Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

We are due to sail out of NYC to New England and Canada on September 6. I realize none of us have a crystal ball! But, if you have a cruise booked early September, what are your thoughts. Do you think it will sail? Did you have one booked and you cancelled, why? If you haven't cancelled, are you just waiting for NCL to cancel and take the best deal or you'll sail if it sails? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the Canada/New England cruise booked out of Boston on Sept 18 - we cancelled. 

1. I had requested a refund of a deposit on Mar 3 $1308 CAD

2. Our April cruise was cancelled $12000 CAD

3. Neither refund will be received before May 24 date of final payment of Sept cruise

4. now added $5800 CAD deposit to list of money NCL owes us

5. Hubby & I are both in higher risk categories for COVID, so we won't be traveling in Sept

6. As Canadians, our Travel Medical Insurance isn't valid while there are travel advisories - so we will be staying in Canada for the foreseeable future

 

you need to make the decision that is right for your family but those are our reasons for cancelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a b2b out of Boston in September to NE/Canada.  I give it a 50 percent chance it sails.  It depends on many things including the Canadian Ports situation.  We are still undecided what we will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the Canadian Maritimes cruise booked departing Quebec Sept 25.  I've done this itinerary before and absolutely love it, especially after spending summer in hot humid Florida where I live.  For me, particularly the coast of Maine is paradise and what a joy to cruise there.   However, a couple weeks ago I cancelled this much anticipated cruise.  I finally woke up and realized that I should not be on a cruise ship until there is a covid vaccine.   It made no sense to make final payment for a cruise that I did not belong on in 2020, no matter what NCL does or doesn't decide with sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the September cruise on the Encore to New England/Canada booked as well. I cancelled before the May deadline because of the many uncertainties especially in it being round trip from NYC. Being in the high risk age sector there are just too many cons compared to the pros and I did not want my full payment tied up until the winter either. One of the pros (time in NYC) may be a con as well now. It would hardly be a relaxing experience visiting NYC anytime soon. And we just don't know the policies when cruises return. I hope that I can still sail on the Encore next year after we know what the terms and conditions are in the new cruise world. I don't want the stress that keeping the booking entails. Being able to cancel for an FCC does not give me "peace of mind" at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am booked on the September 8 Athens to Barcelona cruise on the Jade.  Several Italy ports.  I am resigned to the fact that there is VERY little chance this cruise will go though would be thrilled if it was a go.  I will pay the final deposit due on May 11 because my remaining balance is only around $200.  When NCL cancels the cruise, I will request a refund and hope the line is still liquid enough to pay the refunds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Maplemoose.  I want to give a shout out to Halifax on the itinerary as well.  I love hanging out at your amazing library.  And going to the Art Gallery to pay my respect to Maud Lewis.  And the waterfront boardwalk is a delightful walk.   Maybe in 2021 our ships will pass in the night with us onboard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a Sky cruise mid Sept.  Willing to bet the homestead no go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a Sept. cruise from Vancouver, BC to Hawaii, cancelled on March 30,  before final  pymt. due on May17th.  got our deposit of $1500.00 back April 23.  Wanted money back to credit card, not FCC, as I do not feel any future cruises are sailing for a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 6:56 PM, Maplemoose said:

I had the September cruise on the Encore to New England/Canada booked as well. I cancelled before the May deadline because of the many uncertainties especially in it being round trip from NYC. Being in the high risk age sector there are just too many cons compared to the pros and I did not want my full payment tied up until the winter either. One of the pros (time in NYC) may be a con as well now. It would hardly be a relaxing experience visiting NYC anytime soon. And we just don't know the policies when cruises return. I hope that I can still sail on the Encore next year after we know what the terms and conditions are in the new cruise world. I don't want the stress that keeping the booking entails. Being able to cancel for an FCC does not give me "peace of mind" at all. 

 

We were booked on the same cruise. We were really looking forward to visiting our own country on a cruise ship but we cancelled. I think the chance of this cruise happening Is extremely slim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Sept cruise booked to Bermuda. I’m canceling as it is too risky for me. But I am going next April to Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, YVRBassElectric said:

We had the Canada/New England cruise booked out of Boston on Sept 18 - we cancelled. 

1. I had requested a refund of a deposit on Mar 3 $1308 CAD

2. Our April cruise was cancelled $12000 CAD

3. Neither refund will be received before May 24 date of final payment of Sept cruise

4. now added $5800 CAD deposit to list of money NCL owes us

5. Hubby & I are both in higher risk categories for COVID, so we won't be traveling in Sept

6. As Canadians, our Travel Medical Insurance isn't valid while there are travel advisories - so we will be staying in Canada for the foreseeable future

 

you need to make the decision that is right for your family but those are our reasons for cancelling

It could be worse. Canada is a beautiful place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’m booked on a Baltic Cruise out of Southampton Sept 19 on another line - final payment is In June.  I’ve only put down a refundable deposit so I can cancel easily 

but......

Even if it does sail - I can’t imagine the atmosphere being carefree and fun.  There will be extra screening at airports and angst about overseas travel.  There will likely be some restrictions on port activities, on-board it might well be very tense in the dining and public areas.  Wearing masks, washing hands, staying distant, worrying about getting sick.  Not a great vacation.....

and what if I have to quarantine for 14 days when I return?!

Edited by tanyaewa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Maine; we just had an update from the Governor yesterday. I don't believe you will see the ports in Maine opening this summer/fall, but it will depend on how the next few months go. We are still following "shelter in place", but many are ignoring the request. Southern Maine (Portland area) has been hit  much harder than the Bar Harbor area. They are cancelling all of the summer festivals/fairs, and are controlling gathering size. They are also mandating anyone out in public must wear a mask, but not sure how long that will continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To see Fall foilage in 2020, we scrapped plans for cruising (Breakaway out of NYC in early October) and just going to a land one by driving - hopefully, our cabin fever (being in the hardest hit in the U.S.) will be over by then ... easy to avoid others & maintain social distance.  Booked a fully 100% fully-refundable 2 bedroom (furnished kitchen) hotel suite - we can eat-in, get takeout & food delivered, cook our own (if we choose to ... fresh lobsters, yes !!) - just to get out to "north" countryside, fresh air & beautiful colors.  All it took was a credit card hold at a very, very good locked -in rate, early/priority check-in & late check-out, etc. 

 

If we feel comfortable (on a managed predicted combined "second wave" of flu & Covid-19) and public health data showing that it is reasonably safe to go, we will pack and go and if not, easy to cancel - no FCC or wait for a refund, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a New England cruise booked for September out of NYC. Considering options now as to cruising or not. Too many of the restrictions are in a near constant state of flux to be much good for a prediction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, mking8288 said:

To see Fall foilage in 2020, we scrapped plans for cruising (Breakaway out of NYC in early October) and just going to a land one by driving - hopefully, our cabin fever (being in the hardest hit in the U.S.) will be over by then ... easy to avoid others & maintain social distance.  Booked a fully 100% fully-refundable 2 bedroom (furnished kitchen) hotel suite - we can eat-in, get takeout & food delivered, cook our own (if we choose to ... fresh lobsters, yes !!) - just to get out to "north" countryside, fresh air & beautiful colors.  All it took was a credit card hold at a very, very good locked -in rate, early/priority check-in & late check-out, etc. 

 

If we feel comfortable (on a managed predicted combined "second wave" of flu & Covid-19) and public health data showing that it is reasonably safe to go, we will pack and go and if not, easy to cancel - no FCC or wait for a refund, etc. 

And we will be expecting hourly updates including pictures of the lobsters unless those have been removed from the restaurants, for your convenience, of course.

 

Any lapse of reporting can be attributed to weak cell coverage.  Expecting reports of speed tests during your journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its tough. I would think no. However I read an article today that Carnival Cruise line is preparing to resume sailing in some form in July.  Its tough because all of this is day by day.  If one mess up happens on another cruise ship, it would be a disaster and cruising may never resume until a vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dexddd said:

And we will be expecting ...updates including pictures of the lobsters unless those have been removed from the restaurants, for your convenience, of course ...

 

Stay safe & healthy, are you WFH these days ? 

 

Here's a quick update, lobster prices are down, in season now & these are almost soft shell kind like from Maine. Locally here, $10 each for 1 pounder, freshly prepared & eaten, for our own convenience, right inside the residence. Just don't like the clean-up 😁  Not bad for staying home and to get fresh seafood.

 

Collage 2020-04-30 13_24_19.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since i have an august cruise and a oct cruise. and there is no 5 day cruises in july. im not sure what to do, either refund or september on ncl.  fcc and bonuses are adding up but perks are less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

since i have an august cruise and a oct cruise. and there is no 5 day cruises in july. im not sure what to do, either refund or september on ncl.  fcc and bonuses are adding up but perks are less. 

Welcome back DelBoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Welcome back DelBoy!

Uncle Albert son.  We shall sail again mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 3:21 PM, lovetotraveltx said:

We are due to sail out of NYC to New England and Canada on September 6. I realize none of us have a crystal ball! But, if you have a cruise booked early September, what are your thoughts. Do you think it will sail? Did you have one booked and you cancelled, why? If you haven't cancelled, are you just waiting for NCL to cancel and take the best deal or you'll sail if it sails? Thank you!

Had the same cruise booked but cancelled on April 15.  Was told refund of deposit would take 90 days.  We cancelled due to our age but mostly because it was sailing out of NYC.  We think it may be cancelled but who knows.  Stay Healthy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Uncle Albert son.  We shall sail again mate!

 

Indeed, but perhaps not before 2022....possibly from Spring/Summer 2021, but there's a lot hanging on that option!

Take care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am scheduled to sail on August 29 to Alaska out of Seattle. I think the chances are slim that it will actually happen, but we have until the end of May to make final payment, so we have a bit more time to decide for ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...