Butlers

barko4441

14 hours ago, barko4441 said:

What are some  of the things you have asked the butler  to do for you? Was there something he/she surprise you with that blew you away?

The Butler will do about anything you want from tour tickets to dining reservations to bringing nightly canapés and mixing drinks.   Just one quick example, we had a couple of back to back tours with minimal time to change from beach gear to land wear.  So we told our Butler and lunch was waiting in our cabin when we returned so we could eat while changing.    But about anything you can think of, the Butler will do for you.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

We've had hits and misses with butlers on Regent, but overall they've been a benefit.   What we've learned is that the butler becomes your first point of contact for anything you need.   Tours, dining reservations, setting up anything special in the room, or issues along your voyage.   Special things our butler has done for us have been:

- Securing a larger table for us and our new friends at Compass Rose, at a set time.  

- Coordinate a galley or bridge visit

- Getting special food request together.   We like pomegranate, but forgot to put it on our pre cruise request card.  Our butler not only was able to get the ship to stock it, when he saw the ships inventory was getting low, he put the last two whole pomegranate in our fridge so we wouldn't run out.  

- Last minute specialty dining reservations as well as coordinating a private meal outside on the top deck.  

- When we've forgotten something in the room (reading glasses or our special hot sauce 🙂), we've asked a crew member to call them to get this for us.  

- Giving us feedback on things to do while in port, although we ask all the crew for their recommendations.  Many ports, the crew has visited many times and have heard feedback from other guests on what was good or must be missed. 

When you do get a room with a butler, just don't be shy about your requests.  They will do their best to get you exactly what you want.

• Like 2

We enjoy having a Butler, it's a nice touch.  We regally don't over us the service, but when you really need something or service they will handle it for you and make it happen.  We really enjoy coffee and a roll in the morning, we never double lock the door so they can just come in and set it up.  When we get up, it's all done for you-then later go down for breakfast.

• Like 2

Funny butler story.  Once upon a time on a cruise line where a tux was a must for Captain's night, we had some friends join us on the cruise.  The friend said he didn't want to carry a tux, so he would rent one.  I told him every time my husband rented one it wouldn't fit or something.  He rented it through the cruise line.  Night for tux came and his pants were SOOOOO big that three people would fit in them.  I ran all over the ship, the dress shop, everywhere, but no pins.  Too late to get alterations.  All of a sudden a light came on, and I called my butler!  Wow--we had pins in minutes.  We pinned him in and he made it through the night.  That shows how handy a butler can be!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caroldoll said:

Funny butler story.  Once upon a time on a cruise line where a tux was a must for Captain's night, we had some friends join us on the cruise.  The friend said he didn't want to carry a tux, so he would rent one.  I told him every time my husband rented one it wouldn't fit or something.  He rented it through the cruise line.  Night for tux came and his pants were SOOOOO big that three people would fit in them.  I ran all over the ship, the dress shop, everywhere, but no pins.  Too late to get alterations.  All of a sudden a light came on, and I called my butler!  Wow--we had pins in minutes.  We pinned him in and he made it through the night.  That shows how handy a butler can be!  

Great story!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:16 PM, Caroldoll said:

I thought you were going to say the butler loaned him some tuxedo pants!  LOL!!!   😂

In San Juan, the walk from the ship to the taxis  can be a long one. Our butler gladly carried our two golf bags from the suite to 

the limo no problem. It was quite a sight, the man in a tuxedo as a caddy.I wish he could have caddied for us at Dorado Beach.

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, barko4441 said:

What are some  of the things you have asked the butler  to do for you? Was there something he/she surprise you with that blew you away?

I probably shouldn't share this secret BUT..... On the long sail from Cape Town to Rio, we had a "build -a - boat" contest. Our Butler had a board cut and shaped to my specifications. Alas, we finished 3rd of 3 entrants!

2 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

I probably shouldn't share this secret BUT..... On the long sail from Cape Town to Rio, we had a "build -a - boat" contest. Our Butler had a board cut and shaped to my specifications. Alas, we finished 3rd of 3 entrants!

We did a crossing from Monte Carlo to Rio many years ago, and we also had a build a boat contest. WE (polishing my finger nails on my coat...giggle!) WON!  "Our"  team's  was all home made as none of us had a butler! Lots of fun!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

We did a crossing from Monte Carlo to Rio many years ago, and we also had a build a boat contest. WE (polishing my finger nails on my coat...giggle!) WON!  "Our"  team's  was all home made as none of us had a butler! Lots of fun!

How nice.  Wonder if we'll have a build your own boat contest on our crossing.  Sounds like fun!

Herb and I did a 25 night crossing about 10 years ago ( not on Regent). Herb entered the boat making contest with a newly made cruise friend from California. (still friends with them). We had a butler, who helped them secure empty soda cans and two empty champagne bottles. They tied all the soda cans, side to side, together and put the champagne bottles on top at either end.  They made a USA flag and it flew in the middle. it was very creative and it floated very well. 
They lost!

sheila
PS. Never saw this on Regent transatlantics.Maybe we never noticed. 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers