Jump to content

NCL is no longer offering refunds for cancelled cruises


Recommended Posts

Thanks for the responses. 
I would point out that when I called NCL it was NOT my intent to ask for a refund. I wanted to book two cruises using my FCC and two cruise next certificates. Both of the NCL reps told me I cannot transfer the kids FCC to my account (which I still think is a bunch of BS). Since the kids will be in school and cannot go on the 2 cruises I was interested in, I asked “Is my only option to request a refund for their portion?”

Both reps replied “You can NOT get a refund at this time. You will have to wait until July and then refunds may be available”. They did NOT say “You can request a refund beginning May Whatever and it will take 90 days.” 
Bottom line, in my opinion, this was a complete failure in customer service. The supervisor especially was cold, detached and could care less about anything I said. And when I said I was disappointed in her lack of understanding she yelled at me. As a CEO of a small business it is surprising to me their lack of customer service skills.

I love NCL. I want to continue sailing with them. But I cannot tolerate this kind of service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it helps, any cash refund should automatically go back to the original form of payment.  Ryanair, a UK budget airline have just announced that any refunds on their cancelled flights will take SIX months to process!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Homestyle said:

If it helps, any cash refund should automatically go back to the original form of payment.  Ryanair, a UK budget airline have just announced that any refunds on their cancelled flights will take SIX months to process!

 

I'm still waiting for my refund from Laker Airways.  That was in 1982 but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

 

Thanks, Sir Freddie!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Homestyle said:

If it helps, any cash refund should automatically go back to the original form of payment.  Ryanair, a UK budget airline have just announced that any refunds on their cancelled flights will take SIX months to process!

Actually, it will not. Because, if paid by a credit card - consumers can simply do a chargeback. This will cost the airline even more - as RyanAir's  bank will add a fee for every chargeback they receive - AND Ryanair are jeopordising their UK aviation operating licenses. If they do not adhere to UK consumer protection legislation - then this brings into question whether they are 'fit and proper' and likely to adhere to health and safety legislation, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Homestyle said:

If it helps, any cash refund should automatically go back to the original form of payment.  Ryanair, a UK budget airline have just announced that any refunds on their cancelled flights will take SIX months to process!

On top of which - their chief executive is a known Irish crook - so, they won't be able to fly any more planes in in or out of the UK whether they like it or not!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

@BenDover

 

Why can't you rebook the same or similar cruise for the same period in 2021 or 2022 so your grandkids can come with you and their FCC can be applied to the booking?

 

 

Their parents were booked on the same cruise. They are all scared about the virus and don’t want to go cruising anytime soon 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BenDover said:

I will try to keep this short and as factual as possible without editorial:

I booked a cruise for me and my two grandsons ages 13 and 11. The cruise was scheduled for May 22.

I paid the entire amount on my credit card. NCL cancelled the cruise and sent me a notification that I could receive FCCs or a refund.

Took about a week for FCC to post. Was expecting a credit of $2,024.56 ($1,619.65, the amount I paid, and $323.9, 25% offer). The credit that showed up on my page was $767.06.

Called NCL with intent to book an Alaska cruise for myself (no grandsons) for next May using the $2,024.56. But first we needed to figure out the difference in the FCC. I was told that I am only entitled to my portion of the cruise fare. The rest of the credits belong to my grandsons and I can't use them.

What?! "Can those credit be transferred to me since I'm the one who paid for the Cruise" Nope!!

"So you gave the credits I paid for to two minor children who did not pay a penny" Yep!

"They can't go because they will be in school. What are my options" Nothing at this time!

"Are you telling me that my only option is to create a log-in for each of them and to request a refund" WE ARE NOT OFFERING REFUNDS AT THIS TIME!!

"I need to speak to a supervisor".

Supervisor comes on. Is totally unconcerned, unsympathetic, detached and cold.

I keep calm. Tell her how much I love NCL Cruises. Explain I am trying to support them by booking a future cruise.

No doing. No full FCC. No refund.

Tell her I am disappointed in how she is handling the situation and she starts YELLING AT ME!

By the way the letter that they emailed about the cancellation has a hyperlink to request a refund. That link no longer works.

Also the website no longer has a link to the refund request it had a few days ago.

I had no choice but to dispute the charges with my credit card company.

I really loved the NCL cruises I have been on and I want to support them. But the future does not look good.

So you can try a dispute with the credit card company. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Plus I think they get charged a fee win or lose from what I understand. 
 

if that don’t work then use the fcc to go on another cruise. But when you go, go with the attitude of not spending one cent on the ship. Don’t even give them a credit card when checking in. Tip in cash. Not one red cent should Go to the company.  Again no cc to them at check in So they can’t add fees or anything.  You will still enjoy the food and the shows and the ports and have a wonderful time. Yes you can do it. Nothing wrong with doing it. We have done it  many times and had a great time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

So you can try a dispute with the credit card company. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Plus I think they get charged a fee win or lose from what I understand. 
 

if that don’t work then use the fcc to go on another cruise. But when you go, go with the attitude of not spending one cent on the ship. Don’t even give them a credit card when checking in. Tip in cash. Not one red cent should Go to the company.  Again no cc to them at check in So they can’t add fees or anything.  You will still enjoy the food and the shows and the ports and have a wonderful time. Yes you can do it. Nothing wrong with doing it. We have done it  many times and had a great time!

Trust me - I know how to play their nickel & dime game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 8:39 PM, BenDover said:

Neither person told me that refunds would be available beginning May 15. In fact both of them stated no refunds until “at least July”.

The form to request a refund will be available in May. The refund itself is not until “at least July”. Just make sure you fill out that online form during the dates specified.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BenDover said:

Their parents were booked on the same cruise. They are all scared about the virus and don’t want to go cruising anytime soon 🤷‍♂️

this is what I have been saying !..  NCL VP Katty Byrd can easily change all this.. Top of mimd for her is stock holders and profit not the customer..  This customer wants to do business with them and they are even making that difficult ... Take care of your customers and your business will be way better off at the end of all this

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Theboss17 said:

this is what I have been saying !..  NCL VP Katty Byrd can easily change all this.. Top of mimd for her is stock holders and profit not the customer..  This customer wants to do business with them and they are even making that difficult ... Take care of your customers and your business will be way better off at the end of all this

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I received two emails for my cancelled 5/14 cruise.  The first was an attached pdf and had one had one sentence about requesting a refund.  The second one had absolutely no mention whatsoever about the option for a refund and explaining how my awesome FCC Could be used.  I feel that is something that is not just borderline it crosses the line on sales practices - I get the fact they want to highlight the option they want but it is wrong.  I have no doubt it is actually more than likely illegal but I also get that at this point the rule book is out the window.

 

I am more concerned at the audacious manner this tragedy is being manipulated to their benefit and how many people who will not realize there is an option for a refund (the option of one week also cannot be legal either but that is another matter)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email showing the total amount of the refund on March 5.  they returned all the money to me on April 1 then on April 23 they took back 25% of the money they had given me on April 1.  an email confirmation showing a total refund is worth nothing.  They are desperate for cash and don’t even follow their own guidelines

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ronheg said:

I got an email showing the total amount of the refund on March 5.  they returned all the money to me on April 1 then on April 23 they took back 25% of the money they had given me on April 1.  an email confirmation showing a total refund is worth nothing.  They are desperate for cash and don’t even follow their own guidelines

You canceled before the peace of mind right ?    

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Theboss17 said:

this is what I have been saying !..  NCL VP Katty Byrd can easily change all this..  Take care of your customers and your business will be way better off at the end of all this

It has always amazed me how businesses seem to ignore their assets (customers) and focus on the ownership and employees (liabilities).  A cruise line without loyal passengers (assets) can drive a company to insolvency.  It baffles me why any company would want to pi>> off many of their loyal customers.  As a CC member, I believe we are a vocal minority of these loyal customers.   Yes, maintaining liquidity is necessary to remain solvent.  This is a crisis that should require the best of customer service to survive.  I hope that this will work out and we can all come out on the other side safe and satisfied.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ronheg said:

I got an email showing the total amount of the refund on March 5.  they returned all the money to me on April 1 then on April 23 they took back 25% of the money they had given me on April 1.  an email confirmation showing a total refund is worth nothing.  They are desperate for cash and don’t even follow their own guidelines

There is something I'm not understanding although it's probably crystal clear. If NCL returned all your money to you on 4/1, then took back 25% on 4/23, how could they ever access your credit card account without your permission to withdraw funds? Maybe I'm wrong but that doesn't even seem legal....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

It has always amazed me how businesses seem to ignore their assets (customers) and focus on the ownership and employees (liabilities).  A cruise line without loyal passengers (assets) can drive a company to insolvency.  It baffles me why any company would want to pi>> off many of their loyal customers.  As a CC member, I believe we are a vocal minority of these loyal customers.   Yes, maintaining liquidity is necessary to remain solvent.  This is a crisis that should require the best of customer service to survive.  I hope that this will work out and we can all come out on the other side safe and satisfied.  

Could not have said it better myself..... thank you zonacruiser25!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right you are.

 

I'll never trust NCL again with my money and I am sure there are thousands that feel the same way.

 

NCL has no right to delay the refund of our monies for 90 days.  In the end, NCL will go bankrupt before the 90 days pass and we will never see our refunds.

 

That is why everyone should dispute the charge with their credit card companies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...