Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

To be clear, we’re talking about a Future Cruise Deposit, not.Future Cruise Credit that you may have received from Seabourn.  Any unused FCDs are good for 4 years from date of purchase.  If they are unused at the end of the 4 years, they will automatically be refunded to your cc OR at any tIme during the 4 years you decide that you want them refunded, you call Seabourn and let them know.   We purchase FCDs and bank them any time we cruise so they’re available when we decide to book something.  In this case, we had purchased 2 each back in 2017, had one each applied to the cruise we should be on right now when we booked it in December, and still had 1 each available for future use until 2021 if we booked something else.  When the cruise industry fell apart while we were on a ship in March, we chose not to leave even a dime with any of them so requested refunds of any outstanding FCDs we had with both Seabourn and HAL.

 

So in answer to your question, yes, you can call Seabourn and tell them you want your FCDs refunded but not FCCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, zelker said:

To be clear, we’re talking about a Future Cruise Deposit, not.Future Cruise Credit that you may have received from Seabourn.  Any unused FCDs are good for 4 years from date of purchase.  If they are unused at the end of the 4 years, they will automatically be refunded to your cc OR at any tIme during the 4 years you decide that you want them refunded, you call Seabourn and let them know.   We purchase FCDs and bank them any time we cruise so they’re available when we decide to book something.  In this case, we had purchased 2 each back in 2017, had one each applied to the cruise we should be on right now when we booked it in December, and still had 1 each available for future use until 2021 if we booked something else.  When the cruise industry fell apart while we were on a ship in March, we chose not to leave even a dime with any of them so requested refunds of any outstanding FCDs we had with both Seabourn and HAL.

 

So in answer to your question, yes, you can call Seabourn and tell them you want your FCDs refunded but not FCCs.

Thank you, I believe I became somewhat confused when I was dealing with Seabourn and our TA during all the uncertainty about  the possibility of summer travel.  

My wife and I had each purchased a FCD back in Oct. 2017, which we applied to the June 2020 cruise.

So with the cruise cancellation, our FCD x 2 should be reinstated, and it would be my option to request a refund of this $1000? When I was told that our 15% penalty (about $4500) would be put to our accounts I guess this meant FCC.  Back in March I thought they were telling me it would be added to our FCD somehow.  

Since they later canceled the cruise, is it conceivable they will refund this $4500 now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JRS51 said:

Thank you, I believe I became somewhat confused when I was dealing with Seabourn and our TA during all the uncertainty about  the possibility of summer travel.  

My wife and I had each purchased a FCD back in Oct. 2017, which we applied to the June 2020 cruise.

So with the cruise cancellation, our FCD x 2 should be reinstated, and it would be my option to request a refund of this $1000? When I was told that our 15% penalty (about $4500) would be put to our accounts I guess this meant FCC.  Back in March I thought they were telling me it would be added to our FCD somehow.  

Since they later canceled the cruise, is it conceivable they will refund this $4500 now?

 

Correct - you're 2 FCDs should be sitting on your Seabourn Club accounts and you can ask to have them reimbursed to your CC between now and October 2021, or let them sit and use them against a deposit on another cruise between now and October, your choice.  

 

As for the FCCs they gave you, I'm about 99.9% sure that they are not counted as FCDs and can't be refunded as such BUT since the cruise was subsequently cancelled, it can't hurt to ask if it's now an option to have the FCC's refunded.  (sorry, I don't know the answer for sure since our cruise was cancelled by SB before we would have gotten around to cancelling)

 

Edited by zelker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, zelker said:

 

Correct - you're 2 FCDs should be sitting on your Seabourn Club accounts and you can ask to have them reimbursed to your CC between now and October 2021, or let them sit and use them against a deposit on another cruise between now and October, your choice.  

 

As for the FCCs they gave you, I'm about 99.9% sure that they are not counted as FCDs and can't be refunded BUT since the cruise was subsequently cancelled, it can't hurt to ask if it's now an option to have that money refunded.  (sorry, I don't know the answer for sure since our cruise was cancelled by SB before we would have gotten around to cancelling)

 

Thanks, this makes sense!   I will definitely check with my TA/Seabourn.  I'll post a f/u if I hear anything that might help others in similar situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I've taken it up with my TA over a week ago, and SB a week before that, I am today going to ring SB again as I am second on the list as having waited the longest at 90 days tomorrow.

 

We paid by debit card, and I was told by SB that fact would save up to 5 days.  Apparently once SB have instigated the refund, it is instant to a debit card but can be up to 5 days for a CC.   Also apparently the payment was made direct to SB, despite booking and paying through a TA, which again would make the payment come through quicker as the refund does not have to go via my TA.  

All this now appears to be just nonsense given the fact there are so many embarkation dates and refund request dates after me who have been refunded, and I feel fobbed off.    

 

This was our most lengthy and expensive cruise, it's about $23K (£18K) owed and my patience is wearing thin (understatement!)

It was two back to back cruises, and I fear for my blood pressure if only the first comes through and I have to wait again for the second!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zelker said:

  

We have Chase Preferred and they told me it wasn't an option to have a direct deposit so requested a check.  Wonder if it's because you have the Reserve card?  In any case, yes, another 7-10 business days to finally have the money in hand won't kill us.  

Day four with Chase. Still haven't cut the check. Will call again today. Once they cut the check , it will be another 7 to 10 days. Depending on the post office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wesport said:

Day four with Chase. Still haven't cut the check. Will call again today. Once they cut the check , it will be another 7 to 10 days. Depending on the post office. 

Now this from Chase. They have had the money from Seabourn since June 4. It will take 7 to 10 business days to process plus the time for the post office to deliver the check. Just a heads up of anyone using Chase. At least the money is in my account. By the time I get a check Chase will have had the money for over two weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Although I've taken it up with my TA over a week ago, and SB a week before that, I am today going to ring SB again as I am second on the list as having waited the longest at 90 days tomorrow.

 

We paid by debit card, and I was told by SB that fact would save up to 5 days.  Apparently once SB have instigated the refund, it is instant to a debit card but can be up to 5 days for a CC.   Also apparently the payment was made direct to SB, despite booking and paying through a TA, which again would make the payment come through quicker as the refund does not have to go via my TA.  

All this now appears to be just nonsense given the fact there are so many embarkation dates and refund request dates after me who have been refunded, and I feel fobbed off.    

 

This was our most lengthy and expensive cruise, it's about $23K (£18K) owed and my patience is wearing thin (understatement!)

It was two back to back cruises, and I fear for my blood pressure if only the first comes through and I have to wait again for the second!  

Let us know what you hear. I’m calling today as well once they open up in Seattle. 
 

rob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Although I've taken it up with my TA over a week ago, and SB a week before that, I am today going to ring SB again as I am second on the list as having waited the longest at 90 days tomorrow.

 

We paid by debit card, and I was told by SB that fact would save up to 5 days.  Apparently once SB have instigated the refund, it is instant to a debit card but can be up to 5 days for a CC.   Also apparently the payment was made direct to SB, despite booking and paying through a TA, which again would make the payment come through quicker as the refund does not have to go via my TA.  

All this now appears to be just nonsense given the fact there are so many embarkation dates and refund request dates after me who have been refunded, and I feel fobbed off.    

 

This was our most lengthy and expensive cruise, it's about $23K (£18K) owed and my patience is wearing thin (understatement!)

It was two back to back cruises, and I fear for my blood pressure if only the first comes through and I have to wait again for the second!  

I feel your pain. We are at 81 and 56 days for our two refunds. I’ve completely lost my patience with Seabourn and yesterday we filed a dispute with our credit card company. We also asked for our future cruise deposits back. We’ve been round and round with Seabourn and are getting nowhere. Our refunds were VERY simple, no complications.  I won’t bore you with all the detail but the number of promises, lies, and inaccuracies we have received from Seabourn is truly sad. Seabourn’s future and viability is not looking good. Seabourn has done a poor job managing this situation and provided no communications except asking us to buy more cruises. I’m done with them.

 

For spreadsheet purposes I’m in the US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rgaudet said:

Let us know what you hear. I’m calling today as well once they open up in Seattle. 
 

rob

 

 

I'm afraid to say it was a less than satisfactory response.  Yes, mine is being worked on,  yes I have to be more patient and they cannot give me any idea of when I might receive it, and no there is no way of checking up on it further.  And no, it's impossible to say if our two b2bs will be paid out together.  

 

I am loathe to strongly criticise SB at this difficult juncture because it is such a tricky time for them, needless to say it was a call I would not wish to repeat again if I can help it, for all sorts of reasons I won't go into here.   Having spent my whole career in customer facing roles, I know what the best approach is and I was calm, polite and reasonable, I hasten to add! 

Edited by Mauzac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just chased Seabourn ...apparently after escalstion by our UK TA direct to CEO on 2nd June repayment to TA was made on 9th June this follows a cancellation on 30th march by Seabourn of  our 22nd  april Cruise and immediate confirmation by us also on 30th march 

I guess without escalation by our TA we might still be waiting .....Seabourn sadky seem unable to grasp what this debacle is doing to confidance or  future bookings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Called SB just now and did get some different news this time. She told me that the air fare refund was recently confirmed with the airline. She said that they have to call the airlines and it was taking hours to get through especially in the early days. So with that part done they would proceed to complete the refund. 
 

So perhaps having air through SB was one of the contributing factors to my refund being late. 
 

still no ETA though but hopefully soon. 
 

rob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rgaudet said:

Called SB just now and did get some different news this time. She told me that the air fare refund was recently confirmed with the airline. She said that they have to call the airlines and it was taking hours to get through especially in the early days. So with that part done they would proceed to complete the refund. 
 

So perhaps having air through SB was one of the contributing factors to my refund being late. 
 

still no ETA though but hopefully soon. 
 

rob

 

 

Thanks for the info.  I was told they looked at my outbound flights (through SB air) on 8 June but there was a problem and she couldn't tell me what, or how that would impact on the timing of my refund.

That's all I could gather.  

Fingers x'd for you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Payment Received Update: For JPH, to put onto the spreadsheet (again, thanks for doing this):

 

  • On Cruiser, Cruise date May 31/'20 (to Alaska, would be just flying home tomorrow if we had gone :classic_sad:)
  • Date refund requested: April 14
  • Date payment appeared on Credit Card: June 9, 2020

Sorry that I did not post sooner, was actually quite busy with work these past two days.  My refund took a little less than 60 days. My TA late last week pushed Seabourn, and he is part of a very large and higher volume (upscale) agency, so perhaps there was some clout there and perhaps he got to the right person, who assured him it would "soon" be processed. He and I both chuckled about that, as assurances cannot be taken to the bank. Well, what can I say, other than I am glad it was finally processed.  Nearly 60 days is too long for my comfort so I cannot imagine waiting much longer.  

 

I wish everyone else good success in getting their money or SBC. For those waiting a long time, filing a dispute with your credit card issuer (I had put them on notice but never had to initiate a formal dispute) may be the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, rgaudet said:

Called SB just now and did get some different news this time. She told me that the air fare refund was recently confirmed with the airline. She said that they have to call the airlines and it was taking hours to get through especially in the early days. So with that part done they would proceed to complete the refund. 
 

So perhaps having air through SB was one of the contributing factors to my refund being late. 
 

still no ETA though but hopefully soon. 
 

rob

 

 

30 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

 

Thanks for the info.  I was told they looked at my outbound flights (through SB air) on 8 June but there was a problem and she couldn't tell me what, or how that would impact on the timing of my refund.

That's all I could gather.  

Fingers x'd for you! 

I think that as many times one calls and as many agents one speaks with that is how many different stories you'll hear.

Maybe I am jaded by my own experiences (and what I read here) but I no longer believe anything a SB CSR tells me.

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wesport said:

Now this from Chase. They have had the money from Seabourn since June 4. It will take 7 to 10 business days to process plus the time for the post office to deliver the check. Just a heads up of anyone using Chase. At least the money is in my account. By the time I get a check Chase will have had the money for over two weeks. 

 

In my case, after I called Chase to request a refund check against my account credit balance, it took them 3 business days to process the refund check, and then 3 calendar days for me to receive the check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mauzac said:

I'm afraid to say it was a less than satisfactory response.  Yes, mine is being worked on,  yes I have to be more patient and they cannot give me any idea of when I might receive it, and no there is no way of checking up on it further.  And no, it's impossible to say if our two b2bs will be paid out together.

 

It's unbelievable SB couldn't tell you how your B2B refunds would be processed!  Do you think it may depend on how the B2B was sold and booked?  If each segment was booked as a stand-alone cruise with a separate booking number, maybe SB would process each refund separately.  OTOH, if both segments were booked under a single booking number, perhaps they would be processed together.  You'll have to let us know once you unlock the mystery!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ONCruiser, I think we might have been booked on the same cruise and we both received our refunds at approximately the same time. I highly doubt I used your travel agent and I did not, nor did my agent ever call Seabourn. So  maybe they might be refunding according to specific cruises.   I am grateful that we did not have to wait as long as some of the others but I still feel their pain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wesport said:

Now this from Chase. They have had the money from Seabourn since June 4. It will take 7 to 10 business days to process plus the time for the post office to deliver the check. Just a heads up of anyone using Chase. At least the money is in my account. By the time I get a check Chase will have had the money for over two weeks. 


Interesting. I got an email from Chase once my refund from Regent showed up asking me to verify account information online. Then Chase did an EFT to my checking account. I think it was 3 days total. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:


Interesting. I got an email from Chase once my refund from Regent showed up asking me to verify account information online. Then Chase did an EFT to my checking account. I think it was 3 days total. 

Everyone I talk to tells a different story. They tell me they are behind with the refunds.The refund is larger. ETC.  Sound familiar. Not sure if I will keep the Reserve card after this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

 

It's unbelievable SB couldn't tell you how your B2B refunds would be processed!  Do you think it may depend on how the B2B was sold and booked?  If each segment was booked as a stand-alone cruise with a separate booking number, maybe SB would process each refund separately.  OTOH, if both segments were booked under a single booking number, perhaps they would be processed together.  You'll have to let us know once you unlock the mystery!

 

I know!  It was 2 B2Bs with seperate booking numbers, because at the time, it saved us £££ to do that when booking.  However, the second leg, being a simple transatlantic with no flights on disembarkation should be very easy to refund and pay out with the first leg.

 

I have now entered that exclusive club of 90+ days and still waiting, nothing this morning 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To add to the list

Our cruise with Odyssey, departing Barbados on 3/14 was cancelled by Seabourn on 3/13 (!) whilst we already were at Barbados

Requested cash refund through the TA on 3/20

Sent "Change Fee Reimbursement Form" via registered mail on 3/18 (letter received by Seabourn Seattle on 3/28 according to confirmation by Swiss postal services")

No communication from Seabourn, neither to us nor the TA

Received two checks for EUR 350 each on 6/11 (appears to be the refund of our payments for  "Future Cruise Deposits" applied to said cruise). Great! Looks like something, how ever little and slow anyway, is happening.

Waiting for refund of cruise cost as well as (at least) partial for monies requested on the "Chance Fee Reimbursement Form".

 

 

Edited by ramses51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mauzac said:

 

I know!  It was 2 B2Bs with seperate booking numbers, because at the time, it saved us £££ to do that when booking.  However, the second leg, being a simple transatlantic with no flights on disembarkation should be very easy to refund and pay out with the first leg.

 

I have now entered that exclusive club of 90+ days and still waiting, nothing this morning 😥

We are leading that "exclusive 90+" club with 95 days as of today.  Spoke to Seabourn yesterday and was told we are still in the final phase (auditing?) but could give us no idea of when we will get our credit.  Earlier this week, we finally registered a dispute with our credit card company, we'll see if that gets us any closer to final refund.  If not, 100 days coming soon!   We loved our first Seabourn cruise, but not sure if we will ever book with them again after this fiasco.  Stay tuned....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruzluvers said:

We are leading that "exclusive 90+" club with 95 days as of today.

Sorry to disappoint you but we are at 106 days 😀

True that is for taxes and air fare changes "only" and not full fare but it's still about $5K - not exactly pocket change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Sorry to disappoint you but we are at 106 days 😀

True that is for taxes and air fare changes "only" and not full fare but it's still about $5K - not exactly pocket change.

 

You are officially the founder of the 100+ club, and if it's OK with you, I woud prefer not to join you!  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...