New health guidelines for Princess; is HAL next?

kwb101

This will be an absolute  NIGHTMARE! 

So it is my understanding , that many women, before their monthly period  have an increase in body temp. Will HAL set some arbitrary number , say a temp of 99.5 or higher, and deny boarding? Can you see it now?  A woman with their family denied boarding pleading because her temp was 99.7 , " But I am about to get my period!!!":classic_angry:  What about the female crew? What about if one of them has an increase in thermal scanning? CAn you imagine the stress this adds to an already stressful day of embarkation? 

And the crew will "report" any passengers who are sneezing or have a runny nose? Really? Anyone think this through? What about ALLERGIES?    PAssenger says " But I have allergies!!!   "Sorry sir...it has been determined you are sick. You and your family  will be disembarked at the next port!"  Or a passenger telling guest services  ' But my room steward sneezed! Twice!!! I heard him!!!" 

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!!!!!!    Who the hell wants to cruise under these conditions? Is this an "enjoyable way" to spend your money and vacation time???🦠

• Like 2

I left on a cruise on March 9 and that line (MSC) already had these procedures in place.

The line had already cancelled the cruise for certain travelers before they ever left their home countries .

Besides a close examination at check in of passports to see where we had recently traveled, we did have a thermal screening before entering the boarding area. We found out that the scanners were set at 99.5 F after boarding.  Medical staff were standing by at the scanners to eyeball everyone or to check anyone who triggered the thermal alarm.

There was constant screening throughout the cruise (thermal and eyeballing by staff). 

Constant cleaning and disinfecting. Limited self service at the buffets. 

It was the first time in years that we could board a cruise and not be exposed to those boarding ill.

Everyone on the ship was healthy (crew and passengers) and we had no trouble clearing the local authorities at every port of call  (most of the ports were were cleared earlier than scheduled). 

Did the ship sail empty because of the pre boarding procedures (including cancelling of the cruise for certain passengers)? The ship's capacity is approximately 2,600 passengers, we had 1,800 on board. 

If the ship had been fully booked, the missing 800 passengers most likely were the package tours from certain countries that were  cancelled by MSC.

We can only hope that all cruise lines adapt the strict controls of MSC. The Princess guidelines seems to be doing so.

In my opinion, the prescreening, cleaning, and limited contact with food items should remain SOP for all cruises after the Covid 19 scare is over. 

• Like 7

A sinus infection or abscessed tooth, along with a lot of other non-contagious ailments, can cause a raised temp.  Worse than being denied boarding would be a forced quarantine as a result of someone suspecting you had COVID-19 or noro.

• Like 1

All the conditions presenting with a raised temperature can be understood by the nurses and doctors onboard.  Give them some credit, please.  This is what they do.  I am sure they can tell the difference and, with an abundance of caution, I want them to do their job, for the sake of the pax in question, all pax, all crew.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Problem is coronavirus can have no symptoms so someone gets on board with it and before you know it, it’s spread onboard.

And that is why cruising can't start up, safely, for quite a while.  As Arnold Donald said, not until social groups are allowed. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

And that is why cruising can't start up, safely, for quite a while.  As Arnold Donald said, not until social groups are allowed. 

Agreed.  My prediction on cruising is not a popular one.  I think we will have a fall surge of the virus and cruising won’t restart until the late spring or summer of 2021.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed.  My prediction on cruising is not a popular one.  I think we will have a fall surge of the virus and cruising won’t restart until the late spring or summer of 2021.

Kirk

So possible, the second round, widely predicted.  Opening up too soon, too fast won't help.  A combination of the seasonal flu plus covid-19 in the fall could break the cruise lines if they come back too soon. What a mess that would be: who wants to be the next Diamond Princess?

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

In my opinion, the prescreening, cleaning, and limited contact with food items should remain SOP for all cruises after the Covid 19 scare is over. 

I certainly hope not.  COVID 19 is a once in a century illness.  The cruise lines were managing well until now, albeit with the usual noro and flu, without this extreme 99.5 temperature limit and the continued temperature checking throughout the voyage, and without someone watching for every sneeze or cough.  If someone is that afraid of contracting a non-COVID ailment while cruising, perhaps that individual should not engage in a close-encounter activity such as cruising.  

I understand the concern of those with allergies.  As it happens, my husband and I both reacted badly to the sprays of the intense cleaning and the unfortunate use of MSC's signature scent "Med" (I think that is what it is called). If we walked into a cloud of "Med"  or the lingering aerosol of cleaning solutions, our noses ran like fire hoses.

But it was obvious to anyone with a train eyed that our reactions were triggered by certain things, plus the outflow from our noses did not look anything like the product of an infection.

I disagree that the cruise lines coped well with the various illnesses such as flu or URIs that would spread throughout a ship. 

Preventing those that are ill from boarding and quickly quarantining those that become ill would be a godsend to those who are healthy.

We now all know "That it's just a cold" is an ignorant and selfish attitude of those who blithely go on their way without consideration for others that they may make severely ill.

• Like 2

Not enough to get me back on a ship anytime soon.

Still not addressing what will happen when an outbreak happens on the ship and what guarantees are in place that a ship with an outbreak will be able to dock.  Fact is that outbreaks will happen as we know that some people are completely asymptomatic and completely unaware of it.  These passengers and crew will pass all these screening measures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

All the conditions presenting with a raised temperature can be understood by the nurses and doctors onboard.  Give them some credit, please.  This is what they do.  I am sure they can tell the difference and, with an abundance of caution, I want them to do their job, for the sake of the pax in question, all pax, all crew.

Sorry for being such as stupid idiot.  Nowhere did it say that doctors and nurses would be screening passengers as they board the ship.  I understand what doctors and nurses do.  Get down off your pompous soapbox.

• Like 2

The document from the Princess website is more detailed than what was in the article. In addition to the more detailed questionnaire and initial health screening which would include at a minimum a temperature scan, they will also have medical personnel at the pier for more detailed health screenings if they determine it is needed.

They had a statement about underlying health condition restrictions when this was first posted, but that seems to have been removed now.

“B. Travel Restrictions: Guests and crew members meeting certain criteria will be unable to sail. Guests who are unable to sail because of a failure to meet the following criteria will be issued a full cruise credit or refund:

If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19.

If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.

The above requirements apply to all guests, crew members, service staff and visitors.

If you meet any of these criteria, please advise us as soon as possible by calling 1-800-PRINCESS in North America or the Princess Cruises Customer Service center in your area so we can discuss this matter before you travel to the terminal for embarkation.

2. PRIOR TO EMBARKATION – WHAT TO EXPECT

A. Thermal Scanning of All Guests and Crew: Activated at select embarkation terminals beginning March 7 and as soon as possible in all embarkation terminals globally, we will be checking body temperatures of all guests intending to board our ships using temporal scanning thermometers. All guests presenting with a fever or flu-like symptoms will be denied boarding, irrespective of their recent travel history. All guests who are denied boarding due to sickness will be issued a full cruise credit or refund.

B. Health Screening of All Guests and Crew: Our medical experts are coordinating closely with international health authorities, and together we have developed a written traveler’s health declaration to be completed by all guests and crew prior to boarding. This health declaration screens for COVID-19 and advises guests and crew of their obligation to report any symptoms of illness.

Please note: Given the serious nature of these circumstances, false responses on pre- boarding documents will result in immediate disembarkation at the next opportunity. Individuals who do not disclose symptoms of illness may also face additional legal consequences.

C. Enhanced Screening for Certain Guests and Crew: Certain individuals will only be permitted to board based on successful secondary screening results. Secondary screenings will be conducted by the medical staff in the terminal prior to embarkation.”

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/Health-Advisory-and-Travel-Safety-Procedures.pdf

Not enough to get me back on a ship anytime soon.

Still not addressing what will happen when an outbreak happens on the ship and what guarantees are in place that a ship with an outbreak will be able to dock.  Fact is that outbreaks will happen as we know that some people are completely asymptomatic and completely unaware of it.  These passengers and crew will pass all these screening measures.

Here is a link to a story about one option being proposed:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/icu-pods-backed-hospital-ships-proposed-caribbean-cruise-ports

• Like 1

This is just the beginning, and it is not a "vacation", particularly one that can easily run into the five figures, I mean let's face it, cruises can be rather expensive holidays. 

If this new normal becomes permanent, then we will probably have to stop cruising altogether and that saddens us deeply.  But  Dear Dad is over 80 and I'm not exactly spring chicken myself, it was the last form of travel we were both able to tolerate, albeit even ships presented problems here n there; but the above, along with proposals I've watched on YouTube are beginning to make land based trips and flying more attractive and we never thought we'd be saying that! 

We realize that this is what it might take to save the industry or help it to set a more profitable and safer course, but as many have already pointed out, it is unlikely to prevent an outbreak, the ships need to just plan on the virus being on the sailing, every ship, every cruise and approach it accordingly.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

This will be an absolute  NIGHTMARE! 

So it is my understanding , that many women, before their monthly period  have an increase in body temp. Will HAL set some arbitrary number , say a temp of 99.5 or higher, and deny boarding? Can you see it now?  A woman with their family denied boarding pleading because her temp was 99.7 , " But I am about to get my period!!!":classic_angry:  What about the female crew? What about if one of them has an increase in thermal scanning? CAn you imagine the stress this adds to an already stressful day of embarkation? 

And the crew will "report" any passengers who are sneezing or have a runny nose? Really? Anyone think this through? What about ALLERGIES?    PAssenger says " But I have allergies!!!   "Sorry sir...it has been determined you are sick. You and your family  will be disembarked at the next port!"  Or a passenger telling guest services  ' But my room steward sneezed! Twice!!! I heard him!!!" 🦠

A policy like this, if implemented would be the end of the cruise line!

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I left on a cruise on March 9 and that line (MSC) already had these procedures in place.

The line had already cancelled the cruise for certain travelers before they ever left their home countries .

Besides a close examination at check in of passports to see where we had recently traveled, we did have a thermal screening before entering the boarding area. We found out that the scanners were set at 99.5 F after boarding.  Medical staff were standing by at the scanners to eyeball everyone or to check anyone who triggered the thermal alarm.

There was constant screening throughout the cruise (thermal and eyeballing by staff). 

Constant cleaning and disinfecting. Limited self service at the buffets. 

It was the first time in years that we could board a cruise and not be exposed to those boarding ill.

Everyone on the ship was healthy (crew and passengers) and we had no trouble clearing the local authorities at every port of call  (most of the ports were were cleared earlier than scheduled). 

Did the ship sail empty because of the pre boarding procedures (including cancelling of the cruise for certain passengers)? The ship's capacity is approximately 2,600 passengers, we had 1,800 on board. 

If the ship had been fully booked, the missing 800 passengers most likely were the package tours from certain countries that were  cancelled by MSC.

We can only hope that all cruise lines adapt the strict controls of MSC. The Princess guidelines seems to be doing so.

Was your MSC cruise on March 9 on the Armonia?  If so, did they gave you any info about the Covid-19 positive(s) on the sailing right before yours (disembarked 3/9, when you boarded)? Could any of the missing 800 been informed before boarding?

MSC Armonia*    Voyage Start Date 2-Mar    Voyage End Date 9-Mar

*CDC was notified about COVID-19-positive travelers who had symptoms while on board these ships.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

Just curious and wondering if we will be privy to that type of info with the new policies. It seems like they want to know all about us, will they reciprocate with important knowledge about their side when boarding too? 😁

14 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Was your MSC cruise on March 9 on the Armonia?  If so, did they gave you any info about the Covid-19 positive(s) on the sailing right before yours (disembarked 3/9, when you boarded)? Could any of the missing 800 been informed before boarding?

MSC Armonia*    Voyage Start Date 2-Mar    Voyage End Date 9-Mar

*CDC was notified about COVID-19-positive travelers who had symptoms while on board these ships.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

Just curious and wondering if we will be privy to that type of info with the new policies. It seems like they want to know all about us, will they reciprocate with important knowledge about their side when boarding too? 😁

Yes, I was on the Armonia on March 9.

We were clearly told that a reported case on  a previous cruise turned out to be a false positive and that reported cases on some other MSC ships turned out to be the flu.

As I stated, ports that were denying entry to other ships (Ochos Rios, Jamaica and Grand Cayman) cleared the Armonia without any issues.

Also, if you read my post carefully, I did not say 800 passengers were missing, I said the ship could have held another 800 passengers if the ship was booked at full capacity.

I don't know if the ship had been booked at full capacity. It was merely speculation on my part that maybe some of the package groups from other countries had been cancelled because of the country of origin (such as Italy or parts of Asia) and could account for not being full for this sailing .

Again, I did not say 800 passengers were missing, just that the ship had a maximum capacity that would allow  800 more passengers to be booked.

In my forty years of cruising experience,  have very rarely been on a ship that was at maximum capacity and this cruise was no different.

• Like 1