Gift Card Refunds (3/13 - Present)

jas1178

4 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

Long story short, two weeks later my reservation still shows me with the complete balance due.  I called him to find out if and when that would update and he still had no answer.  Has anyone received FCC after paying for a cancelled cruise with gift cards?  I don't mind being patient, since my cruise is far into the future.  I just would like assurance that it will work!  Again, my PVP didn't know...Thanks, in advance, for insight!

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds like the FCC was never applied??  ...and I'm assuming that's what the OP is inquiring about...why haven't the gift cards (i.e. FCC) been applied to their cruise. 

I didn't see anything about requesting a refund....but again, maybe I'm not understanding the OP's issues correctly.

Garnett

6 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Carnival will not redeem the gift cards for cash.  However, they will send you a replacement gift card in the amount that you are owed.  Essentially, Carnival has your cash and will not return it.  If by some chance Carnival goes out of business or files bankruptcy (doubtful....at least at this point) , you'll most likely lose your money.

Don't feel bad...I'm in the same 'boat' with you...to the tune of $5600....not to mention that additionally, I have 15 cruises booked and would probably lose all of that $ as well if the worst happens.

Garnett

Darn!  Darn again!  You just brought to my attention that if Carnival goes under, not only would I lose my $1,300 in gift cards but also my $500 deposit for my January cruise and another $298 for a 2022 cruise.  Then there is the cruise insurance question.  I assume there is some kind of a clause that says if the cruise company goers under, you are out of luck.  That's another $348.  I thought I had a problem 5 hours ago and now it is even worse than I thought.

Thank you for bringing up this topic as I have had a similar issue.   We canceled our Norway cruise for June 19 on March 13th with our PVP.  We had paid for the cruise entirely ( gratuities as well) with our credit card plus gift cards ( over $3000 plus in just the gift cards).That night we received confirmation for our new Norway cruise twice which showed we still owed money.  Within one week we got another email where they had given us a coupon/credit for $597 but said we still owed 197.95.   My husband spent on the phone one night about an hour trying to understand what was going on as our records showed they OWED US money.   He finally gave up after being cut off during a transfer......but at least we got an email showing the $600 onboard credit. The next day he called again and got a better agent who after about an hour couldn’t figure it out and called a supervisor. She was determined to get it figured out.   With no luck.....they finally transferred us to accounting and we were told we would be getting a gift card of $254.95 ( which btwhad been OK’d several weeks earlier but not sent out yet)which we could then use to pay off our remaining balance of $197.95.   My husband asked why they didn’t just use the gift card to pay off the balance they said we owed and then  send the remaining  balance via gift card. He got no satisfactory answer.  I wondered how they came up with a $254.95 gift card which gets in some complicated accounting maneuvers which still bamboozles me.  We thought we were being so smart using those AARP gift cards ( first time users)but in retrospect wish I had NEVER heard about them.  I wish you the best of luck trying to get your issues resolved.

Edited by HLGW60
  • Like 1

Carnival immediately sent me 2 gift cards via FedEx from my cancelled March cruise

I used them again for my cancelled April cruise and have not received any replacements yet

I did however get back several excursion refunds and a full cruise refund last week

So I don't really think Carnival is "going under"

My TA had no issues getting our gift cards that we paid for cruise fair & taxes for our canceled Med to our 2021 Panama canal. The thing is they he had to ASK to make sure that the taxes & port fees would be transferred over also. 

What could not be transferred over was the gift card I used to purchase our one excursion with. Still waiting on that back in the mail. He was told it was because anything in the Fun Shops is handled a different way than the cruise fares and the systems were not linked so it couldn't be transferred over. 

As of right now we have a $500 balance on our Panama which is correct based on the difference in fares. 

While I don't use AARP for discounted gift cards, I do use a different site that has a way to buy gift cards for 7% "points" back, and also earn points for free gift cards. In truth if I flat out bought them all, I understand how annoying this must all be. The fact that in the past year I got almost $1000 in free gift cards (minus my time at least) makes it palatable for me. After this though, unless it is a free gift card, or within 1-2 weeks of final payment I won't be applying gift cards as I get them anymore though. 

We also used gift cards to pay for transfers, a few shore excursions, and also some Fun Shop purchases.  Since I wanted to use every penny I had on my gift cards then I had some purchases that were paid with remaining balances on 2-3 gift cards as well as a credit card.  I just keep thinking it would have been so much simpler to have had everything put on my credit card.......lol.  My husband and I are almost reconciled to the fact that we might lose about $5000 since we are not sure if we will want to travel to Europe in 2021 on our rebooked cruise unless there is a vaccine then.  If I had paid everything with my credit card then I would have opted for the cash/credit refund.

Edited by HLGW60

My July cruise was canceled and decided to take the FCC because I had used gift cards to pay for a majority of our two cabins.  My PVP took care of the deposits with his supervisor because he didn’t want me to put any more money down.  I paid a combination of GC and credit card.  I’m not sure which took longer to credit, but within 2 weeks both GC and credit card were put towards our new cruise for next year.  My husband and I had purchased 2 drink packages and I had booked a spa using gift cards and still waiting on those.  It’s been about 3 weeks, but I’m not too stressed because my next cruise isn’t until next summer.  My PVP did mention that credits are taking a long time because they’re swamped. He also thanked me for not yelling at him.  I guess he had a full day with unhappy customers, but honestly-I don’t feel like he is responsible-not really his fault. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds like the FCC was never applied??  ...and I'm assuming that's what the OP is inquiring about...why haven't the gift cards (i.e. FCC) been applied to their cruise. 

I didn't see anything about requesting a refund....but again, maybe I'm not understanding the OP's issues correctly.

Garnett

You understood perfectly.  My cruise manager indicates that I owe the full amount, so nothing has been transferred as FCC.  That's the problem.  I don't need a refund, just apply the FCC.

HLGW60

I hope you stand your ground and really think about your cruise. I had to cancel also and have booked 2 cruises instead. The PVP I worked with was very helpful and was able to process everything. They are extremely busy and a little kindness went a long way. I felt just like you, no European trip without a vaccine. My total payment, gratuities and spa time was all with the AARP GCs. I am still waiting for the spa refund but everything else was taken care of. It took about 3 weeks to show up. Hope this helps. 

OP

I believe it will all work out. If mine did, yours can too. 

EVERYONE

Stay well and hope to see you on the next cruise. 

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Dang.

If Carnival has to file for Chapter 11 Reorginization, those gift cards could have $0 value.

But, hey, you saved 10% 😉

Thank God for AARP when they changed their program to sell gift cards.  They limited the number of cards that could be purchased and I was mad at AARP.  But now, thanks AARP.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

You understood perfectly.  My cruise manager indicates that I owe the full amount, so nothing has been transferred as FCC.  That's the problem.  I don't need a refund, just apply the FCC.

That may just be a timing thing that it wasn't processed yet.  However only cruise fare is turned into FCC.  Taxes, port fees, excursions, grats, will be refunded

Many people in my group also paid with Giftcards. We all rebooked for June 2021 and they transferred the amount to our new bookings and gave us $600 in obc. They did have to get someone from the resolution department to approve the transfer. The agents for some reason can transfer credit/debit card payments but they can’t transfer giftcards. So they have to get either a supervisor to approve or an agent in the resolution department to approve. 

if they do go bankrupt (which I think won’t happened as long as they are able to take on investors.....) If they do go bankrupt and they have to reorganize.... More than likely the court will make sure that Carnival customers is taken care of first before their other debt obligations. 

4 hours ago, Treyatl2006 said:

It makes no sense to get a refund if you paid by giftcards. You might as well get the fcc with the $600 obc. 

Right!  That's what I'm trying to do.  FCC with $600 obc on my new cruise, scheduled for next year.  However, after speaking with my PVP twice, it's still not transferred.  It's been several weeks.

12 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

Try printing your cruise documents and check out your balance there. Mine showed I still owned money for a long time on my cruise manager but when I print out docs its shows my correct balance which is zero and all my obc.

14 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

Try printing your cruise documents and check out your balance there. Mine showed I still owned money for a long time on my cruise manager but when I print out docs its shows my correct balance which is zero and all my obc.

JaxsMama, thanks for the suggestion.  My obc is showing up, but still no FCC.  At least I know part of it has been done.  I guess I need to call Carnival.  Maybe I need a new PVP.😧

37 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

JaxsMama, thanks for the suggestion.  My obc is showing up, but still no FCC.  At least I know part of it has been done.  I guess I need to call Carnival.  Maybe I need a new PVP.😧

Yes call Carnival directly and ask them to get the resolution department to transfer the gift card balance to your new booking. The PVP could do that for you but he or she probably doesn’t want to wait on hold for you. But if you call shortly after they open then you won’t have a wait. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Treyatl2006 said:

if they do go bankrupt (which I think won’t happened as long as they are able to take on investors.....) If they do go bankrupt and they have to reorganize.... More than likely the court will make sure that Carnival customers is taken care of first before their other debt obligations. 

So, your thought process is that under re-organization, the court will take care of customers before the bankers, investors, ship builders, employee retirement/pension, catering services, fuel hedges, et al, those with high priced attorneys on retainer will come last.

I hope you're right.

Never heard of refunds regarding gift cards.They only thing you can do with it I think is to purchase a new cruise and then request a full refund. I wonder, will they refund you the whole sum or only part that you paid with actual money? I heard of a guy who did so in the past and and it worked 

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

So, your thought process is that under re-organization, the court will take care of customers before the bankers, investors, ship builders, employee retirement/pension, catering services, fuel hedges, et al, those with high priced attorneys on retainer will come last.

I hope you're right.

Yes that typically what happens although this is certainly under unique circumstances. Investors by nature are risk takers. They knowingly invest or lend to companies knowing that there is risk involved. That is not the same for customers... 

6 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Never heard of refunds regarding gift cards.They only thing you can do with it I think is to purchase a new cruise and then request a full refund. I wonder, will they refund you the whole sum or only part that you paid with actual money? I heard of a guy who did so in the past and and it worked 

In my experience, the 'refund' is a new gift card.  The refund is for the full value of what you paid.  I've had this happen several times in the past.

Garnett

12 hours ago, Treyatl2006 said:

If past precedent holds, were Carnval to declare bankruptcy, customers and shareholders would be at the bottom of the list.  That is the reason the recent taking on of new debt was NOT good news for customers and shareholders, in my opinion.