Travel agent's big mistakes

We used an agent to book 3 cabins. Our agent canceled for refund instead of getting FCC on one of the cabins so that resulted in a loss of 25% FCC. She also charged the wrong credit card for our booking and says Royal won't swap the payment because its been closed and FCC issued (The booking was red lined as she called it). So I'm supposed to reimburse the person who got charged.  That doesn't seem right to me. The person who got charged didn't authorize it. Even though I know the person who got charged, what if it was a stranger? They could technically chargeback it. If I later ask for a cash refund because travel was not possible, the refund goes to the person who got charged. What do you think?

8 minutes ago, LloydChristmas said:

We used an agent to book 3 cabins. Our agent canceled for refund instead of getting FCC on one of the cabins so that resulted in a loss of 25% FCC. She also charged the wrong credit card for our booking and says Royal won't swap the payment because its been closed and FCC issued (The booking was red lined as she called it). So I'm supposed to reimburse the person who got charged.  That doesn't seem right to me. The person who got charged didn't authorize it. Even though I know the person who got charged, what if it was a stranger? They could technically chargeback it. If I later ask for a cash refund because travel was not possible, the refund goes to the person who got charged. What do you think?

Better off with total refund. Fcc wont do anything except pay back other cruisers. Many other ways to save much more money on cruising then a measely 25%.... I would want money in hand. There isnt anyone here who can say they wont go bankrupt. Theres no way to know when they sail again. This will be one of or the last industry to get back to work. The whole cruise is people on top of each other and theres really no way to change that. Your locked on a ship.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LloydChristmas said:

Yes, the refund goes back to the card used for the original payment.

So - you didn't pay for the cabins, somebody else did?  With a card that they didn't authorise?  How can that be?  Somebody must have given RC the card number? 

Surely, the problem is now solved if the card holder of the card that was used for the unauthorised payment is getting their money back?

I also think that the travel agent was wise to ask for a refund.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LloydChristmas said:

Lloyd Christmas...what are you doing to us?  Where's Harry

Edited by KelSny1011
Edit to add

9 minutes ago, livylotte said:

Yes, the refund goes back to the card used for the original payment.

So - you didn't pay for the cabins, somebody else did?  With a card that they didn't authorise?  How can that be?  Somebody must have given RC the card number? 

Surely, the problem is now solved if the card holder of the card that was used for the unauthorised payment is getting their money back?

I also think that the travel agent was wise to ask for a refund.

I did pay for the deposit so all was normal until now. The final payment was put on the other person's card. They are not getting the money back because we opted for the FCC option. Yes, they did give them the credit card because they booked with the same agent. I was saying they didn't authorize paying for MY cabin and Royal is like "oh well". I was looking for the port fees refund after RCL issued FCCs when I discovered the mistake.

To clarify, the travel agent asked for a refund not on my cabin, but one of the other person's cabins they wanted to keep for FCC.

1 minute ago, LloydChristmas said:

I did pay for the deposit so all was normal until now. The final payment was put on the other person's card. They are not getting the money back because we opted for the FCC option. Yes, they did give them the credit card because they booked with the same agent. I was saying they didn't authorize paying for MY cabin and Royal is like "oh well". I was looking for the port fees refund after RCL issued FCCs when I discovered the mistake.

To clarify, the travel agent asked for a refund not on my cabin, but one of the other person's cabins they wanted to keep for FCC.

While a PITA you can juggle the money around between your group.  Go after the TA for the 25% extra that you are losing out on.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, LloydChristmas said:

Are you saying out of the three cabins, two cabins received FCC and one cabin was issued a refund? How did the travel agent use the wrong card? How did the TA have the card number in the first place?  Did you receive a FCC and are now worried you will have to pay the person whose card was charged in error? So many questions and so few answers here 🤪Best bet is to call Royal and ask them directly, IMHO. 

23 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Are you saying out of the three cabins, two cabins received FCC and one cabin was issued a refund? How did the travel agent use the wrong card? How did the TA have the card number in the first place?  Did you receive a FCC and are now worried you will have to pay the person whose card was charged in error? So many questions and so few answers here 🤪Best bet is to call Royal and ask them directly, IMHO. 

The other person booked 2 cabins. They only wanted a refund on 1 of them. The travel agent refunded both so one cabin lost the FCC. The instructions were in writing by email so it wasn't a verbal miscommunication.

The other person booked with the TA so that's how the TA has the card number. I assume she was tired and used to wrong number when paying as it was final payment day for both of us.

I did receive FCC and it appears I have to pay the other person myself whose card was charged in error. But seems wrong.

I did call Royal before posting. All they would say after every question was "You have to contact your TA".

If Royal would just charge me the final payment and give the other person their money back, it would be resolved instead of having money owed between me and the other person. And if I cancel the FCC later, they would owe me money back.

Edited by LloydChristmas

21 minutes ago, LloydChristmas said:

The other person booked 2 cabins. They only wanted a refund on 1 of them. The travel agent refunded both so one cabin lost the FCC. The instructions were in writing by email so it wasn't a verbal miscommunication.

The other person booked with the TA so that's how the TA has the card number. I assume she was tired and used to wrong number when paying as it was final payment day for both of us.

I did receive FCC and it appears I have to pay the other person myself whose card was charged in error. But seems wrong.

I did call Royal before posting. All they would say after every question was "You have to contact your TA".

If Royal would just charge me the final payment and give the other person their money back, it would be resolved instead of having money owed between me and the other person. And if I cancel the FCC later, they would owe me money back.

Okay, I get it now.  Yes, it does seem like an easier solution if Royal would do it, however, if your arrangements and payment were with a TA, Royal won't deal with you directly.  I've had this problem before -- the solution is to deal with the TA directly. 

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Who's on first ?

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe it was the FCC. Wait, maybe it was the refund. 

Really guys?  Was it so hard to pry open the question?  After some dissection, most of us understood.  Let's play nice. 

• Like 1

This does not surprise me. The way they handle refunds is ridiculous. Example - Back in January we changed from a Brilliance cruise for April that had Coco Stop to the sailing before that did not. On the Coco Stop we had paid for Coco Beach club (actually I paid for both of us $39.99 each) and so that was refunded back to my card when it was changed. Well then we cancelled the April sailing in March, we just got the refunds... We were supposed to get $76.12 each, but instead we each got $36.13 to the cards that paid the taxes, then I got another 39.99 x 2, to the card that I had paid for the Coco beach club back in January. It took so much research for them to figure out what they did... and then I had to pay $39.99 to the other party, because their taxes were not refunded properly.

I don't understand, in this age of computers, that they can have such a screwed up system... and cannot figure out where money came from, so that it can be refunded appropriately. 

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

After reading this thread, I'm convinced this was not a mistake by the TA or Royal.  I think the TA and Royal intentionally did this to irritate Lloyd because neither want future bookings from him.

Now that makes sense.