Cruise Critic Community
sagavista

Marella Celebration - aka Noordam(1984) - to be retired

Marella Cruises announced today that it plans to retire the 1984-built Celebration, aka Noordam.  The ship was built in 1984 by Chantiers de l'Atlantique for Holland America Line and sailed under its brand through 2005, when she was moved to Thomson Cruises, which eventually became Marella.  I am sure many of us have fond memories of sailing on her and her sister ship, Nieuw Amsterdam.  Another classic liner gone but not forgotten. 

Noordam was our first cruise in ‘85, and Nieuw Amsterdam in ‘88.  Such fond memories.

Posted (edited)

Noordam was our second HAL ship, Ryndam being the first. The first time on Noordam was Valparaiso to FLL, and we said we'd never sail on her again.   Another time we had to eat our words!            

When she left the fleet, we'd been on her for 132 days over 11 cruises, mostly multiple b2bs.  We grew to love the ship in spite of her quirks and because of her itineraries and especially the crew, staff and officers.

We have seen her many times since she joined Thomson and  Marella and she still looked like a ship, not a floating apartment house as Captain Albert has said.

We have a lot of great memories of our time on Noordam III. 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser

4 minutes ago, Himself said:

Will she be beached in India?

Beached and broken up, I would think yes, Father, just like her older sister Nieuw Amsterdam III

Poignant memories of this Noordam because it was my Mother's final cruise.  A 7 day Inside Passage cruise from Vancouver in 1990; for both of us, it was our first visit to Alaska.  

CCL had recently purchased HAL and I boarded with crossed fingers that our cruise would still be the same HAL experience that we both had enjoyed before.  It was.  Our cruise was a very pleasant one!  

Both Noordam and her sister were built with a "new feature" at the time:  that double deck showroom/theater.  Lovely room, nice dance floor, but, if one did not sit along the rail on the upper deck, you couldn't see anything on the deck below.    

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing her sister ship has already been taken apart, but I am somewhat.  We were docked next to her in Malaga two years ago and she looked very good.  It appeared Marella was keeping her painted up very nicely and I asked two guests returning to the ship if they were enjoying their cruise on her and they were.

My first HAL cruise was 14 days on her.  I had an inside room mid ship which was ok.  Others near the stern had the shakes which I learned was an inherit problem with both of the N class.

Both of the N class sailed from Tampa years before Tampa had the other major cruise lines and had loyal Tampa Bay clientele. They were the last ships built for Holland America before Carnival bought HAL.  

My wife and I had our first cruise on the old Nieuw Amsterdam New Year 88-89, and loved it.

My first cruise was on her as well - 14 days Copenhagen to Rome including Paris, Tuscany, Provence. I was thrilled.  The main stage was a lovely show lounge like BBKings on Koningsdam, and the Crows Nest was my new favorite place on earth. I loved every part of the ship experience.  I was totally hooked on cruising and have been fortunate to have over 40 cruises all over the world since.  It was my first trip to Europe, first trip anywhere by myself and 9/11 happened 4 days in.  We were well taken care of and  like now the whole world changed.  But we'll be back.

Had one cruise on her and the engine shaft noise and vibration were so bad in our stateroom that we had to be moved so we could get some sleep.

Otherwise, it was a fine cruise....LOL

Good ship. Long life.

This ship, what I call the old Noordam, was our first cruise in Feb 1987.  A 7 day Caribbean.  I only remember St Thomas, St Martin and Bermuda as ports, but I'm sure my husband would remember the rest.  We rented a jeep in St Martin and I felt like my husband was a crazy man on those wrong sided roads, then our fellow table mates, and now our back seat passengers, told him that he was the best driver ever.  But it was the best cruise ever for sure!  Even though we were in an inside cabin in the bow, the most forward cabin you could have, it was fantastic.  We were hooked.

I'm going to have to look up some pictures.............

Posted (edited)

Sad when a ship has seen her last days.

Edited by MISTER 67

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Sailed on her in December of 2002. She was a nice ship but the main showroom was midship and the balcony which surrounded the whole showroom on all sides was useless unless you sat in the front row as it wasn't tiered.

I remember some rough seas in the straights of Florida on the way back to Ft. Lauderdale and a lady was walking down on a staircase and suffered a broken arm and a concussion. A helicopter was dispatched from Key West to transport her to a hospital in Miami, chopper landed on the rear pool which was covered with some wooden slats but it wasn't easy due to the high winds.

Edited by MISTER 67

9 hours ago, tamsno said:

The main stage was a lovely show lounge like BBKings on Koningsdam

You are right!  At least when I was on Nieuw Statendam, the sight lines to the floor of the Lounge were better than on the former Noordam.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Sounds like a similar event that took place on the same ship - Noordam III - in 1984 in Alaska. That helo - a 1973 Bell 212 "Twin-Two-Twelve" from private outfit Temsco Helicopters, Ketchikan, AK - hovered over Noordie's aft deck and, looking at the pic, it wasn't what I would call a real safe operation - watch that tail rotor Doc!😵 however, it turned out to be successful. Note the co-pilot's legs as he's standing on the helo's starboard side skids and the massive amount of Noordam's crew doing the ultimate stretch with their arms fully extended

36 years ago; different times!! You wouldn't see that type of an operation under those parameters nowadays, one would hope!   

HAL Medevac NODM III 1984 by Bell 212 from Temsco Helicopters in Alaska.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

36 years ago; different times!! You wouldn't see that type of an operation under those parameters nowadays, one would hope!   

Oh man!  That scares the heck out of me.  😲

59 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Oh man!  That scares the heck out of me.  😲

You and me both! So many things could have gone wrong on that one! 

Great footing though. Look at  that beautiful teak deck!

Sailed on her many times and she is still our favorite HAL vessel.  This is a picture of the Noordam  after a T bone collision with a freighter outside of New Orleans. 

Noordam3.jpg

6 hours ago, RedmondCruiser said:

Sailed on her many times and she is still our favorite HAL vessel.  This is a picture of the Noordam  after a T bone collision with a freighter outside of New Orleans. 

Noordam3.jpg

Do you remember when that was?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

November 8, 1993. I remember it well. There were 12 of us already in New Orleans the evening before. In the morning, we checked out of the hotel, drove down to the river and there was no Noordam, only a security guard that gave us a paper that said the ship was in a collision and the sailing was canceled. Eight of us drove back home to Houston; our other friends and family changed their flights and flew back home.

Rob

Edited by ryndam

30 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Ryndam seems to have plugged in the dates.  Was told by a crew member that the Noordam was blamed  and that a junior officer lost his job.  Sounds like they zigged when they should have zagged.  I saw a much closer picture back then and the damage was substantial, I believe that no one was hurt. 

8 hours ago, RedmondCruiser said:

This is a picture of the Noordam  after a T bone collision with a freighter outside of New Orleans. 

I never heard of such an episode.  I suppose the USCG investigated it.  Time for more Googling to learn what happened.