SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

We stay in a beautiful restored house in East Yorkshire each October that has always cost around £800 per week including the 2 dogs. 

I see that for 2021 the price has increased by 30% and a £30 charge for each dog. I also notice that the bookings for summer/autumn are much higher than we would expect to see looking at the calendar now. Clearly increased demand has allowed them to increase prices and limit their lockdown losses. 

I think staycations (Yes, I think it's a hateful word too) are this year's boom industry. 

41 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

We stay in a beautiful restored house in East Yorkshire each October that has always cost around £800 per week including the 2 dogs. 

I see that for 2021 the price has increased by 30% and a £30 charge for each dog. I also notice that the bookings for summer/autumn are much higher than we would expect to see looking at the calendar now. Clearly increased demand has allowed them to increase prices and limit their lockdown losses. 

I think staycations (Yes, I think it's a hateful word too) are this year's boom industry. 

I think our summer vacation this year will be another visit to Puerto Backyardo.  🥴😬

Edited by Randyk47
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

We stay in a beautiful restored house in East Yorkshire each October that has always cost around £800 per week including the 2 dogs. I see that for 2021 the price has increased by 30% and a £30 charge for each dog. I think staycations (Yes, I think it's a hateful word too) are this year's boom industry

Appreciate this excellent above "staycation" posting.  Agree that with all of the complications and uncertainty as to the "rules" and standards for international travel, that traveling closer to home will be a "growth industry" for later this year.  

From Forbes magazine two days ago, they had this headline: “Here’s What May Push Cruise Lines To Mandate Passenger Vaccinations with these highlights: “Most major cruise lines are planning to resume sailing at the end of April or soon thereafter. One of the most pressing questions is whether passengers will be required to be vaccinated.   The industry’s reboot is possible under the CDC’s Framework for Conditional Sailing Order, which charters a pathway for cruise lines to resume sailing through adhering to a set of strict Covid-19 protocols, including a rigorous testing regimen.  To date, only three small-ship cruise lines have announced that they will require passengers to be vaccinated for Covid-19 before setting sail.  Many cruise enthusiasts appear to be on the same page. In a recent survey of nearly 3,000 Cruise Critic readers, a hefty majority believed vaccines will be important to the restart of cruising. More than eight in 10 (81%) respondents said they would cruise if a vaccine were mandated prior to setting sail. Only 5% said that a vaccine requirement would deter them from cruising, while the remaining 14% were unsure.  So far, no major large-ship cruise line has said that it will mandate passengers to provide proof of vaccination, but that could change in the coming months.”

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/02/16/heres-what-may-push-cruise-lines-to-mandate-passenger-vaccinations/?sh=71f4865ff9ce

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,036 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

I think our summer vacation this year will be another visit to Puerto Backyardo.  🥴😬

Suspect that you're right. We are prepared though...We bought insulated metal wine glasses so our chilled white wines don't overheat while lounging in the pool!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Suspect that you're right. We are prepared though...We bought insulated metal wine glasses so our chilled white wines don't overheat while lounging in the pool!

We’re replacing some of our Mexican talavera pots we have around our pool and on our patio.   Some of the pots we had were 15+ years old and a bit faded.  The new talavera is brighter and different colors.   Change of scenery for our next staycation.

• Like 3

I got this email from Crystal this afternoon. Basically the FAQ says that no vaccine, no cruise. For the moment anyway, they are not allowing exceptions for medical conditions. Crew will be vaccinated as soon as possible, 

Email:

In preparation for our safe return to cruising, Crystal’s expanded health and safety protocols – Crystal Clean+ 4.0 – now include a Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all guests across all brand experiences – Ocean, River, Yacht and Expedition. Your comfort and well-being remain our top priority and this new measure adds to the comprehensive program of precautionary steps that includes negative Covid-19 tests for both guests and crew, reduced capacity, social distancing, nimble mask requirements, health screening questionnaires and more. For your ease of reference, please see FAQs here, and visit the Health & Safety Hub on our website for details on protocols; all are updated as new science and information becomes available.

• Like 1

An interesting piece in the Times of London today on the future of cruising in general.

To quote from the 1st paragraph “A passage on the Oceania Cruises 2023 world voyage is no cheap ticket. Fares start at £38,059 for the lowliest inside cabin, rising to £74,019pp for a suite. Yet when sales for the 180-day voyage opened on January 27, all the berths were snapped up in a single day. “Despite the challenges the world faces today, travellers are clearly bullish about the future,” said Oceania’s president and chief executive, Bob Binder, in something of an understatement.

It goes on to say that 2022 and beyond will see a spending spree especially for high end cruises in far off places. 

The bank of England claims that Brits are sitting on £250 million in unspent savings accumulated during this pandemic. According to Uniworld 2022  bookings are up 425% on last year. Expedition cruises  popular before Covid are benefiting from people wanting to fulfill bucket list trips and to hell with the cost

However the article does point out that much needs to happen before these bookings turn into a reality, namely the opening of borders and vaccinations.

But the main take away from is that people want to spend their money when this is over treat themselves and see exotic places in luxury. 

• Like 1

Staycations 2021  I have mine booked, Chilmark, Martha's Vineyard,  think of the island as a huge ship.  How do the brits say this, "gobsmacked" well that is what I am if 180 day Oceania world cruise would sell out in 24 hours.  "Oceania" .  Correct me if I am wrong but years ago they were Renaissance and they went belly up and sold off most of their assets which became Oceania.  I sailed them once.  I would put them in the 2nd tier of high end lines, below Seabourne, Regent, Silversea and Crystal.  They are just so-so unless I have become too jaded.  May I ask what kind of cash did someone have to put up to make a 180 day reservation.  If near $0 and Silversea follows suit. I will put my reservation in of a 2023 world voyage right now.  

This does lead to an actual question.  Forgetting totally about the plague for a moment.  Silversea just sent out a email/borchure promoting their 2022-3 grand voyages.  I have asked for a quote for the South America segment, 70 days, leaving FT Lauderdale RT leaving 1/3/23.  Haven't heard back from my guy yet to see how much $$ they want up front.  But I did notice, and this is why I write this here, was nearly everything was waitlisted already.  This speaks to the start of the post about cruisers being bullish.  Hell, we are lined up at the starting line waiting to go. This segment is 70 days and I have never down more than 21 before.  Thus I am anxious, but don't want to get frozen out.  But my main question, and this is for real, honest, I don't know what to do with my cat for a 70 day trip.  The cat's comfort is non-negotiable,  Does anyone run into this and if so how so you solve it.  Thanks.   

This is why we never go on holiday for longer than 3.5 weeks chrism23. Our local cattery is fine, and that's where he goes, but we do get a vomity puss on our return for a couple of days, then he is 100% again. And they give him all the same food as we do. I don't think they comb him every day as we do, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I don't think they comb him every day as we do, though.

Thanks for replying.  I feel like I am not alone.  We have two options, a neighbor who loves our cats, and our vet who has a couple of staff people that will stop by each day.  With the neighbor, our cats get belly rubs, cheek scratches, everything.  It is way too much of an imposition on our neighbor to go more than 3 weeks.  My wife and I are unabashedly cat people.  She had 2 cats when we got married 35 years ago, and  keeping the  cats was non negotiable.  Ever since then I have come to love the little guys.  So, really, this is a dilemma,  I want  to do longer cruises, but the cats win.  I really don't know what to do.  Thanks.   

Our 2 furbabies are why we don't want to go away for more than 14 days. We did have a sitter who moved into our house, but she is in her late 80's and we need to find a new one. Also we have one kitty who needs fluids infused every 4 days for kidney disease. She's doing fine, but still worry when we're gone, turned 12 yesterday. No world cruises until we're kitty-less, if that ever happens.

15 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

We have a cat feeder/cuddler and our cats stay at home. 

I was just going to ask for your cuddlers details then I noticed you are in England.  Anyone have a kitty feed in central Connecticut.  I really need to go on a long cruise.  cheers.

• Like 1

From this Fort Lauderdale newspaper in the heart of cruise country yesterday morning, they had this headline: “Those cruise ships at port? Just grabbing a few things” with these highlights: “Cruise ships seen rotating in and out of slips at Port Everglades and Port Miami aren’t coming to pick up passengers.  The cruise industry remains under suspension in the United States pending federal approval of cruise lines’ plans to prevent future passengers from contracting COVID-19.  In the meantime, companies must still keep their expensive investments, well, ship shape. And that means keeping bare-bones crews on board to ensure mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment run smoothly.  Those crews take turns steering the ships into the ports, so their vessels can receive food, medical supplies and fuel. Some of the ships go to the same terminals where passengers would normally board them, said Port Everglades spokeswoman Ellen Kennedy. But ships that would be otherwise stationed on the Intracoastal Waterway have to dock inside the port’s turning basin to make room for cargo ships that need a wide berth." 

Here is more from this reportg: "Carnival ships typically have about 125 crew members on board, Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said. Royal Caribbean ships are operating with crews of essential workers.  While many ships have spent large amounts of time anchored in the ocean, Carnival has brought a majority of its fleet to Port Miami in preparation for a return to service.”

Full story at:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-cruise-ships-at-port-20210220-lzmkx3efhvaxlhspm3al5ptr44-story.html

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,138 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

From the Wall Street Journal today, they had this headline: Travel’s Covid-19 Blues Are Likely Here to Stay—‘People Will Go Out of Business’ " with this sub-headline: "The tourism industry, which hoped for a rebound from the pandemic in 2021, is bracing for a slower recovery.

Here are some of the key story/analysis highlights: “The pandemic travel bust that hit tourism-dependent economies may only just be beginning.  Tourist destinations from Thailand to Iceland had been hoping Covid-19 vaccines would allow countries to reopen their borders and drive a much-needed recovery in 2021. Now, with vaccine rollouts delayed in some places and new virus strains appearing, it is looking more likely that international travel could be stalled for years.  After declaring that 2020 was the worst year for tourism on record, with one billion fewer international arrivals, the United Nations World Tourism Organization says prospects for a 2021 rebound have worsened. In October, 79% of experts polled by the agency believed a 2021 rebound was possible. Only 50% said they believed that in January, and some 41% didn’t think travel would reach pre-pandemic levels until 2024 or beyond.  Before the pandemic, travel, tourism and related business activity accounted for 10% of the global economy, and one in 10 jobs, according to estimates from the World Travel & Tourism Council. Many places, from Pacific islands to Macau to Greece, were even more reliant on tourism than that.  'People will go out of business,' said Ross Dowling, an honorary professor of tourism at Edith Cowan University in Australia. 'They’re not going to survive if they can’t adapt, and no amount of resilience is going to get you through another year.'   As of Feb. 1, air tickets issued for international travel in the coming six months were 15.5% of what they were in 2019, down roughly 2 percentage points compared with Jan. 1, according to travel analytics company ForwardKeys. Scheduled flights this month are down nearly 50% globally compared with February 2019, with some markets down about 90%, according to data company Cirium.”

Is this story and data too negative . . . or . . . just being "REALISTIC"??

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/travels-covid-19-blues-are-likely-here-to-staypeople-will-go-out-of-business-11613912401?mod=hp_lead_pos10

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 47,760 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From the Wall Street Journal today, they had this headline: Travel’s Covid-19 Blues Are Likely Here to Stay—‘People Will Go Out of Business’ " with this sub-headline: "The tourism industry, which hoped for a rebound from the pandemic in 2021, is bracing for a slower recovery. ...

Terry,

Thanks so much for all your informative posts, and obvious extensive research. Your informal moderation of the thread has been terrific, lead to a great resource for all of us cruising SS, and it’s certainly been an interesting one for me personally. Everyone who participated deserves a hand for the great info, posting with decorum, and for following the board rules.

The “slower recovery” phrase you hi-lited from the link above may finally be indicative that the realization is seeping in at most businesses, some governments, but perhaps most importantly the work world & holiday travelers. This pandemic still has legs. In fact, with the South Africa variant, and the new concerns emerging that the vaccine might have less efficacy against it, maybe really, really long legs. So, likely Covid-19 will be with us for a while longer, certainly not unexpected.

So, what new strategies are needed to expedite our transition to the “new normal” of international travel? Lots of strategic multi-national planning required to get that one right. Whatever comes out of that process will probably set the stage for how travel evolves well beyond the 2020’s.

And, that is a really important thing for all of us, as we need to see more clarity, definition on dates, procedures, restrictions, options, and a host of other items that impact our personal trip planning. If only so we can work up some potential destinations, and scheduling options while waiting. I would gladly start looking at ‘23 or ‘23, but there is literally nothing to look at with any degree of certainty. Maybe more new info this spring? <sigh>

Thanks again,

Doc Ruth

Edited by docruth
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, docruth said:

Thanks again,

Terry.  Let me wholeheartedly echo docruth's sentiment.  This has remained one of the most informative, well moderated and useful threads on cruise critic.  As I said before I am amazed at the amount of work you are putting into  And now for some good news.  On the second business page of the NY Times today there is the following:  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/21/business/economy/pandemic-economic-boom.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Business.  The title is A New Early-Bird Special for Seniors: Have Vaccine, Will Travel.  I got a call from from SS consultant yesterday saying there were just 7 suites left on the Silver Moon for the South American Grant Voyage departing Ft. Lauderdale on 1/3/2023.  Whoa.  In talking to him he said the 2023 cruises are selling out fast.  I went to the sites and nearly everything is already waitlisted.  Not so much the 2022 there is still some hesitation.  But friends, if you are going to sea in 2023, I think its time to jump in.  Silversea's refund policy minimizes the risks.  

Now as Ruth says, we are not out of this yet.  This is the most rapidly mutating virus I have ever seen.  And the Lord only knows what is going to happen with the variants, the vaccines and all else.  But if you limit your financial exposure, now might be the time to pull the trigger.   PS.  In the Grand Voyage brochure there is a 21 day trip solely up the Amazon in 4/22, a new itinerary that I would have jumped on but I was already booked on an exploration trip to Scotland that I had to cancel last year.  Next year, up the Amazon (with a lot of bug repellant).   cheers.  Chris

• Like 1

12 hours ago, docruth said:

Terry,  Thanks so much for all your informative posts, and obvious extensive research. Your informal moderation of the thread has been terrific, lead to a great resource for all of us cruising SS, and it’s certainly been an interesting one for me personally. Everyone who participated deserves a hand for the great info, posting with decorum, and for following the board rules.  The “slower recovery” phrase you hi-lited from the link above may finally be indicative that the realization is seeping in at most businesses, some governments, but perhaps most importantly the work world & holiday travelers. Thanks again,  Doc Ruth

Appreciate these above kind comments and the nice follow-up from Doc Ruth.  Glad to be of help in sharing these various items from the news during the past months.  It was also nice to read from from Chrism23: "Let me wholeheartedly echo docruth's sentiment.  This has remained one of the most informative, well moderated and useful threads on cruise critic."  

As noted earlier, will have much more to share later today as at 10 am, there will be the quarterly financial update from the top officials of Royal Caribbean.  Top Wall Street experts will be asking various questions about "cash burn", liquidity, re-opening costs/timings, advanced bookings, CDC standards, etc., etc.  As noted, we are making progress and getting closer.  BUT, BUT, the details and timing will make a major difference as to how it will actually work.  AND, what type of future "cruise experience" that customers will seek and be willing to accept.  Great sharing about how certain future bookings are happening.  

From the Reuters newswire yesterday, they had this headline: “Americans may still need masks to fight COVID in 2022, Fauci says” with these highlights: “Americans may still need to wear masks in 2022 even as the country relaxes other restrictions to combat COVID-19, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, said on Sunday.  While daily infection rates are coming down dramatically, thousands of Americans still die every day from the virus, and less than 15% of the U.S. population has been vaccinated against it.  Fauci, Biden's top medical adviser, told CNN that the approaching deaths tally was 'a terribly historic milestone in the history of this country.' Asked if Americans should expect to still be wearing masks into next year, Fauci said: 'I think it is possible that that's the case,' adding that it depended on the level of the virus in communities and potential virus variants.  He told 'Fox News Sunday' that whether people in the United States will later need a booster shot depends on the path the South African variant takes.  While the currently available vaccines appear protective against the UK variant that has appeared across the country, they are less protective against the South African one, which so far is not dominant, he said.”

With the U.S. hitting the mark of 500,000 deaths from Covid-19 today, Dr. Fauci was on the various news programs this morning, also.  His overall message is that we are heading in the right direction, but that it will take longer than we would all desire in returning to some form of "normal".   

Full story at:

https://news.trust.org/item/20210221143523-j7r4j

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 37,374 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

From the Reuters newswire and MSN News this morning within the past hour, they had this headline: “Stuck in port, Royal Caribbean's quarterly loss cruises past $1 billion with these highlights: “Royal Caribbean Group lost $1 billion-plus in the fourth quarter as the coronavirus crisis kept its cruise ships ashore, but pointed to strong booking trends for 2022.  Cruise operators have been shoring up cash reserves by issuing new shares, selling assets or raising billions of dollars in debt over the last few months as the COVID-19 pandemic brought the industry to a virtual standstill.  With its ships not sailing, Royal Caribbean's total revenue for the quarter plunged to $34.1 million from $2.52 billion last year. Analysts had expected a revenue of $35.6 million, according to Refinitiv IBES data.  However, the company said bookings for the first half of 2022 were within historical ranges and at higher prices, underlining a strong demand for cruises.”

Here is more from their reporting: "Royal Caribbean, which posted a rare negative revenue last quarter, said it expected to incur a net loss for its first quarter and the 2021 fiscal year.  Several analysts expect Royal Caribbean and its peers Carnival Corp and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd to resume voyages gradually in the back half of this year, as governments in the United States and other major markets vaccinate thousands of people."

Will share more details after listening to RCL's 10 am Monday conference call with the Wall Street analysts. 

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/stuck-in-port-royal-caribbeans-quarterly-loss-cruises-past-1-billion/ar-BB1dUdvS

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 31,463 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Just completed Royal Caribbean’s one-hour Wall Street analyst briefing, including a lenthy Q&A period.  Overall, as a quick summary, there was a mix of BOTH optimism and cautious “vagueness” without providing any specific timings and future re-opening details.  

At the start, Royal Caribbean CEO Richard Fain noted this has been “a very intense period” as “all jobs and duties have changed and it has been done while working from home.”

They are clearly ready to “ramp up” and have been busy especially in dealing with various governments.  Fain indicated their company wants cruises to “be safer than a walk down Main Street.”  He especially highlighted recent vaccine progress as the big change since their last quarterly reporting.  Much of the early progress discussed as to what they have experienced with many Singapore examples from operating there since December.  There was mentioned that once cruising re-starts, an aspect will involve sailing to two of RCL’s private destinations.  

In cold numbers, their CFO noted a $1.1 billion loss for the quarter and a $3.9 billion loss for the full year.  From Barron’s, the specifics cited included a per share lost of: “$5.02 a share, in the fourth quarter on an adjusted basis versus a profit of $1.42 a share year earlier as revenue plunged to $34.1 million from $2.5 billion.”  

The CFO cited 2020 as their “toughest year” in history.  RCL has raised $9 billion plus in cash and cut back or delayed future capital spending.  Royal Caribbean has $4.4 billion in liquidity now with a $250-290 million a month “cash burn”.  
More financial specific can be seen at: 
https://www.barrons.com/articles/royal-caribbean-logs-another-huge-loss-as-sailing-timeline-remains-uncertain-51614010437

Bookings have been below historical levels. and they will not have a traditional wave booking period.  Currently, they have been limiting their marketing efforts and that 75% of their recent bookings have been new.  

There was no hiding or glossing over the reality that they have no idea when they will re-open and that it will be a varied process depending they area and rules where they will be operating.  They hinted that there might be a second ship to operate out of Singapore.  As to cruises cancelled, about half of those booked had wanted a cash refund.  RCL expects to have continued losses for upcoming quarter and for all of 2021.  

More details will follow in the next post.  Lots to share!!  Hope this is not too much info and background.  

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,423 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Terry, thanks so much for the information about the state of things from their meeting.

As others have already mentioned, your postings are always so detailed and appreciated👍

So in reality, he (Fain) really still has no answers as to when sailings will resume. 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, thanks so much for the information about the state of things from their meeting.  As others have already mentioned, your postings are always so detailed and appreciated.  So in reality, he (Fain) really still has no answers as to when sailings will resume

Lois is 100% correct in her great summary question.  See below for more of the precise specifics as to why and how that key information need cannot provided now.  Another response to that questions would be "It depends."  Don't be shy with any added follow-up questions, speculations, reactions, comments, desired clarifications, etc.    

Now, we shift to the various questions asked of CEO Richard Fain, the RCL CFO, etc.  Many good, smart and probing inquiries by these industry/finance experts!!  First was a creative question seeking to know more about a re-start timing involving how they have set-up fuel hedges and Alaska potentials?  BUT, their CFO ducked (for legitimate reasons as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) watches to make sure there is not too much stock price hype).  He avoided answering these pointed questions, but he freely admitted that they view this situation as “very fluid.”  Their CFO noted that “there is clear demand” and that these future bookings as this stage are “impressive.” Plus, he commented on a “lot of pent-up demand” and that for gaining more cash: “we have many options in the capital baskets.”

As to the future “cruise experience”, CEO Fain noted how vaccines have changed things, but that it will: "take months to get large numbers vaccinated and that we want to see how effective they are.”   Fain cited Israel’s example for their success and how the vaccines have worked “better than shown in the trials”.   Fair was strong in his viewpoint that “vaccine is the ultimate weapon.”.

The RCL CFO shared that the fleet has changed including having a more profitable mix of ships since they sold Azamara and two older ships.  They are liking their future new ships for their fuel economy, etc.  They noted that these new ships will improve their margins.

As to questions about summer cruises in Europe and mandating passengers to have vaccinations, there was expected vagueness, but they pointed to some type of a “hybrid between testing and vaccines.”  They expect the EU and UK to be somewhat similar to what CDC will require of the cruise lines.

From their Singapore sailings, RCL shared they have done 35,000 passengers there with high customer ratings.  Initially, they have sailed with at a 50% capacity.  They might go to a 65% capacity in the future.  There was mention that they have done more with technology during these Singapore sailings, including for lifeboat training, contact tracing, etc.  “Ground-breaking” is how they viewed what they have done/learned there and they noted the “landscape is changing”.

As to demographics with their future bookings, the fact that those 65+ have been getting vaccines has upped their deposits and schedulings.  They specifically cited Silversea has seeing an uplift as a part of this overall future booking trend.  There was an interesting mention that in the January-February 2021 period that bookings were up 30% compared to what happened during the November-December 2020 period.  Part of that was because late last year was such a “bad news” period with spiking Covid infections, deaths, etc.  Now, they RCL officials see much “more consumer confidence”.  As to timing from CDC on technical requirements, they expect them “any time soon”.  It was noted “we are literally waiting” and they think it will be happening soon.  It was shared that 250,000 have volunteered to do these test cruises.

They view it as “productive”  in dealing with the CDC.  Given that various indicators are moving in a positive manner, they concluded “we are getting closer and closer to good news.”   Given that there are "so many variables".  Fain cited these “dramatic drops" in the CDC indicators, but he was very careful to not predicted when it will happen.

As to the crew, they detailed doing a recent survey of 70,000 staff members around they world.  They received quick and solid response rates, including that 98% of the crew were in favor of doing the vaccine.  This includes that 4,000 staff members have already been vaccinated.

As to future debt capacity, they have $2 billion available now to tap and that their obligations due in 2021 total only $400 million.

As to where cruising might open up first in the coming months, they said they are having discussions around the world and that there will be many opportunities, including with sailings they are now doing out of Barbados.

The bottom line?:  There is solid optimism due to the current vaccine progress, but these RCL officials were very careful in not wanting to be predicting (or guessing) as to exactly when, where and how their many ships and brands will actually be able to re-open in some form closer to "normal".

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,437 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for keeping us up to date Terry. It appears that RCL have enough 'cash' to make it through the rest of 2021 with minimal or no cruising, or maybe even to next spring (2022) if it takes that long to vaccinate most of the world. Even though we are vaccinated I cannot see us wanting to go anywhere that hasn't got to somewhere like 75-80% of their population protected.