Jump to content

SS/RCCL Finances: Improving, Options, Questions??!!


TLCOhio
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

agree that Stockholm and Tallinn are very good and have much to offer with their charm, history, architecture and character.  Plus, we have super loved Copenhagen, another must-see in this region.

 

Forgot to mention Tallinn and Copenhagen in my post.  Both deserve more than a day's visit.  My first visit to Copenhagen was in 1980.  It has changed enough that it isn't the city that I fondly remember.  

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Russia

 

You spent more time and saw more than I did.  Only visited St. Petersburg (other than Petropavolsk during an Asia Pacific cruise).  Catherine's Palace and Peterhof, we visited, along with the Church of Spilled Blood and a canal trip through the city.  I didn't care for the attitude of some of the citizens whom I encountered.  The guides were difficult to understand, a security guard threatened me when I re-entered the cruise terminal by entering through the "out" door rather than the "in" door; neither of which were labeled as such.  Fortunately, his Supervisor was in the vicinity and told the guard that it was OK to allow me to enter.  We didn't get to the Hermitage; I regret that.  We will differ in our opinion about St. Petersburg.  I would not rank what I saw or experienced as awesome.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I didn't care for the attitude of some of the citizens whom I encountered.  The guides were difficult to understand

 

I think it's a hit or miss. When I visited border control was ridiculously difficult. The ship had told exactly who was coming and handled the paperwork long before we arrived. The ship even confiscated our passports.

 

Then we had a guide to the Peter and Paul Cathedral who was splendid. Her English was perfect (at least to my ear :)), and as a bonus she told a lot about life during communism. She even expressed her unease at the next stop being a souvenir shop which was officially a bath room stop. 

 

The Hermitage was a short tour (we expected simply a ticket and hours). And the hurried Swan Lake wasn't worth the money either.  

Edited by AmazedByCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, rkacruiser said:

You spent more time and saw more than I did.  Only visited St. Petersburg (other than Petropavolsk during an Asia Pacific cruise).  Catherine's Palace and Peterhof, we visited, along with the Church of Spilled Blood and a canal trip through the city.  I didn't care for the attitude of some of the citizens whom I encountered.  The guides were difficult to understand, a security guard threatened me when I re-entered the cruise terminal by entering through the "out" door rather than the "in" door; neither of which were labeled as such.  Fortunately, his Supervisor was in the vicinity and told the guard that it was OK to allow me to enter.  We didn't get to the Hermitage; I regret that.  We will differ in our opinion about St. Petersburg.  I would not rank what I saw or experienced as awesome.  

 

Sorry to hear that your Russia experience did not work as well as what we enjoyed in the summer of 2008. St. Petersburg is one of that places where there is so much to see, do and experience.  Glad that our luck and planning worked well. 

 

From the Wall Street Journal late this afternoon, below are the charts for this past week.  WOW!!  Lots of big moves and shifts!!  Some nice rises and then some rough "bounces" down.  Rocky might be an accurate summary for not just the cruise stocks, but affecting other major firms and industries.  Reactions?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 235,261 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

 

 

Shown below are the Wall Street Journal charts for the past week tracking the three major cruise lines.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

1185545942_ScreenShot2022-02-18at4_25_30PM.thumb.png.95c2b01df5a3cb3bc045bb87a7bb4393.png

 

1946790190_ScreenShot2022-02-18at4_25_54PM.thumb.png.4e913a1f36d18b28f1d26fbcd7fe39ec.png

 

451195608_ScreenShot2022-02-18at4_26_25PM.thumb.png.56b2f228d65fd8ffc2f1680ca43a7191.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a press release connected below this morning, they had this headline: “NCL Corporation Ltd. Announces Closing of $2,035,000,000 of Senior Secured Notes, Senior Unsecured Notes and Exchangeable Notes” with these highlights:NCL Corporation announced today that it has closed its previously announced private offerings of $1,000.0 million aggregate principal amount of its 5.875% senior secured notes due 2027, $600.0 million aggregate principal amount of its 7.750% senior unsecured notes due 2029  and $435.0 million aggregate principal amount of its 2.50% exchangeable senior notes due 2027.  NCLC used the net proceeds from the offerings of the Notes and the Exchangeable Notes to redeem all of the outstanding 12.25% Senior Secured Notes due 2024 and 10.250% Senior Secured Notes due 2026 and intends to use the remainder of such proceeds to make principal payments on debt maturing in the short-term, including, in each case, to pay any accrued and unpaid interest thereon, as well as related premiums, fees and expenses.

 

The money continues to flow for the major cruise lines to stay afloat.  This lowers their interest costs and keeps a nice pile of cash on hand for future operations.  Clearly, Crystal was not able to keep borrowing and therefore folded.  Like a cheap suit?    Right?

 

Full story at:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ncl-corporation-ltd-announces-closing-130000462.html

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 94,550 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Clearly, Crystal was not able to keep borrowing and therefore folded.  Like a cheap suit?    Right?

 

There may be more to the Crystal story that we don't know.  And, probably won't know.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, rkacruiser said:

There may be more to the Crystal story that we don't know.  And, probably won't know.  

 

YES, agree, there is much more to be learned and known about the Crystal "shattering" than what has been reported.  How could their U.S. executives keep taking money and acting like there was no upcoming cash flow problems?  Inquiring minds want to know more!!  Back in May 2021, I had posted about how their parent's stock was down to only worth pennies a share and that no banks would loan them any more money.  What took others so long to figure out that two minus two equaled zero??

 

From the Wall Street Journal closing today, below is how things have slide today.  Carnival was down over 6% today and Norwegian dropped 5.3%.  Not a good sign?  What does Wall Street know that we do yet understand?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,473 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

 

Per the Wall Street Journal at the close of trading today, you can see the big drop and negative trend during the past five days for Royal Caribbean.  Why?  What is driving this lack of confidence?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

597293607_ScreenShot2022-02-23at4_53_56PM.thumb.png.1f9bd7a5ccb36ba6e46631f9041f9cbe.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From the Wall Street Journal closing today, below is how things have slide today.  Carnival was down over 6% today and Norwegian dropped 5.3%.  Not a good sign?

 

With the current international news and how its effect may be on our economy, what would one expect the Market's reaction to be?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Not as negative as I think some are expecting.  

 

Agree that the stock market was not as negative as expected and/or how things started in the morning.  Royal Caribbean is an interesting example.  Closed late yesterday at $80.05. Then, just ten minutes after the opening of the stock market this morning, it was down, DOWN to only $75.69.  Then things rose, finishing going to $81.38 for the day.  Up 1.66% for the day on RCL.   Carnival was up 2.08% for the day.  NCL was up 0.41% for today.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 52,371 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

 

From the Wall Street Journal late this afternoon, here is the closing chart for Royal Caribbean.  Rather a "rocky" roller coaster ride in just one day?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)1455111577_ScreenShot2022-02-24at5_35_16PM.thumb.png.cd7b37016407989eb27563e03a655bce.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unbeknownst to many, around lunch time today I decided to sell, sell, sell (I'd watched too many potential cruises evaporate in the markets over the past few days).  I'm convinced my actions caused the rebound this afternoon...

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Agree that the stock market was not as negative as expected and/or how things started in the morning.

 

I expected a further decrease to maybe 18 for CCL but the markets seem quite happy today. Tuesday I sold at 22.00. 

 

Still convinced that in the long run, if it was just for Covid, cruiseline stocks should return to 2019 levels, more than 100% more. People have had it with Covid and have money. But if the market doesn't believe that or just slightly believes it like the last few months, the short run is more important: higher gas bills, more expensive imports, higher inflation, so less money to be spent on holidays. And much higher fuel prices (and fuel is a huge part of the fare, more than the crew). So I'll just wait for a while to see what happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

, the short run is more important: higher gas bills,

 

After a few years of disappointing results, perhaps the energy companies in my portfolio will now show some "life"?  

 

My mantra:  Buy good companies.  And hold.  Through "thick and thin".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

After a few years of disappointing results, perhaps the energy companies in my portfolio will now show some "life"?  

 

My mantra:  Buy good companies.  And hold.  Through "thick and thin".  

 

I'm less loyal than you I guess. My motivation for selling, keeping or buying a stock in such a huge company stems from greed, and greed only 🙂 And maybe free OBC. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Unbeknownst to many, around lunch time today I decided to sell, sell, sell (I'd watched too many potential cruises evaporate in the markets over the past few days).  I'm convinced my actions caused the rebound this afternoon...

 

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups, including our friend from Virginia being the major, single driving force in uplifting the market with her selling action.  WOW!!  What a powerhouse??!!  Nice to see from our friend in Holland that the old Michael Douglas movie line of "Greed Is Good" fits.  

 

From the Wall Street Journal late today, below are the charts for the three major cruise ship lines.  For Thursday and Friday, it was a major positive move in the overall market, plus for these cruise companies.  What will happen next week?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,930 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

 

 

From the Wall Street Journal late this afternoon, here is the closing chart for the three major cruise lines.  Bothe overall markets and these three stocks moved up, UP significantly during the past two days.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1144931931_ScreenShot2022-02-25at4_11_09PM.thumb.png.940630dc1c3cbf478337a1bf0bf29037.png

 

2021961841_ScreenShot2022-02-25at4_11_35PM.thumb.png.717fb1736ccafe5a1a128922a9b3f8d6.png

 

1156568177_ScreenShot2022-02-25at4_12_12PM.thumb.png.a886ce2ca76c228d9dab795eb9feb193.png

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Nice to see from our friend in Holland that the old Michael Douglas movie line of "Greed Is Good" fits

 

That was a bad movie, but greed is the reason that the cruise lines can operate in the first place. Someone's got to pay for the ships.

 

I do invest and hold in some crowdfunded companies because I like the people, and I like their product. Not completely charity, one could be the next Apple, but they'll probably fail like most start ups do.

 

My loyalty to CCL is exactly zero, but I do want them to earn money for me, and they want my money to buy ships or live through Covid. I feel no compassion whatsoever for a multi-billion company, the only reason I invested in CCL is that I sailed with them. It could have been RCCL or gold or Amazon.

 

So yes, I do think that greed is good because it automatically directs money to the companies that are likely to provide a product that people want. The product could be better or cheaper or more sustainable, the consumer decides where to buy. Greed provides a win-win-win situation for me, good companies and the rest of the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2022 at 12:42 PM, AmazedByCruising said:

Let's hope this crisis comes to an end. I'm not that interested in stock prices at this moment, but I think that as soon as there is a glimpse of hope the cruise lines will probably make a huge jump. 

 

Appreciate these comments and follow-up about the stock market.  Not sure on the crisis our friend from Holland was citing.  Ukraine vs. Putin or Covid?  Or, both?  Both are tangled and very unfortunate.    

 

From the Wall Street Journal below at mid-day Thursday, you can see a major drop in the value for Royal Caribbean.  Carnival is down 3.3% today.  Norwegian ia down 2.2% this morning.  For RCL, this current value under $73 a share is a new pricing low since early January 2022.  Will post more after the Friday afternoon of the NY stock exchange.  

 

My guess is that the scrubbing of Russian stops in the Baltics and Black Sea will affect cruise company business and stock values.  Right or wrong?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 48,499 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

 

1988675074_ScreenShot2022-03-03at12_12_03PM.thumb.png.e2a54de6e40582e97a22b2efb4f589f5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these comments and follow-up about the stock market.  Not sure on the crisis our friend from Holland was citing.  Ukraine vs. Putin or Covid?  Or, both?  Both are tangled and very unfortunate.    

 

The situation in Ukraine might be the biggest crisis I've seen in my life time. Coincidentally I read a piece about the history of pandemics, and the main message was that the end of pandemics always have lead to unrest (and not the "better world" that some dreamt of for when it just started).  

Not that I think we're ready with Covid.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

The situation in Ukraine might be the biggest crisis I've seen in my life time.

 

If this leads to WW III, yes, I would have to agree.

 

My life seems to have been filled with one geopolitical crisis after another:  

Born during WW II

Korea

Cuba

Vietnam

Iraq vs. Kuwait 

9/11 and the events that arose from that terrible day

More Iraq

Afghanistan

Now, Ukraine 

 

Read Matthew 24.6 or Mark 13.7.  

 

Then, I ask my God:  why must this be so?  

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

If this leads to WW III, yes, I would have to agree.

 

My life seems to have been filled with one geopolitical crisis after another:  

Born during WW II

Korea

Cuba

Vietnam

Iraq vs. Kuwait 

9/11 and the events that arose from that terrible day

More Iraq

Afghanistan

Now, Ukraine 

 

Read Matthew 24.6 or Mark 13.7.  

 

Then, I ask my God:  why must this be so?  

 

During Vietnam I was a baby. 9/11 was the first time I felt in my stomach that things had changed in a very bad way. 

 

Religion is a forbidden subject on ships I learned, but then again.. I'm not religious anymore, and my knowledge of the Bible is almost zero. But if I do meet God after I'm dead, I also have questions.

 

Both Mark and Matthew: "but the end is not yet". We're 2000 years later..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

But if I do meet God after I'm dead, I also have questions.

 

As do I.  

 

It's Lent.  The concept of forgiveness of one's sins is comforting.  But, then, I wonder does this mean that I will be associating with the likes of Hitler and Stalin--and now--Putin?  I have discussed this concern of mine with a few Protestant clergy and have never received an answer that is comforting to me.  

 

55 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Both Mark and Matthew: "but the end is not yet". We're 2000 years later.

 

Indeed, yet, we are "still here".  In my darkest thoughts when the pandemic began and continued and continued, I thought--and still think--that the "end", if and when it comes, will be different from what the passages of Revelations predict.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

As do I.  

 

It's Lent.  The concept of forgiveness of one's sins is comforting.  But, then, I wonder does this mean that I will be associating with the likes of Hitler and Stalin--and now--Putin?  I have discussed this concern of mine with a few Protestant clergy and have never received an answer that is comforting to me.  

 

 

Indeed, yet, we are "still here".  In my darkest thoughts when the pandemic began and continued and continued, I thought--and still think--that the "end", if and when it comes, will be different from what the passages of Revelations predict.   

 

This shows how much I know about religion. I thought the forgiveness thing was a specialty of Catholics and Protestants would just burn as much as they deserved. 

 

We've lived through the pandemic and while it still rages, it has become like the flu or car accidents. Just another reason for people to die, but we're still here.

 

Could you put what Revelations predict in a nut shell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Could you put what Revelations predict in a nut shell?

 

Fire and brimstone is what I recall learning.  Whatever the "details" of the Scripture may be, as you noted, those words were written and understood thousands of years ago.  Our Heavenly Father, I believe, will have a "modern interpretation" of those Words, if and when, the time comes.  That is the reason why I thought Covid was that "modern interpretation" due to the inept response of our governments to address the health issue which still leads to the refusal for millions to protect themselves and the rest of us..  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Fire and brimstone is what I recall learning.  Whatever the "details" of the Scripture may be, as you noted, those words were written and understood thousands of years ago.  Our Heavenly Father, I believe, will have a "modern interpretation" of those Words, if and when, the time comes.  That is the reason why I thought Covid was that "modern interpretation" due to the inept response of our governments to address the health issue which still leads to the refusal for millions to protect themselves and the rest of us..  

 

Dutch government has removed all precautions. Today I was literally the only one wearing a mask in the supermarket and someone said I didn't have to wear it. We are at the very peak of people having Covid.  

 

Fire and brimstone seems to be for everyone, including Mother Teresa, but then again it's a very short Wikipedia article. You cannot seriously believe that everyone will be punished for things they did not do? Personally I think when Putin dies, he's just dead. Like a cat or a snail or a plant can be dead.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...