If I Ran BPCL- 4/23/20 Edition

I love classic ships and the Bahamas so I am a BPCL fan.  They earned points with me when they jumped in and helped the Bahamas after the horrible storms.  Times are tough- but here is a possibly crazy idea.  The new US CDC memo is serious- so they need to follow it.  

The idea is to run an overnight ferry/cruise to Freeport and back.  And or Nassau.  And or Freeport to Nassau.  Charge $79 or $99.  Test before you leave, maybe on the way out.  Branding: "Ferry to the Fun."   Or maybe if ferries are not allowed you leave the current schedule in place.  

Talk to your Bahamas Government folks.  They like you.  If you can get a rock solid agreement to let you dock in Freeport *no matter what* (like with 20 infected people- unlikely overnight) you are golden.  Figure out a plan to handle/treat/quarantine infected passengers and crew over there.   Possibly a clinic or closed resort or a floor of the hospital.  You need transportation and medical staff on standby.   

Talk to West Palm Beach - the same idea.  No calling the US Coast Guard- they are tired of this.    

You will need to social distance.  Sorry folks this means masks.  I get this is all political but whatever.  Complainers can wave from shore.  

You rent out the outside cabins.  Crew and an expanded medical department are on the inside cabins.   Air is not recirculated between cabins.  

Food is probably grab and go or every other table or room service.   Bar service the same.  Set out beers on the table.  Pay with tokens in a slot.  Tables  6' apart.   A masked steel band on deck seems OK.  

Make a foot operated elevator button or voice operated or somebody in a serious hazmat suit.  Technical detail.  

No lines allowed.  

Every other lounger.  Same with slot machines.  Maybe they get moved outdoors.  Yea you will get a funny facemask tan.

Let Bahamas people on also- and maybe have some local shops and entertainers aboard.  

This is a funky cooperative effort but needs both ends (WPB and Freeport) + all the customs rules 100% in.  

Yea it's not the 2019 cruise experience- but the entire industry is idled.  If I'm on a ship and on the way to the Bahamas - what are my complaints exactly?  

Edited by ew101
6 hours ago, ew101 said:

Yea it's not the 2019 cruise experience- but the entire industry is idled.  If I'm on a ship and on the way to the Bahamas - what are my complaints exactly?  

While the law that prohibits needs to be changed, why not just a 2 day cruise to nowhere?  If I am reading between the lines of your post correctly, your first priority is to BE AT SEA!  😀  Me too! 

I think it might be OK to lobby someone modify or suspend the rules against US based cruises to nowhere (these restrictions are related to crew labor/tax laws I think) for the duration here- or find a loophole like anchoring/docking in a foreign port but not actually going ashore.  The idea is the departure US port has to take you back, infected or not.   Maybe you sail to Freeport, dock, take on 10 cases of local rum and a pallet of handmade craft items (which might count as a port visit), party overnight and return.  ChengKP says Technical Port Stops are not allowed but maybe you go to a shopping village area.    This could be staffed by Bahamas locals on the crew so it would not cause problems on land.  

Yea the idea to be at sea.  

Edited by ew101
14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

While the law that prohibits needs to be changed, why not just a 2 day cruise to nowhere?  If I am reading between the lines of your post correctly, your first priority is to BE AT SEA!  😀  Me too! 

I always want to be at sea. Love the idea of a cruise to nowhere because the ship to me was always my highlight. A hotel at sea🥰

9 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

I would like Classica to be out of Miami and do nighttime visits to Nassau. 

I wouldn’t I live 8 miles from the port of Palm Beach. When I sail on other cruise lines I dread going down there. 

6 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

I wouldn’t I live 8 miles from the port of Palm Beach. When I sail on other cruise lines I dread going down there. 

After my January sailing from the Port of Miami as a driver, I won't be back.  At least, in a private car.  Even then, my embarkation experience as a Yacht Club guest on MSC Meraviglia was very disappointing, and somewhat chaotic.

5 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

But you have Grand Celebration, you don't need a second ship.

I like the the Grand Classica more than the Celebration. Even though BPCL maintains the Celebration well it has had some dubious entries into the port in not so rough seas. I think it’s time for her to be retired before she capsizes in rough seas. Besides the Grand Classica is far more beautiful ship. I agree we only need one ship.

On 4/25/2020 at 12:32 PM, pinkie60 said:

We no longer cruise out of Miami, haven't for several years now even though the cruises are far less expensive. Once we pass Fort Lauderdale it is so hectic and down right dangerous on I-95. You drive 5 over the limit and they are flying by you and cut in front of you just to squeeze in a space. The road is also dangerous with all the filled holes and many are higher and lower than the main road. The lanes change constantly. Fort Lauderdale is an easy drive and Port Canaveral is far better. Port of Palm Beach is a breeze to drive there. Living in Port Saint Lucie is a great location for those three ports.

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We no longer cruise out of Miami, haven't for several years now even though the cruises are far less expensive. Once we pass Fort Lauderdale it is so hectic and down right dangerous on I-95. You drive 5 over the limit and they are flying by you and cut in front of you just to squeeze in a space. The road is also dangerous with all the filled holes and many are higher and lower than the main road. The lanes change constantly. Fort Lauderdale is an easy drive and Port Canaveral is far better. Port of Palm Beach is a breeze to drive there. Living in Port Saint Lucie is a great location for those three ports.

For a few years, I had a friend who lived in Fort Pierce and we would drive to Port Everglades from her home.  As you say, not difficult whatsoever.

In January, based upon my previous I-95 experiences in Miami, I chose to transfer from Port Everglades to Port Miami by using US 1.  It was a Sunday morning--both ways.  But, it was very easy driving, rather scenic for this first time visitor to that area in many years.  In Miami, making the connection from US 1 to the road that led to the Port was not an issue.  Signage was excellent.  Once in the Port, however:  what signage?  chaotic, confusing traffic patterns.  Did it once.  Won't be doing it again, I can assure you.