Jump to content

Carnival cruise line gradual restart of North American cruises


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I also believe that the changes that will be needed to cruise will significantly change the cruise experience.  Here are just some, yet I still can't figure out how they would socially distance crew and we know that crew can spread the virus.

 

  • The number of passengers will have to be significantly reduced,
  • No more dropping your luggage off at ship side - you need to carry your luggage on board yourself meaning embarkation and screening will take a lot longer.  Same at the end of the cruise you have to take your luggage with you,
  • Set embarkation times to arrive at the ship so as to discourage those long line ups and large crowds waiting to board,
  • No elevator use permitted as it is almost impossible to physically distance in them and to sanitize after every use (I had read that many companies in China have shut down their elevators and they must use the stairs),
  • Many on board amenities would either be totally closed or significantly changed like pools, hot tubs, gyms, and walks on the promenade deck,
  • Don't know how they would deal with passengers and those long, skinny hallways.  They may need to assign crew on each end of each hallway to direct people,
  • No or very limited cabin cleaning during the cruise.  Many hotels are still operating and some others are releasing their plans when they open and you have to make your own bed and clean your own bathroom,
  • Set time for dining throughout the entire ship.  The buffet could be shut down permanently and the buffet dining tables reconfigured so it works like a restaurant,
  • Set times for passengers to disembark at ports.  Ports requiring tenders may be eliminated all together, and set times to return at ports to discourage large crowds from returning at the same time,
  • Temperature screening and other health screens at least every day and every time you leave and board the ship at ports,
  • Ports limiting the number and times of ships able to dock at a time to discourage over-crowding,
  • A lot less lounging chairs throughout the ship.  Expect a lot less lounging chairs at the pools,
  • Dining venues like the pizza and the Dive In will change to a sit down restaurant.  No more buzzers to wait for your order,
  • Self-service of any type essentially eliminated.  No grabbing water, coffee, or even a fork anymore,
  • Seating in all bars and nightclubs will have to be limited and spaced far apart,
  • Shops and casinos will have to limit the number of people who can enter at any one time,
  • Reservations for shows and entertainment venues to control groups,
  • All un-necessary items removed from cabin like paper, pens, flower vases, fruit baskets,
  • All activities onboard will be restricted by passenger numbers to discourage groups,
  • No more tours of the ship like galley or bridge tours,
  • Had washing stations installed everywhere on the ships

If it is going to be like this, what is the point of going anyway. It would not be enjoyable. I certainly would not pay to take a cruise under conditions like this.

 

I am afraid that the gig is up for cruising vacations as we have known them. The financial model with the crews from the underdeveloped countries who work for low pay that made the cruises affordable for a lot of people and profitable for the industry and having ships flagged to avoid regulations and taxes is also no longer viable. An effective vaccine together with powerful medication to fight the virus and cure the patients will also be needed to entice people aboard and to get ports to allow ships to visit. How far off is that? Mask-wearing is another issue for many people.

Edited by TexasBrit
corrections
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that Carnival is pretty desperate. Bad timing as some states open up even as their epidemic rages on...

 

"Small towns and rural hospitals brace for their coronavirus peak, which could be weeks away...

 

The area now has more than 1,000 cases of Covid-19 as of Friday, the most of any county in Nebraska. The state’s most-populated county where Omaha is located has nine times the number of people of Hall County but nearly half the amount of cases, according to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services."

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/03/small-towns-and-rural-hospitals-brace-for-their-coronavirus-peak-which-could-be-weeks-away.html

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnival is acting like they have a say in all this. No Cruise Line is going to be going anywhere until the governments of these countries they want to use say so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read all the doom and gloom, I think I'll wait and make decisions regarding our 12/2020, 02/2021 & 03/2021 cruises until actual plans are laid out by the cruise lines, if the cruises actually take place and not just opinions and ideas. Guess that still is my right especially having spent 30+ years as an ER/Trauma RN and having survived: HIV epidemic, Zika epidemic, Ebola epidemic, annual flu epidemic and H1N1 pandemic which seems to have been forgotten. I am glad, however, that in 2020 the ongoing importance of serious hand washing seems to been discovered by many. Be safe!

Edited by PROCRUISE
Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Marine Traffic, Nieuw Statendam is on her way from Port Everglades due to arrive in The Netherlands 12 May.  That's a long way to go if HAL knows the cruises in Europe won't be happening.

 

We are booked on a cruise out of Amsterdam to Norway departing 5 July and do not want to be on board when/if she sails.  So, like others, we are waiting (and hoping) for the 'no cruise ban' to be extended.  Bad enough for those who have cancelled and then have to wait several months for a refund, but if necessary we'll take the hit of loss of all money rather than be cooped up with thousands of others in a big bug incubator.   It's unthinkable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I also believe that the changes that will be needed to cruise will significantly change the cruise experience.  Here are just some, yet I still can't figure out how they would socially distance crew and we know that crew can spread the virus.

 

  • The number of passengers will have to be significantly reduced,
  • No more dropping your luggage off at ship side - you need to carry your luggage on board yourself meaning embarkation and screening will take a lot longer.  Same at the end of the cruise you have to take your luggage with you,
  • Set embarkation times to arrive at the ship so as to discourage those long line ups and large crowds waiting to board,
  • No elevator use permitted as it is almost impossible to physically distance in them and to sanitize after every use (I had read that many companies in China have shut down their elevators and they must use the stairs),
  • Many on board amenities would either be totally closed or significantly changed like pools, hot tubs, gyms, and walks on the promenade deck,
  • Don't know how they would deal with passengers and those long, skinny hallways.  They may need to assign crew on each end of each hallway to direct people,
  • No or very limited cabin cleaning during the cruise.  Many hotels are still operating and some others are releasing their plans when they open and you have to make your own bed and clean your own bathroom,
  • Set time for dining throughout the entire ship.  The buffet could be shut down permanently and the buffet dining tables reconfigured so it works like a restaurant,
  • Set times for passengers to disembark at ports.  Ports requiring tenders may be eliminated all together, and set times to return at ports to discourage large crowds from returning at the same time,
  • Temperature screening and other health screens at least every day and every time you leave and board the ship at ports,
  • Ports limiting the number and times of ships able to dock at a time to discourage over-crowding,
  • A lot less lounging chairs throughout the ship.  Expect a lot less lounging chairs at the pools,
  • Dining venues like the pizza and the Dive In will change to a sit down restaurant.  No more buzzers to wait for your order,
  • Self-service of any type essentially eliminated.  No grabbing water, coffee, or even a fork anymore,
  • Seating in all bars and nightclubs will have to be limited and spaced far apart,
  • Shops and casinos will have to limit the number of people who can enter at any one time,
  • Reservations for shows and entertainment venues to control groups,
  • All un-necessary items removed from cabin like paper, pens, flower vases, fruit baskets,
  • All activities onboard will be restricted by passenger numbers to discourage groups,
  • No more tours of the ship like galley or bridge tours,
  • Had washing stations installed everywhere on the ships

Count us out in this scenario.  Many of these may indeed happen.  If so it will be interesting to see how many people choose to board a ship.

 

I keep saying social distancing will never work on a ship.  But under conditions like this they might only be at 10% occupancy with diehard cruisers, so maybe it could.  Of course it wouldn't last too long as the cruise lines would be losing money....

Edited by bouhunter
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

...and today Norwegian Cruise Lines says there’s ‘substantial doubt’ about its ability to continue as a ‘going concern’...

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/norwegian-cruise-line-says-theres-substantial-doubt-about-its-ability-to-continue-as-a-going-concern.html

Be a bit cautious of this news as it came from a stock and bond offering, which the company makes these statements to cover their backsides.  If the stock deal is sucessful, likely the stock will move up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Be a bit cautious of this news as it came from a stock and bond offering, which the company makes these statements to cover their backsides. 

True, but healthy companies never have to make that statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, I fear the days of happy stress free joyous cruising are behind us.  How lucky are we to have  had the chance  to enjoy happy cruising as it should be! 

 

I am curious, who in their right  mind will  be on the upcoming first Carnivalcruise    Forget   about cloth masks and issue gas masks along with our boarding cards.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The big issue for us is not when cruise lines are resuming operations.  

 

The larger questions, the ones that will decide if and  how we spend our travel dollars revolve around do we feel cruising is safe, what changes will there be to the on board environment, will the itineraries/port stops be the same,  will we have the same excursion opportunities, and finally how does the total  price, door to door, compare to other travel options in the market.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cbr663 said:

My understanding is that the virus can survive on metal for up to 5 days and stainless steel for 2-3 days.  Aren't the fruit baskets on HAL made from metal?

I would guess any cruise line could procure straw baskets to hold fruit in thre blink of an eye

 

🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Count us out in this scenario.  Many of these may indeed happen.  If so it will be interesting to see how many people choose to board a ship.

 

I keep saying social distancing will never work on a ship.  But under conditions like this they might only be at 10% occupancy with diehard cruisers, so maybe it could.  Of course it wouldn't last too long as the cruise lines would be losing money....

 

Completely agree!  If this is what people desire, may I introduce you to Washington State Ferries (car decks with vinyl seats). 

 

Especially since I can still fly to a land based resort and while there might still be some restrictions, I can't imagine even 2/3 as many as what's listed here.  

 

Will I be disappointed that it's not on a ship?  Somewhat.  But I'll still be on vacation for crying out loud.   

 

And cleaning your own bathroom?  From this group?  This is the same forum that laughed me off of CC a few years ago when I told everybody I wipe down my stateroom on embarkation day.  They called me "bubble boy".  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The company may have to revise their plans as  scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that appears more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote. 

 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mandalay1903 said:

True, but healthy companies never have to make that statement.

Not one that bleak but having written those types of disclosures in the past I always wondered why anyone of sound mind would buy into a company having read the risks.  You basically are required to disclose anything that has a .0001% chance of happening. 
 

Plus a pretty smart guy just put $400 million into NCL

Edited by KirkNC
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I would guess any cruise line could procure straw baskets to hold fruit in thre blink of an eye

 

🙂

 

 

Yes, of course.  The safest though is to simply remove these touch items from the cabins.  This includes things like ice buckets and the ice bucket tray and flowers also.  When you have crew who must effectively sanitize a cabin between passengers, the less items in the cabin that need to be sanitized, the better.

 

I watched a segment on the news last night of some of the plans that the Chateau Laurier here in Ottawa and other hotel chains are hoping to implement.  All un-necessary touch items removed.  You have to make your own bed.  Garbage and linens have to put out in the hallway for pick up.  Housekeepers are not allowed to enter a room with a guest.  Pexi-glass barriers up at all guest relations counters.  And here's an interesting plan - many hotel chains are not allowing anyone (including housekeepers to sanitize) to enter a room until 72 hours after a guest has checked out.  What would that policy do for turn around times for cruises and for itinerary start dates?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, iancal said:

The big issue for us is not when cruise lines are resuming operations.  

 

The larger questions, the ones that will decide if and  how we spend our travel dollars revolve around do we feel cruising is safe, what changes will there be to the on board environment, will the itineraries/port stops be the same,  will we have the same excursion opportunities, and finally how does the total  price, door to door, compare to other travel options in the market.

 

For us too - what will cruises actually look like going forward?  There is no way, imo, will it resemble the cruises that we are all familiar with and have enjoyed in the past.  Cruises of the past were all about catering to our every need and whim when we wanted it.  I don't see it being that way going forward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, atexsix said:

.....

 

And cleaning your own bathroom?  From this group?  This is the same forum that laughed me off of CC a few years ago when I told everybody I wipe down my stateroom on embarkation day.  They called me "bubble boy".  

 

 

We did the same thing when we boarded a cruise ship.  So you know, as we know, just how clean the cabins actually were.  My experience having done this is that I am not confident that the cruise lines can sanitize a cabin/ship.  There's a huge difference between cleaning a cabin and sanitizing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I wonder why not sailings from Port Everglades.

 

I wondered about that.  The ports/ships that have been mentioned here are Carnival.  But, I would think maybe that using just one port might be better for less potential spread and since there will be considerably fewer ships going/coming.  HAL goes out of Port Everglades here on the east coast; wonder if/when they start up, would they move down to Miami? 

 

Just reading all the comments above makes me wonder how the heck will they ever be able to resume...it's really pretty scary to think of the ramifications of there not being a vaccine.  There has never been a vaccine available for this type (family?) of virus; will they be able to come up with one for this one?  I just can't see if there is no vaccine, how will the cruise lines implement/enforce any of what has been mentioned above?  I fear for the future of cruising, I really do. 

 

Linda R.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

 

We did the same thing when we boarded a cruise ship.  So you know, as we know, just how clean the cabins actually were.  My experience having done this is that I am not confident that the cruise lines can sanitize a cabin/ship.  There's a huge difference between cleaning a cabin and sanitizing it.

They actually do the minimum on turnaround day and didn't actually get to the bathroom until evening on our last cruise.  It was presentable, I'm sure the average cruiser saw the point on the end of the TP roll and was really wow'd by it, but I knew better, <wink>.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, atexsix said:

 And cleaning your own bathroom?  From this group?  This is the same forum that laughed me off of CC a few years ago when I told everybody I wipe down my stateroom on embarkation day.  They called me "bubble boy".  

 

 

I'm right with you!  Just call me "bubble girl"!  I've been cleaning cabins, hotel rooms, trains for years! 

 

Linda R.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

 

Yes, of course.  The safest though is to simply remove these touch items from the cabins.  This includes things like ice buckets and the ice bucket tray and flowers also.  When you have crew who must effectively sanitize a cabin between passengers, the less items in the cabin that need to be sanitized, the better.

 

I watched a segment on the news last night of some of the plans that the Chateau Laurier here in Ottawa and other hotel chains are hoping to implement.  All un-necessary touch items removed.  You have to make your own bed.  Garbage and linens have to put out in the hallway for pick up.  Housekeepers are not allowed to enter a room with a guest.  Pexi-glass barriers up at all guest relations counters.  And here's an interesting plan - many hotel chains are not allowing anyone (including housekeepers to sanitize) to enter a room until 72 hours after a guest has checked out.  What would that policy do for turn around times for cruises and for itinerary start dates?

By  the time you remove all comfortws, (this_) cruiser says ..  see 'ya.    I don' t see much comfort, luxury or enjoyemnt in your scenario. Perhaps some here agree and  'can you say '  "EMPTY cabins? !"

 

ONE of the reasons many of us travel is ro get away from all  the realities hat displease us at home.   Strip down the cabins/public spaces and  and it throws the pandemic right into our faces.

 

I can stay home  for that  ugliness.

 

 

 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention hurricane season.  I guess that it will be OK if you just want to float around for a week, perhaps spend a day at the private island, and wear a mask all the time.  Not to mention going through Florida to get to and from the ship.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

The company may have to revise their plans as  scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that appears more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote. 

 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original

Just another headline by the media to drum up fear and hysteria.  It clearly states this "new strain" is the same one we've been dealing with for quite some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...