About time for the next update

Given the another line have announced no cruising until after 31st July, the ball is now in CMV's court to say what they are going to do.  My cruise was meant to be mid-July but don't think there is any hope at all of that going ahead.

I am sorry that CMV are being so tardy in letting people know what is going on.  It is not good enough and damages the reputation of the company if they are not keeping their customers fully informed of developments even in an uncertain age such as we are in presently.

This would have been my first cruise with CMV and it has not got off to a good start.  Now say cancelled until 24 May, but I think that is being very hopeful.

10 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

This would have been my first cruise with CMV and it has not got off to a good start.  Now say cancelled until 24 May, but I think that is being very hopeful.

Thats a very old message.  I use the term very old in virus years.  Given its less then a month away they really need to be letting their customers know what is happening.

They seem to be updating it monthly. Possibly so that they're not dealing with a huge amount of refund requests at once. My cruise was supposed to be tomorrow (26 April) and we weren't told until 6 April that it was cancelled. Worse yet they still had cabins for booking on the website!

I agree it's not good enough

I know they are not the biggest cruise line in the market but frankly I am losing confidence in this company.  If they want me to take FCC then they need to instill confidence in their ability to still be in business in the next year.   They are curently treating customers as unimportant.

5 hours ago, comcox said:

Suppose to be an update at the end of this week--so about May 8th.

They are still selling May 25th online.

Just had a look to see when they are selling cruises from.  Earliest available date is 1st July from Greenock so it probably means our cruise from Belfast on 24th June is no longer as it was available last week.

• 4 weeks later...

The frustration continues with this line continues.

We are meant to be sailing to the fjords on 19th July 2020 and still no word as to whether this cruise is proceeding or not.  I just telephoned customer services and they have no clue.  I have left a message with customer services to find out from their management team what the heck is happening - they MUST know more than they are telling their pesky customers.

All other lines seem to be handling the situation with a lot more professionalism - just like the pandemic itself!!

I have booked, with some remorse now, the flotilla sailing for next year and after that; no more of this line for me.

If someone does get back to me today, I will update this post.

1 hour ago, panamapd said:

The frustration continues with this line continues.

We are meant to be sailing to the fjords on 19th July 2020 and still no word as to whether this cruise is proceeding or not.  I just telephoned customer services and they have no clue.  I have left a message with customer services to find out from their management team what the heck is happening - they MUST know more than they are telling their pesky customers.

All other lines seem to be handling the situation with a lot more professionalism - just like the pandemic itself!!

I have booked, with some remorse now, the flotilla sailing for next year and after that; no more of this line for me.

If someone does get back to me today, I will update this post.

Please.  Mine is July 10th.  No word of anything.  Its clearly not going.  Don't know why they are holding off announcing it.

Posted (edited)

P&O have cancelled all sailings until October the 15th:-    https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories

Within the text on their website they say, "We are working with government and industry bodies at the highest possible level, such as Public Health England and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to review every aspect of a holiday with us and establish a framework of policies and procedures. Our aspiration is to be adopting best practice in managing COVID-19 within the travel industry."

Fred also sent out a a similar text in an email a week or so ago, about working with other cruise lines, Government, Public Health England etc. about a way forward when cruises re start, regards what will be required on their ships.

Hence all UK cruise companies sailing from the UK likely to be going along a similar route perhaps?

I agree CMV being a tad late in announcing cancellations for early July, though the normal is to do this on a rolling basis a month ahead of the holiday when FCO advise against travel (for instance), so I am not unduly surprised.  It is also a way they can deal with cancellations/refunds etc. on a cruise by cruise basis.  I doubt anyone really expects to see cruising happening in July.

Have CMV made any refunds at all yet?  I know P&O have only recently stated coughing up?

Edited by tring

No news I'm afraid.  I telephoned CMV as, not unexpectedly, nobody returned my call.  It was a pretty futile call.  The representative seemed surprised that I needed to know if this cruise was going ahead and why was I bothering them!  I explained that the organisation my husband and I work for, need to know if we still require next month's annual leave and obviously for various other reasons that goes with going on summer hols as a family.

The rep asked why I didn't check with the website! I replied that it only tells me that cruises are cancelled up to 30th June.  The rep then said there will be news about any cancellations before 30th June.  So, back to my earlier question, when? She wasn't able to say.  She said these were extraordinary times (I hadn't realised!)

When I went on to say all other major lines had cancelled up to September/October so that their customers were able to proceed with their future plans, she just replied that all cruise lines had different policies!   

Finally, I requested another phone call from the "management team".  The earliest they are able to call back will be Thursday.  Fingers crossed for concrete news...............

I had read on FB that there was suppose to be an announcement this past Monday, but nothing happened. Now someone said they phoned CMV yesterday and was told it will be next week.  When all this happened and my spring cruises were cancelled, I tried to be very supportive of CMV as well as the other UK cruise lines by rebooking, etc.  But I am really about out of patience with CMV now.  I rebooked one of my May cruises to September, but as I have to fly from US I really need to know if it will happen or not.  CMV still wants their money in a couple of weeks but I'm still waiting on a large refund from them.  If things don't improve soon, I will not be cruising with CMV after this.

The above seems to prove what I have found - the onboard crews tend to display much better customer relations than the office and administrative staff.  I accept they are probably feeling some what overwhelmed at the moment (who wouldn't be?) but if other cruise companies can update customers on a regular basis and treat them in a professional way there is no apparent reason why CMV shouldn't do the same.  They must have an eye on their future too: customers do not forget their experience and CMV should always remember there are other cruise companies vying for business.  I have not been impressed with what I have read over the past months on their singular lack of customer appreciation.  I also accept that some customers tend to exaggerate their situations.

Well, I have just spoken to the travel agent who I have booked next year's sailing with.  I was paying by direct debit the cost of the cruise over a 15th month period.  I have just cancelled the direct debit so that all I have tied up with CMV is the deposit as I have no intention of giving them anymore money than I have to. 

When next years final balance becomes due - and they are still trading - I will cancel the cruise.  I have no interest whatsoever in travelling with them again.  There are so many other cruise lines to chose from (at the moment!) even if we have to pay a bit more.

Good luck everyone!

Another day passes and no news at all.  Lets say for a second that they actually intend to sail on the 10th July or indeed on the 1st as they are still selling them.  I would expect at the minimum that they should be letting me know now exactly how they are going to protect us by social distancing while on board.  How are meals going to be handled, how many people can sit in the bars?  Will masks be manditory when indoors?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Another day passes and no news at all.  Lets say for a second that they actually intend to sail on the 10th July or indeed on the 1st as they are still selling them.  I would expect at the minimum that they should be letting me know now exactly how they are going to protect us by social distancing while on board.  How are meals going to be handled, how many people can sit in the bars?  Will masks be manditory when indoors?

Have they opened up shore tour booking for your cruise yet?  They usually do this 8 weeks in advance and if nothing is posted I would say that's a good indicator it's not going.  I'm waiting to hear on September cruise but they want their final payment in 10 days.  Their website showing flexible booking conditions through end of August so I'm guessing they are unsure about cruising that far at least.

Edited by comcox
On 6/5/2020 at 8:51 AM, comcox said:

Have they opened up shore tour booking for your cruise yet?  They usually do this 8 weeks in advance and if nothing is posted I would say that's a good indicator it's not going.  I'm waiting to hear on September cruise but they want their final payment in 10 days.  Their website showing flexible booking conditions through end of August so I'm guessing they are unsure about cruising that far at least.

No shore excursion showing.  I did email them to ask for an update. If this ship is sailing then I would need to get to it and that means a train journey which would need booked.  Truth is if it was sailing I would not be on board.  They got back and stated cruises only cancelled till end of June and if there was an update they would update.  This is now the 9th June and in theory there is a cruise leaving on the 1st July.   If they were intending to sail then they would have to issue proper instructions to all passengers about what restrictions were going to be onboard.

The more they do this the less chance I will ever sail with them again, which would be a shame as there are a couple of cruises I like the look of.  I can't use FCC for them as I am already away on P&O at the time they sail.

Why couldn't he be honest and say "like other cruise lines we will not be sailing for several months"

Have CMV really got crew ready to start in a few weeks?

Have CMV really got ports who will accept their ships?

It's just nonsense!

They will NOT be sailing in July!

If I am wrong I will write a personal letter of apology to Mr Hall and donate £100 to a maritime charity.

Will he agree to make the same donation if they do not sail in July?

Mr Hall?