Jump to content

Two Cancelled Cruises...please explain how this works


Recommended Posts

Hi all, we are among many others who have had multiple cruises cancelled (we rolled the dice on a couple cheap casino offers). However, I don't fully understand what my PVP is telling me regarding a November booking we are trying to make so I came here for some clarity. Here is how it all worked out:

 

1) Booked 3/15 cruise for $180 + $245 in taxes = $425. Cruise was cancelled and we elected to take the FCC and $600 OBC. The $245 in taxes were refunded to my credit card. 

2) Booked 7/11 Cruise for $250 + $285 in taxes = $535. $180 credit was applied, so I paid $355 out of pocket ($70 fare difference +$285 taxes). Cruise was cancelled. I have not made any election yet, but intend to take the FCC and $600 OBC again.

 

So now, I want to book a November cruise, which requires a $198 deposit. Carnival has $535 of my money, $285 of which is port fees/taxes from the recently cancelled cruise. In my mind, Carnival can take my FCC and apply the $250 towards the November cruise, which would cover the $198 + $52 more towards the balance. However, my PVP said that we have to make the deposit out of pocket, and then the FCC will be applied towards the balance. Furthermore, he is telling me that I dont have $250 in FCC, but $430 ($180 from the first one and $250 from the second), so he can really only refund me $105. This makes NO sense to me...first of all, the credit was rolled from the first cancelled cruise into the next cruise. Second, no matter how you slice it, $285 of what I paid is port fees and taxes, which Carnival cannot legally hold. Can someone please clarify how this process is supposed to work or share their experiences so far. I dont want to be a sucker and keep throwing good money after bad. Thank you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I elected to have my fees and taxes rolled into new booking, no fuss no muss.you are overly complicating it waiting for a refund imo.

 

I think I did have to make a 98 deposit. My ta got a tracking number to roll into the new booking and was told my 700 obc will appear within 3 to 5 days. If there was left over fcc it becomes more obc. 

 

Not rolling over taxes and fees means you will be waiting up to 90 days for a refund. True you don't have to roll the whole thing over, but I'm for kiss.

 

We did this within a hour of canc. Very easy. Why make it so hard. Mine also said I owe 198 deposit, so not sure how he got 100 knocked off.

 

From my ta. Who is awesome btw.

 

Done.
 
Taxes moved over.  Did a deposit of $99.36.  You owe $110.64 at final payment.
 
FCC and OBC added in 3-5 days
 
FCC tracking number is 2xxxxxx - xxxxx
Edited by firefly333
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mrak said:

Hi all, we are among many others who have had multiple cruises cancelled (we rolled the dice on a couple cheap casino offers). However, I don't fully understand what my PVP is telling me regarding a November booking we are trying to make so I came here for some clarity. Here is how it all worked out:

 

1) Booked 3/15 cruise for $180 + $245 in taxes = $425. Cruise was cancelled and we elected to take the FCC and $600 OBC. The $245 in taxes were refunded to my credit card. 

2) Booked 7/11 Cruise for $250 + $285 in taxes = $535. $180 credit was applied, so I paid $355 out of pocket ($70 fare difference +$285 taxes). Cruise was cancelled. I have not made any election yet, but intend to take the FCC and $600 OBC again.

 

So now, I want to book a November cruise, which requires a $198 deposit. Carnival has $535 of my money, $285 of which is port fees/taxes from the recently cancelled cruise. In my mind, Carnival can take my FCC and apply the $250 towards the November cruise, which would cover the $198 + $52 more towards the balance. However, my PVP said that we have to make the deposit out of pocket, and then the FCC will be applied towards the balance. Furthermore, he is telling me that I dont have $250 in FCC, but $430 ($180 from the first one and $250 from the second), so he can really only refund me $105. This makes NO sense to me...first of all, the credit was rolled from the first cancelled cruise into the next cruise. Second, no matter how you slice it, $285 of what I paid is port fees and taxes, which Carnival cannot legally hold. Can someone please clarify how this process is supposed to work or share their experiences so far. I dont want to be a sucker and keep throwing good money after bad. Thank you! 

PVP's are a complete joke. I've rescheduled 2 cruises so far this year all with the casino department... 

May 9th cancelled, I rescheduled it to May 17th 100% of the money I paid was transferred to the future cruise including gratuities, taxes, and Vacation protection plan. 

May 17th cancelled, I rescheduled it to september 20th 100% of the money was transferred to the future cruise including gratuities, taxes, and vacation  protection plan.

 

We received the $600 OBC when the May 9th cruise was cancelled and it was moved to the May 17th cruise then ultimately to the September 20th cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You shouldn't have to pay the deposit out of your pocket. I put the cruise I wanted on hold online and then called in. They moved the entire amount I paid (cruise fare, taxes and fees and prepaid grats) over to my new cruise. New trip $13 cheaper so I have $613 obc.

Edited by JaxsMama
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

He said that since we were past final payment on the two cruises, we were technically in the "100% penalty" time period. So the 100% penalty is being reimbursed in the form of FCC. He said people who has excess funds, meaning were not assessed a 100% "penalty" could use their excess funds to pay for deposits. However, since I was at 100% penalty, I cannot use that and have to put down a  deposit out of pocket. Is this correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mrak said:

He said that since we were past final payment on the two cruises, we were technically in the "100% penalty" time period. So the 100% penalty is being reimbursed in the form of FCC. He said people who has excess funds, meaning were not assessed a 100% "penalty" could use their excess funds to pay for deposits. However, since I was at 100% penalty, I cannot use that and have to put down a  deposit out of pocket. Is this correct?

You should be able to use the refund from your taxes and port fees to put down the deposit instead of waiting for them to refund you. Regardless of being in 100% penalty they still have to pay you those back to your original form of payment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea how my 198 deposit became 98.64, but the new cruise is about 200 more than the original one.

 

I dont understand why you are dragging it out waiting for a refund of taxes and fees. Uggg. 

 

I get 700 obc, because I moved to early saver who is offering another 100 obc to rebook. 

 

I havent looked to see if it all rolled over yet, I'll go look now 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

You should be able to use the refund from your taxes and port fees to put down the deposit instead of waiting for them to refund you. Regardless of being in 100% penalty they still have to pay you those back to your original form of payment. 

Ah that's probably it, my old taxes were 98.64, exactly my new deposit

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I have no idea how my 198 deposit became 98.64, but the new cruise is about 200 more than the original one.

 

I dont understand why you are dragging it out waiting for a refund of taxes and fees. Uggg. 

 

I get 700 obc, because I moved to early saver who is offering another 100 obc to rebook. 

 

I havent looked to see if it all rolled over yet, I'll go look now 

Unlike the past two cruises, this one is going to be $1800; not $500. I'm already hesitant to shell out that kind of money at the end of August (for final payment) with all of the uncertainty. That said, I dont want to refund...I am fine with them taking the full $535 and rolling it to the new cruise. Its the principle of the matter that he is asking me for more money out of pocket. Makes no sense to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Roll your old taxes and fees into new deposit, = no money out of pocket.

I will have to call him back again. He was basically saying that isnt possible, which doesnt make sense. I will tell him to get a supervisor to make it possible or I wont book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mrak said:

I will have to call him back again. He was basically saying that isnt possible, which doesnt make sense. I will tell him to get a supervisor to make it possible or I wont book. 

I still dont understand how it said deposit due 198, but he was able to do deposit with 98.64 of old taxes and fees. I tried to see it, but since was a ta I cant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mrak said:

Unlike the past two cruises, this one is going to be $1800; not $500. I'm already hesitant to shell out that kind of money at the end of August (for final payment) with all of the uncertainty. That said, I dont want to refund...I am fine with them taking the full $535 and rolling it to the new cruise. Its the principle of the matter that he is asking me for more money out of pocket. Makes no sense to me. 

 

My PVP was able to change my final payment date to a month before my cruise. Which helped since we rescheduled to cruise Aug 2nd. I didn't have to stress about making final payment on a cruise that I wasn't sure was going to happen. Which happened to be the case. 

 

We also had a cruise cancelled in March and we did not have to pay a deposit on our future cruise. She was able to have all the money transferred to a new cruise. 

 

Donna

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jennas_mum said:

 

My PVP was able to change my final payment date to a month before my cruise. Which helped since we rescheduled to cruise Aug 2nd. I didn't have to stress about making final payment on a cruise that I wasn't sure was going to happen. Which happened to be the case. 

 

We also had a cruise cancelled in March and we did not have to pay a deposit on our future cruise. She was able to have all the money transferred to a new cruise. 

 

Donna

When is your sail date? He said they have only extended final payment for cruises sailing through September 30th

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, Royal Caribbean just instituted this policy. Would be amazing if Carnival would follow suit:

 

"For new and existing bookings created by August 1, 2020, guests have the flexibility to cancel their cruise up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a full credit of the cruise fare for a future cruise through April 2022. Royal Caribbean has also enhanced “Cruise with Confidence” with new rebooking options. The updates now available to travelers and their travel advisors include:

“Best Price Guarantee”: Guests can choose to change the price and promotional offer on their reservation up to 48 hours before their cruise.

“Lift and Shift”: For ease and as close as 48 hours prior to sailing, travelers have the option to simply “lift and shift” their cruise to the same itinerary departing on a future date. The original price and promotional offer on the reservation will be protected, along with the length of the cruise and stateroom category."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I booked the first week in March for May 24th on Pride and paid in full.  A week later the cruise was canceled.  It was a casino offer.  I had to rebook before 4/30 to take advantage of the same casino offer or request a refund.

 

I was able to transfer everything over to a new booking for next April 25 on Pride.  The price was identical and I never had to pay money out of pocket and have no money owed to me.  I even got the same cabin I originally had.  It was very easy.  The $600 OBC is applied to the new booking and all I have to do now is wait for next April.

 

If cruises aren't sailing by then, we're in deeper trouble than we thought...LOL

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar situation with a big box TA so I switched back to handling myself and dealing with Carnival myself. I spent 3 hours and 15 minutes last Friday correcting 3 bookings with mistakes from a TA, with Carnival. I actually spoke to this Carnival reps supervisor to commend her for hard work. My TA said they were too busy and I would have to wait to have bookings fixed. Its all good now though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...