How will elevators work in the age of social distancing?

20 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

So we are supposed to live like this forever cause of the virus? With all due respect to your experiences working in a hospital I didn't expect to not be able to vacation, eat out and play poker in my well earned retirement so the left could exploit this pandemic to get Trump out of office.

We should be friends

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

If you only take the stairs how do you know what day it is ?🤣

When we are on a cruise, we don't care or want to know what day it is. 😉 As long as we know where the DL is and what time the C&A HH starts.😎🍷🍻 If we use the elevator after enjoying a few drinks during the C&A HH I let someone else drive. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basically the crowding is because no one wants to wait a few minutes to get food.  It's all about food.  Remove the food, no problem.  But seriously, after a show, muster, large event, everyone wants to go to the next item on the daily program that starts in 5 minutes.  I think that spacing of popular events to not have everyone racing to get somewhere might help.  Being on a ship to relax and enjoy the cruise seems to get lost in a crowd.  Now, when we leave a show, we try to get outside to walk along the deck.  It is NEVER crowded!  5 minutes later, surprise, no lines at the elevators or stairs!

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

When we are on a cruise, we don't care or want to know what day it is. 😉 As long as we know where the DL is and what time the C&A HH starts.😎🍷🍻 If we use the elevator after enjoying a few drinks during the C&A HH I let someone else drive. 

You would still make a good elevator captain Dave....just push every button...you should be able to hit your deck at some point.  🤣🥃🍹🍷😵

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

You would still make a good elevator captain Dave....just push every button...you should be able to hit your deck at some point.  🤣🥃🍹🍷😵

I'll be happy to be the Captain. We can turn the elevator into a traveling bar. Stopping at the DL on each return trip to get refills. By then we'll have enough alcohol in our systems that social distancing won't be a requirement or a concern.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'll be happy to be the Captain. We can turn the elevator into a traveling bar. Stopping at the DL on each return trip to get refills. By then we'll have enough alcohol in our systems that social distancing won't be a requirement or a concern.  

LOL!!!   Probably not a concern any longer.  Where is my Teddy Bear?  

We Interviewed the Guy You Call When You Get Stuck in a Elevator ...

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL!!!   Probably not a concern any longer.  Where is my Teddy Bear?  

We Interviewed the Guy You Call When You Get Stuck in a Elevator ...

Man, I'm glad those days are behind me and over. Ouch! 

Edited by davekathy

This thread has run its course anyway. 

Final thoughts. Shut down the elevators.  That will automatically reduce capacity to 20-25 % range. Since the remaining passengers will likely book staterooms near the pool deck or MDR, that frees up the entire middle of the ship for quanatine room.

Solves 3 problems at once. Royal, are you listening? 

😉😇

7 hours ago, Drugstore said:

You go back to days when a elevator had a elevator man to allow people on and off to what ever the safe capacity would be

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's a LOT of elevators on a cruise ship.

7 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

So we are supposed to live like this forever cause of the virus? With all due respect to your experiences working in a hospital I didn't expect to not be able to vacation, eat out and play poker in my well earned retirement so the left could exploit this pandemic to get Trump out of office.

I was supposed to go to Baccaro’s Saturday night.Will I ever get there ?

I guess this means no more stowaway piano on the elevator.  Glad I got to see it on the Symphony on its next to last cruise.  The elevator was packed with people singing along, and no one wanted to get off.  🎹 🎶 

10 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

I remember when I was working two years ago and the prime time (9AM, Noon-2PM, 5PM) backups. Cars crowded nose to nose almost. Main lobby jam packed waiting for the next car. Even worse when a car was under repair. Cruise elevators only come close to that at the end of muster and when a  show lets out of the theater.

Funny should say that, the only time I got close to other passengers was Muster. Otherwise last to leave Theater & sit up side/balcony. First in/out to eat, never take elevator or touch railings and usually in last dozen leave the ship at end of the Cruise

On 5/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, Dinglebert said:

I think its the dead bodies which are telling us not to do it.  I am weary of people in denial, perhaps because my work is in hospitals.

Elevators? Be it the dead bodies and/or talking heads... you guys can debate that all day long, but none of us will be cruising if there is concern about compliance w/ social distancing. The fact is, the ships will alll need to be re-configured and a ship half empty will not pay the bill of the cruiselines. Unless the price is doubled per passeneger. In addition, every ship to be full... it's not happening folks. So if there is concern from either the dead bodies or the talking heads, you should not be reserving space on a cruise ship, much less how the elevators will operate. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

10 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

No. No we're not. And not only that, I tend to think that those in the health care industry tend to see more 'dead bodies' than those that work elsewhere. If one is scared or fearful of living as we once did, they should stay out of the public, restaurants, entertainment events, and most definitelty cruise ships.  Fear is a mighty powerful emotion. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

On 5/5/2020 at 4:01 PM, Lidodeckdrinks said:

The rest of us, I think, are starting to grow weary of putting our lives on hold just because the talking head on TV told us to.  

Are you staying home because of some talking head on TV?

Advisable to change your TV channel then.

Staying home is neither a cure nor a permanent avoidance.

It is simply to allow poorly resourced healthcare system to handle the cases (flattening the curve).

It is extra hard for us now because we have to pay for the sin of drinking "its a hoax" and "it will go away by itself" coolaid.

We could have adopted WHO tests on timely fashion and would be in same place as Germany or Korea.

Water under the bridge.

Lets be more sensible for the future and that begins by changing the channel to ANYTHING else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WeLuvVacation said:

No, only until  we develop fast (one hour results) and accurate (both sensitive and specific) to detect those infected before boarding. Similar to temperature check except that we all know that temperature check is insufficient filter for this disease. 

Think about security measures we put it after 9/11. ("You mean I cant drop my mom to the gate?"; What do you mean take off my shoes?", Where are you touching, man!!) Similarly, we wil be adopting some simple sensible (but unpopular) preventive measures.

Most of social distancing need will naturally go away once we have reasonable level of confidence in ability to keep infected (even asymptomatic) people away. Risk will not get eliminated completely  but to a great extent reduced.

Some better practices involving hygiene and cleaning will be adopted (including wearing mask voluntarily as soon as one develops a cough like people in Japan/HK do) but rest of the cruising experience will remain largely not much changed.

At least one if not all three will file bankruptcy but that will only impact greedy shareholders and bond holders. We, pax, wud not be affected much, unless we mad a mistake of taking FC. (but even FC might be safe)

Edited by hal2008

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Elevators? Be it the dead bodies and/or talking heads... you guys can debate that all day long, but none of us will be cruising if there is concern about compliance w/ social distancing. The fact is, the ships will alll need to be re-configured and a ship half empty will not pay the bill of the cruiselines. Unless the price is doubled per passeneger. In addition, every ship to be full... it's not happening folks. So if there is concern from either the dead bodies or the talking heads, you should not be reserving space on a cruise ship, much less how the elevators will operate. 

Agree. This elevator thread made some interesting time pass but you are right. Elevators operation would be way down on the list to think/reconfigure/adjust/adopt for guests or for the cruise industry.

Cruising will not survive if ability to prevent boarding of asymptomatic carriers is not developed.

Once that is available, need for social distancing largely goes away. We can go back to worry about norovirus and rotovirus.

6 hours ago, derorim said:

I guess this means no more stowaway piano on the elevator.  Glad I got to see it on the Symphony on its next to last cruise.  The elevator was packed with people singing along, and no one wanted to get off.  🎹 🎶 

Saw one on the Allure in January 2020.  So fun.  Glad we were able to see him as well. The stowaway piano most likely will be deleted. One of those changes that will probably happen.

Edited by denamo

On 5/5/2020 at 10:06 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Just a thought... so RC sails Mariner to CocoCay 1/3 capacity. The ship seems empty. Pool deck has loungers 6 feet apart. Elevators are allowed to only 1 person at a time.....

Joe, Diabetic long time RCL cruiser, 65 yrs old, gets on board because he is desperate to get on a cruise as soon as possible. Joe doesn't know it yet, but he is compromised if he is infected with C19.

Unbeknownst to anyone, a carrier of C19 also boards the ship. There's no testing, C19 carrier does not have a fever, and shows no symptoms. 

Day 1, Joe takes the elevator by himself up to the pool deck to enjoy his first drink on a "safe" pool deck with social distanced loungers. Unfortunately for him, before he gets to the "safe" loungers, he walks by the C19 carrier speaking/laughing to their spouse very loudly and happily, and microscopic droplets from their saliva fall into his drink. 

How does the social distancing in the elevator or pool deck prevent that?

Social Distancing is the solution until 1) everyone decides they just want to kill the weak who would die anyways had there been no social distancing or 2) there's a vaccine/immunity test/something that can ensure 100% that each and every one of the cruisers going up the gangway are clear of C19. The problem is, if you choose option #1, the second there's one case on a cruise ship, all the cruise lines will be burned at the stake by media and by public perception. They'll be goners.

I don't think social distancing is possible at all on a cruise ship even with 1/4 capacity.

66% of those infected in NY had been staying at home.   The fact is he doesn't have to go on a cruise to get infected, nor does anyone else.  Also, it takes more than walking past someone to catch it.  It requires prolonged contact (like at least 15 min).  Also, ingesting the droplets will not infect you.  Food has been shown to not be a source as the virus requires access to mucuous membranes in your nose, in particular to infect you.  

I also saw a story last night saying that they're starting to see weaknesses developing in the virus, similar to what happened with SARS.  If this proves to be true, COVID will start to disappear on it's own, just like SARS did.   And, before I get jumped on by those in sheer panic mode, I said IF.

5 hours ago, denamo said:

Saw one on the Allure in January 2020.  So fun.  Glad we were able to see him as well. The stowaway piano most likely will be deleted. One of those changes that will probably happen.

We've been on both Allure and Oasis and never got to see the stowaway piano.  And, no one ever mentioned in on either cruise so I'm guessing they weren't doing it on our cruises.

12 hours ago, derorim said:

I saw it on Harmony....was great little "pop up" concert where he rolled it into Central Park and played one night.  🙂