Jump to content

When do you think Azamara will resume Cruising?


When do you think Azamara will resume Cruising?   

148 members have voted

  1. 1. From ports in USA waters.

    • June 12 2020
      1
    • July 2020
      4
    • August 2020
      8
    • September 2020
      18
    • October 2020 to December 31, 2020
      53
    • In 2021
      53
    • Never
      11
  2. 2. From ports outside USA waters

    • June 12, 2020
      1
    • July 2020
      2
    • August 2020
      8
    • September 2020
      13
    • October 2020 to December 31, 2020
      38
    • In 2021
      74
    • Never
      12


Recommended Posts

Firstly, you seem to be assuming that Azamara have the independence to announce their own dates and that they can be different dates from other RCCL ‘brands’. I don’t believe that this is the case. Throughout this period every announcement made by Azamara has followed one by RCCL.

Secondly you’re assuming the cruise companies (any of them) are in a position to know when they will be able to sail again. I think it’s impossible to know that, especially with the sort of itineraries that Azamara has. There are so many factors to consider. When will each country to be visited allow cruise ships to dock, when will they allow flights and will these include having to go into quarantine for two weeks when you arrive. When will each country allow or advise its citizens to travel again (especially for the over 70s), when will hotels re-open (for pre and post cruise stays - we always travel at least one day before any cruise) etc etc.  Most travel companies are cancelling a month at a time until they are in a better position to be able to make on-going decisions, RCCL is no different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seabourn cancelled out to November which may (or may not) have made it easier for their guests. Viking seem to do two month blocks of cancelling and people seem to prefer that. 
As there is no way the ships can get recrewed quickly and safely at present I would not be in favour of another one month extension. It just would feel like a kick the can down the road. 
I also feel for the crew whom the cruise line has still not been able to get home. Their Facebook posts about how upsetting they are finding the unknown and their desperation after over 45 days at sea are distressing. 
I hope there is no more talk about restarts until the crew are sorted out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Firstly, you seem to be assuming that Azamara have the independence to announce their own dates and that they can be different dates from other RCCL ‘brands’. I don’t believe that this is the case. Throughout this period every announcement made by Azamara has followed one by RCCL.

Secondly you’re assuming the cruise companies (any of them) are in a position to know when they will be able to sail again. I think it’s impossible to know that, especially with the sort of itineraries that Azamara has. There are so many factors to consider. When will each country to be visited allow cruise ships to dock, when will they allow flights and will these include having to go into quarantine for two weeks when you arrive. When will each country allow or advise its citizens to travel again (especially for the over 70s), when will hotels re-open (for pre and post cruise stays - we always travel at least one day before any cruise) etc etc.  Most travel companies are cancelling a month at a time until they are in a better position to be able to make on-going decisions, RCCL is no different. 

Whilst I agree with your rationale here, it still remains that some other lines are beginning to provide more realistic dates.

I believe that I alluded to reasons why Azamara may not be in a position to make decisions, but that doesn't help those for whom the uncertainty continues. Nevertheless, thanks for expanding on the justification.

The fact still remains: only one person in nearly hundred believes the date of 11th June. That date, therefore, probably serves no useful purpose as far as guests are concerned.

And, how many will believe the next date that Azamara (or their puppeteers) announce?

It could be argued that the date is not decided on behalf of the guests, but because it suits RCCL.

 

Edited by blag
Punctuation!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess has written off 2020, relatives of mine have had a November cruise cancelled by them, it's probably only a matter of time before others have to do the same.

Edited by Bloodaxe
Link to post
Share on other sites

Travel insurance is going to be an ongoing factor as well, as long as there’s an issue with the emergency medical coverage/repatriation (Covid-19 related) that is/will be left out of individual travel insurance policies and from group plans. This will particularly have an impact for Azamara and their target demographics, esp. since their itineraries typically bring a majority of their passengers far from home.

 

Different insurance markets have different rules. In Canada, most travel insurance contracts’ fine print have allowed the providers to exclude new Covid-19 related medical claims, even for insurance bought for future travel before all of this started.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spain will now require holiday makers to self isolate for 14 days on arrival so that kicks a lot of trips well into touch - mind you given how far away Azamara vessels now are and how impossible it will be to crew them up, its a long time yet before voyages can start

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a link to the news on Spain's quarantine.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/05/12/spain-institutes-14-day-quarantine-for-all-arrivals/?omhide=true

and

https://www.thelocal.es/20200512/spain-to-introduce-two-week-quarantine-for-international-arrivals

 

Now just waiting for Azamara to cancel our June 20 cruise on Journey out of Barcelona.

Edited by the mice
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the mice said:

Here's a link to the news on Spain's quarantine.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/05/12/spain-institutes-14-day-quarantine-for-all-arrivals/?omhide=true

and

https://www.thelocal.es/20200512/spain-to-introduce-two-week-quarantine-for-international-arrivals

 

Now just waiting for Azamara to cancel our June 20 cruise on Journey out of Barcelona.

That certainly impacts the September 10 Southampton to Barcelona cruise, not that we'd be expecting to get out of Australia by then or our international borders will be open.  I also heard that Spain has closed their ports until Decmeber 30. Time to look at our 'lift and shift' options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the mice said:

Here's a link to the news on Spain's quarantine.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/05/12/spain-institutes-14-day-quarantine-for-all-arrivals/?omhide=true

and

https://www.thelocal.es/20200512/spain-to-introduce-two-week-quarantine-for-international-arrivals

 

Now just waiting for Azamara to cancel our June 20 cruise on Journey out of Barcelona.

 

The announcement doesn't say that your cruise can't take place:

"The require to quarantine will be in place from Friday and will last throughout the State of Emergency, which is currently set to continue until May 23rd, although the government has expressed its intention to extend yet again."

 

Not saying your cruise will happen, but this announcement only goes to May 23 at the moment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

The announcement doesn't say that your cruise can't take place:

"The require to quarantine will be in place from Friday and will last throughout the State of Emergency, which is currently set to continue until May 23rd, although the government has expressed its intention to extend yet again."

 

Not saying your cruise will happen, but this announcement only goes to May 23 at the moment.

 

Yes, it is true that the current state of alarm runs through May 23 but so far that has been extended 4 times.  And according to the official document, provided in Spanish, this order will "remain effective for the entire duration of the alarm state and its possible extensions. "  From other Spanish news sources I have read,  I think it is not unreasonable to assume that another extension will be forthcoming, especially regarding international travelers.   We should know more in 10 days.

 

Not to mention expecting people to quarantine for 14 days prior to a 7 day cruise... and a lot of us were on the previous cruise (or 2) which was cancelled, so we weren't flying into Barcelona.     I suppose we will find out sooner or (most probably) later.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

The announcement doesn't say that your cruise can't take place:

"The require to quarantine will be in place from Friday and will last throughout the State of Emergency, which is currently set to continue until May 23rd, although the government has expressed its intention to extend yet again."

 

Not saying your cruise will happen, but this announcement only goes to May 23 at the moment.

 

But there is a second royal decree relating to the need for all persons entering Spain to quarantine for 14 days.  That in part allows Spain to ease lockdown restrictions through from 23rd May.  It’s exactly the same in the England, lockdown being slowly eased but quarantine introduced so the mice is correct, with the new regulations their cruise is impossible 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

The announcement doesn't say that your cruise can't take place:

"The require to quarantine will be in place from Friday and will last throughout the State of Emergency, which is currently set to continue until May 23rd, although the government has expressed its intention to extend yet again."

 

Not saying your cruise will happen, but this announcement only goes to May 23 at the moment.

 

There is more to this than just a date announced by a singular government. The cruise won't happen. The ships are in the wrong place and the crew from all over the world, being in the process of getting home will need to get back to the ships. It's a hugely complex issue. 

 

So your assessment is too simple. It needs to be looked at in a much wider and practical way. There are no simple answers at the moment. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, the mice said:

Interesting that aside from Hurtigruten, it seems only the RCL ships are still scheduling mid-June sailings:   

I was browsing the Celebrity web site today, as I had notification that the ‘Dream Sale’ finishes tomorrow.

The first page to load didn’t have cruises for Sale until November sailings  and all were short 4/5 days Caribbean ones. 

I have read that short cruises would ensure that passengers don’t develop Covid -19 on board, as they will have been tested prior to embarkation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

I was browsing the Celebrity web site today, as I had notification that the ‘Dream Sale’ finishes tomorrow.

The first page to load didn’t have cruises for Sale until November sailings  and all were short 4/5 days Caribbean ones. 

I have read that short cruises would ensure that passengers don’t develop Covid -19 on board, as they will have been tested prior to embarkation.

Surely that means they can be on board for 4-5 days, show no symptoms whilst being infected/carriers and spread the virus during their time on the cruise and then get off, go home and develop symptoms having infected numerous people during the cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, norn iron said:

Surely that means they can be on board for 4-5 days, show no symptoms whilst being infected/carriers and spread the virus during their time on the cruise and then get off, go home and develop symptoms having infected numerous people during the cruise.

In that case the cruise lines (arguably) have plausible deniability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, norn iron said:

Surely that means they can be on board for 4-5 days, show no symptoms whilst being infected/carriers and spread the virus during their time on the cruise and then get off, go home and develop symptoms having infected numerous people during the cruise.

That was my thought, I saw someone argue short cruises were better, I thought it was the opposite, particularly if the carrier is shoreside at the embarkation port 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you could pick up the virus at any port, so may be less likely to show symptoms before the end of a short cruise. However when my son-in-law got it he thinks he was no more than 3 days between contact with the virus and showing symptoms (he developed it the day after returning home from 2 days at Cheltenham).

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I guess you could pick up the virus at any port, so may be less likely to show symptoms before the end of a short cruise. However when my son-in-law got it he thinks he was no more than 3 days between contact with the virus and showing symptoms (he developed it the day after returning home from 2 days at Cheltenham).

Indeed so short cruise, you pick it up at the port from a check in agent, infect a ship load of people, next cruise 4 days later check in agent infects another person who transfers to the next ship load - in theory this could happen a third time.  You can carry it for 14 days hence why contacts have to quarantine for 14 days.  If it was longer cruises in theory the agent would pass to fewer people.

Edited by uktog
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I was browsing the Celebrity web site today, as I had notification that the ‘Dream Sale’ finishes tomorrow.

The first page to load didn’t have cruises for Sale until November sailings  and all were short 4/5 days Caribbean ones. 

I have read that short cruises would ensure that passengers don’t develop Covid -19 on board, as they will have been tested prior to embarkation.

 

Curious if they will not allow b2b cruises? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, uktog said:

But there is a second royal decree relating to the need for all persons entering Spain to quarantine for 14 days.  That in part allows Spain to ease lockdown restrictions through from 23rd May.  It’s exactly the same in the England, lockdown being slowly eased but quarantine introduced so the mice is correct, with the new regulations their cruise is impossible 

 

11 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There is more to this than just a date announced by a singular government. The cruise won't happen. The ships are in the wrong place and the crew from all over the world, being in the process of getting home will need to get back to the ships. It's a hugely complex issue. 

 

So your assessment is too simple. It needs to be looked at in a much wider and practical way. There are no simple answers at the moment. 

 

Phil 

Would that you two worked in decision-making authority at Azamara!

Link to post
Share on other sites

EU issued a press release May 13 with guidelines on reopening.   It was reported in Travel & Leisure   https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/europe-reopen-borders-summer-tourist-season?

where this statement was made:  "Tourists from outside of Europe will not be able to enter the continent until at least June 15. And they may have to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival, depending on arrangements with their origin country."

 

I've been going through the links of the various publications in the press release, but I cannot find this statement.

   

This press release from the EU has also been reported in various other press around the world - NY Times, the Guardian, etc.  Decisions on re-opening borders are the responsibility of national governments and the EU guidelines are non-binding but they are suggesting that member states coordinate lifting restrictions in stages.

 

Hard to see cruises in Europe resuming on June 12 if the above date is to be believed.    So, can any of you across the pond shed more light on this?   TIA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best I can share (I’ve other Links that won’t share) is the UK Foreign Office Advice updated yesterday that includes details of the requirements to quarantine on arrival in Spain for 14 days 

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/coronavirus

The current rules apply until May 24th but the Spanish Prime Minister has indicated he intends to extend them again 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the mice said:

EU issued a press release May 13 with guidelines on reopening.   It was reported in Travel & Leisure   https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/europe-reopen-borders-summer-tourist-season?

where this statement was made:  "Tourists from outside of Europe will not be able to enter the continent until at least June 15. And they may have to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival, depending on arrangements with their origin country."

 

I've been going through the links of the various publications in the press release, but I cannot find this statement.

   

This press release from the EU has also been reported in various other press around the world - NY Times, the Guardian, etc.  Decisions on re-opening borders are the responsibility of national governments and the EU guidelines are non-binding but they are suggesting that member states coordinate lifting restrictions in stages.

 

Hard to see cruises in Europe resuming on June 12 if the above date is to be believed.    So, can any of you across the pond shed more light on this?   TIA.

What you say is correct, these are guidelines (including stuff about issue of insolvency-proof vouchers in lieu of refunds for cancelled travel) intended to create a cohesive strategy for the EU.

But, perhaps this link might help:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

 

Of course, IATA's info is focused on air travel. But their comprehensive list includes a country-by-country guide to restrictions on travel, and is regularly updated. 

Edited by blag
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...