Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
prescottbob

The Costa Deliziosa Grand World Voyage

1 hour ago, prescottbob said:

And yet another interesting FYI article (fairly long). The ship was down in Australia when the Amsterdam was there & how they continued to Europe with passengers:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/costa-deliziosa-last-cruise-ship-what-happened/index.html

Perhaps a necessary voyage given all the closed ports, but not one that creates a great deal of envy.

Very interesting.  I had a couple of encounters with the ship while in Australia.  She was at Circular Quay while I was in a hotel between disembarking Crystal Serenity and embarking Queen Mary 2 a few days later:

deliziosa.jpg

We met up with her again while QM2 was in Fremantle.  I had assumed it was the end of her World Cruise as some passengers were in the terminal as I disembarked but it was probably only Australian Citizens who were allowed to disembark.  She was in Fremantle a few days earlier than several other ships (including Crystal Serenity and Amsterdam) who did disembark passengers so I'm not quite sure why her guests were not permitted to leave.

Roy

5 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Isn't that the ship that just arrived back in Europe?  (I haven't taken the time yet to read the link.)

That's correct.

Roy

I saw an interview with a magician on another (smaller) ship that returned home to Germany with her passengers. The artists on board started offering additional programs to the ones they were hired to do to keep passengers happy. For example, the magician did individual i-phone classes on how to organize photos etc. 

The buffet closed to avoid food spoilage because the ship did not know when and where it could replenish supplies. Everything worked out fine in the 30 days at sea. And like the people on the Costa ship, back on land they were amazed to experience how the world had changed in the meantime.