New cruising Realities?

pinotlover

57 minutes ago, edgee said:

Could not agree more about Vegas, but it is no laughing matter that, deservedly or not, cruise ships are viewed differently by many.

Well, if you get sick in Vegas you have medical options that you don't have on a ship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whichever cruise line is the first to offer an on-the-spot rapid test for covid-19 while boarding a cruise ship will be the first to get passengers back. Emirates Airlines is doing this. I can see it being done for the smaller ships but not the big ones. Fairly easy for Oceania, Windstar, Azamara to implement.

20 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Whichever cruise line is the first to offer an on-the-spot rapid test for covid-19 while boarding a cruise ship will be the first to get passengers back. Emirates Airlines is doing this. I can see it being done for the smaller ships but not the big ones. Fairly easy for Oceania, Windstar, Azamara to implement.

That works for flights where nobody gets off and back on in the middle of the flight.

On a cruise with a number of port visits it doesn't work the same.

24 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That works for flights where nobody gets off and back on in the middle of the flight.

I was referring to all the people who say they won't board a cruise ship until there are tests given to everyone on the ship. There are people who take cruises and never leave the ship. If one is concerned a fellow passenger might acquire the virus on a port stop then those people can never cruise again until there is a vaccine, which might be never.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Whichever cruise line is the first to offer an on-the-spot rapid test for covid-19 while boarding a cruise ship will be the first to get passengers back. Emirates Airlines is doing this.

Wonder how accurate the tests are ?

Do they tell if you are asymptomatic??

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Whichever cruise line is the first to offer an on-the-spot rapid test for covid-19 while boarding a cruise ship will be the first to get passengers back. Emirates Airlines is doing this.

I believe that they are testing for antibodies which is not the same as testing for COVID-19 itself:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/emirates-passengers-blood-test-covid-19/index.html

Serology (blood) tests aren't meant to diagnose active coronavirus infections. Rather, they check for proteins in the immune system, known as antibodies, through a blood sample. Their presence means a person was exposed to the virus and developed antibodies against it.
According to the US Food and Drug Administration, in the early days of an infection when the body's immune response is still building, antibodies may not be detected.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Wonder how accurate the tests are ?

Do they tell if you are asymptomatic??

It doesn't matter. on the spot instant tests like these are CYA tests. This will be what shields any business from legal liability for someone to claim they got C19 from them. It is the same as any sort of medical letter from a doctor that might be required.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Going to be a major problem for awhile.  If during a cruise one person comes down with the virus  than they may lock down the whole ship and not be able to get into any ports.  Maybe the worst case, but could happen just looking back at the last few months all over the world. 

After reading a story today on the CNN website about the 57,000 crew still onboard 74 cruise ships in and around US ports and the Bahamas and Caribbean, according to the US Coast Guard, which the CDC will not let disembark without much individual red tape, including American crew from ships without any COVID-19 cases, i guess it will be a very long time before I board another cruise ship.  😢

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Absolutely. And then there are those that will test negative upon boarding but positive later. I don't see testing working at all as a qualifier.

• Like 1

I suppose a bit of the new Reality hit me yesterday. Uniworld, my favorite river cruise company, announced some of the new policies they’re implementing once cruising begins later in the year. Here are just a few. Imagine these as they may apply to Oceania.

First, the end of self service buffets. Everything would be served to you. No real surprise there, it was predictable.

#2 was the stunner. Seating capacity in the restaurants would be limited and people would eat in shifts. Late getting going in the morning, before your tour, and you just want something quick, what if it’s not your shift? Guessing that, for fairness, they will rotate eating shifts among the passengers to discourage people lining up 2 hours before restaurant opening . What happens when you get a later shift than you really want?

3. The number of people on any tour bus , or in any group, will be reduced and limited. Sounds great, but!!!

This “ but” along with other articles I’ve read on new capacity controls have me most concerned, remember I cruise to travel not to sail. There have been articles about the various institutions also implementing capacity controls. Consider going to St. Petersburg and going to Petershof, Mariahof, and the Hermitage without all the crowds; or visiting the Vatican not being as crowded! Wonderful right? Unless you’re one of those capacity controlled out. By the luck of the draw, you go to STP and all you get is a driving tour with a guide saying “ On your right is, and on your left is” . With 5 ships in town, who gets to decide which ship’s passengers get access to the monuments? Who on each ship, and how, decides who gets the allocated tickets for those sights? All first come first service? Will tour tickets be a hotter commodity than a Jacques reservation? Will people start canceling cruises if they can’t get tour tickets?

All of this is easily projected onto Oceania’s ships. How many people will they allow in the Terrace or GDR st one time? How about the Specialties? On a 7 Day cruise will they still be able to guarantee at least one meal in each Specialty? I definitely foresee more room service because all those early eaters won’t all get into the restaurants upon opening. Will dining reservations for the Terrace and GDR be handled like those for the Specialties? How late you eat, may depend upon cabin status.

Times are definitely changing!

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I suppose a bit of the new Reality hit me yesterday. Uniworld, my favorite river cruise company, announced some of the new policies they’re implementing once cruising begins later in the year. Here are just a few. Imagine these as they may apply to Oceania.

First, the end of self service buffets. Everything would be served to you. No real surprise there, it was predictable.

#2 was the stunner. Seating capacity in the restaurants would be limited and people would eat in shifts. Late getting going in the morning, before your tour, and you just want something quick, what if it’s not your shift? Guessing that, for fairness, they will rotate eating shifts among the passengers to discourage people lining up 2 hours before restaurant opening . What happens when you get a later shift than you really want?

3. The number of people on any tour bus , or in any group, will be reduced and limited. Sounds great, but!!!

This “ but” along with other articles I’ve read on new capacity controls have me most concerned, remember I cruise to travel not to sail. There have been articles about the various institutions also implementing capacity controls. Consider going to St. Petersburg and going to Petershof, Mariahof, and the Hermitage without all the crowds; or visiting the Vatican not being as crowded! Wonderful right? Unless you’re one of those capacity controlled out. By the luck of the draw, you go to STP and all you get is a driving tour with a guide saying “ On your right is, and on your left is” . With 5 ships in town, who gets to decide which ship’s passengers get access to the monuments? Who on each ship, and how, decides who gets the allocated tickets for those sights? All first come first service? Will tour tickets be a hotter commodity than a Jacques reservation? Will people start canceling cruises if they can’t get tour tickets?

All of this is easily projected onto Oceania’s ships. How many people will they allow in the Terrace or GDR st one time? How about the Specialties? On a 7 Day cruise will they still be able to guarantee at least one meal in each Specialty? I definitely foresee more room service because all those early eaters won’t all get into the restaurants upon opening. Will dining reservations for the Terrace and GDR be handled like those for the Specialties? How late you eat, may depend upon cabin status.

Looks like it will be some time until we cruise again. Why do it if it is not going to be fun like in the past.

• Like 1

You bring up so many good points. Really makes me think this doesn’t sound like a relaxing vacation. There would be a real lack of freedom....we essentially would have to do everything when it’s our turn. Hmmm no thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JVNYC said:

You bring up so many good points. Really makes me think this doesn’t sound like a relaxing vacation. There would be a real lack of freedom....we essentially would have to do everything when it’s our turn. Hmmm no thanks. 

Until a vaccine is widely distributed, I do believe “ Your World, Your Way” will be on the sidelines. 

I was thinking about those tours and tickets. What if O was forced to do specific shore tour sign ups like they do Specialty restaurants. Many may be gone by the time PH signs up! Concierge and below out of luck!

As we draw nearer, it will be interesting to see what Oceania proposes. How will they handle shows, Captain Receptions, Past cruiser parties, just the bars in general? Will La Reserve become so limited it’s not economically practical?

One of the things I detest in many popular restaurants is the “ Flip that table” mo the waiters have. I’m one of those that enjoy “sharing “ and having a relaxing dinner , with fun conversations, with fellow cruisers. One and a half to two hour dinners are fine with me. The last thing I want, on a cruise ship or anywhere , is a waiter trying to get me out the door in a hour or less so to flip the table!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I think you've made some really good points. Would you share this on "Ask a cruise question"? Please

On 4/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, victoria81 said:

I would also like to see hand sanitizer.  It's one thing to sanitize prior to entering the dining room.  It's a whole other issue to sanitize after touching the menus.  Either that or have a staff member walking around and dispensing hand sanitizer themselves to ensure everyone is cooperating.  I'm scheduled to be on the October Tokyo-Sydney, followed by a post trip to Cambodia.  I'm afraid I won't be going and if I do go it won't be worth the money as things will not be open.  Unfortunately next year's similar cruise does not have the room category we like available so that's not an option.  So disappointing.  Hopefully we will still get the Oceania cruise credits if the cruise is cancelled as I heard Regent is giving the days?

Menus on Sirena in March were paper one time use. Waiter took orders and threw menus away.  Only brought you flatware for items ordered. Everything was served individually. Bread, butter, condiments, etc.  when you entered the GDR, the tables had clothes and were not set. It looked like dinner was over. Safer, but not inviting. Not exactly fine dining. Sanitizer dispensers were everywhere and a crew person watched you sanitize as you entered any food venue.  Purcell Police were strict. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Everything was served individually. Bread, butter, condiments, etc.  when you entered the GDR, the tables had clothes and were not set.

What kind of clothes  did the tables have?  casual or  more dressy?

😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

😁

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

😁

In GDR, linen white cloth with nothing else on the table. Buffet tables no coverings and were wiped down in front of you.  In specialty restaurants, the same.  It was clean, but not very attractive. No flatware until you needed it. Food was good most of the time. Since we didn’t stop in most ports, it was obvious that menus were altered. They ran out of things. It wasn’t bad, just noticeable. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, pinotlover said:

Uniworld used to be a favorite.  Sailed and toured China with them, many Holiday Markets as well.  No more.  They are holding $20K of my money intended for a two-week France cruise which we were caught between paying the balance and the start of the pandemic.  FCC they say - come again next year.  We are approaching our late 70s and waiting is not an option.  Tough they say...FCC but no refund.  Of course they don't want to refund - Uniworld is owned by a private company consisting of 20 varied travel subsidiaries all hemorrhaging money since no one is traveling.  Zero customer service from Uniworld.

Ponant announced its COVID-Safe Protocol yesterday:

The updated guidelines developed by the French-flagged line is based on health standards that exceed international regulations.

In addition to strict cleaning procedures advised by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO), implementation of social distancing requirements and enhanced employee training, new measures include:

Pre-Boarding
• Prior to boarding, all guests and crew members will have to present a signed doctor’s medical form, complete a health questionnaire and undergo a health check and screening by the ship’s medical staff.
• All luggage will pass through a disinfecting zone by sanitizing mist or UV lamps.
• Surgical and cloth masks, disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer bottles will be provided to passengers.

Onboard Experience
• 100 percent fresh air in staterooms, through non-recirculating air conditioning systems. Ventilated air will be renewed in the common areas at least five times per hour. 
• Restaurant layouts have been redesigned and will only offer contactless a la carte dining options.
• Public spaces, such as the fitness room and theater will be capped at 50 percent occupancy.
• Hourly disinfecting of high-touch points, such as door handles and handrails, with peroxide, which eliminates 100% of germs and bacteria
• Crew members are required to wear a mask or protective visor when in contact with guests. Guests will be asked to wear a mask in hallway corridors and will be recommended in public spaces. 
• Thanks to large investments over several years, Ponant said it has some of the most complete and renowned onboard medical centers in the world of cruising. Each vessel is equipped with advanced hospital equipment, including mobile laboratory terminals that enable testing on site for infectious or tropical diseases. Advanced diagnostic equipment such as ultrasound, radiology and blood biological analysis is available fleet-wide, one doctor and one nurse are present on every sailing.
• All ships will have five vacant staterooms should guests need to isolate. 

Shore Excursions
• Zodiacs will be thoroughly disinfected after each stopover.
• Re-boarding after shore excursions will only be permitted after temperature check and disinfection procedures (individuals and personal belongings).

---------------------

DW and I are following all of the guidelines that are suggested in the US. Masks, distancing, etc. We support it 100% but for us, cruising is fantasyland. Cruising is an escape from the real world. Once we're aboard our phones and laptops are stored away. We totally disconnect. These new guidelines, while totally reasonable, aren't fantasyland. They're the harsh reality of what may continue for a long time. No thanks. We'll stay home.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 1