The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

1 hour ago, wristband said:

Airlines & masks aside, I am curious about Frank's vision of life onboard.  Specifically, elevators.

Having been on many Regent cruises, all of us here know how small ship elevators are and how crowded they can be - packed like sardines throughout the day, esp during meal times, to attend lectures & evening shows, Captain parties and Trivia, when going for excursions.  Many passengers are elderly with mobility concerns - they depend on ship elevators to get from deck to deck.

How will social distancing 6 feet possibly be enforced? Standing shoulder to shoulder in elevators, waiting for an elevator, lining up to enter dining venues... I can't visualize how this can be policed - if it is to be policed - to ensure our health and safety. 

Personally, my concern is transmission of the virus - elevators are enclosed units, people sandwiched in close proximity to each other - an ideal setting for the virus to breed.  Unlike a packed plane, of course, an elevator ride is of a much shorter duration.

Curious how others think about this.  

I work in an office building which has smaller elevators, probably about the same size as on the ships.  What I am doing now is just waiting for another one if there are already people on or if there are several people waiting to get on.  Yes, it is inconvenient, but no way to distance your self in that little space. So I would expect that is what people would need to do on the ships.  I always take the stairs anyway just to get the exercise in, and there are probably lots of people who could take the stairs but just use the elevators for convenience.  These people could be encouraged to use the stairs to leave the elevators for those who really need them.  Not a requirement that they do so, just encouragement to be considerate of others who are in more need.

• Like 6

I have wondered how the families and neighbors of the crew are feeling as well.  From reading, I understand that the cruise lines recruit so heavily in certain countries due to a huge economic advantage , but I also wonder at what point that leverage loses its allure, world recession/depression or not.  

The other day I posted a story about the possible future of air and I admit, it gave me pause as to exactly how much I would want to deal with for a holiday.  Sure, we all get used to changes and new restrictions, but in reality, even though I'm near one of the world major hubs for air, a nice drive to another state to 'get away' may serve a similar purpose as a air/sea holiday as far as refreshing mind and spirit.  

I do wish the stories reviewing possible changes at airports and carriers would focus on accessibility as well.  I'm certainly not as spry as I was, and I think a lot of people attracted to high end cruises may also face challenges of age and mobility. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

pappy, 

You are correct about the cruise industry and the airline industry being "tightly tied together". That is what I have been attempting to say. What good is paying for a luxury cruise if you have to endure misery to get to it? Oh well, if nobody wants to admit they understand this -- good bye!

Many of us do understand.  We find most airports difficult to navigate at times.  Major airports around the world have transportation (the little vehicles that people get in the way of all the time) to get to your gate.  Then there are seats especially for people that are disabled.  People that need a little help boarding can board first (unfortunately this is something that is taken advantage of sometimes but that is a different issue).   

In the "old" days there were more non-stop fights which made it easier for all of us.  Now, when planes stop in places like Frankfurt where there is a long walk (not sure about transportation between gates) and then we have to go through x-ray again, etc.  Heathrow is the same way.  IMO, this makes it particularly difficult for seniors with any type of disability.  Now, flights with 1 or more stops puts us at risk of the virus (getting off of a plane amongst more people - having to get into a different plane).  So, if there were one thing that would make flying better right now is having more non-stop flights.

Dolebludger, I am not sure what the situation is in Durango but where we live, there is a small airport that flies to Seattle (non-stop) or Vancouver (1 stop - even though it is only 50 miles away).  There is no First or Business class - the seats are tight but the flights are very short.  Even my DH that hates flying Coach can put up with the short flight (20 minutes - 30 minutes) to get to Seattle.  

I agree that flying will be more challenging in the foreseeable future.  I also agree that elevators on cruise ships will be an issue.  One can only hope that able bodied passengers will take the stairs (I plan on doing that - even with my artificial knee that hates stairs).  All of this is looking out for one another - something we all need to be doing right now.

P.S.  One comment about the crew.  Unfortunately, due to the poverty where some of them live, when they all get home, they will spend time with their families and most will return to cruise ships.- the only place where they can earn money to help their families.  Perhaps some will look at luxury lines as the crew quarters are likely a bit better and there are less passengers.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Truly Blonde,

Thanks for your post! 
Being able to see the high mountains out your house window does help with the inability to take a cruise. The Colorado Rocky Mountains were always a special place to us, and that is why we retired here. I don’t know about Aspen, but the number of fights out of Durango to hubs, and the flights from the hubs, have been highly restricted since the pandemic. It makes a cruise for us “too much trouble”. But we are just glad we can be here during this troubled time. 

And to all;

People who live in Aspen or Durango CO are not “financially challenged”. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be able to live where we do.We are the perfect demographic for Regent  customers. So, one problem Regent has to overcome to be future viable is a way to get us to the ports that is healthy and comfortable.  Don’t know what that would involve, and I hope FDR does..

Our biggest fear is getting hit by a Snowboarder in the Winter and a bear climbing thru the kitchen window in the Summer 😉  We are both lucky.

As to air travel and cruising, we always allow at least one travel day to get to major airport for flight to destination.  Another day and night at hotel because we do not want to "miss the boat" so to speak. Being retired has it's advantages because we have the time, money, and patience.  It is all part of the planning to make the trip most enjoyable. The worst part of the trip is always the flying part but once onboard, all of that is forgotten.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

In the "old" days there were more non-stop fights which made it easier for all of us.  Now, when planes stop in places like Frankfurt where there is a long walk

Confused about needing more non-stop flights.   Seems to me all flight are non-stop, just not between all one particular city and another.  You must be wanting non stops between specific cities.  Problem is airlines are only going to have non-stops between cities that have the number of people wanting the flights in order to be profitable and scheduled.   Also making non-stops for your particular requirements is the fact that many airline have found that hub and spoke method works best for them and their customers.

Of course there are fewer flights now and for the forseable future as the demand certainly isn't there.  Airlines will always schedule flights where there is sufficient demand to make the city pair profitable.

Regent offers First Class Domestic flights...isn't that an option?

Also, gold cart transportation between gates can be arranged in advance for people with mobility issues.

For those clients with deep pockets, a personal travel associate can be arranged to travel with you and handle administrative/personal (but not too personal) details such as luggage, ticketing, on board errands, port recon and speciality transportation including security, etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Regent offers First Class Domestic flights...isn't that an option?

Also, gold cart transportation between gates can be arranged in advance for people with mobility issues.

For those clients with deep pockets, a personal travel associate can be arranged to travel with you and handle administrative/personal (but not too personal) details such as luggage, ticketing, on board errands, port recon and speciality transportation including security, etc.

To be fair, yes, they do offer the option.  However, the price to upgrade to domestic First Class (or Business Class if offered) is dramatically higher than booking it yourself.  At least this is our experience.  

We could book a flight to Miami for our March cruise soon but do not want to book through Regent because of the cost but also do not want to book on our own (with or without points) because the airlines and the intermediary for Chase are difficult if not impossible to deal with.  We will likely go with Regent - only because no one knows if ships will be sailing in March 2021.

I always request Delta flights using Regent's Custom Air through Atlanta gateway that is couple hundred miles from my home. In every instance, the domestic leg has been First Class with no additional cost or up charge. Perhaps you are just using the wrong airline for your travel.

If there is one type of cruising which is not going anywhere - its the luxury cruising. Passengers on the budget will be afraid of traveling due to the covid situation, while rich people will have huge cabins and designated restaurants at their disposal. Moreover, more people will prefer limited cruising these days with less amount of people on board. Lesser people, higher the prices of the cruises 

12 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

I always request Delta flights using Regent's Custom Air through Atlanta gateway that is couple hundred miles from my home. In every instance, the domestic leg has been First Class with no additional cost or up charge. Perhaps you are just using the wrong airline for your travel.

I think you might be onto somewhere. I also seem to recall that Business Air includes Domestic First Class...?

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If there is one type of cruising which is not going anywhere - its the luxury cruising. Passengers on the budget will be afraid of traveling due to the covid situation, while rich people will have huge cabins and designated restaurants at their disposal. Moreover, more people will prefer limited cruising these days with less amount of people on board. Lesser people, higher the prices of the cruises 

I tend to agree to the last point, that luxury cruising will get more expensive, and more exclusive.  And since we're not "rich", perhaps that will exclude us.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wristband said:

Airlines & masks aside, I am curious about Frank's vision of life onboard.  Specifically, elevators.

Having been on many Regent cruises, all of us here know how small ship elevators are and how crowded they can be - packed like sardines throughout the day, esp during meal times, to attend lectures & evening shows, Captain parties and Trivia, when going for excursions.  Many passengers are elderly with mobility concerns - they depend on ship elevators to get from deck to deck.

How will social distancing 6 feet possibly be enforced? Standing shoulder to shoulder in elevators, waiting for an elevator, lining up to enter dining venues... I can't visualize how this can be policed - if it is to be policed - to ensure our health and safety. 

Personally, my concern is transmission of the virus - elevators are enclosed units, people sandwiched in close proximity to each other - an ideal setting for the virus to breed.  Unlike a packed plane, of course, an elevator ride is of a much shorter duration.

Curious how others think about this.  

So-called 'social distancing' will not, and CANNOT, last forever. This will all pass with time.  How much time?  I have no idea.  But it is getting more and more obvious that people are starting to push back (or gently ignore) these 'rules' that have been imposed on society.  If one feels "safer at home," then STAY there.  The rest should be allowed to go about their business to the level(s) that they feel comfortable.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

I brought that up earlier on this thread.  Although we do not care for American Airlines, we flew them to Chile last year.  We flew from Vancouver to Dallas (considered domestic) First Class and continued on to Chile in Business Class.  

27 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I do not necessarily agree.  I would guess that at least 60-70% of luxury cruisers are retired.  We are thankful that we did not have jobs to lose or wonder where our next meal is coming from.  Yes we have lost money in some investments but it is not dramatic. We were booked on our Regent cruises long before March so there were no issues.  Since our March cruise was cancelled, we took the FCC's and rolled them into an additional cruise.  If our next cruise is cancelled, we will take a refund and invest it back into yet another cruise.  Not all luxury cruisers feel the way that we do.  My point is that many retirees have saved and invested for many, many years in order to be able to cruise on luxury cruise ships.  I really do not see that changing over the course of the next few years.  Yes - some will not jump back into cruising until a vaccine is found but, ultimately, they will return.

Unfortunately, it is the working class that is being hit the hardest.  Yes - some are going stir-crazy and may book a $99/person cruise, however, in the long run I'm not sure that the number of cruisers on some cruise lines (NCL, Royal Caribbean and, Carinival and even passengers on Premium cruises lines) will be able to cruise as much as they have been in the past.  IMO, this is why we are seeing lower pricing than ever before on so many cruises.  They will eventually recover but it may take longer than people on luxury cruise lines.

I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

So-called 'social distancing' will not, and CANNOT, last forever. This will all pass with time.  How much time?  I have no idea.  But it is getting more and more obvious that people are starting to push back (or gently ignore) these 'rules' that have been imposed on society.  If one feels "safer at home," then STAY there.  The rest should be allowed to go about their business to the level(s) that they feel comfortable.

You posted while I was posting and I feel that this subject needs it's own post.  I could not disagree more with you more in terms of "the rest should be allowed to go about their business to the level(s) that they feel comfortable).  Numbers in the U.S. are going back up.  Doctor's and scientists are warning people that we will be back to square one (forced closures - job losses, etc.) if we ignore the science.  Going about your business could include killing people (or being killed by the virus yourself by not distancing and/or wearing a mask).

No one is saying to stay home indefinitely.  What is recommended (and IMO should be a law in areas where the numbers are climbing) is to keep your distance and wear a mask.  Most (not all) people on the Regent board want to resume cruising as soon as it safe to do so.  Ignoring doctors and scientists will only prolong the cruising shut-down - will keep children from going to school and, most importantly, will kill many more people.

Note:  Here s an interesting article 

The new coronavirus may never go away and may just join the mix of viruses that kill people around the world every year, Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the World Health Organization health emergencies program, said Wednesday.

"This virus just may become another endemic virus in our communities and this virus may never go away. HIV hasn’t gone away," Ryan said.

"I’m not comparing the two diseases but I think it is important that we’re realistic. I don’t think anyone can predict when or if this disease will disappear," Ryan added.

With a vaccine, "we may have a shot at eliminating this virus but that vaccine will have to be available, it will have to be highly effective, it will have to be made available to everyone and we’ll have to use it," Ryan said. "This disease may settle into a long-term problem or it may not be."

Yet the future of coronavirus does not have to be all doom and gloom, according to WHO infectious disease epidemiologist Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove.

"The trajectory of this outbreak is in our hands," Van Kerkhove said during Wednesday's briefing.

"The global community has come together to work in solidarity," Van Kerkhove said. "We have seen countries bring this virus under control. We have seen countries use public health measures."

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus echoed Van Kerkhove's sentiments on Wednesday and added, "We should all contribute to stop this pandemic."

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I think you might be onto somewhere. I also seem to recall that Business Air includes Domestic First Class...?

It does but, only if on the same airline or code share partner and available.  Not always available even if same airline.  This is why Regent states that it is Domestic Coach as that is all that can be guaranteed.

We are fortunate, living in south Florida. We drive to Miami. No flying. Herb and I agree that as soon as the CDC discloses it’s rules for cruise ships, and Regent begins sailing again, we are on it!

I believe that everything being discussed is really very early on. Perhaps, at the opening of cruising again, social distancing etc might have to be in place. But, it won’t be forever. Eventually, the virus will either disappear or a vaccine will be available. 
I am not expert enough to figure out every move that the cruising industry will make. I am a wait and see person. 
sheila

PS Although our area has opened in phase 1, we are older and compromised, so we will wait until at least phase 2 to venture out. We both believe that this nation must start opening as soon as safe. We are the vulnerable. Younger folks not so much. Many of them must go back to work to pay their bills. 
We stay home, nursing homes must be closed to outsiders and staff tested. The majority of deaths occurred in nursing homes. 
Yes, many of us are financially secure, but what about those who are not?

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

It does but, only if on the same airline or code share partner and available.  Not always available even if same airline.  This is why Regent states that it is Domestic Coach as that is all that can be guaranteed.

Thank you. I think that if you emphasized your requirement to travel First Class your TA should be able to provide you with some options that will get you there. You might have to go a day early or book your air when it first becomes available but I have faith you can accomplish this.

Domestic coach may be all that is "guaranteed" but there is a very high probability that, if you deviate (aka Custom Air) 270 days prior to embarkation, you will be able to get First Class..  When we deviated going to Chile, we told our TA that we would not fly American if we did not have First or Business Class on the first leg.  Our TA got back to us quickly with an itinerary for approval and yes - it did have First Class on the domestic portion of the flight.

Nothing is ever guaranteed - Regent could have a contract with an airline but not on the route that you are flying.  Or, all of the contracted seats could be full.  This is why you need at least 2 options to present to Regent Air (through your TA or on the phone with Regent). .

37 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Thank you. I think that if you emphasized your requirement to travel First Class your TA should be able to provide you with some options that will get you there. You might have to go a day early or book your air when it first becomes available but I have faith you can accomplish this.

Sorry, under Regent rules would need to deviate in order to change the date and pay an additional $350 and then hope First was available since domestic flights generally become available 330 days prior while you can't deviate with Regent until the 270 day mark so 2 months of others booking so only way to do either of what you suggested would be to take the credit and book ourselves.  Plus, always book my flights if not using Regent Air myself so I have full control 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

I also don't agree with you that "the rest should be allowed to go about their business to the level(s) that they feel comfortable."  This is not working out well in the States, is it?  With people being insulted or bullied for wearing masks, or worse. And many "feel [quite] comfortable" going about their business while imperiling the health and safety of others.

The whole point of physical distancing is to slow down the spread of the virus so that the medical infrastructure will not be overwhelmed, and to protect the most vulnerable from getting the virus.  The two single most important practices that we can observe are two keep our distance, and wash our hands properly and frequently.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Sorry, under Regent rules would need to deviate in order to change the date and pay an additional $350 and then hope First was available since domestic flights generally become available 330 days prior while you can't deviate with Regent until the 270 day mark so 2 months of others booking so only way to do either of what you suggested would be to take the credit and book ourselves.  Plus, always book my flights if not using Regent Air myself so I have full control 

I guess you could see if the air was available at 270 and then chose if the $350 (or nothing if waived) is worth it. Oftentimes it is available if you jump a day or two earlier. 

I only book if it is a local flight and the air desk can't get me what I want. I would rather pay a bit more and have the assurance that Regent will get me there and home.

Sorry if these ideas didn't help anyone.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I would rather pay a bit more and have the assurance that Regent will get me there and home.

Well, as travelcat earlier confirmed nothing is guaranteed regarding flights.  It is a fact that Regent T's and C's clearly remove any responsibility for third parties and that included flights so no guarantee Regent will get you there and back home.

That said as I am sure travelcat will reiterate that most times Regent will take care of those using Regent air however their Terms and Conditions allow them not to get you there and home should the situation arise.  Yes, Regent will step up in most instances but, there have been reports of people at an airport with issues and phoning the 24 hour line resulted in nobody answering.

Should anyone have flight issues I strongly recommend trying to solve the issue with the airline first as even Regent has to go thru the airline to make changes so skipping the middle man (Regent) will often save you time and effort.  

• Like 1

It is not true that one must pay for a deviation before they know if they will get First Class on the domestic portion of the flight.  Rallydave, it has been some years since you sailed on Regent and what you are saying could certainly be how it was then but is not that way now.  We receive a written proposed flight plan that clearly states “pending approval”.  So, if First Class domestic air was not available, you would know before having to pay the $350.  

Pcardad - your ideas are very helpful.  While I am aware of many things about Regent, there is still much that I can learn from others that cruise on Regent.  The more I know, the more I can assist others.  

Things seem to be changing yet again.  One person posted that Regent booked air for them but it was canceled since it was not “ticketed”.  I have not heard of this issue in the past.  We have flights booked (by Regent) on Air Canada and New Zealand Air that are months away but not ticketed.  They are in the airlines computers but will not be ticketed for a while.  Contracted airlines are aware of how Regent does bookings with them and that does not include canceling flights without even advising Regent.  

Whatever changes are or will be happening, Regent will deal with it and keep those of us with airline bookings appraised of the situation.

P.S. When we book our own domestic flights (generally to or from Miami) sometimes we can do it sooner than 270 days. In any case, we have never heard of domestic flights having to be booked “230 days” out.  This can easily be verified by trying to book a pretend flight with domestic carriers.

Edited to say that I just tried to book a flight to MIA for April 2nd and April 8th.  No problem booking flights this far out.

Edited by Travelcat2

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is not true that one must pay for a deviation before they know if they will get First Class on the domestic portion of the flight.  Rallydave, it has been some years since you sailed on Regent and what you are saying could certainly be how it was then but is not that way now.  We receive a written proposed flight plan that clearly states “pending approval”.  So, if First Class domestic air was not available, you would know before having to pay the $350.  

Have no idea where you thought I said that anyone had to pay the deviation fee before knowing what flights they were on.  Has been that way since I last cruised Regent.  I never said that at all.

What I did say to Pcardad was that to fly a day or two earlier in order to guarantee First on the domestic flight was that one had to deviate.  Cannot change dates without deviation and that that deviation would cost $350 per couple..