Cruise Critic Community
mnocket

Anyone Else See 2021 Prices Going Up?

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I see the pricing structure a bit more clandestine than a transparent two tier system. For example, this is the second email I have received where FCC bookings can not be used in conjunction with a special being offered. I do suspect these types of exclusive offers  to become the norm as cruise lines engage in a feeding frenzy for new travel dollars. This came from Celebrity:

image.png.3c9e7b85a40917512351dd7d1b285461.png

It seems I may have been wrong about the fury if cruise lines went to a two tier pricing system where sales/promotions were only available to non-FCC bookings.  Some seem to be doing it and there is little objection on CC.

I was looking at Northern European cruises on the MSC website. When I click on a specific cruise showing a price in the $700 range, the price per person jumps to nearly double. I would understand if one date was a loss leader, but each time I click, I can see just one date.

Is anyone else experiencing higher rates on the website?

21 hours ago, Match Game 72 said:

I was looking at Northern European cruises on the MSC website. When I click on a specific cruise showing a price in the $700 range, the price per person jumps to nearly double. I would understand if one date was a loss leader, but each time I click, I can see just one date.

Is anyone else experiencing higher rates on the website?

That's why I started this thread.  The 2021 Norwegian Fjords cruise I've been watching has increased $1,000 per person.

Today we booked an 18 day Oceania cruise (with a terrific itinerary).  Our total cost, including air fare, is just about the same as a MSC Caribbean cruise (in Dec 2021) in the YC that does not even include air and is only a 14 day cruise.  We have booked similar MSC cruises for the past couple of years, but in 2021 there is a 20% price increase which IMHO makes the cruise a bad value.  We love cruising MSC in the YC, but DW and I have also cruised on 14 other cruise lines.  We look for value (not low cost), itinerary, quality, etc.  But we were surprised that we could book an 18 night Oceania cruise (which includes air) for far less money then a 14 day MSC cruise would cost us with air.  And also consider the MSC cruise would only involve round trip air to Florida while the Oceania cruise involves air from South America....and it is still significantly less costly.

We do understand that many cruisers get their minds set on a "loyalty" thing and tend to stick with the same line.  While we really enjoy MSC's YC, there is a point at which it is just not worth the cost (to us).   We have an upcoming Seaside cruise in the YC and look forward to the experience.  But now, we wonder if it will be our last MSC cruise :(.  We are always cognizant that MSC is simply a mass market line which has offered a quality product in their YC.  But when luxury cruises can be booked for about the same (or less money) then it does pay to look elsewhere.   There are some folks who claim that NCL kept increasing the price of their Haven Suites to a point where it is no longer a reasonable value.  Now, it seem that MSC might be following the same trend. 

Hank

Posted (edited)

Hlitner,

You make some very good points We were on the NCL Pearl in the Haven, and never again. There was no separate dining room and no separate open bar lounge. The suite was great, but the price was astronomical. We also were in the Yacht club on the Divinia and liked it (and the price) very much. If the YC prices itself close to our favorite line (Regent) we’ll go that route, however. 

MSC and NCL are both just mass market lines in the main parts of the ships. It is just that they have premium areas intended to simulate lux lines.  MSC does a better job of this than NCL to our experience. And the fact that MSC is mainly mass market style (albeit the best of the lot), in no way does the mass market part of the ship meet any definition of social distancing. Lines and crowds are common. We do not yet know what rules in this regard will be applied to cruise lines by the US and other relevant countries. But unless the rules blow off social distancing entirely, I don’t see how the mass market parts of MSC ships will be allowed to sail full. I don’t see the need for any physical or booking changes in the YC, which has always been socially distanced. But in the regular, main parts of MSC ships, there will be zero social distancing if they are allowed to sail full. 

So it is possible that the future cruise price fluctuations may be at least due to anticipation that the main ship areas may be restricted well below capacity. And if capacity isn’t restricted  on mass market lines there are those of us who won’t go within a mile of one (even if it has a premium area) Until a vaccine is developed and available. And maybe not even then.

Edited by Dolebludger

Posted (edited)

We booked a couple of cruises for next Oct and Nov 2021 in Caribbean. Booked quickly when it became apparent FCC would put pressure on cruises for next year. We figured by late October or November, it might be safe to sail.

November - 15 day cruise was $9,400 approx when we booked. Same cruise is now $10,900 . It is for YC.  Very surprised at that increase.

we had 15 day Iceland cruise cancelled last month but, opted for refund and not FCC, even at 125%.
Did not want to be locked into a cruise. FCC cannot be transferred to a different cruise, if we change our minds.

Edited by phissy

20 hours ago, phissy said:

We booked a couple of cruises for next Oct and Nov 2021 in Caribbean. Booked quickly when it became apparent FCC would put pressure on cruises for next year. We figured by late October or November, it might be safe to sail.

November - 15 day cruise was $9,400 approx when we booked. Same cruise is now $10,900 . It is for YC.  Very surprised at that increase.

we had 15 day Iceland cruise cancelled last month but, opted for refund and not FCC, even at 125%.
Did not want to be locked into a cruise. FCC cannot be transferred to a different cruise, if we change our minds.

That pretty much mirrors my experience.  It's interesting that on this, and other boards, people are reporting some opposite experiences.  With cruise lines taking on huge debt and being required to follow some COVID precautions that will impact revenue (i.e. reduced occupancy), price increases would seem unavoidable, yet some are still finding bargains.