What do you miss most about not cruising ?

I miss everything about cruising.

And I hate this lockdown passionately but not as much as I hate all the look at me wannabes doing their sickeningly sweet videos.

Bring back cruises and hurry up about it.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:03 PM, ldubs said:

Aw, good point! haha.  The Sears & Roebuck store in Modesto had one of those elevator operators.  That was big time for us.  

You know I remember my first escalator ride.  It was at some large department store in San Francisco.  Pretty big deal for a young farm kid.  

My first escalator ride was in Bloomingdales at L exington Ave. and 59th. St. In NY.  I broke away from my mom and took it up to the shoe department and hung out there so I could check out my foot bones in the flouroscope - surprised my toes didn’t fall off from overexposure.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I have no idea what that means. ???

Ah. Apologies. On the news the constant stream of people doing stuff in lockdown usually on youtube.  Does my head in.

Bring back cruising immediately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Ah. Apologies. On the news the constant stream of people doing stuff in lockdown usually on youtube.  Does my head in.

Bring back cruising immediately.

Gratefully I seem to have missed that. But our tv rarely comes on until the local news and then the national news in the evening.

40 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Having to deal with everyday reality...

We're going away - less than an hour drive - for two nights this weekend in our RV and will escape reality.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

My first escalator ride was in Bloomingdales at L exington Ave. and 59th. St. In NY.  I broke away from my mom and took it up to the shoe department and hung out there so I could check out my foot bones in the flouroscope - surprised my toes didn’t fall off from overexposure.

I remember the fluoroscope in shoe stores but not Bloomingdales.If you bought a pair of shoes they gave you an 1878 silver dollar.

escalator on a ship.......

only one i have seen was on a fast RollOnRollOff ferry  it was just one to take passengers from dock level to the main public  area up a couple of decks and would go the other way to get people off ( I know they could use s slide lol )

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
spelling due to fat fingers

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Had to be tough growing up back in the good old days.  Haha

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

escalator on a ship.......

only one i have seen was on a fast RollOnRollOff ferry  it was just one to take passengers from dock level to the main public  area up a couple of decks and would go the other way to get people off ( I know they could use s slide lol )

Cheers Don

I've seen them on cruise ships in the service areas next to MDRs.  For running food up/down. Not for passenger use.  

I miss the sail-in and sail-out... I've spent hours on freezing ferries just to watch the ports draw close or disappear... 

I used to visit Glasgow and Edinburgh a lot, but arriving by train or car isn't spectacular... but sailing up the Firths and out again show me a whole different city. Once I missed food and entertainment for hours, watching out for the diving gannets from Bass Rock, in the Firth of Forth out of Edinburgh.

Also, as one who can hardly park a bike, never mind a car, I always marvel at the way these vast hulks can park in such limited space... I'd need a whole empty harbour. 😁

Edited by jocap
typo and old age.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1