Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kenny

Banned Smoking in Casinos?

Recommended Posts

I read that cruise lines are considering banning smoking in casinos.

Question:

Would you gamble more if casinos didn't stink? LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much here about Coronavirus, a smoking thread might be a breath of fresh air.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that I would gamble more.  It would give me more options as to cruise lines and ships. Currently we have cruised Celebrity exclusively because they do not allow smoking in their casinos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

So much here about Coronavirus, a smoking thread might be a breath of fresh air.  🙂

They already have one.

 

OP what was your source of the information?  Nothing I have seen except here has said that.

 

nope less time, And to save someone some typing.  Royal has a non smoking line in Celebrity.  They did a few tests about smoking and found that a smok8ng casino makes them a lot more money.   I have a friend that works in the casino that transferred from Celebrity, his reason was Money.  They have incentives based on cash the casino makes and on celebrity they make a whole lot less.  
 

unless the government makes them stop smoking then I don’t see it happening, they are going to be trying to bring money in when they reopen and they know some of their larger players are smokers who would go elsewhere if it.    
 

think of it, you have a smoker that wants 1 smoke an hour:

- they would have to give up their machine while gone.

- they would be lose 20 minutes or so going and coming back. 
- how much money can you put through a machine in 20 minutes?  If you cannot answer that then you are not really the gambler they want.

 

 

Edited by RETNAVY1996

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely gamble onboard if they were smoke free.  I'm hoping they do this on all cruise lines.  We've only sailed carnival (1st booking for RC in Oct.) but the smoke was so bad on Horizon last year my husband wouldn't go in it & he normally gambles at sea.  All of our casinos here are now smoke free & it's great.  Well at least to us nonsmokers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

They already have one.

 

OP what was your source of the information?  Nothing I have seen except here has said that.

 

nope less time, And to save someone some typing.  Royal has a non smoking line in Celebrity.  They did a few tests about smoking and found that a smok8ng casino makes them a lot more money.   I have a friend that works in the casino that transferred from Celebrity, his reason was Money.  They have incentives based on cash the casino makes and on celebrity they make a whole lot less.  
 

unless the government makes them stop smoking then I don’t see it happening, they are going to be trying to bring money in when they reopen and they know some of their larger players are smokers who would go elsewhere if it.    
 

think of it, you have a smoker that wants 1 smoke an hour:

- they would have to give up their machine while gone.

- they would be lose 20 minutes or so going and coming back. 
- how much money can you put through a machine in 20 minutes?  If you cannot answer that then you are not really the gambler they want.

 

 

 

The demographics between Royal and Celebrity are different and perhaps that's the difference in the performance of the casinos and not the smoking policy.

 

Sure the smoker may leave the machine for 20 minutes but that may be more than offset by attracting more non-smokers to the casino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, kenny said:

I read that cruise lines are considering banning smoking in casinos.

Question:

Would you gamble more if casinos didn't stink? LOL

 

Where did you read this?  I'd like to learn more about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Where did you read this?  I'd like to learn more about it.

Probably the existing thread here on the same topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, psumother said:

How are you going to smoke in the casino wearing a mask?  Just asking ....

The same way you're going eat or drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it that smokers can be in the casino...though I wish they would close the entry doors to keep the smoke from billowing out into the Centrum/Promenade.   

 

It keeps me from going in there to lose money.  😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I don't believe this will happen, I would likely spend more time in the casino if it were smoke-free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

maybe they’ll start making everyone smoke

No one is going to make me smoke! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I heard injecting disinfectants could be a cure! 😁

Me too. I wonder where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I heard injecting disinfectants could be a cure! 😁

I took me a month to find a bottle of bleach. Now after that remedy was announced I'll never be able to find it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, davekathy said:

No one is going to make me smoke! 

 

Uggh...gag!!  That's for sure!!  😉 

 

smoky cartoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

 They did a few tests about smoking and found that a smok8ng casino makes them a lot more money.  

Citation needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Villcruise said:

It's not that I would gamble more.  It would give me more options as to cruise lines and ships. Currently we have cruised Celebrity exclusively because they do not allow smoking in their casinos

 

I have come to do the same.  Celebrity has been my choice for the past few years. The smoke in Casinos is typically not just in the Casino given they are often open to other areas and smoke has a mind of its own where it flows.  Have loved no smoking anywhere inside the ship. 

 

When I consider other cruise lines I always have this in mind and do a lot of research, I know NCL has started creating enclosed smoking allowed areas in the Casino but the smoke would still waft out but perhaps not be so bad.   I sailed on NCL Epic and the smoke was terrible in many areas near that casino and it even floated to other floors due to the open area in the center of the ship.  Terrible!

 

All that said, I don't see why this would be considered in relation to COVID?  Smoking is already a health hazard so what is different now?

Edited by poffles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't gamble more.  I never did really get into it.  Most I can say is I would visit, maybe drop a 20.  I went to vegas last year for a week only gambled 5 bucks.  Rather spend on shows and entertainment or food and travel around.  So smoke on with your bad selves! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Citation needed

 

I thought the Grandeur OTS did a few trial runs with a smoke-free casino and the results were that the casino made less money. 

 

I read about it here on CC so I'm sure it's 100% truthful.  I tried the CC search but I guess I'm search challenged.  

 

Feels like it was a few years ago. Maybe some Grandeur fans can confirm. 

 

EDIT: Also remember seeing a video where Fain or Baley said it was not financially feasible.  Can't find that either. I suck. 

Edited by HBE4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Citation needed

Discussions with staff in the casino, on different ships.  If you go back and search on CC a few years ago you will find he posts where they made a few ships smoke free for a few weeks.  As a matter of fact I think that even Troy made some statements back then on the topic, of course he made a lot before banned.   You will have to wait now until you go back to cruising and ask the staff.  Either cruise line be it on the Celebrity or Royal lines.    Or I think you have posted on the one cruise workers page that does the YouTube stuff,  go ahead and PM him and ask about profit on smoking vice non smoking.  Did he not say he worked both lines?  I can’t remember, that way you can get it from a staff member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Citation needed

Or google this

 

revenue in casino smoking vice non smoking

 

and stay away from the sites that are pro or anti smoking, just read news feeds.  I am not saying it is not bad for people including employees, that’s why I won’t smoke at a table when a dealer is working.  But profit is in smoking,  heck look at the casinos in Florida, the ones on Indian reservations are bringing in a whole lot more money than others.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...