Cruise Critic Community
Old Sea Dog

June cruises cancelled

It appears that cancelled every cruise on the Serenity accept the one leaving on June 26.  Of course, this is the one I'm on.

Here’s the full announcement as posted on Crystal’s website  

Cruise Cancellations: Crystal Cruises (Ocean) Thru June 2020

UPDATED Wednesday, April 29, 2020 1pm EST 

Crystal continues to closely monitor the latest developments as the unprecedented situation concerning COVID-19 is rapidly evolving. Due to temporary closures of European ports, it is with regret that we have made the decision to cancel the following Crystal Cruises sailings:

• • OCS200607-12 | Crystal Symphony | June 7, 2020 | 12 nights | Lisbon to London
  • • OCS200607-05 | Crystal Symphony | June 7, 2020 | 5 nights | Lisbon to Bordeaux
  • • OCS200612-07 | Crystal Symphony | June 12, 2020 | 7 nights | Bordeaux to London
  • • OCS200619-14 | Crystal Symphony | June 19, 2020 | 14 nights | London to Copenhagen
  • • OCY200607-07 | Crystal Serenity | June 7, 2020 | 7 nights | Venice to Athens
  • • OCY200614-12 | Crystal Serenity | June 14, 2020 | 12 nights | Athens to Barcelona

Guests on these cancelled sailings will have two options to consider:

• • Credits* equal to 125% of their cruise fare paid, based on fully-paid fare – valid on any Crystal experience (Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition) embarking through December 31, 2022 – along with a refund of port charges, taxes and fees paid, and any air and hotel packages booked through Crystal.

OR

• • A 100% refund of cruise fare, port charges, taxes, and fees paid, and any air and hotel packages booked through Crystal. 

If guests are unable to redeem the Credits by December 31, 2022, they may request a refund of the original cruise fare paid. 

We will be applying the Credits to the guest profile. However, if a guest prefers the refund option, we kindly ask that they advise us May 12, 2020 by emailing us at Resolutions@crystalcruises.com.

We also suggest that our guests contact their travel advisor to further discuss these options and to assist in rebooking a future Crystal cruise.

We will be communicating these changes to our booked guests and their travel advisors directly. On behalf of everyone at Crystal, we thank our guests for their understanding and patience as we navigate this ever-changing situation, and we look forward to welcoming them on a future voyage.

*Credits may be used with Crystal’s 2-for-1 Fares and Book Now Savings along with most other savings offered. Guests who chose the 125% Credit option will be provided a 100% Future Cruise Payment Credit (FCP) coupon and an additional 25% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) coupon. Each coupon can be used on a single, non-fully paid, future booking or coupons can be combined on a single booking. The Future Cruise Credit (FCC) is not available to incentive groups or guests under charter contracts, not combinable with certain promotions like “Best Available” and “Flex Fares,” it is non-transferable, non-refundable once applied, and cannot be used in lieu of the deposit requirement on your new booking. The 100% Future Cruise Payment Credit (FCP) may be used towards deposit. Third party air, hotel and insurance reimbursements will be based on their individual policies.

Kudos to Crystal !

I had a very respectful and constructive  dialogue with other posters regarding the previous wordings regarding the 125% FCC, which was apparently not consistent with the actual practical approach taken by Crystal. To my mind, the new 100% FCP and 25% FCC methodology addresses the issues I raised admirably and is very fair and equitable. Looks like Crystal may have monitored our comments and amended the Ts and Cs. Thanks and well done Crystal.

This is for Parallax . . . We are also on the June 26 cruise.  Our flights on KLM from LAX to Barcelona

were canceled.  Have you checked with Air France to see if those flights are still on ?  Wish Crystal

would cancel sooner than later so we can take care of other cancelations on our end.

19 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Interesting question, and one that probably cannot be answered until we start to see the FCCs being used. Normally an FCC is non-commissionable to the TA and is applied in the same way as, for instance, the CS Discount, as a price reduction. In the current situation, all of the cruise lines are "protecting" TA commissions on both the old (cancelled) and new (FCC) bookings, which would mean, and I am speculating, that the FCC would be applied as a payment against the booking rather than as a reduction of the price.

Most cruise lines apply FCC as a discount from the cruise.  Thus it does not appear on any invoice and therefore it is not insurable.   One reason I would never accept a FCC in lieu of a refund. 

Also NO clarification as to what happens if an cruise where you have a FCC is cancelled.  I would want that in writing from Crystal.

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Also NO clarification as to what happens if an cruise where you have a FCC is cancelled.  I would want that in writing from Crystal.

My TA tells me that if Crystal cancels the cruise, the FCC would go back on my account. 

What is even more ambiguous is what happens if I cancel the cruise.  For example, if I use the FCC for "early" final payment and then cancel before the penalty date, what happens?  I have gotten conflicting answers to this from different TAs.  The TA who has my 2021 booking tells me I would lose the FCC if I cancel it, so I decided not to use it for that one.  I want the option to cancel it myself, either under the current cancellation terms or if Crystal later extends the 2020 cancellation terms into 2021.

4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

My TA tells me that if Crystal cancels the cruise, the FCC would go back on my account. 

What is even more ambiguous is what happens if I cancel the cruise.  For example, if I use the FCC for "early" final payment and then cancel before the penalty date, what happens?  I have gotten conflicting answers to this from different TAs.  The TA who has my 2021 booking tells me I would lose the FCC if I cancel it, so I decided not to use it for that one.  I want the option to cancel it myself, either under the current cancellation terms or if Crystal later extends the 2020 cancellation terms into 2021.

With the proviso these are not "normal" times or "normal" uses for FCCs, under normal circumstances, if you cancel, the FCC would be re-instated. The unknown here is where would the expiry date land. The original expiry date of the FCC, which if it has already passed means you would lose it? Or some date down the road. I don't know the answer to that one, and as I said in another post, we may not know the answer until these FCCs start getting used.

22 hours ago, lido1 said:

This is for Parallax . . . We are also on the June 26 cruise.  Our flights on KLM from LAX to Barcelona

were canceled.  Have you checked with Air France to see if those flights are still on ?  Wish Crystal

would cancel sooner than later so we can take care of other cancelations on our end.

According to the AF website, our flights are still scheduled.  We have a holiday Crystal cruise scheduled so we were going to roll the money into that cruise.  

parallax . . .  I guess we just keep waiting to see if the cruise is going.  Our flights were still scheduled, but

when I contacted the airlines they were cancelled.  You might want to call as well . . .

3 hours ago, parallax said:

According to the AF website, our flights are still scheduled.  We have a holiday Crystal cruise scheduled so we were going to roll the money into that cruise.  

The easiest way to see if the flight is still scheduled - try to book the same flight with a dummy booking.  If the flight shows no seats or if the flight cannot be found to book, best guess would be that the flight will not fly as expected.

I tryed the "dummy" booking & seats were available for our flight.   Strange . . . 

Just got an email from my travel agent with the email she just received from Crystal noting that my June cruise is canceled and my refund will come in the method it was paid. So, I'll use May 1st, the date on the email, as the beginning of the 90 day count down. For extra humor, the email from Crystal uses the Wilshire Blvd, LA mailing address. Crystal doesn't even know that office has been closed! 🙄🥴😎

Patty

22 minutes ago, lido1 said:

Was it for the June 26 sailing ?

No, June 7, Lisbon to London.

Patty

14 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Just got an email from my travel agent with the email she just received from Crystal noting that my June cruise is canceled and my refund will come in the method it was paid. So, I'll use May 1st, the date on the email, as the beginning of the 90 day count down. 🙄🥴😎

I canceled that cruise on March 11 and still no refund or FCC.  I was worried Crystal might try to run it even though everyhting was in chaos.

I have a christmas market river cruise booked and all paid for departing december 2nd from budapest to vienna.  can someone tell me if i cancel the cruise now, will i get 100% of my fare back or will crystal keep some of it as the administrative fee?  if i wait until crystal cancels the cruise, then am i entitled to 100% of my paid fare back without paying an administrative fee?

i have no idea what to do or if i can do anything about british airways flights from phoenix to london, london to budapest and vienna back to london.  any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

I feel so bad for those people. I am sure they were not aware that this particular cruises may get cancelled. I mean it sounded safe to go on a cruise in June. Too bad they  were cancelled. People in banks issuing refunds are probably going crazy with the amount of refunds they have to issue. I hope these people found another way to spend their vacation 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

I have a christmas market river cruise booked and all paid for departing december 2nd from budapest to vienna.  can someone tell me if i cancel the cruise now, will i get 100% of my fare back or will crystal keep some of it as the administrative fee?  if i wait until crystal cancels the cruise, then am i entitled to 100% of my paid fare back without paying an administrative fee?

i have no idea what to do or if i can do anything about british airways flights from phoenix to london, london to budapest and vienna back to london.  any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

David

You will get a better answer specific to your situation by asking your travel agent.

In the meantime, here is Crystal's cancellation policy for recently cancelled river cruises.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/corona-virus-health-advisory/crystal-river-cruises-2020-cancellations

Bear in mind that this announcement applies to cruises already cancelled - they may change between now and December.

You also might want to post your question of the river cruise thread, in case a fellow passenger can share their information.

Editted to add information about the passenger cancelling.  Scroll down to "CANCELLATION POLICY FOR ALL 2020 VOYAGES"

https://www.crystalcruises.com/book-with-crystal-confidence

Edited by crickette

thanks crickette 

i just did a post on the river cruise board and will see if someone answers me there.  

14 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

thanks in advance,

Unfortunately, I can only advise on the situation so far as UK bookings are concerned. In general, BA will offer you vouchers for future travel and apply no fees/charges if you cancel. If they cancel, then UK passengers are entitled to a refund, although BA make it quite difficult for this to be obtained. 

In your circumstances, I would suggest you ask your TA how things would work for you. Alternatively, or if you booked direct, the BA policies should be clearly set out on their US website.

I did call Crystal Cruises today and got a very good response from them my sales representative told me that I had until November 1st to cancel the river cruise and if I canceled it I would get vouchers towards another Cruise from the administrative fee and if I wanted cash back on my credit card they would give me cash back on my credit card he said crystal wants to be very passenger-friendly because of the virus pandemic that's going on so that made me feel very good now I have to call British Airways and see what they will do for me with my British Airways tickets

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

I did call Crystal Cruises today and got a very good response from them my sales representative told me that I had until November 1st to cancel the river cruise and if I canceled it I would get vouchers towards another Cruise from the administrative fee and if I wanted cash back on my credit card they would give me cash back on my credit card he said crystal wants to be very passenger-friendly because of the virus pandemic ...

David, if you want monies back on your credit card, you'll need to cancel your Dec 1 river cruise well before Nov 1 according to Crystal's published cancellation schedule.  It's true that if you cancel by Nov 1, you would receive 100% FCC (voucher) less a $500 admin fee but there is no cash refund option at that point.  In order to get a refund of monies paid, you'd need to cancel at +121 days before sailing which puts it around Aug 2.  To further complicate things, I have an email from Crystal dated Mar 9 announcing a cancellation policy update that says you could cancel at +90 days before sailing and receive monies back, which would make it Sept 2 for you.  But I wouldn't risk leaving it to then since my email is likely overridden by the current policy on their website.

Best to confirm with your TA so you don't let a critical deadline pass unknowingly.

Table of the cancellation and future cruise credit policy for Crystal.

*Admin Fees for Ocean are: $100 for voyages 13 days or less, $200 for voyages 14-21 days and $500 for voyages 22 days or more. Admin Fees for River, Yacht & Expedition voyages are $500 regardless of length. Future Cruise Credit may be applied to new bookings or existing bookings that have not been paid in full. Future Cruise Credit may not be used for initial deposit or split over multiple bookings and there is no refund value. Future Cruise Credit must be applied by 12/31/2020 to a booking departing by the end of 2022. Future Cruise Credit will be applied to guests’ profile within 30 days.

Actually I was told that I could cancel the cruise 30 days in advance of the cruise and still receive either a cash refund or FCC refund and I would even get an FCC refund on the administrative fee he told me I would not lose a nickel perhaps they changed their policy since March because he told me they want to be very customer friendly and helpful now

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

Actually I was told that I could cancel the cruise 30 days in advance of the cruise and still receive either a cash refund or FCC refund and I would even get an FCC refund on the administrative fee he told me I would not lose a nickel perhaps they changed their policy since March because he told me they want to be very customer friendly and helpful now

Do you have that in writing?  No cruise line will cash refund you for cancelling 30 days in advance.  They cannot even dream of doing that in good time, in hard time, they don’t have money to pay staff.  How will they refund you?