Cruise Critic Community
Travelcat2

WHEN REGENT FIRST CANCELLED CRUISES

Posted (edited)

There are some off-topic posts on another thread regarding when Regent cancelled cruises due to Covid-19.  While I am not certain of many things, I was fairly certain that it was our cruise (March 14th) but have been told fairly strongly that it began with the February 12th cruise.  While this is not a big deal, I went back to the Coronavirus thread that I started a while ago.  Here it is 

It is a heck of a lot to read.  The discussion of the February 12th cruise (supposedly cancelled) began around page 6.  This was the cruise when a CC member was denied embarkation because they transferred through Hong Kong (that was okay when booked but became a no-no later on).  Pay special attention to posts #248, 281 and 285.  This cruise had some major itinerary changes but was not cancelled.

It was hard for me to read everything between the February 12th cruise and the March 1st cruise because my system is not working and I'm having to post from my DH's system which I am not used to (Apple vs. Microsoft).  However, I was not able to find anything regarding the cruise being cancelled (perhaps some of you may find it).  Please correct me if I am wrong and refer to the post.  Thanks much!

I found it interesting to read the comments back in February vs. the comments being made today.  While most of us were wrong about everything, that is to be expected with a Novel virus.  Here we are almost in May and we still have a lot of uncertainties.  

The fact that our March 14th cruise was the first cancelled due to Coronavirus is not a big deal - except to those of us that were planning to take the cruise.  Had previous cruises been cancelled, it is unlikely that so many passengers would fly to San Diego.  One passenger spent almost a week in San Diego - looking at the Splendor and looking forward to boarding her.  On top of that, when cruises were cancelled, flights to Europe were also being cancelled.  Thankfully, the passengers were able to get home.

In any case, reviewing/scanning this thread from February may be interesting (or not).

Stay Safe!

NOTE:  Hoping that I can open this thread to anything Regent/Covid-19 without limitations other than being polite (maybe wishful thinking but I can always hope)

Edited by Travelcat2

A poster on another thread reminded me of the March 12th "cruise" which was actually a mini 2-day cruise for TA's.  This was cancelled - as well as having family members onboard (a huge disappointment).  Most of us felt that Regent would rather not risk have unknown passengers on board and took these measures due to "an abundance of caution" (at least that is what we were told).  So, if one wants to consider the 2-day March 12th cruise a cancellation, I agree (but do not agree that it was really a cruise as it was not suppose to have Regent passengers on board.  As a reminder, the cruise prior to the March 14th cruise did sail - from Miami to San Diego.  It departed around the very end of February and was due to arrive in San Diego on the 12th of March.

If any of us thought that this cruise would be cancelled, they would not have flown to San Diego.  Obviously, if prior cruises had been cancelled, that would have been a huge warning sign.  

It started getting "testy" about the first week of March.  We had a March 8 cruise booked on another line, but cancelled three days before the  cruise as they were doing weird things like denying ships ports, etc.  Since my husband had cancer surgery scheduled we were afraid of being out to sea and not making it back in time for the surgery.  Things were going downhill in early March and I do remember reading about people not being allowed to board in Hong Kong.  This whole thing is a major disaster for everyone.  I know who the people are who flew here from Europe and they are good sports for not being super angry.  I too am glad they made it back.  What a mess.  Personally, we would cruise now, but my driver told me he had to take a lady to LAX 5 different times before she was successful in getting a plane back to somewhere in America.  They kept cancelling at the last minute.  That story chilled my soul about taking a plane anywhere.  Personally, this lockdown in California has gotten to me mentally.  It is HARD!

Jackie, just take a look at the Voyager roll calls for the February 12, March 1 and March 13 cruises.  All of them were cancelled in February due to the coronavirus crisis in Asia.  The February 12 cruise was cut short and the other two were cancelled before they began.

Dave

Posted (edited)

Travelcat2 , cruises on Voyager were cancelled in February, as stated correctly by Flossie on the other thread. 

The cancellations were discussed on the relevant Roll Call threads but they were  also discussed in this thread, link below, post #58 onwards.  
Actually you had been contributing to this thread and  again you acknowledged the cancellations in a post that you made on 24th February,  specifically your post #160, final paragraph. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2733055-voyager-cruises-in-asia-feb-march-2020/page/3/

Edited by Isklaar
Missed a word

Posted (edited)

Okay - just checked the February 12th cruise.  It was not cancelled until February 20th (with passengers disembarking on the 22nd) - well Into the cruise.  And, the reason stated was not Covid-19 but rather port changes.  See post from Roll Call below.

This morning the Captain announced that the remainder of the cruise is now canceled. We will stay one more night in Laem Chabang (Bangkok) and all passengers will disembark tomorrow morning 22 Feb. The reason is the availability of berths at the Malaysian ports and the possibility of last minute changes by port authorities regarding entry. Well, we had about 10 good days, but missed the ports we really wanted to go to. We have our return flights already.

The refund is very generous; see the attached file. Once again, Regent did the right thing!

===================================================================================================

I also checked the March 1st cruise and it was indeed cancelled due to Covid-19.

In any case, when I'm wrong - I'm wrong and have no problem admitting it (and my apologies to Flossie)

.   It completely amazes me that everyone that I know or has posted on our Roll Call was not aware of this (will verify this tomorrow when my system is working a bit better).  It would have been a red flag.  The CC member that was almost stuck in the U.S. certainly would have thought twice before flying all the way to San Diego.  Apparently, it was March 13th when ALL cruises were cancelled.  Thank you Dave and Isklaar!

Caroldoll - agree that the lockdown is having a dramatic effect on many of us.  We do have a mini-cruise scheduled for September but unless the cruise line (not Regent) gives us some firm details, we will cancel before final payment is due.   

Edited by Travelcat2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

There are some off-topic posts on another thread regarding when Regent cancelled cruises due to Covid-19. 

Really? Jackie, surely you must have better things to do than make sure you have the last word on everything. I immensely enjoy my time while onboard a Regent cruise and have gained much knowledge on the CC boards and much from you. 

Thank you for sharing your knowledge but at the end of the day and unless I am mistaken, you are not an authorized spokes person for Regent. It would be much appreciated if you would stop opining without actual facts. Your past experience does not fit into today's environment. 

Going crickets unless my temperature rises. Or I can confirm my refund has hit my credit card.

Edited by Maxmann65
refund info

10 minutes ago, Maxmann65 said:

Really? Jackie, surely you must have better things to do than make sure you have the last word on everything. I immensely enjoy my time while onboard a Regent cruise and have gained much knowledge on the CC boards and much from you. 

Thank you for sharing your knowledge but at the end of the day and unless I am mistaken, you are not an authorized spokes person for Regent. It would be much appreciated if you would stop opining without actual facts. Your past experience does not fit into today's environment. 

Going crickets unless my temperature rises. Or I can confirm my refund has hit my credit card.

Rudeness has no place on CC - especially at this time.  If you consider less than 2 months ago a past experience, so be it.  And, you (or anyone else) are welcome to answer questions about Regent.  Let he or she that has never made a mistake on CC, speak out.

Glad to hear that you refund was received.  Stay safe!

Posted (edited)

Feb 12 was cancelled partway through. To the best of my knowledge it was the first cruise with cancellations due to COVID-19. 

Edited by Pcardad

PS - I think there were about 36 people who were denied boarding in Bali.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Rudeness has no place on CC - especially at this time.  If you consider less than 2 months ago a past experience, so be it.  And, you (or anyone else) are welcome to answer questions about Regent.  Let he or she that has never made a mistake on CC, speak out.

Glad to hear that you refund was received.  Stay safe!

I have yet to receive my refund.

Excuse me...You really need to pay attention to what is said and stop assuming things and get off your self created high horse. You and I have gone around a time or two and I have been banned from posting on CC in the past when we did not agree. One reason for all the crickets.

Wishing you and your DH safe sailings.

And the point of this thread is what ? 
Not exactly sure of your motives are when this has been discussed on another thread as noted above. ?  Jean.

There is no longer a purpose and I have asked that this thread be removed.

There wasn't a purpose in the first place, other than to reassure you that you were part of the "First cruise to cancel from Regent".   Sounded pretty insecure if you ask me...

As far as I was concerned finding out that the 14 Mar cruise from San Diego was cancelled sealed our fate for our 1 Apr cruise on Splendor.   I didn' t know about the others overseas.

The rest of this thread just got ugly..

21 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

There wasn't a purpose in the first place, other than to reassure you that you were part of the "First cruise to cancel from Regent".   Sounded pretty insecure if you ask me...

Sry but that dubious award probably falls on me - I was denied boarding on Feb 12. 

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In any case, when I'm wrong - I'm wrong and have no problem admitting it (and my apologies to Flossie)

Thank you

Although any cruise cancellation is extremely disappointing, the March 14 cancellation was obviously made more traumatic because of the lack of notice to customers; especially for those who had travelled long distances to join the ship.

The negotiations between the US authorities and CLIA seem to an outsider to have been handled without much planning or forethought; leaving the likes of Regent, its staff & customers to pick up the pieces.

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Rudeness has no place on CC

I agree

Maybe it didn't help to be shouting (all caps) in the Topic Title 😉

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Thank you

Although any cruise cancellation is extremely disappointing, the March 14 cancellation was obviously made more traumatic because of the lack of notice to customers; especially for those who had travelled long distances to join the ship.

The negotiations between the US authorities and CLIA seem to an outsider to have been handled without much planning or forethought; leaving the likes of Regent, its staff & customers to pick up the pieces.

I agree

I've already apologized to you -- what else should I do in order for you to stop you from picking apart everything that I do or say:classic_angry:.  I did not even notice that the subject was in all caps (I type by touch and do not look at the screen).  Everyone deserves a break sometimes......... and, when I noticed the subject (the next day) and realized that I was wrong, I immediately asked to have the thread removed.  For whatever reason, it is still here.

Edited by Travelcat2

4 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Thank you

I agree

I questioned my flight via HK prior to leaving in early Feb. I was assured, in writing, it would be fine. After arriving Bali, the rules changed a total of three times, all sent to me in writing. The final change at the end of the week was that I was to be denied boarding. I went halfway around the world, was tugged back and forth, spent many hours texting, emailing and finally, speaking to the manager of the air department at 3:30AM to secure flights home for ourselves and clients who were on the ship but decided to get off when they heard the news. Regent's employees were, without exception, compassionate, kind, patient and willing to go above and beyond my expectations (and I have very high expectations) to do right by us.

So yes, while things may sometimes look difficult, a little bit of patience, cooperation and a positive outlook will get us through these times together. 

Regent EARNED our business that week...and I have faith in them to do the right thing in the future.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I questioned my flight via HK prior to leaving in early Feb. I was assured, in writing, it would be fine. After arriving Bali, the rules changed a total of three times, all sent to me in writing. The final change at the end of the week was that I was to be denied boarding. I went halfway around the world, was tugged back and forth, spent many hours texting, emailing and finally, speaking to the manager of the air department at 3:30AM to secure flights home for ourselves and clients who were on the ship but decided to get off when they heard the news. Regent's employees were, without exception, compassionate, kind, patient and willing to go above and beyond my expectations (and I have very high expectations) to do right by us.

So yes, while things may sometimes look difficult, a little bit of patience, cooperation and a positive outlook will get us through these times together. 

Regent EARNED our business that week...and I have faith in them to do the right thing in the future.

Thank you for sharing your story.  I was aware of most of what you went through and made reference to a CC member that was denied boarding.... however, out of respect, I did not mention your "name" as it was your story to tell - if you wanted to share it.

I have asked for "patience, cooperation and a positive outlook" many times during this crisis.  Hopefully someone will pay attention to your post.

So sad.  Do we have to argue.  It is a sad time for all of us.  It was extra sad for people who were in transit and denied boarding, etc.  I have noticed, at least in California, that people are being kinder and gentler.  We are all on edge.  Can we cut a break?