Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

I guess that is why all the medical people are wearing them, because they are asymptomatic and might give it to the COVID19 patients who already have it, the brilliance of it all, LOL

I had surgery in late-January.  My surgeon stopped by my room the next day.  He told me that he was wearing a mask to protect me from him and not because he could catch something from me.

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I had surgery in late-January.  My surgeon stopped by my room the next day.  He told me that he was wearing a mask to protect me from him and not because he could catch something from me.

Was that an N95 mask or regular surgical mask. People have said there's a difference.

I have heard standard practice is to replace a surgical mask every two hours to be effective, reusable masks need to be washed regularly and N95 masks also need the filter replaced regularly. If people are not committing to good mask hygiene I wonder if it would not contribute to other health problems🤔.

The idea of wearing gloves however is maybe an idea worth considering. 

• Like 1

I definitely wouldn't wear one.  I can't imagine wanting to cruise wearing a mask, social distancing (impossible on a cruise ship) or any of the other precautions.

Our Governor just extended our lockdown and finally is making people wear masks to stores, etc.  Don't get me started on that.  lol

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

made my masks with elastic straps that go around my head, not my ears.  Much more comfortable that way.

That's the type of mask that I really need.  Can't find such.  I see my PCP next week and I am hoping he will be able to provide me a source to obtains that type of mask.

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would rather have my temperature taken or be tested for the virus before boarding

But you could have no fever or any other symptoms but still be contagious. And, as far as testing, doesn't a good antibody test take a couple of days to get back? And you couldn't do it ahead of time cause you could get it afterwards.

3 hours ago, clo said:

One thing I thought about is that it would be hard to eat your meals. Would the pool(s) be closed? Etc.But then I saw these photos of nurses after wearing their masks.

https://scoop.upworthy.com/healthcare-workers-share-painful-effects-wearing-face-masks-prolonged-periods-of-time?fbclid=IwAR02iq3t7SQa8y26JaZ8hiGG094e7XtO3MHnvGVZU0xoUXTTFYqo3XM4mdE

Those who would be ready to cruise NOW...or before there's a "robust" vaccine...what if the cruise line required masks? Would you wear one? I've thought that I could handle it on a ten hour flight but not a ten day cruise.  You???

If I would be on a cruise before there was a vaccine I would not wear a mask because to be on a cruise I would have to be out of my mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

I asked this because there are people who have said that they would travel immediately upon cruises being available. I'm guessing no vaccine would be available. And the tests take a couple of days or more to come back and would need to be done right before boarding. And lack of fever doesn't mean that someone isn't infected and contagious but asymptomatic. Does a cruise line have any responsibility - legal or ethical - if they resume operations when the passengers are in no better standing than they were back at the beginning of this? I don't see how a ship can provide space for social distancing. Those hallways are awfully narrow. Would they take out half the tables and chairs in any public venue - something that may be mandatory in US restaurants? From what I've read restaurants would go broke as their margins are so slim already. And what about protecting the crew? They'd need private rooms, wouldn't they? And on and on. It was just something that popped into my stay-at-home mind.

well I'm glad your thinkin' about it and I hope with not too much stress.  I'm one of those people you referred about. My ambition to cruise asap is one of hope, careful planning, with some self indulgence sprinkled on top. We booked the Spanish passage booked on the Enchanted over eighteen months ago. I was packed and ready to go September, then this covid thing hit , and hit it did. My wife and I were down for the entire month of January and most of February.  

Knock on wood gif 8 » GIF Images Download

We're ready to go . And hopefully there will be a vaccine by then  so you can join us. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

But you could have no fever or any other symptoms but still be contagious. And, as far as testing, doesn't a good antibody test take a couple of days to get back? And you couldn't do it ahead of time cause you could get it afterwards.

There will never be a perfect solution.  The line has to be drawn at something reasonable.  A person could board a ship with any disease.  Reasonable would be testing before boarding or having passengers prove they have the antibodies.  That's much better than nothing or stopping cruises until there's a vaccine that people may or may not choose to get.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We are advised we cannot visit our daughter and new grandchild for two weeks after the birth for the exact same reasoning.  Not because they could catch something from us, but because our daughter might be exposed while in Hospital and we could catch it from her.  

8 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

A person could board a ship with any disease

You bet. Like noro. Usually not fatal and IIRC not causing the ship to quarantine for 14 days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We are advised we cannot visit our daughter and new grandchild for two weeks after the birth for the exact same reasoning.  Not because they could catch something from us, but because our daughter might be exposed while in Hospital and we could catch it from her.  

I remember when our first grand was born eight years ago. I just could not shake off a cold that I had. Even after two weeks. My research showed that I could still be contagious so we didn't go there for more weeks. Well worth it. And we got major points from our daughter 🙂

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If masks are required anywhere on board a cruise ship, I would not be wearing mine - inside or outside my cabin - because I would be elsewhere.  That sort of precaution would be ineffective if necessary, and absurd if not necessary.

I'm sure you know I was speaking hyperbolically (is that a word?) I just wanted to focus those people who want to cruise asap that there are unanswered questions.

No way am I wearing a mask around the ship. I’d rather get a balcony and enjoy the views from the cabin and order room service than do that. I might be willing to consider wearing a scarf if it were an acceptable alternative. And yes, I’m one of the people anxious to get back on another cruise

4 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I definitely wouldn't wear one.  I can't imagine wanting to cruise wearing a mask, social distancing (impossible on a cruise ship) or any of the other precautions.

Our Governor just extended our lockdown and finally is making people wear masks to stores, etc.  Don't get me started on that.  lol

While I wouldn’t wear a mask, I would social distance. I do believe it’s possible. I would avoid elevators, big parties, the lido deck, and crowded restaurants and dining time. I already prefer the quieter areas of the ship anyway.

7 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

No way am I wearing a mask around the ship. I’d rather get a balcony and enjoy the views from the cabin and order room service than do that. I might be willing to consider wearing a scarf if it were an acceptable alternative. And yes, I’m one of the people anxious to get back on another cruise

Curious why you would wear a scarf but not a mask.

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The idea of wearing gloves however is maybe an idea worth considering. 

what would the point of globes be? Gloves are just as easily contaminated as you’d hands so only useful if you switch them after every surface you touch. I do have a job where I have to wear gloves at work at times and can promise you that that will get old a lot faster than the masks.

I support the mask wearing idea. I think that social distancing where they can (removing half the deck chairs, limiting people in the pool or closing pool) and mandataory mask wearing for everyone where they can’t (as point out, the mask protects other people so it only helps you if everyone is wearing one) will be the only way cruising comes back in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

what would the point of globes be? Gloves are just as easily contaminated as you’d hands so only useful if you switch them after every surface you touch. 

Well that was kind of the reason I thought they would be more effective. I notice people tend to change their gloves more than their masks. I see so many people wearing masks improperly and not well fitted. Gloves at least there are not so many different ways to wear them and they don't need as many instructions on how to fit and care for them. It just seems easier for a mass market environment. 

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

what would the point of globes be? Gloves are just as easily contaminated as you’d hands so only useful if you switch them after every surface you touch. I do have a job where I have to wear gloves at work at times and can promise you that that will get old a lot faster than the masks.

Because the world is not about fact or logic. It is about perception.

14 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I guess that is why all the medical people are wearing them, because they are asymptomatic and might give it to the COVID19 patients who already have it, the brilliance of it all, LOL

The medical people are wearing N-95 masks which are far different from the ones available to others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well that was kind of the reason I thought they would be more effective. I notice people tend to change their gloves more than their masks. I see so many people wearing masks improperly and not well fitted. Gloves at least there are not so many different ways to wear them and they don't need as many instructions on how to fit and care for them. It just seems easier for a mass market environment. 

I have seen a handful of people using gloves in public. No idea how often they are changing them. But good regular hand washing/sanitizing is equal to more effective. Masks actually do offer protection that there's no equivalent no-mask option for. If they are used by everyone. If they are used by only you, then I agree they are probably worse than not wearing one because you touch your face more.