SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

On 9/2/2021 at 1:46 PM, Randyk47 said:

Not sure when and where but we do want to cruise again even if it is just in the Caribbean.  We’d like to return to Europe particularly the Baltic since I owe my wife her number one bucket list visit to St Petersburg but that’s not possible right now.   We were actually talking about our eight Med cruises yesterday and realized not one of our past itineraries would be possible right now. 

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from brimary, J.P., Mr. Banjo, Lois and Randy.  All of us are very hopeful and sincerely wishing for the best.  But, what will happen? And, when??    

From the Wall Street financial perspective, they valued all three of the cruise lines stocks down sharply in stock trading today.  Is bad or negative news coming or getting closer with the recent upswing in Covid cases?  

From the very experienced and savvy former USA Today travel expert Gene Sloan this afternoon on MSN News, they had this headline: “Cruisers, be warned: The window to get a pre-cruise COVID-19 test is shrinking with these highlights: Cruise lines are starting to shorten the window of time that you have to get a COVID-19 test before sailings out of U.S. ports.  Cruise giant Carnival on Thursday announced that, effective Sept. 13, most passengers would have to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than two days before sailings to board its vessels. That’s one day less than passengers currently have to get a test.  The new policy applies to passengers who are vaccinated for COVID-19, which is most Carnival passengers at the moment. Carnival is requiring all passengers to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine, with the exception of a small number of children under the age of 12, and teens and adults with a proven medical condition that doesn’t allow them to be vaccinated.

Here is more from his reporting: "Princess Cruises and MSC Cruises on Thursday also added a requirement that passengers show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within two days of boarding, though under slightly different terms.  The new policies come just days after the U.S. Centers for Disease and Prevention (CDC) revised its rules for cruise ships sailing in U.S. waters to include a requirement that fully vaccinated passengers get a COVID-19 test no more than two days before boarding. The CDC said the test could be either a PCR test or an antigen test.   The new two-day window for testing could present a challenge for some cruisers who live in areas of the U.S. where slots for COVID-19 tests are becoming harder to get, something that Carnival acknowledged in a posting Thursday on the part of its website devoted to testing requirements.   The line said it was planning to add mobile testing centers at its U.S. ports to serve as a backup for passengers who are unable to get a COVID-19 test in a timely manner at home."

For me, that "worry period" after you have left home and right before hopping to be boarding a cruise to see if you might pass their test, is not a positive potential to consider.  Right or wrong?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tips/cruisers-be-warned-the-window-to-get-a-pre-cruise-covid-19-test-is-shrinking/ar-AAO4zVW?ocid=BingNewsSearch

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 20,049 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

NETHERLANDS NOW REQUIRES PAX QUARANTINE MINIMUM FIVE DAYS EVEN IF VAXED

Note the new quarantine and testing requirement *even for vaxed pax* from "high risk" areas,( that includes U.S. per EU classifications.)

"The Netherlands has classified the U.S. as a “very high-risk area without a virus variant of concern”. If you are not vaccinated, we recommend that you verify that your reason for travel will continue to allow you to travel to The Netherlands. Fully vaccinated travelers will continue to be allowed to enter; unvaccinated travelers will only be allowed to enter for essential travel.

Effective September 4 (including departures from the US on September 3), all passengers must self-quarantine for 10 days upon arrival into Amsterdam, with a possibility to shorten the quarantine period by providing a negative COVID-19 test result after 5 days. All passengers, regardless of vaccination status, must also complete a Health Declaration Form AND a quarantine form before arrival.

Effective September 6 (including for departures from the US on September 5), all travelers, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 NAAT (PCR) test result taken at most 48 hours or negative antigen test result taken at most 24 hours before departure to Amsterdam. Children under 12 years of age are exempt"

( Delta airlines email for pax bound for Amsterdam)

You can connect on flights in Amsterdam without quarantine, however, if less than 12 hours.

still evolving . . . 

• Thanks 1

Hi Catlover, I almost missed that last sentence.......whewww..........I have stop at AMS for my connecting flight home---flying from Lisbon. My connection time is about 1.5 hours. I know I will be tested the day before I disembark the ship. I am staying in Lisbon for 1 night before flying home......hope this will all work out.

37 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

NETHERLANDS NOW REQUIRES PAX QUARANTINE MINIMUM FIVE DAYS EVEN IF VAXED   Note the new quarantine and testing requirement *even for vaxed pax* from "high risk" areas,( that includes U.S. per EU classifications.)  "The Netherlands has classified the U.S. as a “very high-risk area without a virus variant of concern”.  still evolving . . . 

Appreciate these above comments and follow-ups, especially about travel to and through the popular airport and ports in and around the Netherlands.  YES, we need to stay focused on the various issues and questions related directly to cruises, travel, etc.  

From a news story this morning, they had this headline: “New normal: Israel's health expert says fourth shot of Covid vaccine needed” with these highlights: Israel has been at the top of the game since the coronavirus pandemic began. The country has taken every possible step and has been applauded for being able to keep Covid under control.  While the world struggles to complete two doses of vaccination for all eligible students, Israel’s coronavirus czar, Salman Zarka, has hinted towards a fourth dose of Covid vaccine.  Israel has started administering booster shot of coronavirus to all citizens. The decision was taken even though the World Health Organization (WHO) has urged countries not to start the booster programme till all other nations have been able to vaccinate at least the vulnerable people.  However, this may not be the end of the vaccines, Zarka claims. He said that as more variants are being identified and Delta variant is spreading at an alarming speed, cases, hospitalisation and Covid-related deaths are expected to rise.

As we head into the later fall and hopefully more cruise sailing re-starts, what happens as to whether that third (or fourth?) BOOSTER SHOT will become a new mandate by cruise lines and/or countries in December or January??  Any good guesses, specific news or insights??

Full story at:

https://www.wionews.com/world/new-normal-israels-health-expert-says-fourth-shot-of-covid-vaccine-needed-410904

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,920 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Thanks 1

Hi Terry,........hope everyone reads your sentence........stay focused............

Otherwise, this is going to get way off topic........it has been a fantastic thread with all your good information.  Those last few replies are going to get us all in trouble😥 (including mine)........

On 9/2/2021 at 8:26 AM, Lois R said:

I plan on sailing next month (unless SS cancels it) I have no plans to pull back on my upcoming sailings.  I felt quite safe on my Moon and Muse cruises and it felt SO GOOD to sail again😃

You are wise to get in as many cruises as possible, given the uncertainty of near future cruising.  Though I just  returned from Iceland 8/6, on the Crystal Endeavor, but for DH medical issues I would be ready ro sail again now!

4 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

You are wise to get in as many cruises as possible, given the uncertainty of near future cruising.  Though I just  returned from Iceland 8/6, on the Crystal Endeavor, but for DH medical issues I would be ready ro sail again now!

How was Iceland? I know folks seem to love it there but I have never felt a calling towards it. 

15 minutes ago, Lois R said:

How was Iceland? I know folks seem to love it there but I have never felt a calling towards it. 

It is a rugged, hauntingly beautiful country.  Here are some of DH's shots ( there are more on my blog).

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/88b22d88a1f743778d0fd57add48aaba

BTW what cruise are you on next month on SS?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

It is a rugged, hauntingly beautiful country.  Here are some of DH's shots ( there are more on my blog).

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/88b22d88a1f743778d0fd57add48aaba

BTW what cruise are you on next month on SS?

Sailing on Spirit for 12 nights out of Lisbon😀.....my first time visiting that part of Europe. I certainly hope she is able to go!  Thanks for the photos! WOW.....beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Stunning shots catlover54, thank you! We are planning to go to Iceland in 2026 for the eclipse, assuming we will be allowed to.

Was also planning to go to the Netherlands reasonably soon, but that seems to be out, huh! 

Have any of you any idea when the USA will let us Brits in?

Hi, no clue about when those restrictions will be lifted. Sorry!

3 hours ago, boccenana said:

What beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Here are some of DH's shots

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

but for DH medical issues

I second that emotion boccenana, those photos are beautiful.  Hoping your DH navigates through those medical issues quickly so we can see more of the same,  Crystal huh?  suites look pretty nice 🙂!  We're pretty dedicated to Silversea though 👼

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

this is going to get way off topic

uh oh, Lois has a point...

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 9:40 AM, CanadianKate said:

In Canada, headlines are showing up that many of us can't cruise because we aren't considered fully vaccinated by the cruise lines due to vaccine mixing. The original headlines on Friday were due to an RCL blog post and change to their website which has removed the offending information but tweets say it is only removed while they consider the matter. 

In Canada, in order to fully vaccinate as many people and to reduce the risk of VITT in those who had started with AZ, Moderna and Pfizer were acceptable second doses for all, no matter one's first dose. 

Combined with a delay in Pfizer shipments and the prioritization of that vaccine for 12 - 17 year olds since it is the only one approved for that age range, the majority of people in Ontario at least, responded to the province's request to get fully vaccinated as fast as possible by accepting whatever mRNA was offered to you. 

Those who did now are unable to cruise. At least some days. Then rules are removed. Then put in place again. 

Third shots are not an option in Ontario, we are considered fully vaccinated. Period. No third shot until approved boosters are required some time in the future. 

There are many Canadian news stories at the moment but here's the Cruise Critic news story on it, as well as a CTV new story link. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/some-cruise-lines-not-accepting-passengers-with-mixed-covid-19-vaccinations-1.5514985

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6302/

Are there any cruise lines that are accepting mixed dose individuals as fully vaccinated? 

On 9/5/2021 at 5:20 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you all - it is all so frustrating. We here are all having holidays in the UK, which is very nice, but so crowded! (As there are a lot of us on a small island).

YES!!  Super excellent visuals from Catlover54 from California of sights and sites in scenic Iceland.  Looks very nice and interesting.  Have not been there, yet, but it is on our future "to-do" list.

From the Wall Street Journal  this morning, they had this headline: Travel and Covid-19 Testing: What to Know if You’re Flying or Taking a Cruisewithin sub-headline: "Some at-home tests are permitted, but leave yourself plenty of time to test before your trip.”

Here are some of the story highlights: More travel destinations are now requiring travelers to present negative Covid-19 tests for entry, even those who are fully vaccinated. The changes are adding fresh complexity to an already-confounding time for travel.   Travelers are struggling to both keep up with changing test guidelines and find acceptable tests that will provide results by the time they need to fly.   After the European Union removed the U.S. from its “safe” list of countries, some member nations began imposing new rules for travelers. Italy, for example, now requires fully vaccinated travelers to submit a negative test taken within 72 hours of arrival in the country.  And beginning Sept. 13, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will require fully vaccinated cruise passengers to submit proof of a negative Covid-19 test taken within two days of boarding a ship.  'Things change daily,' says TA Susan Peavey, in Marshfield, Mass. Travelers have to understand each country’s rules and regulations, she says, and in some cases additional requirements at destinations, such as resorts that are now requiring proof of vaccination.  Finding the correct tests within the allowed time frame is proving challenging. In some areas of the country, Covid-19 tests are harder to come by, and acceptable at-home tests can be costly.

Here are more details of their tips and suggestions: "Some countries, such as Canada and Anguilla, don’t accept antigen tests. Travelers will need to look closely at each country’s specific requirements. Travel agents suggest doing a broad search for testing locations if local pharmacies are booked up. Because of the tightened timing for tests, some cruise lines are offering passengers options. Royal Caribbean International now sells at-home test kits, which can be ordered online and cost $69.99 for a pack of two and $99.99 for a pack of three.  If you plan ahead, you can also save on testing costs. Last month, Cortney Buckelew, who works as an operations manager, scheduled antigen tests at a private walk-in clinic near her home in Land O’ Lakes, Fla., before her Royal Caribbean cruise, which left Saturday. The tests would cost $100 each for her and her husband. The couple found a county testing site and got free rapid antigen tests, saving them $200.  Travelers must also provide a negative test to re-enter the U.S. by air; those tests must be taken no more than three days before boarding a plane home. "

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/travel-and-covid-19-testing-what-to-know-if-youre-flying-or-taking-a-cruise-11631458800

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 91,821 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Thanks 2

From CNN cable news and MSN News this morning, they had this headline: “What it's like to sail on a 'cruise to nowhere' ” with these highlights: “While the possibility of traveling abroad is slowly returning to the US and Europe, movement in and out of Hong Kong -- once Asia's biggest international hub -- remains at a near-total halt.  As the semi-autonomous region pursues a zero-Covid policy, repeated attempts to establish travel corridors with neighboring countries have been abandoned, and most incoming travelers face up to three weeks of self-funded hotel quarantine. Before the pandemic, Hong Kongers were among the world's most well-traveled people.  Dream Cruises has come up with a fitting alternative vacation option -- a voyage with no destination, taking passengers in a big loop. Journeys last for either two or three nights. Cruising may not be for everyone, but at a time when any other option would require quarantine, it seems a lot more attractive.  For a vessel that's usually a vehicle to a different destination, rather than being the destination itself, the Genting Dream did a decent job of offering enough activities to keep its temporary residents -- mostly older adults, with a few families and children -- occupied throughout the cruise.   Booking for pool access was only casually enforced, and while the hot tubs were closed, sun loungers and sofas by the deck bars were freely available. Coming from one of the most densely populated cities in the world, it was oddly freeing to look out over the open water and see nothing but distant container ships, or watch the sun set below a skyscraper-free horizon.”

Did not realize that things in Hong Kong were still this tight and shut-down.  We super enjoyed this famed city for four days in 2018 before doing Vietnam and SE Asia.   

Coming from the Midwest, not sure that just doing a "Cruise to Nowhere" would rank that high on my priority list.  The itinerary and great, unique ports are still my top priorities for doing cruises!!

This thread is now over 121,000 views.  Appreciate all those who have dropped by and especially for those who have added good info, raised important questions, etc.  Keep it coming!!

For my tasteFull story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/what-its-like-to-sail-on-a-cruise-to-nowhere/ar-AAOlOkF?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,815 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

From the Wall street Journal article just linked and posted, here was the nice graphic used to illustrate this comprehensive story.  Does this bring back nice memories from the "good, old days" in Venice?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1989398455_ScreenShot2021-09-12at3_19_54PM.thumb.png.4df4de96a56e983512ab5cff7eb1553f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/29/2021 at 9:38 PM, jpalbny said:

We will probably bring our wine checks and try to bring a case home. I can't find them around here and they are supposed to be really good, so I figured we'd go to the source!

I have tried a few wines from Sardinia as our favourite Italian restaurant had a chef/owner from Sardinia.After a while the red was always a Monica after all everyone needs a monica in their life.

Fringe Wine: Monica - Sardinia, Italy

• Like 3

18 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From CNN cable news and MSN News this morning, they had this headline: “What it's like to sail on a 'cruise to nowhere' ” with these highlights: “While the possibility of traveling abroad is slowly returning to the US and Europe, movement in and out of Hong Kong -- once Asia's biggest international hub -- remains at a near-total halt.  As the semi-autonomous region pursues a zero-Covid policy, repeated attempts to establish travel corridors with neighboring countries have been abandoned, and most incoming travelers face up to three weeks of self-funded hotel quarantine. Before the pandemic, Hong Kongers were among the world's most well-traveled people.  Dream Cruises has come up with a fitting alternative vacation option -- a voyage with no destination, taking passengers in a big loop. Journeys last for either two or three nights. Cruising may not be for everyone, but at a time when any other option would require quarantine, it seems a lot more attractive.  For a vessel that's usually a vehicle to a different destination, rather than being the destination itself, the Genting Dream did a decent job of offering enough activities to keep its temporary residents -- mostly older adults, with a few families and children -- occupied throughout the cruise.   Booking for pool access was only casually enforced, and while the hot tubs were closed, sun loungers and sofas by the deck bars were freely available. Coming from one of the most densely populated cities in the world, it was oddly freeing to look out over the open water and see nothing but distant container ships, or watch the sun set below a skyscraper-free horizon.”

Did not realize that things in Hong Kong were still this tight and shut-down.  We super enjoyed this famed city for four days in 2018 before doing Vietnam and SE Asia.   

Coming from the Midwest, not sure that just doing a "Cruise to Nowhere" would rank that high on my priority list.  The itinerary and great, unique ports are still my top priorities for doing cruises!!

This thread is now over 121,000 views.  Appreciate all those who have dropped by and especially for those who have added good info, raised important questions, etc.  Keep it coming!!

For my tasteFull story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/what-its-like-to-sail-on-a-cruise-to-nowhere/ar-AAOlOkF?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,815 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

From the Wall street Journal article just linked and posted, here was the nice graphic used to illustrate this comprehensive story.  Does this bring back nice memories from the "good, old days" in Venice?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1989398455_ScreenShot2021-09-12at3_19_54PM.thumb.png.4df4de96a56e983512ab5cff7eb1553f.png

Thanks Terry, for all you do to keep us informed.  Although I have been posting less and less, I am still keeping up with my reading.  Mrs Banjo and I are still hoping that cruises we have booked for March and May will sail with some relief from the current testing, masking and covid passport requirements.  All of these requirements are taking much of the fun out of travel and holding us back from cruising right now. We are seriously considering canceling both cruises and just remain in the US for another year or so, or until the madness subsides.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, crusinbanjo said:

Thanks Terry, for all you do to keep us informed.  Although I have been posting less and less, I am still keeping up with my reading.  Mrs Banjo and I are still hoping that cruises we have booked for March and May will sail with some relief from the current testing, masking and covid passport requirements. 

Appreciate these nice comments and the follow-up from Mr. Banjo.  YES, we are still hoping for the best by early 2022 so that we can sail again.  Right now in Central Ohio and for other parts of our country, cases are up, UP and hospitals/ICU's are nearly at capacity.  Rationing health care and/or delaying elective surgeries is not good.  Glad last month that I had hip replacement surgery and have been recovering well.  Nearly 100% now.     

From Forbes Magazine this morning, they had this headline: “These Caribbean Islands Are On The CDC’s ‘Do Not Travel’ List—Here’s How Cruise Lines Navigate Covid’s Murky Waters” with these highlights: “It’s getting harder to find a Caribbean cruise itinerary that doesn’t include a stop on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s 'Do Not Travel' list. Over the past few weeks, the list of popular Caribbean cruise ports given the CDC’s dreaded Level 4 designation has ballooned.  Countries with a Level 4 travel health notice are deemed to have a 'very high risk' of Covid-19 with a 'Do Not Travel' recommendation for Americans.  The Caribbean islands at Level 4 now include: Aruba, the Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, Curacao, Dominica, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Puerto Rico, St. Barts, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Martin/Sint Maarten and the U.S. Virgin Islands.   It’s an understatement to say that cruise lines and Caribbean nations share a common interest in navigating the murky waters of the Covid pandemic together. The North American cruise market is dominated by the easily accessible Caribbean, Bahamas, and Bermuda.  Likewise, cruising plays an outsized and growing role in the region’s tourism. In 2019, nearly 12 million people visited the Caribbean on a cruise ship, roughly double the 6.2 million recorded in 2010.

Interesting challenges with these location under pressure in the Caribbean.  There are some of these locations where we would like visit in early 2022.  Will we be able to go to these islands???

Full story at

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/09/17/caribbean-cruise-cdc-do-not-travel-list/?sh=360d5a015964

:

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,716 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these nice comments and the follow-up from Mr. Banjo.  YES, we are still hoping for the best by early 2022 so that we can sail again.  Right now in Central Ohio and for other parts of our country, cases are up, UP and hospitals/ICU's are nearly at capacity.  Rationing health care and/or delaying elective surgeries is not good.  Glad last month that I had hip replacement surgery and have been recovering well.  Nearly 100% now.     

Glad the hip replacement went well.  Since my last surgery, knee replacement, I am not looking forward to more for my hips, but it may be unavoidable.  Keep up the great work!

Hi Banjo and Mrs.....nice to see you again🙂

Terry, I am happy to hear you are doing well! I didn't realize you had a hip replacement but glad to know you almost back to 100%😀

5 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Glad the hip replacement went well.  Since my last surgery, knee replacement, I am not looking forward to more for my hips, but it may be unavoidable.  Keep up the great work!

Hi Terry,  Glad you are back.  I just had my knee replaced and am going to get the other one done next month.  Its hard getting old.  If it was your knee I could offer a world of advice.  Hips, not except I am sure they are next in my body reconstruction.  cheers.  chris

• Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, TLCOhio said:

Will we be able to go to these islands???

Full story at

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/09/17/caribbean-cruise-cdc-do-not-travel-list/?sh=360d5a015964

:

Hi Terry,

Nice to see you back!

All of the Covid developments aside, Delta, Mu, Iota, etc, I’ve been thinking a lot about how travelers might change their habits in these times. Similar to the upswing in the last couple of decades in cruise traffic, as cruises became a popular, and very affordable vacation choice.

I think the land destinations that have good tourist infrastructure (think nice accommodations, good food and fun activities), and a high degree of safety, both heath and actual physical security will take a lot of the business from the lines. The ship may no longer be the destination.

Why? Folks are willing to tolerate all this nonsense with testing, and all the other boarding procedures, due to Covid for now, but not forever. It’s not fun to run around testing or checking off boxes, just so you can get some rest and relaxation.

In the long run, folks may gravitate to simpler options, which might be domestic land vacations, or a direct flights to destinations with a stays in all-inclusive vacation properties. It seems problematic that there will be a return to the old days anytime soon.

So more vaccinations, more testing, new health certifications before boarding, after boarding, and possibly at every stop does not make for a stress-free vacation. So my question is, will folks switch their preferred vacations from cruises to alternatives. Post, and let’s discuss what folks might be thinking for the future.

Cheers, Doc Ruth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, docruth said:

Hi Terry,

Nice to see you back!

All of the Covid developments aside, Delta, Mu, Iota, etc, I’ve been thinking a lot about how travelers might change their habits in these times. Similar to the upswing in the last couple of decades in cruise traffic, as cruises became a popular, and very affordable vacation choice.

I think the land destinations that have good tourist infrastructure (think nice accommodations, good food and fun activities), and a high degree of safety, both heath and actual physical security will take a lot of the business from the lines. The ship may no longer be the destination.

Why? Folks are willing to tolerate all this nonsense with testing, and all the other boarding procedures, due to Covid for now, but not forever. It’s not fun to run around testing or checking off boxes, just so you can get some rest and relaxation.

In the long run, folks may gravitate to simpler options, which might be domestic land vacations, or a direct flights to destinations with a stays in all-inclusive vacation properties. It seems problematic that there will be a return to the old days anytime soon.

So more vaccinations, more testing, new health certifications before boarding, after boarding, and possibly at every stop does not make for a stress-free vacation. So my question is, will folks switch their preferred vacations from cruises to alternatives. Post, and let’s discuss what folks might be thinking for the future.

Cheers, Doc Ruth

It’s an interesting discussion.  I really don’t see full throttled festive cruising until

all this testing, vac mandates, restrictions, etc are well behind us.  There will always our intrepid cruisers who will sail undeterred by all this.  Best to them all.  I’m sure they are having a great time.  For us, a half empty ship with people wearing masks and being restricted to bubble excursions & the uncertainty of testing positive while in a foreign country has no appeal.  Until the US stops threatening to keep us out of our own country, we & the people we cruise with will wait it out.  I feel bad for the cruise industry as they are powerless in all this.  We continue to explore our beautiful country on land trips.  We will be watching developments but we are way too independent to cruise under these restrictions.  Too bad for us, as our three cruises on Seabourn & Silverseas  were the height of fun with full ships, lots of deck parties & sail always, full festive restaurants with staff smiles & fun exploring.  We miss it & are praying things get back to normal sooner rather than later.  This is in no way a criticism of our intrepid cruisers, but just a discussion on the question presented by DocRuth.  It will be interesting to watch the numbers as time goes by. 

Edited by cece50
  • Thanks 1