Princess 9/20 Alaska with Victoria cruises

Princess is still listing Alaska cruises in Sept. 2020, from Seattle.  Victoria is included.

How will this work when Americans are not supposed to go to Canada now, for casual travel.  Will they be allowed to skip Victoria?

A couple of years ago, I was on a Princess Alaska cruise that could not dock in Victoria, as the wind/seas were too rough.  They went on to Seattle, and docked there the next morning, with no Victoria.  The sky did not fall.

How will all of this work in September 2020?

17 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

They went on to Seattle, and docked there the next morning, with no Victoria.  The sky did not fall.

Another question is if Alaska cruises will be allowed at all this season? It is not clear Seattle's Port will open to ships. When you get to Seattle you might have swim to shore, maintaining 6ft social distancing of course.

2 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Princess is still listing Alaska cruises in Sept. 2020, from Seattle.  Victoria is included.

How will this work when Americans are not supposed to go to Canada now, for casual travel.  Will they be allowed to skip Victoria?

A couple of years ago, I was on a Princess Alaska cruise that could not dock in Victoria, as the wind/seas were too rough.  They went on to Seattle, and docked there the next morning, with no Victoria.  The sky did not fall.

September 2020 is too late for Alaska cruise.  We left Alaska mid Sept on AMH and we were behind the last cruise ship.  Every port had sales galore.  

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

September 2020 is too late for Alaska cruise.  We left Alaska mid Sept on AMH and we were behind the last cruise ship.  Every port had sales galore.  

I totally agree that a cruise departing after about September 10 is extremely late for Alaska. It gets dark very early. Weather is much more unstable. Many excursion options are closed.

Having said that, Princess Alaska cruises are scheduled to depart again beginning July 1. But that depends on many factors including both Seattle and Canadian officials opening their ports to cruise ships. We won't know till probably June if that will happen on schedule.

43 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

I totally agree that a cruise departing after about September 10 is extremely late for Alaska. It gets dark very early. Weather is much more unstable. Many excursion options are closed.

Having said that, Princess Alaska cruises are scheduled to depart again beginning July 1. But that depends on many factors including both Seattle and Canadian officials opening their ports to cruise ships. We won't know till probably June if that will happen on schedule.

I have taken  a Alaska cruise in late Sept.  All the shops were open with big discounts-70%+. The weather is slightly cooler and wetter.  Looking at the schedule for Alaska cruises, there is 28 cruises after Sept 15th, including one - Norwegian Bliss 7 day R/T from Seattle leaving on Oct. 4th.  In Sept, the Alaska ports have sunlight around 12 hrs-13 hours.  Sept 20th-12 hrs.  

24 minutes ago, cheone said:

I have taken  a Alaska cruise in late Sept.  All the shops were open with big discounts-70%+. The weather is slightly cooler and wetter.  Looking at the schedule for Alaska cruises, there is (sic) 28 cruises after Sept 15th, including one - Norwegian Bliss 7 day R/T from Seattle leaving on Oct. 4th.  In Sept, the Alaska ports have sunlight around 12 hrs-13 hours.  Sept 20th-12 hrs.  

I am not a big shopper so the sales really don't matter to me as much as Alaska itself.  The weather in Alaska is always a crapshoot.  But the LIKELIKHOOD of colder, wetter weather is much greater in September than in any other month of the cruising season.

I feel sorry for all the cruisers who will be on the 28 cruises after Sep 15.  Have you noticed that many cruises stay in port in Juneau and Skagway until 8-9pm?  Pitch black by then in September.  Hey, people who want a cheap cruise and don't want to do some excursions like dog mushing on a glacier or who don't want to take multiple excrusions in one day or who aren't as interested in being able to see the beautiful scenery during sailaway from many ports (and somewhat but not as much sailing into ports), then late September cruises fit them fine.  It wouldn't be for me though!

Edited by frugaltravel
21 minutes ago, cheone said:

I have taken  a Alaska cruise in late Sept.  All the shops were open with big discounts-70%+. The weather is slightly cooler and wetter.  Looking at the schedule for Alaska cruises, there is 28 cruises after Sept 15th, including one - Norwegian Bliss 7 day R/T from Seattle leaving on Oct. 4th.  In Sept, the Alaska ports have sunlight around 12 hrs-13 hours.  Sept 20th-12 hrs.  

The cruise lines try to extend the cruising season to Alaska.  When we were there in mid September, it snowed and we met people who were flying home early because they were freezing!  Buyer beware.  Cruises are less expensive then for a reason. 

We cruise up to Alaska at least every other year and my favorite time of year to go is in September.  We've cruised up there a dozen times and if my Sept cruise wasn't canceled, we'd be happy to be on that sailing.  To each his own but we just love September cruising in Alaska.  Note ... I do not require warm weather for cruising but my last September cruise, I didn't put a jacket on once but used an entire tube of sunblock.  We were in shorts for a few of the days and it was actually relatively warm in Juneau.  Mind you, we live in the SF Bay Area ... so was is a relative term.  I believe the day we were in Juneau was warmer than it was in San Francisco.  

Cruise Raider, like I said the weather in September can be a crapshoot. You hit it at a good time. Others not so much. I can't imagine flying home from a port because I was too cold. That would not be me but others have issues with cold wet weather. You won't know what the weather will be like in ports until you basically get there!

23 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Cruise Raider, like I said the weather in September can be a crapshoot. You hit it at a good time. Others not so much. I can't imagine flying home from a port because I was too cold. That would not be me but others have issues with cold wet weather. You won't know what the weather will be like in ports until you basically get there!

That's true.  We've gone to Alaska in September 9 times (out of 12 trips up there) ... all but one had fantastic weather.  Even with that, the one with bad weather was one of our all time favorite cruises.  

21 hours ago, nooptere said:

Another question is if Alaska cruises will be allowed at all this season? It is not clear Seattle's Port will open to ships. When you get to Seattle you might have swim to shore, maintaining 6ft social distancing of course.

Cute!! 

I heard yesterday that Alaska is starting to relax their lockdown so it may be open to cruises by Sept.

In addition, Princess Cruises can confirm modifications to the Alaska season, which includes the cancellation of all Princess Alaska Gulf cruise and cruisetours. The five wilderness lodges, trains and buses operated by Princess in Alaska will not open this summer. We will continue round-trip sailings from Seattle to Alaska on Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess.

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Cute!! 

I heard yesterday that Alaska is starting to relax their lockdown so it may be open to cruises by Sept.

Even if Alaska may be open in September. Seattle is still a very questionable. The cruises might have to round trip from Florida.

2 minutes ago, nooptere said:

Even if Alaska may be open in September. Seattle is still a very questionable. The cruises might have to round trip from Florida.

We would love that! No flying involved!!!   😄

20 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We’ve done Alaska cruises in both August and September. Both were great. Stores don’t close until after last ship has sailed.

2 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

We’ve done Alaska cruises in both August and September. Both were great. Stores don’t close until after last ship has sailed.

MANY stores don't close until after the last ship has sailed.  But very definitely some stores close earlier.  This year I would think many stores would close before the last ship docks in early October.

We have gone in September and it was fabulous! My BIL wore shorts

most of the time, the stores had great sales, AND the Captain was able to get

us ALL the way down to the glacier at the end of the Tracy Arm Fjord!

This was our 5th time to Alaska and the weather is a crapshoot, regardless of the month.

Love Alaska!

wow, I should have waited to sail up there.  I went in July and it was cool.  Had to wear windbreaker everyday.  Also it rained in Ketchikan.  People say it's rare if you have sun there. 

29 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

wow, I should have waited to sail up there.  I went in July and it was cool.  Had to wear windbreaker everyday.  Also it rained in Ketchikan.  People say it's rare if you have sun there. 

Out of 12 cruises to Alaska, we've only seen it rain in Ketchikan twice, one time where it was really coming down and the other time, it was drizzling on and off and then the sun came out.  Before that first time it rained, I was beginning to think people were just making it up that it rained there all the time.  hahaha!  

Seriously, though .. I do take a nice lined rain jacket and clothes for layering.  With few exceptions, the jacket has usually just gone along for the ride.  I end up mostly wearing sport sandals up there, too.   

Cruise Raider;  lucky you.  We had a great time;  though it was cool.  Could not be on balcony at night.  Too cold. 

16 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

Stores don’t close until after last ship has sailed.

Personally, when we cruise to Alaska, it is for the fantastic scenery and wildlife, not for shopping.

If the shops were all closed from May through September, it would not bother us.

21 hours ago, AF-1 said:

One time (in September), we were pulling out of Ketchikan and it was sunny,

75 degrees and the outside decks were busy with lots of happy people. It was gorgeous.

Also, we saw the Northern Lights on our first Alaska cruise (in late August);

August 28 to be precise. I only remember the date because it would have been

my Dad's 85th birthday- very special.