We have a  Transatlantic cruise booked next spring. Flight info is not available yet. What are your thoughts and experiences with Celebrity Air? We would be flying home from Rome to RDU. Thanks for any help!!

5 minutes ago, bluecruisin said:

We have a  Transatlantic cruise booked next spring. Flight info is not available yet. What are your thoughts and experiences with Celebrity Air? We would be flying home from Rome to RDU. Thanks for any help!!

When the fares open up you need to compare the choice air and the airline prices. For international flights always use choice air or miles. Normally choice air is cheaper.  We book business just for comfort. You don't have to pay for the airfare until the cruise fare due date so you can price adjust if it goes down. Had a cruise canceled in March and got a full refund on airfare. To early to know what flights will look like next year but have flown American to Charlotte several times to transfer home.

I've been using it the past few cruises.

I've found the airfares to be at least as good as what I can find elsewhere, generally better.  Obviously, airfares vary up and down over time...but I check in occasionally.  On my cruise last summer (LAX-AMS RT), at one point, early on, I found a few cheaper deals on kayak...but the times were awful--like 18 hour overnight layovers at Heathrow.  With comparable decent flights, I was consistently at about $300 pp ahead.

And, the best part now is that, with Choice Air, I get refundable fares with no payment until final cruise payment...MUCH better.

For my cruises this summer--which I believe are about to be cancelled--I will get a full cash refund under the terms with Celebrity Choice Air.

I just booked my air for my cruise next April (Yes, OVER 330 days ahead) with Choice Air--LAX to Tokyo (NRT) for just $368 pp (one way, we're returning on a Transpacific)...Refundable rate, not payable until final cruise payment...

When you get closer as others said take a look.  I have found about 50/50 cheaper with Cruise Air.  The good part of booking WAS - who knows going forward - refundable with Cruise Air.

Having booked ChoiceAir about a dozen times I can definitely say that for one-way long haul it was by far the best source.  On our last 2 spring and fall crossings, however, their OW fares were WAY more expensive than what we did on our own. 

And for a OW from Dubai to JFK just a bit over a month ago, almost 5 times the price we paid.

When our cruise got cancelled when we were in the middle of a back to back,  I sure was glad I had Celebrity Air.  While others were frantically trying to figure out how to get home, Celebrity took care of things and I didn't have to deal with cancellation fees, loss of airfare when switched to a different airline, etc.  

On 5/3/2020 at 9:57 AM, ozark74 said:

When the fares open up you need to compare the choice air and the airline prices. For international flights always use choice air or miles. Normally choice air is cheaper.  We book business just for comfort. You don't have to pay for the airfare until the cruise fare due date so you can price adjust if it goes down. Had a cruise canceled in March and got a full refund on airfare. To early to know what flights will look like next year but have flown American to Charlotte several times to transfer home.

Using miles is often not a very good value; it depends on both how many miles the airline wants vs. the cash price.  Be aware that until the airfare is paid for, the ticket hasn't actually been purchased from the airline so the itinerary could change.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:15 PM, ericosmith said:

When our cruise got cancelled when we were in the middle of a back to back,  I sure was glad I had Celebrity Air.  While others were frantically trying to figure out how to get home, Celebrity took care of things and I didn't have to deal with cancellation fees, loss of airfare when switched to a different airline, etc.  

I Am guessing that you were very happy to not have direct 'control' over your airline reservation, as those who eschew using CA for???

bon voyage

On 5/3/2020 at 9:19 AM, ECCruise said:

Having booked ChoiceAir about a dozen times I can definitely say that for one-way long haul it was by far the best source.  On our last 2 spring and fall crossings, however, their OW fares were WAY more expensive than what we did on our own. 

And for a OW from Dubai to JFK just a bit over a month ago, almost 5 times the price we paid.

We have not used Celebrity Air on a one-way international ticket, as we have not taken a repositioning cruise.  I have had about 50-50 luck with Celebrity Air on other cruises (meaning, 50% of the time they are offering the same fares I could book myself, and the other 50% of the time they have significantly better fares).  But I am just writing to underscore ECCruise's point: on an international one-way flight, for whatever reason, there is still a hefty "penalty" for buying a one-way ticket (whereas that has essentially disappeared on domestic tickets).  As a result, Celebrity Air, through its contracts, is reputed to have one-way international fares that just can't be beat.

Tom & Judy

Here is a question, if Royal were to declare bankruptcy (not saying they will.. just that NCLs discussion of this has me thinkgin) and you booked cruise AND airfare directly with the cruise line. What are the odds of getting your money back for the cruise and airfare? Anyone have any educated thoughts on this? Where do customers stand in terms of priority vs vendors etc? I know shareholders are out of luck, but not sure what happens to passengers... Does anyone know if the travelers insurance provided by the cruise line covers bankruptcy? I always use an independent travel insurance... no so much for bankruptcy concerns ... but more for coverage issues. Anyway... before I consider another cruise, I would like to have an idea on the level of risk (other than disease) that I might be taking. Don't mean to be negative, but it is something I need to consider... I have one cruise booked...but still have months to go before final payment and the deposit was only $200..

13 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am guessing that you were very happy to not have direct 'control' over your airline reservation, as those who eschew using CA for???

Yes, although they were perfectly willing to book what I requested.  They booked my last minute return on Air New Zealand so I could keep my premium economy seats.  Unfortunately the transfer was through Auckland which shut down to transit passengers as I was next in line to check in.  The remaining choices weren't so great but they got me home without any additional expense.

have them ticket your flight right away. I ran into a situation where celebrity didnt ticket the flight and the airline sold my seat. So my family got bumped off our flight. You might have to pay for it right away however.

We booked Choice Air for our trip to Asia in March 2020. Initially, Montreal-Hong Kong, Shanghai-Montreal.

When the virus showed its ugly head, our cruise itinerary was changed to depart from Tokyo and end in Singapore. Choice Air changed our flights, no issues and no additional costs. A few weeks later, our cruise was cancelled and our flights were completely refunded. We were very, very pleased having booked via Choice Air and with the quality of the service provided!

Regarding seat price: In Canada, our airline did not participate for our flights in the program book now, pay later. We had to pay our flights at booking time. The price paid via Choice Air matched the price available directly with the airline. The available flight schedule via Choice Air was a bit more limited than flights available directly with the airline.

Seat selection: The pro on paying the seats right away, seat selection was available right away but could not be made via Choice Air. We had to contact the airline directly. On these boards, it was mentioned that seat selection could not be made until the fares were paid, for people choosing the option to only pay the flights at final payment date. 

In short, I have booked flights using Aeroplan points in the past or booking flights directly with the airline... Not anymore. The Asian trip was our first experience with Choice Air. I will definitely book future flights for cruises via Choice Air.... 

We also need to hear about the nightmares some passengers have had with CA to make this thread  a bit more balanced.

They have posted in a few old threads, yet I hope they return to this new one to let all know about challenges they experienced and the reason they will not use CA again.

bon voyage