What is better for a first time Carnival cruiser?

Beardface

So like many of you, my wife and I are thinking about the possibility of jumping on an affordable vacation in the 2021 season after all of this Coronavirus outbreak is hopefully behind us.  Our next trip is going to be the first we are going to take our kid on, so our goal right now is to try and keep it within driving distance for us.  And with that in mind, Carnival is the obvious choice on which line to sail.

So I figure asking the experts here.  For a first time Carnival cruiser bringing their kid on her first cruise, which would you recommend:

Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston, SC

Carnival Pride out of Baltimore, MD

Carnival Legend out of Baltimore, MD

Carnival Magic out of Norfolk, VA

We're clearly not looking to book anytime soon (at least not looking to do so until the ships are actually sailing again), but looking to do some research now so we can be ready when that time comes.

1 minute ago, Beardface said:

So like many of you, my wife and I are thinking about the possibility of jumping on an affordable vacation in the 2021 season after all of this Coronavirus outbreak is hopefully behind us.  Our next trip is going to be the first we are going to take our kid on, so our goal right now is to try and keep it within driving distance for us.  And with that in mind, Carnival is the obvious choice on which line to sail.

So I figure asking the experts here.  For a first time Carnival cruiser bringing their kid on her first cruise, which would you recommend:

Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston, SC

Carnival Pride out of Baltimore, MD

Carnival Legend out of Baltimore, MD

Carnival Magic out of Norfolk, VA

We're clearly not looking to book anytime soon (at least not looking to do so until the ships are actually sailing again), but looking to do some research now so we can be ready when that time comes.

You didn't mention your child's age, but if she's old enough to enjoy the kids club and other activities with new friends or family, I'd choose the Magic.

If she will be in diapers she won't be allowed in any pool.

You didn't mention the itinerary so it's hard to pick. Going simply for the ship, my choices would be (in order)

1. Magic

2. Sunshine

3. flip a coin for the Pride or the Legend. Not really a fan of the Conquest Class. 

38 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You didn't mention your child's age, but if she's old enough to enjoy the kids club and other activities with new friends or family, I'd choose the Magic.

If she will be in diapers she won't be allowed in any pool.

She'd be 3 to 3 and a half by the time we went.  Wanted to get past the 2s before we took her on a vacation just so we could somewhat reason and bargain with her in public to avoid complete meltdowns, which is why we didn't bring her on our MSC cruise in February.

As for the itineraries, the ones we are looking at are all essentially trips to the Bahamas and back.  Don't really want to go too crazy with an itinerary with a 3-4 year old, we'll save that for when she's a little older.

And I should probably mention that while it looks like we can book any of the other 3 pretty much year round, the Magic only sails out of Norfolk in late Sept/Oct.  Given hurricane season, especially around here, I'm a little hesitant there.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I'd pick the one closest to drive to. Is sunshine the closest? I'd try that one first. Dont make it over complicated. 

Norfolk, actually.  Its only about 2.5 hours from here.  Charleston is a little under 4 and Baltimore would be around 5, but my brother in law lives in Silver Spring, so while that is the longest drive, it might have more perks, so to speak.

Based on your child’s age, I would recommend Pride or Legend. Both of these are Spirit class ships, which are very well designed and are the least crowded ships in Carnival’s fleet based on my experience. If your child was a little older I would have recommended Magic since there are a lot more activities for kids to enjoy. 

Spirit class. It's a nice class with the most space per person. I took miracle to alaska and it's a very nice class.

Magic to me is a upgraded conquest class, with a extra dining or two. The ship after magic had a few more bells and whistles, but magic has italian food, which I dont like ha. 

Sunshine is a older ship they upgraded and squeezed in more cabins... then renamed.

Are these all 7 days?

Edited by firefly333

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I'm a little confused. 3 both ships you list arent conquest class. It's a nice class with the most space per person. I took miracle to alaska and it's a very nice class.

Magic to me is a upgraded conquest class, with a extra dining or two choice. If you arsnt a conquest fan, idk about magic, though it was fine, but the ship after magic had a few more bells and whistles, but magic has italian food, which I dont like ha. 

Sunshine is a older ship they upgraded and squeezed in more cabins... then renamed.

Are these all 7 days?

Yea someone else corrected me. I realized my error after posting it. But, I am still not a fan of the Conquest Class. I cannot pinpoint exactly WHY I do not like them. I guess because of the lido layout? Not sure. I hate the tiers. I love the Dream Class though. I have been on the Magic 3 times and absolutely love that ship. 

Just now, teknoge3k said:

Yea someone else corrected me. I realized my error after posting it. But, I am still not a fan of the Conquest Class. I cannot pinpoint exactly WHY I do not like them. I guess because of the lido layout? Not sure. I hate the tiers. I love the Dream Class though. I have been on the Magic 3 times and absolutely love that ship. 

Sorry, I was responding to email and quoted you by mistake thinking you were op.

I liked magic more than dream. Idk how many times I'm done each any more ha

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Spirit class. It's a nice class with the most space per person. I took miracle to alaska and it's a very nice class.

Magic to me is a upgraded conquest class, with a extra dining or two. The ship after magic had a few more bells and whistles, but magic has italian food, which I dont like ha. 

Are these all 7 days?

They have 7 day offerings, but we'd also settle for 5 if the price was right.  Sunshine can get us 5 days for as low as $200pp before taxes/fees.

Now that a few more facts are on the table I'd skip the Magic.  Your daughter will be too young to enjoy most of the bells and whistles.

I would go for a Baltimore sailing.  Debarking is depressing and it would be fun to be able to look forward to visiting with family for a day or two before driving home.

Whatever you choose, happy sailing.

8 minutes ago, Beardface said:

They have 7 day offerings, but we'd also settle for 5 if the price was right.  Sunshine can get us 5 days for as low as $200pp before taxes/fees.

5 is good for a newbie. We did a 5 first time I took my sister with epilepsy to see how she did. She loved it. 

tbh when I book a 5 now, I try and pair it with another leg. I got a 5/4 booked next april 2021.

You can make 5 feel longer, get a hotel at the beach if there is one, go sooner and visit with relatives.

44 minutes ago, Beardface said:

She'd be 3 to 3 and a half by the time we went.  Wanted to get past the 2s before we took her on a vacation just so we could somewhat reason and bargain with her in public to avoid complete meltdowns, which is why we didn't bring her on our MSC cruise in February.

LOL! We started cruising with our girls when they were 4 and 6. What worked well for us was going through lido buffet with the girls, letting them pick out dinner then sitting with them. Once they were done with dinner, we would drop them off at the kids club while we had a "date dinner" in the MDR.  Then we would pick them up and we would go to the show in the theater. As they got older, we had dinner with them in MDR which they love. Now my girls are 17 and 19. Cruising has been a great way to vacation together, meltdowns and all😀

To me they are all the same. Honestly, if I was going on one of those cruises I would check the cabins and maybe extra amenities that they offer. Especially if you travel with a kid. I would suggest looking for these items specifically. Also I would find out whether they have some sort of animation for the kids

Been on the pride 3 times and this September will be the 4th. The spirit class isn't the newest or the fanciest but they have alot of room compared to others from what I've read on here and other reviews. The pride has an arcade, kids clubs, small waterpark, and daily activities for the kids. 

I'm not sure when the legend will replace the pride in 2021 for Baltimore sailings but the ships should be identical.

As far as itineraries we prefer Bermuda on the 7 day cruise. It may be a good idea for a first time cruiser (possible sea sickness) as well since the ship will dock at Bermuda for 2 1/2 days..

Just my opinion though.