Winter cruising North in Australia

Now would be a good time for cruise lines to introduce winter cruising North in Australia. 

Possibilities within Australia would be Darwin, Australia's most unique tropical Capital.  Or longer cruises to Broome from the East Coast, with different ports of call each way.  

Possibilities overseas would be PNG, including the North of PNG, and the Solomon Islands and other islands in the Region. 

This region has so much to offer, yet neglected by the cruise industry.  

I think the people in PNG and the Solomons would reasonably run for high ground if they saw a cruise ship arrive in the next few months.Their medical facilities just could not cope.  

Edited by Pushka
1 minute ago, Pushka said:

I think the people in PNG and the Solomons would reasonably run for high ground if they saw a cruise ship arrive in the next few months.Their medical facilities just could not cope.  

Agreed. I think we all agree that there will be no cruising for many months. I don't think we are going to see any for at least a year.☹️

Forgetting Covid for a minute...even before the current crisis...the area is not Neglected by the cruise industry...it’s that they would struggle to make a profit from cruising up there. On here, we all tend to be cruise lovers and committed to cruising, but we don’t make up the majority of people on cruise...they still need to attract Mum and Dad cruisers, preferably with some more members of their family.

Darwin at the best of times, is expensive to get too, accomodation is hard to find at decent prices and then most ports that can accomodate a cruise ship are not close....so a cruise out of Darwin needs to be at generally greater than 12;days...meaning with travel times both side....at least two weeks off work for people....a big commitment. Most of us on this website would do that...but I go back to my earlier point...we don’t make up most of the people on a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

8 minutes ago, palks said:

Forgetting Covid for a minute...even before the current crisis...the area is not Neglected by the cruise industry...it’s that they would struggle to make a profit from cruising up there. On here, we all tend to be cruise lovers and committed to cruising, but we don’t make up the majority of people on cruise...they still need to attract Mum and Dad cruisers, preferably with some more members of their family.

Darwin at the best of times, is expensive to get too, accomodation is hard to find at decent prices and then most ports that can accomodate a cruise ship are not close....so a cruise out of Darwin needs to be at generally greater than 12;days...meaning with travel times both side....at least two weeks off work for people....a big commitment. Most of us on this website would do that...but I go back to my earlier point...we don’t make up most of the people on a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I meant cruises to and from Darwin from Sydney or Brisbane.  I have done a cruise from Sydney to Darwin, with flight back, when I was working, and loved it.  Many people take cruises longer than two weeks, as Australians get four weeks annual leave (plus long service leave, if applicable).  Think of how many Australians have cruised overseas, with land travel.  I think in the future, people will be loth to cruise overseas, with long haul flights.  I believe cruising in Australia will become more attractive and competitive.  

43 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Any cruise dreams are 2021 +

(Hopefully when there is a vaccine.)

Edited by MMDown Under

These types of cruises are what Sapphire Princess was scheduled to do this winter from Perth around to Sydney and vice versa which many of us were booked on. 

Leigh

Princess used to do regular Sydney to Perth and vice versa runs over winter. However once Dawn Princess went to P&O they stopped doing them. For the last couple of years there has been a big gap in their Aussies itineraries during winter.

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Think of how many Australians have cruised overseas, with land travel.  I think in the future, people will be loth to cruise overseas, with long haul flights.  I believe cruising in Australia will become more attractive and competitive.  

Experts are predicting that flights will become expensive and therefore out of reach to many people. So cruising will actually be more attractive to many who cannot afford flying. And I think all this publicity about cruising might actually put it on people's radar. 

5 minutes ago, christodan said:

Experts are predicting that flights will become expensive and therefore out of reach to many people. So cruising will actually be more attractive to many who cannot afford flying. And I think all this publicity about cruising might actually put it on people's radar. 

When I first travelled overseas, I went by ship, because that was the least expensive way to travel to UK.  P&O used to cruise to Goa, India to exchange their crew.  Then flights became less expensive, so that became the preferred method of travel long distance.  P&O Crew then were flown to their ships.

Many people, like me, will no longer cruise in inside cabins on big ships, however, I believe small ships will become more popular  

9 minutes ago, christodan said:

It would be nice to think so , but unfortunately ALL travel will become much more expensive. 
The cruise lines have huge amounts to recover and compliance with new regulations will be expensive ....

Who is going to pay for it ?

1 minute ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It would be nice to think so , but unfortunately ALL travel will become much more expensive. 
The cruise lines have huge amounts to recover and compliance with new regulations will be expensive ....

Who is going to pay for it ?

Well we all will pay for it, but they will have to balance recovering their costs and losing so many cruisers that they will have too many empty cabins. 

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I first travelled overseas, I went by ship, because that was the least expensive way to travel to UK.  P&O used to cruise to Goa, India to exchange their crew.  Then flights became less expensive, so that became the preferred method of travel long distance.  P&O Crew then were flown to their ships.

Many people, like me, will no longer cruise in inside cabins on big ships, however, I believe small ships will become more popular  

That sounded really adventurous. I know when my grandparents emigrated  from Europe it was a hellish cruise that went for weeks. They never 'cruised' again lol.

3 minutes ago, christodan said:

That sounded really adventurous. I know when my grandparents emigrated  from Europe it was a hellish cruise that went for weeks. They never 'cruised' again lol.

It was for a girl on her own.  My cruises to and fro UK were six weeks each.  But both were part of world cruises, so had full entertainment programmes.  They say the reason Perth has such a high English population, is because people wanted to get off the ship at the first Aust port of call.  

57 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They say the reason Perth has such a high English population, is because people wanted to get off the ship at the first Aust port of call.  

Ha ha  ! I never heard that before !

My husband's ancestors were convicts that came here in the early 1800s. Having read a bit about these trips, making the choice between a hanging in England or being sent to Australia on these ships where you may not have made it alive doesn't sound so easy after all.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I meant cruises to and from Darwin from Sydney or Brisbane.

I like the idea too, though I have no idea how practical it is.

But there would definitely need to be at least one port between Cairns and Darwin.

I notice that Nhulunbuy has a deep water port, but no idea if it is suitable for cruise ships. It would be a nice stopover. Apparently the town has been dying since the alumina refinery closed down in 2014. So cruise ship tourism would be a nice boost.

As far as points of interest, Yirrkala is nearby which is well known as a centre of aboriginal art, there is a proposal for an Arnhem Space Centre, and it is of course a good jumping point for seeing Eastern Arnhem Land.

I would love to see cruises in northern Australian waters for the winter season.  I would love it if they used Sun or Sea and took in places like Christmas & Cocos Keeling Island (which are duty free stops) and also they could do island stops off the Queensland coast.  Would have to be the smaller ships though, as these places could not cope with the larger ships.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I like the idea too, though I have no idea how practical it is.

But there would definitely need to be at least one port between Cairns and Darwin.

I notice that Nhulunbuy has a deep water port, but no idea if it is suitable for cruise ships. It would be a nice stopover. Apparently the town has been dying since the alumina refinery closed down in 2014. So cruise ship tourism would be a nice boost.

As far as points of interest, Yirrkala is nearby which is well known as a centre of aboriginal art, there is a proposal for an Arnhem Space Centre, and it is of course a good jumping point for seeing Eastern Arnhem Land.

Thursday Island could be a port of call for small ships. 

Nhulunbuy could be a port of call.  

Yirrkala, as a centre of aboriginal art, would be of interest.

Seven Spirit Bay is a beautiful place, with great fishing.

Tiwi Islands have beautiful aboriginal art and screen printing.  Would be great to watch the locals play football. 

Lots of interesting day trips from Darwin. 

When I was in Alaska, locals were shocked that the cruise ships were going to make a port of call at the site of a salmon cannery - Icy Strait Point.

On my last cruise, a staff member mentioned that his favourite place was an island off the North Queensland Coast, where their ship stopped.  I had never heard of it.  There is so much to see and discover in the North, as long as the cruise ships don't spoil it.   

14 minutes ago, rickays said:

I would love to see cruises in northern Australian waters for the winter season.  I would love it if they used Sun or Sea and took in places like Christmas & Cocos Keeling Island (which are duty free stops) and also they could do island stops off the Queensland coast.  Would have to be the smaller ships though, as these places could not cope with the larger ships.

Yes, also there is a beautiful island off the WA Coast I'd love to visit.  

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

On my last cruise, a staff member mentioned that his favourite place was an island off the North Queensland Coast, where their ship stopped.

Probably Sherrard Island, near Lockhart River. HAL used to stop there, and I think some of the luxury lines still do (or did).

Edited by SinbadThePorter
1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Probably Sherrard Island, near Lockhart. HAL used to stop there, and I think some of the luxury lines still do (or did).

This was Noble Caledonia.  He said they had a special relationship with the local aboriginals.

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

By the time cruising is available again the north will be too hot again.

We're talking about next winter.  We want the ships here for the Australian winter.  Having to stay home now as winter is approaching I am already feeling the cold and wishing I could go north but WA has been divided into areas and us grey nomads in Perth are not allowed to go north!  To take my mind off this winter I am dreaming of all the things I can do next winter and cruising the north of Aus would be one of them 😁

16 minutes ago, rickays said:

We're talking about next winter.  We want the ships here for the Australian winter.  Having to stay home now as winter is approaching I am already feeling the cold and wishing I could go north but WA has been divided into areas and us grey nomads in Perth are not allowed to go north!  To take my mind off this winter I am dreaming of all the things I can do next winter and cruising the north of Aus would be one of them 😁

Sorry - but LOL here - you're cold in Perth???? We lived in Perth for a couple of  years loved the weather there - but you have 22C there today!  I'm hoping that at least Australia will open up to NZ travellers later in  the year - because for medical reasons I can't spend the winter at home ie I get cold and grumpy without a tropical beach