SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

10 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Lots of questions and uncertainty

And, why is this?  The way our country has handled this disease has been inept from the start.  

Its ineptness, along with a severe dismissal of what science has taught has (i.e. have a swig of Lysol; that's the remedy), has led us to these questions and uncertainty as to whom to believe, what to believe.  

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

It is hard to make sense of why the CDC would pull back from a detailed monitoring program just as COVID-19 cases are again rising worldwide.

No, it's not hard to make sense of this.  We, the People, are through with the restrictions that were rightfully imposed when the pandemic started.  But, when the vaccines arrived on the scene and could have been mandated to have been accepted just as vaccines have been for decades, our political Statesmen/women blinked in the face of opposition to require vaccinations.  (I was not aware that invertebrates met the qualifications to be elected to office.  I keep learning.)  

So, we the seeds sowed have now produced the situation we are in:  our New Covid Normal.  Is there any other choice than to live with this virus, accept it will keep changing, just as the flu yearly changes, and continue to live that, personally, wants to live?

Choose to wear a mask for the rest of your life when you encounter others?  Please do.  Choose to not allow a grandchild to hug you for fear that the child may pass a variant on to you?  Please do.  

Those are not my choices.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 3

On 7/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, rkacruiser said:

The way our country has handled this disease has been inept from the start.  So, we the seeds sowed have now produced the situation we are in:  our New Covid Normal.  Is there any other choice than to live with this virus, accept it will keep changing, just as the flu yearly changes?   Choose to not allow a grandchild to hug you for fear that the child may pass a variant on to you?  Please do. Those are not my choices.  

Appreciate these very good, above comments and follow-up from our SW Ohio neighbor.  Yes, cases are rising with the new variant, but few people want to do shut-downs, again.  Right?.  

From the London/UK Evening Standard this morning, they had this headline: New Zealand’s Covid-19 deaths hit record high as it battles Omicron sub-variant" with this sub-headline: "Deaths from the virus reached 151 in one week, compared with 115 in the worst week of the previous wave.

New Zealand, where we visited in early 2020 for a week right before the Covid shut-down started happening, was supposedly the best and brightest for how they were shutting down and handling these challenges.  Was their strategy really the smartest and most effective?  Now, there are more questions.  

Here are a couple of their story highlights: “New Zealanders are dying from Covid-19 at record rates as the country battles a new wave of the Omicron strain that is particularly affecting the older population.  The Omicron BA.5 sub-variant is driving the current wave in New Zealand.  New Zealand’s swift response to the pandemic and its geographic isolation kept it largely free from the virus until near the end of last year, but the virus spread rapidly when restrictions eased after residents were largely vaccinated.”

New Zealand was one of the last countries to re-open its borders.  They did that in April 2022 and now they are in this challenged situation.  What does that tell us and mean for cruise ship operations and passengers?

.Full story at:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/new-zealand-covid19-death-omicron-pandemic-virus-b1014173.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,018 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Thanks 1

From the Reuters newswire and MSN News Wednesday, they had this headline: U.S. cruise operators' recovery runs into rough weather as labor crisis worsens with these highlights:The cruise industry is sailing in choppy waters yet again as it has to deal with a storm of labor problems, red-hot inflation and recessionary threat, after barely steadying itself from the blows of an 18-month shutdown due to the pandemic. '(The labor shortage) couldn't come at a worse time because the cruise industry is finally starting to see recovery from being the worst impacted industry  by COVID,' said Jim Corridore, a travel and leisure analyst at data analytics firm Similarweb.

This reporting focused on a traveler scheduled to do a Hawaiian islands sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America that was canceled due to a staffing shortage.

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/us-cruise-operators-recovery-runs-into-rough-weather-as-labor-crisis-worsens/ar-AAZNwYd

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From MSN News and former USA Today travel guru Gene Sloan yesterday afternoon, there is this headline: Confused about changing COVID-19 rules for cruise ships? Here’s everything you need to know with these highlights:Do you still need a COVID-19 vaccine to board a cruise ship? A negative COVID-19 test? A mask?  Not too many months ago, the answer was “all of the above” for most cruise vessels. However, today it’s not so straightforward. Some cruise lines have been loosening their COVID-19 rules. Others have been mostly holding fast to policies.

YES, it is complicated as many countries around the world, including the U.S., have rolled back their Covid rules for cruise ships, allowing different lines to decide just how tight . . . or not . . . they want to be.  What does that mean?  Preparing for a cruise has become more complicated and confusing.  Then, local communities, as an example in Ohio such as Dayton and Columbus, are now suggesting that masks be worn inside, etc.  It is a not exactly "mandatory", but the rising case numbers are causing some governments to push for more masking, limitations, etc.  

Confused?  Worried?  In this lengthy article, the author answers and somewhat clarifies many of the key questions for vaccinations, masking, testing requirements, etc.  Part of what he shares is that it depends much as to where you are sailing, departure port location, etc.  As an example, Italy is tighter on some of these rules compared to other Europe nations.  

Here is one example that Sloan shares: "Many cruise lines warn in their travel documentation that 'guests are …responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional pre-embarkation testing at the terminal,' as Norwegian puts it in its documentation."  Got it??

This thread is now over 180,000 views!!   Appreciate all who have dropped by, made comments, asked questions, shared information and opinions, etc.  Keep it up.  This "situation", sadly, is not over and done.  Still more complications are playing out that affects any type of return to normal.  

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/confused-about-changing-covid-19-rules-for-cruise-ships-here-s-everything-you-need-to-know/ar-AAZSbjr

Early 2020 (right before Covid shut-down), many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/18/2022 at 2:02 PM, rkacruiser said:

They have gotten much higher paying jobs in other businesses.  

What I don't understand are why some of the young people (i.e. college students) are not fulfilling some of these jobs.  OK, maybe they don't pay a great deal of money/hour, but they pay money.  When I was a college students, I was working for $1/hr or even less if it was a commission type job, if I could get the job.  And, I was thankful for whatever I earned.  Is my lack of understanding due to a generational difference?  

Or, is there too much affluence that some college students enjoy?  

One reason we need more immigrants - to fill the vacuum left by those moving up the employment ladder, not to mention the aging workforce and future insolvency of Social Security. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

One reason we need more immigrants - to fill the vacuum left by those moving up the employment ladder, not to mention the aging workforce and future insolvency of Social Security. 

Too many Americans either never learned, or if they did learn, have never appreciated that the USA would not exist if it were not for the immigrants.  I wouldn't be an American if my ancestors had not immigrated from Germany and England.  How about you, whomever reads this?

Social Security will not become insolvent.  The fury that we saw by some on 1/6/21 will pale to the fury that senior citizens of the future will display if told that there will be no more SS checks.  As Congress usually does, when their "back is against the wall" on an issue, it is 12/31/? and its the final session of a Lame Duck Congress, a solution for potential insolvency will be found.  

• Like 1

Didn’t mean to imply it’s a done deal regarding Social Security insolvency but it is unsustainable and adjustments will have to be made if there aren’t enough workers paying into the system to support longer living retirees.  If the adjustments aren’t made to the system then we’ll have to pay somewhere else resulting in increased taxes or other reduced benefits.  We need better immigration policies for sure.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Social Security will not become insolvent.  The fury that we saw by some on 1/6/21 will pale to the fury that senior citizens of the future will display if told that there will be no more SS checks.  As Congress usually does, when their "back is against the wall" on an issue, it is 12/31/? and its the final session of a Lame Duck Congress, a solution for potential insolvency will be found.  

Although it is a little off-topic, there is some serious truth and honesty about the statements/views from both my SW Ohio neighbor and Gourmet Gal.  Yes, official reports detail and document that Social Security and Medicare are running out of their limited money reserves.  It will not happen in a year or two, but they have detailed the projected dates in the future.  

Is there an easy and simple solution today?  No!  Is Congress working on it now?  No!  As stated, Congress will look at the options of raising taxes, cutting/narrowing benefits, etc., to solve ultimately the aspects of this complex issue.  Then, there is always the well-used option of the Federal government just printing more money, floating more debt, etc.  It will get "saved", somewhat, maybe, but inflation will continue to ramp up, etc.  

In reality, going back to the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, etc., lmany, many more people were paying into this fund, not living as long, etc.  It is great that us older folks are now living so much longer, but that was not planned and/or anticipated.  Now, there is a serious problem with too many getting money for years beyond what was expected and fewer people, in proportion, are now paying into the fund.  Complicated, but easy to understand how the promises were easy to make.  But now, paying out the promised and expected money is out-running what was planned.  Solvable?  Yes, but how it is done is not simple and easy.  

Back to cruising, yes, Wall Street financial experts are trying to figure out how the coming recession, higher interest rates, etc., will impact consumer spending and flexibility.  Cruises are nice, but not totally a "necessity" compared to food, housing costs, health care, etc.  Many future financial variables out there, including Social Security, will be impacting the cruise industry.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 255,074 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Like 2

Royal Caribbean had a financial quarterly report yesterday.  RCL lost a half billion dollars for this second quarter of 2022, but says (hopes?) they will be soon be profitable.  More on the RCL Financial thread on this CC board.

But, here is an interesting trend: From the Wall Street Journal Wednesday morning, they had this headline: Everybody Into the Hotel Pool! That’ll Be $200" with this sub-headline:  "Some hotels now charge swimmers and sunbathers to reserve a basic poolside lounge chair, often with few other perks.

Here are some of the story highlights that might be of interest: Hotels have long tacked pesky fees to guest bills.  Now they’re coming for the lounge chair.  Don’t confuse it with a cushier daybed or cabana, which will set you back $575 or $1,200.  A Las Vegas regular worries novice travelers may think paying a fee to reserve a chair is required, or that they are reserving something more than a lounge chair.

Just as airlines are now charging added fees for the better seats on your flights, some hotels view this tactic as a "creative" way to grow revenue.  

Will cruise line adopt this trend?  Hopefully nearly all-inclusive Silversea will not go do this path of charging for a seat near the pool.  Or, to get the best times for excursions?   Too greedy?  But, maybe for Royal Caribbean, Carnival and other larger, more mass-market cruise ships?  

Reactions?  What other "tricks" can cruise lines use to produce more revenue to restore profits, funding higher fuel/food/staff cost and pay off their billions of dollars in debts?  With Silversea, they can jack up the profit margins for tours, spa use, premium wines, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hotel-pool-reservation-fees-lounge-chairs-11658864558?mod=wsjhp_columnists_pos3

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,665 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Thanks 1

Is the travel game changing and/or getting more competitive?.  

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: JPMorgan Is Building a Giant Travel Agent" with this sub-headline: "Need a five-star hotel room or a safari with that checking account? JPMorgan wants to book that for you.

Here are a few of their story highlights:Chase & Co. wants to be your travel agent.  For the past 18 months, the nation’s biggest bank has been assembling the pieces to launch a full-service travel business.  It bought a booking system, a restaurant review company and a luxury travel agent. It is building its own airport lounges and a force of thousands of travel agents. A new website will launch in the coming months.  Travel has become one of the most important spending categories for banks and credit card issuers.

Interesting development?  What happens next?  Clearly JP Morgan Chase knows that many of its millions of customers have money building up and they would like to help them spend it.  Plus, take a little share of the commission action??

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jpmorgan-is-building-a-giant-travel-agent-11659182401?mod=hp_lead_pos4

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 238,118 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Interesting development?  What happens next?  Clearly JP Morgan Chase knows that many of its millions of customers have money building up and they would like to help them spend it.  Plus, take a little share of the commission action??

It seems to me that some other large companies tried to dip their toes into the travel industry many years ago.  Maybe AT&T?  In the early 1980's, I got a nice discount on a cruise using a travel agent affiliated with AT&T because I bought two of their Western Bell Division phones.  If so, that didn't last long.

As a Chase customer, this is very interesting news.  There are some changes taking place in their banking business that, as a customer and very small shareholder via mutual funds, is difficult to understand.  Safe deposit boxes?  No longer available for rent.  (If one already has one,  you can keep it and your rent is being increased.)  Yet, the vaults are still there with safe deposit boxes.  Increased fees for some services for some customers.  I needed a couple of weeks ago to stop payment on a couple of checks; I was told that the fee was "X".  The account statement that covered that request showed the fee was less than what I was told.  (The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing?)

The Chase branch that I use has much unused office space available where a "travel counselor" could occupy.  Maybe this unused space exists in many of their other branches and this "adventure" may be an attempt to make that space productive.

On 7/30/2022 at 10:41 AM, tosteve1 said:

Chase and American Express are going head to head. Centurion lounges are awesome. I have both cards so hope to benefit from their rivalry!

Appreciate these very good follow-ups from tosteve1 and our SW Ohio neighbor about the potential travel "battles" between Chase, American Express, etc.  Yes, maybe, competition can be good and might offer consumer more, better options.  

From MSN News and the Orlando newspaper yesterday, they had this headline: Carnival, Royal Caribbean among cruise lines relaxing COVID test requirements with these highlights: “Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean Cruises are among those shifting COVID-19 test requirement policies in the wake of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention formally ending its COVID-19 guidance program.  Royal Caribbean has a similar approach to Carnival with pre-cruise testing removed for vaccinated guests on sailings five nights or shorter as of Aug. 8.”

Given the rise up in Covid cases and new variants, it seems that things are evolving and changing.  Maybe for the better?  Those getting Covid mostly seem to have it in milder forms, probably?  We are still not back at "normal", but there is movement and progress?  Am I correct to still have some questions as to certain of these travel-related issues?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/carnival-royal-caribbean-among-cruise-lines-relaxing-covid-test-requirements/ar-AA108FUu

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 97,171 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Thanks 1

From the Washington Post this morning as their lead/top story, they had this headline: Corporations on the front lines of the economy say cracks are forming" with this sub-headline: "Big tech, retail companies and consumer giants painted a mixed picture of a consumer economy where spending is beginning to wane; to see changes in the habits of consumers and their willingness to spend.

Here are a couple of their key story highlights: “In recent days, executives all attempted to address questions about the state of the economy, which has teetered on the brink of a recession.  It’s complicated.  In Silicon Valley, profits at tech companies like Google and Apple generally beat expectations, but executives said there are signs of some niche slowing in consumer spending. Consumer products giant Procter & Gamble said it is expecting a tougher 2023, although it’s still raising prices. Mastercard said spending was steady among the wealthy, but slowing among lower-income customers.”

What does this story have to do with cruising?  Consumer spending is a key factor as to whether cruise bookings will continue strong.  Now that the U.S. has had two straight quarters of negative growth, it meets the economic standards for being in a "recession".  When consumer feel threatened by inflation and a shrinking economy, they cut back on their "free spending", including travel and cruise.  

Travel bookings have been very good in the past few months, but what happens in September and October when consumers need to pay the bills from their summer "freedom recovery" after two plus years of Covid shut-downs and limitations?  Reactions and future speculation?  

Will certain cruise lines, maybe not Silversea, need to offer special incentives and price breaks to secure future bookings?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?reload=true&_=1659285413443

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 70,209 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Thanks 1

Getting to your international cruise is not as easy as we might remember from the "Good, Old Days".  Right?

From the Wall Street Journal earlier this past week they had this headline: Worst Flight Delays at the World’s Busiest Airports: See the List" with this sub-headline: "Most of the 100 busiest airports have had at least 20% of their flights delayed in recent weeks.

Here are a few of their reporting highlights: “Flying for many has become full of delays, cancellations and other travel woes, but there are some airports that are worse than others,  At two Canadian airports, Toronto Pearson International Airport and Montréal-Trudeau International Airport, more than half of departing flights were late.”

In later August, as we are headed to the Eastern Canada Maritime Provinces on a Tauck land tour, we have our flights to and back through the Toronto main airport in going to Halifax.  Should we be concerned and worried about this Toronto airport?

Also from their report: "High on the list for U.S. airports was Florida’s Orlando Airport, New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport and the Baltimore/BWI,  Not all of the large airports on the list are struggling. For example, at Tokyo International Airport, 8.3% of scheduled flights have been delayed."

Also very high on this listing for high numbers of delays, in order after Toronto and Montreal were: Frankfurt, Paris de Gaulle, Munich, Amsterdam Schiphol, London Heathrow ,London Gatwick, Vancouver and Athens.   Any flights planned through these key Europe airports?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-worst-flight-delays-at-the-worlds-busiest-airports-see-the-list-11658889826

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,050 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Any flights planned through these key Europe airports?

No and neither do friends who left for a cruise and land tour with Overseas Adventure Travel in Norway and Finland.  Their flight itinerary was CVG-JFK-Helsinki-Oslo.  I told them they were fortunate to using those two European airports and not some others.

They did have a problem at CVG when it was discovered that OAT had misspelled the last name of one of the couple.  Dave said it took 20 minutes to get it straightened out; don't know how they did that.  

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

We are still not back at "normal", but there is movement and progress?  Am I correct to still have some questions as to certain of these travel-related issues?

Yes, I think it is reasonable to have some concern.  The changes show progress and, I think, a gradual acceptance that normality will be living with Covid.  I fear backsliding if conditions become too bad again.  My Church was back to wearing masks again today because many of last week's attendees had tested positive for the disease.  

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Reactions

When the credit card companies begin reporting an increase in late payments and an increase in delinquent accounts, that may be significant as to what the near future holds.  

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Getting to your international cruise is not as easy as we might remember from the "Good, Old Days".  Right?

From the Wall Street Journal earlier this past week they had this headline: Worst Flight Delays at the World’s Busiest Airports: See the List" with this sub-headline: "Most of the 100 busiest airports have had at least 20% of their flights delayed in recent weeks.

Here are a few of their reporting highlights: “Flying for many has become full of delays, cancellations and other travel woes, but there are some airports that are worse than others,  At two Canadian airports, Toronto Pearson International Airport and Montréal-Trudeau International Airport, more than half of departing flights were late.”

In later August, as we are headed to the Eastern Canada Maritime Provinces on a Tauck land tour, we have our flights to and back through the Toronto main airport in going to Halifax.  Should we be concerned and worried about this Toronto airport?

Also from their report: "High on the list for U.S. airports was Florida’s Orlando Airport, New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport and the Baltimore/BWI,  Not all of the large airports on the list are struggling. For example, at Tokyo International Airport, 8.3% of scheduled flights have been delayed."

Also very high on this listing for high numbers of delays, in order after Toronto and Montreal were: Frankfurt, Paris de Gaulle, Munich, Amsterdam Schiphol, London Heathrow ,London Gatwick, Vancouver and Athens.   Any flights planned through these key Europe airports?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-worst-flight-delays-at-the-worlds-busiest-airports-see-the-list-11658889826

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,050 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Terry, we just flew through YYZ today. The only issue was the line through US customs was 45 minutes. Otherwise things were smooth and virtually normal. Masks are still required in the airport itself but most places in Toronto are wide open. We had a great 5 day visit. 

11 hours ago, tosteve1 said:

Terry, we just flew through YYZ today. The only issue was the line through US customs was 45 minutes. Otherwise things were smooth and virtually normal. Masks are still required in the airport itself but most places in Toronto are wide open. We had a great 5 day visit. 

Appreciate very much this great follow-up as to how things worked at the Toronto main airport.  Good news!!??  Hope things continue to be improving with the air flight challenges.  Keep it coming with any and all suggestion and experiences from being in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Briton, etc. Looking forward to our first visit to the Eastern Canada Provinces.     

From a key trade publican yesterday, they had this headline: Silversea Has Added Six New Ships in Three Years with these highlights: "Undergoing a new phase in its history, the Silversea Cruises fleet is seeing unprecedent growth.  With the recent acquisition of the former Crystal Endeavor, the ultra-luxury brand will have added a total of six new vessels between 2021 and 2024.  Marking Silversea’s return to service, the Silver Moon launched service in June 2021.  The Silver Origin entered service for Silversea in June 2021, becoming the brand’s first purpose-built expedition newbuild.”  Plus, the Silver Dawn in April 2022.

With all of the "distractions" caused by Covid, we kind of forget how many new ships are or will be added to the Silversea fleet.  Coming soon will be the Silver Nova in 2023, a 728-passenger ship being built by Meyer Werft.  It will be Silversea'’s first LNG-powered hybrid ship.  A second Nova-class ship is on-order and will follow Silver Nova in the second quarter of 2024.  Busy future schedule?  Exciting?  What will all of this new capacity due for pricing, staffing, quality, etc?  

Having the deeper financial pockets of Royal Caribbean has certain helped expand and fund Silversea's ambitious future expansion efforts.  Right or wrong?   How will it all work out longer-term, especially as new luxury lines such as Ritz-Carlton and Explora are ramping up?  It will not be the "same-old, same-old" during the next few years for Silversea!!

Full story at:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27903-silversea-has-added-six-new-ships-in-three-years.html

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 46,174 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

21 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Now that the U.S. has had two straight quarters of negative growth, it meets the economic standards for being in a "recession".

Hmmmm, we are now being told by some that it is not a recession, it is a "transition".  Just like "transitory" inflation, time will tell this tale.😉

21 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Flying for many has become full of delays, cancellations and other travel woes,

We are transiting through Heathrow Wednesday on our way to join Seabourn Venture in Longyearben via Oslo.   We shipped our bags which are already at our hotel. Will our flights & connection be travel fortune or mis fortune. 🤞

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Hmmmm, we are now being told by some that it is not a recession, it is a "transition".  Just like "transitory" inflation, time will tell this tale.😉

. 🤞

LOL! DH and I met with our financial advisor (from a very large firm) yesterday in a nice restaurant.  We do this routinely on a regular basis, part business, part social, and having just finished reading the latest issues of the WSJ, all had a good laugh about the new redefinitiions of *two  sequential quarters of negative growth*, after decades of one steady definition.

Then we got down to the business of 'buttoning down the hatches' to prepare for the upcoming "transitional"  ride, (while enjoying the now 50% or so extra cost or "transition" inflation since last year of the identical meal we order each time every 3 months ).

We can fortunately still afford our  cruises, as well as the outrageous overseas business airfare, and have done multiple cruises since Covid (another one is coming up in September, for Canadian fall colors, and DH's camera is ready!).

But as I've said before, the logistical barriers and major inconveniences the pandemic has created take a lot of the joy out of planning and executing the trips, waste time on unproductive tasks (e.g., trying to figure out which airport you're least likely to lose your luggage at, which airline is least likely to cancel you short notice, which country is most tolerable for a quarantine, which country will require suffocating N95 mask usage *even when outside* (like we experienced on our Panama Canal cruise), where and when you can get tested pre-cruise etc.) and create unhealthy anxiety (and it is *not* anxiety about dying of Covid, despite my age and immunosuppressant medication).

Ironically, we booked our next cruise (to timely use up some SB FCC), for Canada several months ago , thinking that if we got stuck in another sudden lockdown or quarantine, we would be able to "just rent a car and drive home", now that we are both retired, as we have time.  Then when we investigated (three months ahead of time) booking a private countryside driving tour with a guide pre-cruise, we found out from her that there is a major shortage or rental vehicles -- the guide asked if we would consider just a walk around town instead.  

39 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We are transiting through Heathrow Wednesday on our way to join Seabourn Venture in Longyearben via Oslo.   We shipped our bags which are already at our hotel. Will our flights & connection be travel fortune or mis fortune. 🤞

Good luck with your Norway's Svalbard archipelago adventure through Seabourn.  Look forward to any and all details as to exploring that part of the work.  Plus, insights as to how Seabourn is performing these days.   We have done much in Norway, but have not made to that specific, scenic location.  Sounds exciting!!

Appreciate these great comments and follow-up about the supposed not-happening recision.  That is truly a dishonest "TALE" of wishful fiction that everybody knows is phony.  Sadly, it is coming and most have been and will continue to feel the economic mismanagement that has been happening over the past decade by the Fed and others in government.  Starting in and around 2012, the Feds should have been slowly upping interest rates to protect from what is hitting now economically.  Free money and low interest rates always seem "nice" at the time, but ultimately you pay a price for such in-action.  Right?  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,710 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate these great comments and follow-up about the supposed not-happening recision.  That is truly a dishonest "TALE" of wishful fiction that everybody knows is phony.  Sadly, it is coming and most have been and will continue to feel the economic mismanagement that has been happening over the past decade by the Fed and others in government.  Starting in and around 2012, the Feds should have been slowly upping interest rates to protect from what is hitting now economically.  Free money and low interest rates always seem "nice" at the time, but ultimately you pay a price for such in-action.  Right?  

Exactly!

21 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

The Venture looks like a really cool ship, enjoy your trip.  Please send updates.

We are sailing on the Silver Cloud August 15 out of Reyjavik.  In the material sent by SS regarding pre- cruise testing they say the test results must be verified.  Does anyone know what they mean by this.  We have home test kits and have no idea how to get the results verified.  Thanks

1 hour ago, chrism23 said:

We are sailing on the Silver Cloud August 15 out of Reyjavik.  In the material sent by SS regarding pre- cruise testing they say the test results must be verified.  Does anyone know what they mean by this.  We have home test kits and have no idea how to get the results verified.  Thanks

YUP..  Which home tests do you have???   IF you have FlowFlex, you can have them proctored.  There is info inside the package.  Proctoring is 20 bucks per test. 24 hours a day.

IF you don't have the Flowflex I believe you can still get them at Target, CVS  Walgreens.  Just check their web-sites to see who has that specific test in stock.

We are  full time traveling nomad and carry them with us. We are in Colombia at the moment, and will be heading to Quito in a couple of weeks for our Galapagos cruise.  We will use these for our pre-cruise testing if they do not do it at the hotel.

BTW its very easy!