Jump to content

Mardi Gras work continues


Recommended Posts

This is great news to hear!

 

It will be interesting to see all of the short attention spans of those who "will never cruise again" quickly forget about all of the current happenings when new and exciting ships like the Mardi Gras are here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

This is great news to hear!

 

It will be interesting to see all of the short attention spans of those who "will never cruise again" quickly forget about all of the current happenings when new and exciting ships like the Mardi Gras are here.

LOL, Joe I have been taking notes.  We will see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Our Halloween cruise was cancelled so we Booked the Sunrise and rebooked the Mardi Gras for Halloween 2021. 

The ship might be sailing but I wonder if the virus might be back by then? 

If we only knew

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @jimbo5544 

 

April 28th press release from Meyer Turku Shipyard. 

 

'Corona crisis causes Meyer Turku to start negotiations to lay off people'

 

Article (directly from Meyer Turku) located @: 

https://www.meyerturku.fi/en/meyerturku_com/media/news_releases/news_releases.jsp

 

 

😯

 

Edited by PortSideCruzan
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi @jimbo5544 

 

April 28th press release from Meyer Turku Shipyard. 

 

'Corona crisis causes Meyer Turku to start negotiations to lay off people'

 

Article (directly from Meyer Turku) located @: 

https://www.meyerturku.fi/en/meyerturku_com/media/news_releases/news_releases.jsp

 

 

😯

 

And this means???

Link to post
Share on other sites
I see nothing in the press release that talks to Mardi Gras, what it does infer is future builds.  


This is from Seatrade News link I posted earlier. Looks like Mardis Gras is ok, but they are expecting future builds to be delayed or possibly cancelled.

One cruise ship per year

' ... We have to adjust to that new future,' he continued. 'Instead of a further ramp-up from one to two large ships delivered per year until 2023, the estimation is now that Turku shipyard will in the future build one large cruise ship per year and not further ramp-up.'

Deliveries under negotiation

The exact changes to the building and delivery times of the seven ships in Meyer Turku's orderbook — which reached until 2025 — are still under negotiations with customers.

Carnival Cruise Line's Mardi Gras is due for delivery this year. Costa Toscana is scheduled in 2021, Royal Caribbean International's first Icon-class ship and a Mardi Gras sister in 2022, TUI Cruises' Mein Schiff 7 in 2023, a second Icon ship in 2024 and a third in 2025.”
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

 


This is from Seatrade News link I posted earlier. Looks like Mardis Gras is ok, but they are expecting future builds to be delayed or possibly cancelled.

One cruise ship per year

' ... We have to adjust to that new future,' he continued. 'Instead of a further ramp-up from one to two large ships delivered per year until 2023, the estimation is now that Turku shipyard will in the future build one large cruise ship per year and not further ramp-up.'

Deliveries under negotiation

The exact changes to the building and delivery times of the seven ships in Meyer Turku's orderbook — which reached until 2025 — are still under negotiations with customers.

Carnival Cruise Line's Mardi Gras is due for delivery this year. Costa Toscana is scheduled in 2021, Royal Caribbean International's first Icon-class ship and a Mardi Gras sister in 2022, TUI Cruises' Mein Schiff 7 in 2023, a second Icon ship in 2024 and a third in 2025.”

 

I cannot argue that demand may change and lines and builders will have to adjust.  That said, it was out of control before all “this” happened.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

 

And this means???

 

 

Other than the obvious, being that meyer turku will be laying off hundreds of workers; I think the meyer turku press release certainly means the layoffs could affect the October delievery of Mardi Gras to Carnival, which would then delay the November 14th sailing, and so on... I see nowhere in the press release that says it will or will not affect the delievery of Mardi Gras. We'll have to wait & see. Either way, this is not a good thing. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

 

Other than the obvious, being that meyer turku will be laying off hundreds of workers; I think the meyer turku press release certainly means the layoffs could affect the October delievery of Mardi Gras to Carnival, which would then delay the November 14th sailing, and so on... I see nowhere in the press release that says it will or will not affect the delievery of Mardi Gras. We'll have to wait & see. Either way, this is not a good thing. 

 

 

 

It certainly is not good for the industry, although in the long run might save a couple of cruise lines, certainly not good for the workers.   As to the Mardi Gras, as we both mentioned, we do not know good or bad.   My guess is that The builder wants to get paid for a ship and will do anything in their power to deliver it including keeping workers busy   They did mention other long term components in the release and think it will be focused there.  At any rate, my question to the poster is as in reference to the Mardi Gras 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...