Jump to content

Why I feel August will be the real restart date.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

thats almost 90 days from now.  if bars and restaurants and casinos , beaches will be open, why not cruises in a limited capacity in select ports? 

we have to see how the covid thing settles down, but its looking good for many states that it is coming down right now. 

Looking good while new cases and deaths are on the increase?  We are not living on the same planet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Looking good while new cases and deaths are on the increase?  We are not living on the same planet.  

NY, NJ, MA, and MI comprise over half of the infections and death in the U.S. Let's concentrate on those hot spots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, seaman11 said:

they have to restart sometime, eventually a few will sail.  ports wont stay closed for a year. 

Seamen, tell me when the cruise is booked, and I will join you..

Edited by Trimone
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so hoping for a July 25th start date for my pride of America sailing, we booked as far out as we could for my husband that is a teacher. Our spring break cruise from PR was cancelled less than 24 hours before we flew out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Seamen, tell me when the cruise is booked, and I will join you..

cruises are already booked.  august seems a go on carnival at least . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Well, California State Parks are closed until Aug 1st so no camping until then. Cruising is a long, long way off.

toni come on join my on the aug 13th sailing. i know its only carnival , but hey its better than nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Looking good while new cases and deaths are on the increase?  We are not living on the same planet.  

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/0OxPiVOe/we-have-flattened-the-curve-virginia-gov-ralph-northam-announces-plans-for-soft-reopening

 

where i live now.  and here is some other states.  naturally some states havent hit that curve yet like NY. 

 

 

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/04/21/we-have-flattened-the-curve-florida-governor-says-hospitals-wont-be-overwhelmed-by-covid-19-patients/

 

this is florida in april. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

toni come on join my on the aug 13th sailing. i know its only carnival , but hey its better than nothing. 

Oh, I would love to and I like Carnival but I'm not putting any money into cruises until things stabilize. Heck, I'm still waiting for 2 refunds.

I wish you the best of luck that your Aug 13th cruise is a go!😊

Gosh, I really miss cruising. It's been 14 months since I've been on a ship. The longest ever for me since 2007.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Oh, I would love to and I like Carnival but I'm not putting any money into cruises until things stabilize. Heck, I'm still waiting for 2 refunds.

I wish you the best of luck that your Aug 13th cruise is a go!😊

Gosh, I really miss cruising. It's been 14 months since I've been on a ship. The longest ever for me since 2007.

Depends on your definition of "stabilize".  I don't think what you're thinking is going to happen.

 

I do believe cruising starts up around August, as that's how long it will take to get the new cruising procedures in place....temps of every passenger/crew member coming of/on the ship, check up within 2 weeks of embarkation, more washing stations and enforcement throughout the ships, etc.

 

As far as communities or ports welcoming disembarking passengers, I believe they will be welcomed with open arms, give how reliant they are on the cruise industry and tourism.  Plus, the enhanced health procedures put in place should mitigate "flare ups".

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Depends on your definition of "stabilize".  I don't think what you're thinking is going to happen.

 

I do believe cruising starts up around August, as that's how long it will take to get the new cruising procedures in place....temps of every passenger/crew member coming of/on the ship, check up within 2 weeks of embarkation, more washing stations and enforcement throughout the ships, etc.

 

As far as communities or ports welcoming disembarking passengers, I believe they will be welcomed with open arms, give how reliant they are on the cruise industry and tourism.  Plus, the enhanced health procedures put in place should mitigate "flare ups".

 

 

I hope you're right. I was always ready to go on my April 11th cruise, the thing that made me the most nervous was being quarantined on the ship. 

 

If they start cruising in August and they do have an outbreak on the ship, well, that won't be good. Can they say with certainty that won't happen? I think that's the most difficult part of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cruises are already booked.  august seems a go on carnival at least . 

 

You have announced cruises are go before. I guess if you announce that every month you might be right someday. Carnival has announced a few cruises in August and also canceled many cruises in August. For example Carnival canceled all their August Bermuda sailings. Time will tell when Carnival actually restarts. If ever. Some financial analysts believe Carnival is headed to bankruptcy. NCL also in trouble. RCCL is reporting earnings today so we shall see what the analysts think about them.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

You have announced cruises are go before. I guess if you announce that every month you might be right someday. Carnival has announced a few cruises in August and also canceled many cruises in August. For example Carnival canceled all their August Bermuda sailings. Time will tell when Carnival actually restarts. If ever. Some financial analysts believe Carnival is headed to bankruptcy. NCL also in trouble. RCCL is reporting earnings today so we shall see what the analysts think about them.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

no i didnt announce it every month,  may i had at 20 percent chance,  but i did think they would go june or july by the latest. so that i was wrong about, but those i argued with were saying not till 2021

 

as for carnival im talking southern ports only in the us.  they and ncl  have gotten money to keep them going. ncl has received 2 billion.  

Edited by seaman11
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Princess just cancelled through the fall. Guessing that NCL will follow. 

no not necessarily. princess had the most cases and their routes and ports are going to take time to get back up.  as i have said, i wouldnt book an alaskan ,canada, asian  cruise this year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess just cancelled through the fall. Guessing that NCL will follow. 

 

Holland America has canceled Alaska, Canada and Europe for 2020.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

no i didnt announce it every month,  may i had at 20 percent chance,  but i did think they would go june or july by the latest. so that i was wrong about, but those i argued with were saying not till 2021

 

as for carnival im talking southern ports only in the us.  they and ncl  have gotten money to keep them going. ncl has received 2 billion.  

to be fair, you were arguing with me and all I was saying was 100 days due to the CDC. I never said 2021. I still love your optimism but I knew it wasnt going to happen until the 100 days were over and I knew they were not going to pull it back

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

Holland America has canceled Alaska, Canada and Europe for 2020.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a good sign for the rest of the cruiselines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Not a good sign for the rest of the cruiselines.

I agree but rccl and ncl still have florida ports to sail out of.  I dont think any expected the full fleet to start up only a few ships to start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

 

You have announced cruises are go before. I guess if you announce that every month you might be right someday. 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

i know you heard it before, but this time its more of a detailed plan.  looking good this time, 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some states are already opening up. I think sometime between Aug 1 and Sep 1 is a great guess. As for ports - a  lot of the places that rely so heavily on tourism are really hurting economically. Nobody can keep this up forever. So I think a lot of them will open sooner than some people think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I hope you're right. I was always ready to go on my April 11th cruise, the thing that made me the most nervous was being quarantined on the ship. 

 

If they start cruising in August and they do have an outbreak on the ship, well, that won't be good. Can they say with certainty that won't happen? I think that's the most difficult part of this.

Good question.  I guess I look at it like “what happens if I fall down and break a leg on the ship?  What happens if I get Noro while on the ship?  What happens if I get caught in a hurricane while sailing, or having the ship list (both of which have happened when I sailed) etc?”

 

If you are unlucky enough to get infected, where will that happen?  At the gas station while fueling up?  At the grocery store while touching a can good?  From your mechanic who did the oil change in your car?  From the Postman who delivered infected mail? 

 

I guess the odds of contracting COVID 19 are pretty slim (last I looked).  These were the most recent numbers by the CDC.  Extrapolated numbers (which are fairly reliable now that there are enough people tested to have meaningful statistics) .0004 have been infected in the U.S.  Of those, .000059 have died as attributed to influenza, pneumonia and COVID 19.  They don’t break out the mortality rate of those attributed strictly to COVID 19.

 

I think the ships are going to mitigate any transmissions, from observing those who are ill, to taking temps embarking/disembarking the ship, even at every port.  Reducing or eliminating any “self serve” food and drink areas.  Enhancing the already thorough cleaning and disinfection routine of the entire ship.

 

Is it in remission?  Some areas, yes.  Some areas, which were “hot spots”, not as much.  I can actually see cruise companies disallowing people who hail from the “hot sports” to sail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

 

Is it in remission?  Some areas, yes.  Some areas, which were “hot spots”, not as much.  I can actually see cruise companies disallowing people who hail from the “hot sports” to sail.

what defines hot spots?

22 states have the virus INCREASING

15 states have it staying the same

15 states and guam have it decreasing.. decreasing states include NY and NJ and Mass which are still considered hot spots

 

so what defines remission? the 15 states where its decreasing? that doesnt sound like a lot

 

(and Florida is staying the same, not decreasing)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...