Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
geckoaz

Face masks Onboard?? Yes or No --- merged thread

Recommended Posts

No! I will cancel my cruises if masks are required. I choose not to shop at businesses that require masks and I’m certainly not going to wear a mask while vacationing on a cruise. If a year from now masks are still a thing and cruises are requiring them I will just buy an RV and vacation that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As American citizens we have to follow specific rules and regulations. As a result, I will never encourage anyone to do otherwise. However it is your personal choice whether to wear a mask or not. It's also Carnival's choice to make the rules. If masks are required I will probably be wearing two of them. 

 

I will not allow my joy to be taken away; period.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I wear a mask every day now at work, and i will say if i have to wear a mask on my cruise set for Sept 6th ( if not canceled) i will not be going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:


Who is paying for these tests? It's a lot cheaper for the CDC to extend the ban on cruising.

Question: Do you think the cruise lines would be willing to shell out money to test every passenger prior to boarding?

 

Each passenger can pay for their own test.  I don't see the cost of a test as a big deal.  I would much rather have that then have to wear a mask all over the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

 

Each passenger can pay for their own test.  I don't see the cost of a test as a big deal.  I would much rather have that then have to wear a mask all over the ship.

I'm with you on that. An alternative to paying for it immediately, is to charge it to you S&S card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

 

Each passenger can pay for their own test.  I don't see the cost of a test as a big deal.  I would much rather have that then have to wear a mask all over the ship.

 

I don't see that happening. And, neither you nor I know what the cost of said test would be anyway. I've seen some specialty labs charge a couple hundred dollars for an Covid antigen test. And anything done medically onboard (and let's assume pre-boarding screening as well) is often times considerably higher. So, a family of 4 should be willing to fork out > $800 just to get onboard a cruise they already paid for?

And, sure, we can play hypotheticals all we want, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Julienatul said:

They have tests that can detect it in 45 minutes already. I am a health care worker and was tested a few weeks ago. Results in 1 hour.

 

 

you can not get a vaccine unless you are already sick. My DIL is a social worker at a nursing home with 7 positive cases, she can NOT get a test. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Healthy people can not walk into a facility and request a vaccine because they want one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coevan said:

 

 

you can not get a vaccine unless you are already sick. My DIL is a social worker at a nursing home with 7 positive cases, she can NOT get a test. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Healthy people can not walk into a facility and request a vaccine because they want one

A vaccine has not been developed for widespread use yet. I think you are referring to a test. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

 

My daughter has figure skated with hers on each day since the rink reopened last week. She's been perfectly fine.

How old is she? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Covean I certainly respect and admire your DIL's work. This vaccine rationale makes no sense. Why do we get Flu vaccines when we don't have the Flu? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coevan said:

 

 

you can not get a vaccine unless you are already sick. My DIL is a social worker at a nursing home with 7 positive cases, she can NOT get a test. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Healthy people can not walk into a facility and request a vaccine because they want one

 

Do you mean tests (not vaccine)? It is actually very possible to get a test even if you're not sick, depending on where you live. Our area (DC Metro area, so we're considered a "hot spot") has been having free mass drive-thru testing events where anyone can show up and get a test, whether they are sick or not. Last week an event was held near us that tested over 1,800 people in a few hours, most with no symptoms. They are doing another free event next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

 

Do you mean tests (not vaccine)? It is actually very possible to get a test even if you're not sick, depending on where you live. Our area (DC Metro area, so we're considered a "hot spot") has been having free mass drive-thru testing events where anyone can show up and get a test, whether they are sick or not. Last week an event was held near us that tested over 1,800 people in a few hours, most with no symptoms. They are doing another free event next week.


Same in our state and I don't even live in a hot spot.  They have had free mass drive-thru testing.  Each state is different in how they handle testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I said I misspoke but for some reason it was deleted. Yes, I conflated testing for vaccines, since there are no and will be no vaccines in the foreseeable future, guess it's a moot point. As to testing, it is not available to healthy individuals, which was my point. Sorry for the confusion, my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, coevan said:

 As to testing, it is not available to healthy individuals, which was my point. Sorry for the confusion, my bad

 

As I mentioned it actually is available to healthy people depending on where they live. Our local health department is conducting free mass drive-thru testing events for anyone who wants one and you don't have to have any symptoms at all.

 

Here's a quote from the article linked below:

"No ID is required to get tested, and you do not need to show symptoms of COVID-19, have an appointment or a doctor’s note." 

https://wtop.com/arlington/2020/05/arlington-county-holds-free-covid-19-testing-tuesday/

Edited by SRQbeachgirl
Added news link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

 

As I mentioned it actually is available to healthy people depending on where they live. Our local health department is conducting free mass drive-thru testing events for anyone who wants one and you don't have to have any symptoms at all.

 

Here's a quote from the article linked below:

"No ID is required to get tested, and you do not need to show symptoms of COVID-19, have an appointment or a doctor’s note." 

https://wtop.com/arlington/2020/05/arlington-county-holds-free-covid-19-testing-tuesday/

Wow! That's the first I've heard of that. I wish we had that in Texas! I wonder if any other states do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a face mask is required on my cruise, there are 4 of us cancelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

 

My daughter has figure skated with hers on each day since the rink reopened last week. She's been perfectly fine.

Don't mean to be a wise guy but how old is you daughter, it is probably easier to exercise with a mask  when you're younger than when you're older like me. Trust me!!!

Edited by shipbound2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gran1 said:

If a face mask is required on my cruise, there are 4 of us cancelling.


According to this forum, it appears there are going to be a lot of cancellations when the CDC likely makes wearing masks mandatory to some degree when cruise lines resume operations. The CDC has already placed way too much blame on the cruise lines for this pandemic in my opinion. Based on this, I don’t see a situation where the CDC allows cruises to resume later this year without making masks mandatory, assuming cruses resume in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ask me, I would say that I totally disagree. I am on board to relax and not to be bothered with all those testings, masks being mandatory on board and etc. I want to relax and escape from the real world and not take it with me on board the ship cruising away from it. Maybe its just me but this is how I feel when I plan to cruise 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

 

As I mentioned it actually is available to healthy people depending on where they live. Our local health department is conducting free mass drive-thru testing events for anyone who wants one and you don't have to have any symptoms at all.

 

Here's a quote from the article linked below:

"No ID is required to get tested, and you do not need to show symptoms of COVID-19, have an appointment or a doctor’s note." 

https://wtop.com/arlington/2020/05/arlington-county-holds-free-covid-19-testing-tuesday/


Same in my state.  It is up to each state to determine their own requirements for testing.  My state is on top of it.
 

"Tennessee Governor Bill Lee announced free COVID-19 testing will be available for any Tennessean, regardless of traditional symptoms, as the Unified-Command Group ramps up an aggressive effort to expand testing capacity across the state.

Rapid improvements to the testing apparatus allowed the Unified-Command Group, comprised of the Tennessee Department of Health 

More than 23,000 Tennesseans received a free COVID-19 test at 67 drive-through sites over expanded testing events across the state during the month of April, as part of Unified-Command Group’s efforts to reduce barriers and widen access to testing for all Tennesseans regardless of symptoms."

Edited by TNcruising02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am person who goes cruising maybe once every 3-4 years. it is an escape from the real world.  I took my family last winter break (feels like a lifetime ago) as a last trip before my son goes to college.  this was a break from real wold for a week. my days consisted mostly of lying in a chair- taking in the sun , reading a book and listening to music. not sure I  would cruise now if masks were required.  as a school teacher, vacations are precious and cruises are a large investment.  I will cruise again, but will wait just a bit longer before I hop on one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they sail on August 2nd we will sail, masks or no masks required. Ive already sent my daughters links to some companies making fashionable masks and one if them passed on to the friend that is coming with us. As FR in the Boston area its been a long few months, not going to let a mask make or break a trip.. It may be odd but we'll figure it out. A day on the ship is better than a day at home or work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shipbound2 said:

Don't mean to be a wise guy but how old is you daughter, it is probably easier to exercise with a mask  when you're younger than when you're older like me. Trust me!!!

I asked that earlier and have not gotten a response.   Age and physical condition makes a huge difference.  My 16 yo granddaughter can run circles around me even though I am a very fit and active person.  Also, being on a cool ice skating rink is a lot different than being out in the hot, humid outdoors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I asked that earlier and have not gotten a response.   Age and physical condition makes a huge difference.  My 16 yo granddaughter can run circles around me even though I am a very fit and active person.  Also, being on a cool ice skating rink is a lot different than being out in the hot, humid outdoors.

When my gym opens up in Connecticut(june 20) we may be required to wear masks if we can't maintain 6 feet apart and there may be a member limit this makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, shipbound2 said:

When my gym opens up in Connecticut(june 20) we may be required to wear masks if we can't maintain 6 feet apart and there may be a member limit this makes sense.

Gyms in RI are opening on June 1st and they are requiring masks, if not able to maintain 6 feet. I can't imagine that is going to be easy.

Edited by lovetocruise79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...