Cunard's Cancellations/Refunds Update 23rd April 2020

rog747

44 minutes ago, macsford said:

Hi Chris and Roger

I hope to have an update when we phone Cunard tomorrow. On Saturday we phoned 3 times and after pressing a variety of buttons with a variety of options (you know how it works!) each time it went to cut off. The intention was to discuss this ridiculous situation with them and ask for a week's extension. We expect to get through tomorrow and reach some amicable agreement.

If necessary I shall ask a very devious question : If we transfer our booking to the same thing leaving Southampton on 2 October this year , that would give us an extra 26 days before final payment. It is still showing as for sale. Of course, we all know that will also be cancelled.  I don't remember seeing anything to say we can't do that. Just a lot of trouble for all of us and the same end result.

Just wish I had thought of it sooner.

Will let you know what happens. Sandra

Try hitting the "Book a new cruise" buttons

10 hours ago, wirralgirl01 said:

Transatlantic crossing booked via TA for 31/05 from New York. Should be disembarking at Southampton today!!

Form submitted to Cunard for full refund on 27/04.

No communication from either Cunard or TA since.

Looked at bank account this morning and found full refund (from TA) paid in on Friday 05/06 so

68 days after form submission.

CONGRATULATIONS!    I was supposed to be on that same cruise.  I, too, have received no communication since I filed my request for a refund.  However, unlike you, I am still waiting as no refund has found its way to me.  It certainly would have been nice to have spent the past week on the Queen Mary II.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ozbrian said:

I imagine that a lot of the bookings would be people who have taken FCC's and are trying to use them.

That is my impression too and there is probably little new money going into those bookings. It is 2022 and beyond that will determine if the brand has been adversly affected by its poor communication and tardiness in its dealings with current customers. 

On 6/6/2020 at 8:50 PM, bazzaw said:

Perhaps a very good reason as to why NOT to take FCC instead of refund?? BTW - good luck with those 2021 sailings! 

On 6/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Agree with Victoria2 there must be many loyal customers,  all cruises I  fancy are fully booked in QG in 2021

I did take a refund,  have done so with other cruise lines, for the very same reason.

My suggestion to Cunard and P&O, was to replicate 2020 schedule in 2022 and offer everyone who didn't want a refund same cabin , same cruise for what we'd paid.   No response 

As you say will see what prices are like for 2022,  still want to see what they do about distancing 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

That is my impression too and there is probably little new money going into those bookings. It is 2022 and beyond that will determine if the brand has been adversly affected by its poor communication and tardiness in its dealings with current customers. 

I'm sure you're spot on there with regards to little new money but the fact many may have taken up the FCC offers instead of requesting outright refunds must show  loyalty to the brand in quite a few of their passengers.

I have no fears that Cunard won't eventually triumph. It will probably be a different Cunard to that which we're used to, at least initially,  but then I think all cruise lines will be functioning  somewhat outside their normal everyday operations.

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm sure you're spot on there with regards to little new money but the fact many may have taken up the FCC offers instead of requesting outright refunds must show  loyalty to the brand in quite a few of their passengers.

I have no fears that Cunard won't eventually triumph. It will probably be a different Cunard to that which we're used to, at least initially,  but then I think all cruise lines will be functioning  somewhat outside their normal everyday operations.

I love the Brand. The Grills had me hooked and I want to spend all my future cruise ££££ continuing that experience. I also want Cunard to be honest in its communications with me too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

I love the Brand. The Grills had me hooked and I want to spend all my future cruise ££££ continuing that experience. I also want Cunard to be honest in its communications with me too.

I agree with you. The company hasn't covered itself in glory so far but, I was replying to the fact the brand might be compromised in the future.

I don't think it will, in the long term.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I agree with you. The company hasn't covered itself in glory so far but, I was replying to the fact the brand might be compromised in the future.

I don't think it will, in the long term.

I hope so too.

Hello Roger and Chris

Spoke to Cunard this morning.

The final balance for our 4 September 14 night TA then second week on board to Quebec was due on 6 June. 

We don't want the 125% cruise credit on the full amount as next year's Canada/New England itineraries do not appeal : just want the TA  and do not have time in our schedule to use more between the time we feel comfortable cruising again and the expiry date of the future credit. 

We have agreed that our deposit plus pre paid airfare is protected even though we are not paying the balance, so will get the 125% on the money already paid. We also had to prepay our airfare as we wanted to return from Toronto instead of Quebec  so are happy with this arrangement. 

(Previous emails were not answered , only a standard acknowledgement which did not address any of our questions.)

An announcement to cancel Canada cruises is apparently expected this week.  

I would suggest that those with an imminent final balance date should telephone if the announcement does not come this week.

Unfortunately I have to agree that Cunard hasn't performed well on this occasion and has caused a lot of additional uncertainty, but am now satisfied with our outcome.

I hope that that information is useful.  

Sandra

I am delighted to say that a full refund for my 16 April QV cruise, applied for on 16 Mar, has now been credited to my CC account. I can now look forward with confidence in my search to find an appropriate Grills suite to make up for the one that I lost. 

• Like 5

Hi Sandra,

thanks for the update. That’s good to hear and I will be giving them a call this week as my balance is due Saturday. Just checking through the various bookings, deposits, transfers and additional costs (flight upgrades) I have a right spaghetti of monies to sort out. 

45 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

I am delighted to say that a full refund for my 16 April QV cruise, applied for on 16 Mar, has now been credited to my CC account. I can now look forward with confidence in my search to find an appropriate Grills suite to make up for the one that I lost. 

Good news , but unless you  want a fly cruise, no grills left out of Southampton for 2021

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Good news , but unless you  want a fly cruise, no grills left out of Southampton for 2021

Windsurfboy. That was the very reason I went for a refund . I am confined to Southampton sailings and knew that I would struggle getting a grill in the timeframe. I will be looking out now to 2022.

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not quite accurate.

There are  QG suites left for next year, Southampton departure/return. The only fly in the ointment is it seems on the cruises I looked at for a friend, Cunard will choose the position for you. I didn't look for any PG availability.

I suppose that's a sort of guaranteed booking.

Edit

Just looked today and there are eight suites left now so not even on a guarantee. I'm sure one or two other itineraries will have availability.

Edited by Victoria2

For those keeping score and/or counting the days, today my US credit card issuer notified me that on June 6 my account was credited with a full refund on our cancelled May 13 TA.  Both the cancellation and the refund request were on March 30, so the interval was 68 days.  The booking was made through a US travel agent, who submitted the refund request on my behalf.

Still waiting for the refund on our May 31 QV Norway cruise, which we cancelled April 3 on the basis of a promised full refund, in anticipation of Cunard eventually pulling the plug (as it did just a few days later).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

Clagmeister so pleased you received your refund. I have watched your posts closely as we applied for our refund on 17 Mar for a  Mar 26 cruise thought ours might arrive same time as yours. Nothing so far but I think Cunard have forgotten us in OZ. Out of sight out of mind seems to be their motto. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jland said:

Clagmeister so pleased you received your refund. I have watched your posts closely as we applied for our refund on 17 Mar for a  Mar 26 cruise thought ours might arrive same time as yours. Nothing so far but I think Cunard have forgotten us in OZ. Out of sight out of mind seems to be their motto. 

Thank you and I really hope your refund is sorted soon and we can all look forward to cruising again on these beautiful ships.

3 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

Thank you and I really hope your refund is sorted soon and we can all look forward to cruising again on these beautiful ships.

Very happy for you and others receiving refunds.

A social media post from someone who works in accounts in an Australian agency "Cunard have not issued any refunds to agencies except for a very few way back in March. The cruise line gives the customer the date they've processed the refund, it then takes at least 4 weeks for the cheque to hit our PO box. We aim to refund within 1 week of receiving the cheque".

It's a shame that in Australia, these cheques cannot be sent directly to the customer. 

• Like 1

We are due to sail on 21 October this year (Madeira & Canaries) and the balance is due to be paid before the end of June.

However, I've just noticed that on the Cunard site, all sailings prior to November 2020 have disappeared, but on the same site, Cunard still state that they have paused operations until 31 July 2020.

Anyone know what's happening?

Stewart

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

We are due to sail on 21 October this year (Madeira & Canaries) and the balance is due to be paid before the end of June.

However, I've just noticed that on the Cunard site, all sailings prior to November 2020 have disappeared, but on the same site, Cunard still state that they have paused operations until 31 July 2020.

Stewart

Over the weekend the Canadian cruises disappeared from the booking site, for which I posted.   They could be seen again a little later even though the North American ports are closed. Cunard need to make an announcement as it is truly unethical to take funds for cruises they know will not happen. As it is we are 90 days waiting for the first refund.

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Stewart

To add another observation, I see the Cunard Australia website is not listing any voyages at the moment for any search criteria other than voyage number. A basic search there with no specific search criteria is producing the message "We're sorry; no voyages can be found to match your filters at present."

It is possible to retrieve voyages for November 2020 onward on the Australia site using a search by voyage number. So the end result is the same in the sense that the Cunard Australia site has in essence removed voyages departing prior to November.

The Cunard US website is similar to the UK website in that the voyage search criteria has removed all voyages prior to November.

My take on this development is that they have just given us a preview of what may be officially announced soon. It's reminiscent of what happened back in mid-April when the May, June, and July voyages disappeared from the Cunard websites for a day or two prior to the official announcement that those voyages were indeed cancelled about a week later. Hopefully the official word from Cunard will be coming shortly. We've had previous posts indicating an announcement from Cunard about further cancellations should be coming within the next couple days.