Jump to content

Cruising in October


Recommended Posts

Booked on Ventura Canaries cruise for 12 October this year and we can't make up our minds whether to go if by chance it does sail. Just wondering what opinions are on sailing in October if they are allowed to go, though personally I doubt if Canaries will be open to cruise ships. I also think to sail without travel insurance covering Coronavirus is far too risky as last thing you want is to catch anything and get deposited in to nearest hospital. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you answered your own questions there.. 

Things could change quickly but there are too many unanswered questions at the moment. 

Insurance will get sorted in time, but I doubt it will happen overnight.. 

We have one booked for November but are already looking at transferring it to next year. 

Andy 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, himan said:

Booked on Ventura Canaries cruise for 12 October this year and we can't make up our minds whether to go if by chance it does sail. Just wondering what opinions are on sailing in October if they are allowed to go, though personally I doubt if Canaries will be open to cruise ships. I also think to sail without travel insurance covering Coronavirus is far too risky as last thing you want is to catch anything and get deposited in to nearest hospital. 


I think it’s probably unlikely that cruises will recommence by October, but the issue will be that, even if they do, Coronavirus will remain a major concern, especially for cruise ships. It only needs one passenger (or crew member) to board during their incubation phase (undetectable by any pre boarding health screening) and you have an outbreak. On shorter cruises, you might contract it on board and then be ill when you get home, rather than being ill and having cabin isolation during the cruise, but seeing how this killer virus can affect people of all ages it’s not a risk that we would be prepared to take until we are all vaccinated which, sadly, might be a few years away. Others have a different attitude and are understandably desperate to get back on a cruise but, much as we like them, we aren’t risking our life to go on one!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got a cruise booked for early September.  In the event that it goes, we'll be on it.

 

We're happy with the level of travel insurance cover we have.  

 

The cruise is going to USA and Canada, so it's going to be down to whether or not Boris & co allow us to travel, and whether Donnie will open up for business.  I think it's more likely that Boris won't let us go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 28 day cruise booked with Cunard to USA and Canada balance due on June which I dont want to pay. Cannot book anymore next year as we already have 3 booked so dont want to pay balance and then have to wait for months for a refund if it is cancelled. Think there might be some cruises operating in October all depending on which countries they are going too and whether they will sail. With reference to 125% FCC do not think Cunard or P&O are giving anything extra because most cruises for 2020 have been on sail since 2018 and majority have increased by more than 25% since initial sale date so actually they are not giving you anything because the cruises are dearer. Cruise companies would be happy to give FCC because they keep your money which is in fact a free loan and guaranteeing busines for next year at higher prices.

Edited by majortom10
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also said if the cruise did go ahead and ports were open, we would go but after seeing the devastation this virus is causing I am changing my mind and thinking to book for next year. However, I'm not even sure that next year would be a safe bet, only upside is cruising from Southampton there is minimum time in aircraft which in my opinion are worse than ships to a certain expense  as you are completely confined in a small area and the air is recirculating. Flights are also a great way of catching bugs, viruses etc. It will be interesting to see how airlines will manage passenger seating etc. For us cruising is the best type of holiday and not really interested in anything else now so in a bit of a quandary. I must add that after our cruise on Britannia last year I felt that Royal Caribbean were streets ahead of P&O in enforcement of hand washing and hygiene when entering any food areas, also they seemed to monitor and clean the public toilet areas far more stringently. This may sway our decision as to who we cruise with next if I deem it is viable to go regarding the risk factor with travel insurance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the same.  We have one booked for October but there is no way I am paying the balance.  Will take an FCC for the deposit, but probably won't be able to afford the travel insurance.  On another thread one couple's premium has gone from £164 to £990 and no cover for Covid.  I wouldn't travel anywhere without that cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Majortom, you are 100% correct in what you say re the FCC. I am of exactly the same opinion, our balance is due mid July and no way am I paying it if there is any doubt about travel in October or port entry in the Canaries, also need to ensure that travel insurance can be purchased at a reasonable price then roll a couple of dice to weigh up the Covid-19 risk element.

 I don't feel cruise companies should have the right to take full payment for a cruise if they are unable to guarantee sailing or itinerary is going to be much the same. Maybe it's time cruise companies got their heads together to look at alternative ways of providing insurance cover for situations such as this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel to go on a cruise at present without full insurance cover is like playing Russian roulette and therefore will be sticking to playing Scrabble either at home or somewhere within the confines of the British Isles, hopefully get some decent weather this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this on the other thread, but here is a quote from my travel ins company

 

"Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel. Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses. This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section."

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I posted this on the other thread, but here is a quote from my travel ins company

 

"Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel. Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses. This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section."


As I said on the other thread, the final sentence that says that emergency medical expenses are covered is the most important as the rest is covered by P&O’s cancellation policy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I actually don't understand that sentence.  it clearly says it will not cover any claims caused by Covid, so what emergency medical expenses are covered>

I assume this would cover any on board costs, any urgent transfer ashore and hospital costs while you are treated, and although it does not state this I would hope it covers repatriation costs  as well as hotel costs for a partner as well.

I suspect the insurance companies are mainly trying to cover their liability for cancellation costs  which is where the main costs are incurred, individuals falling I'll from Covid would, hopefully  on a normal 7 or 14 day cruise, be a fairly small number.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We've got a cruise booked for early September.  In the event that it goes, we'll be on it.

 

We're happy with the level of travel insurance cover we have.  

 

The cruise is going to USA and Canada, so it's going to be down to whether or not Boris & co allow us to travel, and whether Donnie will open up for business.  I think it's more likely that Boris won't let us go.

We had a trip to Canada with a Rockies tour and a Alaska cruise and a stay in Vancouver booked for June. All elements booked separately. Celebrity cancelled the cruise,Globus cancelled the tour. Awaiting refunds from both. Marriot refunded the hotel. Currently playing chicken with BA with the flights. If all restrictions are lifted the decision may be do we fly to Canada. Would prefer not to but.......We have a Cruise booked for late August on Iona. If restrictions are lifted we will go. Life is full of risks. It should be for each individual to make a choice based on their attitude to risk. Some of us are able to assess risk, although swallowing disinfectant may be a step too far😷.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This will hopefully clarify the travel insurance cover for Coronavirus from a company that offers cruise travel insurance. Things are maybe not looking so bad if travel restrictions get lifted in time.

 

 

If I travel, will I be covered for coronavirus under medical costs in my travel insurance policy?

If you are not travelling against the advice of the Foreigh & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and if you catch coronavirus while on holiday and require medical treatment, then yes, cover will be in place for emergency and necessary treatment. Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance, meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.

×
 
Please contact our Assistance Team if you require medical treatment on 0203 829 6745

Coronavirus and repatriation

If you are not travelling against the advice of the Foreigh & Commonwealth Office (FCO) our policies will provide cover for repatriation (bringing you home) that is medically necessary. Our Assistance Team will liaise with your treating doctor(s) about your treatment plan and if required obtain a 'fit to fly' certificate. We also liaise with you and advise on, and put in place, suitable repatriation plans to get you home as soon as it is medically safe to do so in order to achieve your optimal recovery. Our team are unable to make arrangements to repatriate you where it is against local advice, where travel is restricted or where you would pose a risk to other passengers.

Each and every 'assistance case' will be dealt with on it's own merits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, himan said:

This will hopefully clarify the travel insurance cover for Coronavirus from a company that offers cruise travel insurance. Things are maybe not looking so bad if travel restrictions get lifted in time.

 

 

If I travel, will I be covered for coronavirus under medical costs in my travel insurance policy?

If you are not travelling against the advice of the Foreigh & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and if you catch coronavirus while on holiday and require medical treatment, then yes, cover will be in place for emergency and necessary treatment. Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance, meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.

×
 
Please contact our Assistance Team if you require medical treatment on 0203 829 6745

Coronavirus and repatriation

If you are not travelling against the advice of the Foreigh & Commonwealth Office (FCO) our policies will provide cover for repatriation (bringing you home) that is medically necessary. Our Assistance Team will liaise with your treating doctor(s) about your treatment plan and if required obtain a 'fit to fly' certificate. We also liaise with you and advise on, and put in place, suitable repatriation plans to get you home as soon as it is medically safe to do so in order to achieve your optimal recovery. Our team are unable to make arrangements to repatriate you where it is against local advice, where travel is restricted or where you would pose a risk to other passengers.

Each and every 'assistance case' will be dealt with on it's own merits.


Which company is that please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from Holiday Extras site Sue and according to the Google link they are P&O's most trusted insurance provider. I am sure I have seen their name mentioned on P&O site somewhere. If I can find it again I will put the info on here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, himan said:

This is from Holiday Extras site Sue and according to the Google link they are P&O's most trusted insurance provider. I am sure I have seen their name mentioned on P&O site somewhere. If I can find it again I will put the info on here.


thank you, most interesting 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, himan said:

This will hopefully clarify the travel insurance cover for Coronavirus from a company that offers cruise travel insurance. Things are maybe not looking so bad if travel restrictions get lifted in time.

 

 

If I travel, will I be covered for coronavirus under medical costs in my travel insurance policy?

If you are not travelling against the advice of the Foreigh & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and if you catch coronavirus while on holiday and require medical treatment, then yes, cover will be in place for emergency and necessary treatment. Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance, meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.

×
 
Please contact our Assistance Team if you require medical treatment on 0203 829 6745

Coronavirus and repatriation

If you are not travelling against the advice of the Foreigh & Commonwealth Office (FCO) our policies will provide cover for repatriation (bringing you home) that is medically necessary. Our Assistance Team will liaise with your treating doctor(s) about your treatment plan and if required obtain a 'fit to fly' certificate. We also liaise with you and advise on, and put in place, suitable repatriation plans to get you home as soon as it is medically safe to do so in order to achieve your optimal recovery. Our team are unable to make arrangements to repatriate you where it is against local advice, where travel is restricted or where you would pose a risk to other passengers.

Each and every 'assistance case' will be dealt with on it's own merits.

That is what I would hope that most travel insurers will cover as I intimated in post #13 above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, himan said:

This is from Holiday Extras site Sue and according to the Google link they are P&O's most trusted insurance provider. I am sure I have seen their name mentioned on P&O site somewhere. If I can find it again I will put the info on here.


Interesting posts. Thank you. I was struck by the following paragraph;

 

“Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance, meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.”

 

The medical centre on a cruise ship is obviously a private medical facility, so does that mean that you would have to be offloaded at a port and sent to a public hospital? Maybe P&O would do that anyway, I have no idea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly, if they cover to this level I don't really see there is much risk financially. It is just a case of how each individual feels about travelling on a ship with the possibility that you could risk infection, at least you can be confident any medical costs will be met, though at the end of the day the consequences of catching this virus may far outweigh any financial implication. To cruise in the near future is in my opinion a decision not to be taken lightly. I myself am monitoring all announcements regarding foreign travel and cruising very closely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Selbourne said:


Interesting posts. Thank you. I was struck by the following paragraph;

 

“Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance, meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.”

 

The medical centre on a cruise ship is obviously a private medical facility, so does that mean that you would have to be offloaded at a port and sent to a public hospital? Maybe P&O would do that anyway, I have no idea. 

As far as I am aware, the med centres on ships are just there to offer emergency care or treatment for minor ailments and I would think are classed as private facilities. In fact, you are unable to use onboard credit for any treatment you may receive on board P&O ships med centres, so in that respect I would say that cruise companies regard them as being a separate entity. I received advice,  bandages and burns cream while on a Royal Caribbean cruise and I have something in the back of my mind that maybe the medical staff are not employed directly by the cruise lines. I would welcome any info on this as I may be wrong and it would be good to get clarity on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:


Interesting posts. Thank you. I was struck by the following paragraph;

 

“Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance, meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.”

 

The medical centre on a cruise ship is obviously a private medical facility, so does that mean that you would have to be offloaded at a port and sent to a public hospital? Maybe P&O would do that anyway, I have no idea. 

Yes and no, the ships doctor would decide whether you were too sick to be treated on board, but if you were OK to remain on board I would expect that all on board treatment costs would be covered, since no public facility exists on a cruise ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes and no, the ships doctor would decide whether you were too sick to be treated on board, but if you were OK to remain on board I would expect that all on board treatment costs would be covered, since no public facility exists on a cruise ship.


That makes sense. A medical facility on a ship is clearly a private healthcare environment (because you get a bill) but when at sea there is no public option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...