Cruise Critic Community
rotjeknor

Rotterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam going to SA , why ?

I noticed on MarineTraffic that the Rotterdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam are headed for South Africa and the Veendam set course for Gibraltar. 
Does anybody know why ? All three ships were ( hopefully are) due for European cruises. So at least the Veendam is going in the right direction but the others aren’t. As far as I am concerned they are welcome in their homeport of Rotterdam . They can join the World Dream that has been berthed  in port since a drydock in Rotterdam four weeks ago. Plenty of space at an unused container terminal. 

They probably have spa people on board from S.Africa, then gas up and on the way to Indonesia and Philippines..

36 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

I noticed on MarineTraffic that the Rotterdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam are headed for South Africa and the Veendam set course for Gibraltar. 
Does anybody know why ? All three ships were ( hopefully are) due for European cruises. So at least the Veendam is going in the right direction but the others aren’t. As far as I am concerned they are welcome in their homeport of Rotterdam . They can join the World Dream that has been berthed  in port since a drydock in Rotterdam four weeks ago. Plenty of space at an unused container terminal. 

As the meneer from Den Haag mentioned, Nieuw A, Rotterdam, and you can add Volendam and Zuiderdam to that duo, are enroute South Africa to, like AMsterdam did a couple of weeks ago, repat South African crew (Steiner/Spa, Art folks and some others) there. Also like Amsterdam is attempting to accomplish as we speak, the four ships will continue on to Indonesia and the Philippines to repat non-essential crew there.

Besides Veendam (enroute Gibraltar), Nieuw Statendam and Zaandam are enroute Rotjeknor/Rotterdam to repat non-essential European crew

I am a bit mystified.  It seems to me it would have been more effective to move all the South Africans to one ship and send the others through the Suez Canal.  But what do I know.

Roy

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I am a bit mystified.  It seems to me it would have been more effective to move all the South Africans to one ship and send the others through the Suez Canal.  But what do I know.

Roy

Watch what happens to those ships after their last call to repat crew............

Roy, I suspect that the substantial cost of the Suez canal fees is more than the current low cost of the extra fuel via the Cape. The extra days don't matter right now either.

Bill

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

As the meneer from Den Haag mentioned, Nieuw A, Rotterdam, and you can add Volendam and Zuiderdam to that duo, are enroute South Africa to, like AMsterdam did a couple of weeks ago, repat South African crew (Steiner/Spa, Art folks and some others) there. Also like Amsterdam is attempting to accomplish as we speak, the four ships will continue on to Indonesia and the Philippines to repat non-essential crew there.

Besides Veendam (enroute Gibraltar), Nieuw Statendam and Zaandam are enroute Rotjeknor/Rotterdam to repat non-essential European crew

Great , thanks!

35 minutes ago, Two4Sea said:

Roy, I suspect that the substantial cost of the Suez canal fees is more than the current low cost of the extra fuel via the Cape. The extra days don't matter right now either.

Bill

Could around the Cape also be safer from pirate activity?

I thought that after seeing them in Port Everglades this week, NS, NA, RT and ZA would be leaving.  Sorry to see them go, and sorry to see it looks less likely there will be any Canada/New England or Europe season.  I was even hoping one ship would stay in Florida for Caribbean itineraries.

Here in Florida, it looks like May 1 is starting to allow some businesses to open even if limited.

Most of our "snowbird" friends have left for their northern homes.  Today is weather perfect with blue skies, lower humidity, and 78F/25C.  We know in the next few weeks, we will be hot and humid and ready to look for travel.  Guess the summer options will be limited to road trips for now.