Jump to content

Need Help Picking an Oasis Stateroom


Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

We are a family of three from Annapolis, MD. We had originally chosen June 27-July 4 as our vacation week, but the resort we planned for will be closed until July 1, so we needed to figure something out. I went onto Royal's website and I am seeing some amazing Oasis OTS deals, but despite the boring Canaveral-CocoCay-Nassau itinerary, considering we've never cruised on an Oasis-class ship, we think it will be a lot of fun. Further, the seas will be calm in June/July (that's usually our big fear when it comes to cruising from NYC or Baltimore), and after all of this craziness, a vacation might be nice. The best part of all is it's easily cancellable should the situation not change, and there's a good chance we land a half-empty ship. Sounds like a win-win to us, and if it's cancelled, we just save the money as credit and book a vacation once all of this is officially over. Not having to worry about flights is nice too.

 

My question is related to the balconies. Where is the best location for an Oceanview balcony on an Oasis class ship, forward, midship or aft? Any decks to avoid? We typically like to be sandwiched in between two passenger decks, and we don't mind using stairs to get around (although on a large ship like this, we might be more inclined to the elevators). Further, what are the large balcony staterooms? Are those worth it? It's about $10 more per person for 30 extra feet of balcony, which could be nice, especially if the rooms are in a more favorable location onboard. 

 

Also, with the three of us, will we get crammed? Typically when we bring our son, he brings a friend or we bring another family member, so will it get cramped with 3 people? We have cruised on Carnival a lot and there are many Carnival rooms have are double the size that cost the same, so we have scammed those over the years. Any steals on the Oasis?

 

Thank you in advance for any help y'all can provide!

 

(Disclaimer: I've seen some "I don't think it's responsible to be booking a cruise" comments when people have suggested creating new bookings. While I understand the situation, as both my husband and myself work in the medical field, I also understand we are grown adults and can make our own decisions. If the state and international borders are open, and it is legally permitted, we would like to travel. Further, in the event that we feel uncomfortable, we can cancel 48 hours before, and in the event that the situation has not recovered (especially in the NY/NJ/CT area), our cruise will be cancelled for us. We are booking this simply because we would like a vacation in the event that travel is permitted in two months, as we can't get this week back after taking it off. After coming back to Royal after many years off, we had an amazing cruise on the Explorer in January 2020, and we would love to cruise RCI again, so we wouldn't even mind having money tied up with RCI to book a cruise at another date in 2021. Perhaps it would be a nice incentive, a light at the end of the tunnel. So for us, this makes sense. I can't stop you from telling us not to cruise, but please remember that that's not what this board was created for. Thank you!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We really liked deck 8 in front of Central Park.  Easy access to the aft elevators for dinner through Central Park and quiet.  Nice area to walk through in the dark.  You might want to pick something later in the summer to give things a chance to open.  We are in a state that is theoretically opening up but the counties just slammed things back down again.  It will take the cruise lines a month after things open internationally to get the ships manned.  Oasis is a good ship/destination so plenty to do on her.  Frankly all the Oasis-class ships have limited ports.  We still haven't made it to Coco Cay, between hurricanes and cancellations but it appears to be a great beach stop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LeeW said:

We really liked deck 8 in front of Central Park.  Easy access to the aft elevators for dinner through Central Park and quiet.  Nice area to walk through in the dark.  You might want to pick something later in the summer to give things a chance to open.  We are in a state that is theoretically opening up but the counties just slammed things back down again.  It will take the cruise lines a month after things open internationally to get the ships manned.  Oasis is a good ship/destination so plenty to do on her.  Frankly all the Oasis-class ships have limited ports.  We still haven't made it to Coco Cay, between hurricanes and cancellations but it appears to be a great beach stop.

 

We probably will, my husband's birthday is late August so we have been floating the idea of maybe taking a longer trip over his birthday in August - if we are allowed. Which would can this entire June plan. I guess I just wanted to know just in case, or, in the event that the prices stay low or we get another chance to cruise Oasis, we know what to do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

Hello,

 

We are a family of three from Annapolis, MD. We had originally chosen June 27-July 4 as our vacation week, but the resort we planned for will be closed until July 1, so we needed to figure something out. I went onto Royal's website and I am seeing some amazing Oasis OTS deals, but despite the boring Canaveral-CocoCay-Nassau itinerary, considering we've never cruised on an Oasis-class ship, we think it will be a lot of fun. Further, the seas will be calm in June/July (that's usually our big fear when it comes to cruising from NYC or Baltimore), and after all of this craziness, a vacation might be nice. The best part of all is it's easily cancellable should the situation not change, and there's a good chance we land a half-empty ship. Sounds like a win-win to us, and if it's cancelled, we just save the money as credit and book a vacation once all of this is officially over. Not having to worry about flights is nice too.

 

My question is related to the balconies. Where is the best location for an Oceanview balcony on an Oasis class ship, forward, midship or aft? Any decks to avoid? We typically like to be sandwiched in between two passenger decks, and we don't mind using stairs to get around (although on a large ship like this, we might be more inclined to the elevators). Further, what are the large balcony staterooms? Are those worth it? It's about $10 more per person for 30 extra feet of balcony, which could be nice, especially if the rooms are in a more favorable location onboard. 

 

Also, with the three of us, will we get crammed? Typically when we bring our son, he brings a friend or we bring another family member, so will it get cramped with 3 people? We have cruised on Carnival a lot and there are many Carnival rooms have are double the size that cost the same, so we have scammed those over the years. Any steals on the Oasis?

 

Thank you in advance for any help y'all can provide!

 

(Disclaimer: I've seen some "I don't think it's responsible to be booking a cruise" comments when people have suggested creating new bookings. While I understand the situation, as both my husband and myself work in the medical field, I also understand we are grown adults and can make our own decisions. If the state and international borders are open, and it is legally permitted, we would like to travel. Further, in the event that we feel uncomfortable, we can cancel 48 hours before, and in the event that the situation has not recovered (especially in the NY/NJ/CT area), our cruise will be cancelled for us. We are booking this simply because we would like a vacation in the event that travel is permitted in two months, as we can't get this week back after taking it off. After coming back to Royal after many years off, we had an amazing cruise on the Explorer in January 2020, and we would love to cruise RCI again, so we wouldn't even mind having money tied up with RCI to book a cruise at another date in 2021. Perhaps it would be a nice incentive, a light at the end of the tunnel. So for us, this makes sense. I can't stop you from telling us not to cruise, but please remember that that's not what this board was created for. Thank you!)

Personally I prefer mid-forward on deck 8. Oasis is huge and I like being able to cut across Central Park instead of long hallways to get to and from my cabin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 nights on Oasis Class, all but 7 have been deck 12 forward hump.  Deck 12 forward has about 100 fewer cabins. the extra balcony space might be appreciated with 3 in the cabin. As others have said avoid  deck 14.  If you are considering a Central Park Balcony these cabins have a double wide balcony, some have two extra loungers . 

  • 10229
  • 10629
  • 11229
  • 11629
  • 12229
  • 12629
  •  happy cruising 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a long walk to the aft. For an ocean view balcony, I would not go more than about 5 cabins past the aft elevators. We like to be a little higher since the top of the lifeboats can be visible when you look out and down so I’ll avoid deck 6&7 .  Deck 8-10 are good choices. 
 

mac_tlc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lovelife said:

We always try to get deck 8 midship with the large balcony or junior suite on 8.  Don't drive to New York City though -- Oasis will be in New Jersey. 😉

 

In 2020🤔😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

48 nights on Oasis Class, all but 7 have been deck 12 forward hump.  Deck 12 forward has about 100 fewer cabins. the extra balcony space might be appreciated with 3 in the cabin. As others have said avoid  deck 14.  If you are considering a Central Park Balcony these cabins have a double wide balcony, some have two extra loungers . 

  • 10229
  • 10629
  • 11229
  • 11629
  • 12229
  • 12629
  •  happy cruising 

 

You can always ask nicely 💰💰 for a lounger or two. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

In 2020🤔😱

 

Yes, I believe she was referring to June or July, 2020.  As of now, Oasis is also scheduled to be in NJ June to October in 2021.  Yay, we can drive there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...