Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
swdke

Final Payment if cruise could end up being cancelled?

Recommended Posts

Just wondering if people are making upcoming final payments considering the cruise could end up being cancelled?  If I have a non refundable deposit, then I don't think I can cancel and get a refund if I have a concern about the cruise being eventually cancelled.  But it just seems odd or unwise to pay the final payment if it's likely to get cancelled.  So wondering what others are doing regarding their final payment?

 

Thanks so much for your information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swdke said:

Just wondering if people are making upcoming final payments considering the cruise could end up being cancelled?  If I have a non refundable deposit, then I don't think I can cancel and get a refund if I have a concern about the cruise being eventually cancelled.  But it just seems odd or unwise to pay the final payment if it's likely to get cancelled.  So wondering what others are doing regarding their final payment?

 

Thanks so much for your information.

Under the CWC you can cancel and get all of your deposit returned as a FCC to be applied and sailed by Dec 31 2021 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Under the CWC you can cancel and get all of your deposit returned as a FCC to be applied and sailed by Dec 31 2021 

What happens if you choose to receive a refund instead of the CWC. We possibly want to cancel an October refundable reservation before final payment. We have patiently been waiting for 3 Full paid cruises of refunds and don’t want to go through the delay again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is the multiple thousand dollar question for non-refundable reservations. If you really don’t want the FCC, making the final payment then waiting for cancellation then waiting for a refund is a path, albeit not without risk. 
 

If you have a refundable deposit, just cancel it and get your money back, but I’m sure there will be a wait.

Edited by mac_tlc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, island284 said:

What happens if you choose to receive a refund instead of the CWC. We possibly want to cancel an October refundable reservation before final payment. We have patiently been waiting for 3 Full paid cruises of refunds and don’t want to go through the delay again. 

You have a refundable deposit. Not an issue before final payment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We made our final payment for Ovation sailing July 31, 2020. Not really counting on sailing, since it leaves from Seattle.

If not I will move credit forward to Freedom November 1, 2020 out of San Juan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just made my final payment for August 2nd sailing......hoping we still sail....but aware we probably won't 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You have a refundable deposit. Not an issue before final payment 

Oh, I didn’t even think about that. Thanks for reminding me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Under the CWC you can cancel and get all of your deposit returned as a FCC to be applied and sailed by Dec 31 2021 

Yes, the current CWC covers all current sailing with final payment coming due. All other sailing still outside final payment, any word on any agent webinar about moving CWC to cover the other dates as we move to the right. I believe all mine are non refundable deposit with C&A savings. "NRD saving"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, strathcona said:

Yes, the current CWC covers all current sailing with final payment coming due. All other sailing still outside final payment, any word on any agent webinar about moving CWC to cover the other dates as we move to the right. I believe all mine are non refundable deposit with C&A savings. "NRD saving"

CWC applies now to all sailings before April 2022.  That was part of today’s announcement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a non refundable deposit. My final payment is in June for my September cruise. Hopefully soon I'll hear if my cruise is cancelled before I make my final payment so I can rebook for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

I have a non refundable deposit. My final payment is in June for my September cruise. Hopefully soon I'll hear if my cruise is cancelled before I make my final payment so I can rebook for next year.

See the thread on Cruise with confidence enhanced. You can move your cruise now or cancel and get a FCC for your deposit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

See the thread on Cruise with confidence enhanced. You can move your cruise now or cancel and get a FCC for your deposit. 

If I  reschedule, will I get the same price I paid for my September cruise or  I will have to pay the new rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lauren0309 said:

If I  reschedule, will I get the same price I paid for my September cruise or  I will have to pay the new rate?

Same price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Delete

Edited by Jimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Well then how did ZoeyVictoria  just do it ?

I have no idea what you are referring to.

 

she Moved a booking just like the terms allowed her to,

 

My post was clarifying that new bookings made up until Aug 1 2020 are also eligible for the Lift and shift as I wasn’t sure earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken,  thanks so much for all your help and patience, especially with some interesting people on these boards!  You don’t have to take the time to help us all but you do, so THANK YOU!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just able to move my non-refundable cruise booking from September 2020 to September 2021 with a price reduction too, same cabin.  Hopefully it will be safer to travel by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have cruise booked on Liberty 9/6/20, with NRD, final due 6/8/20.I would like to change to Hawaii cruise on Serenade on 5/5/2021 and  move the deposit and pay the additional deposit of 400.00 they won't let me do it. I tried to book previously and they told me to book it, give deposit of 900.00 and when I get the 500.00 FCC from the 9/6/20 sailing and apply to the new booking. Things are just too iffy  to keep sending additional money. about the 9/6/20 sailing, we are in new territory that we won't know how cruises go 8/1/20. Any advice?

Edited by sugcarol
addl info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

I have cruise booked on Liberty 9/6/20, with NRD, final due 6/8/20.I would like to change to Hawaii cruise on Serenade on 5/5/2021 and  move the deposit and pay the additional deposit of 400.00 they won't let me do it. I tried to book previously and they told me to book it, give deposit of 900.00 and when I get the 500.00 FCC from the 9/6/20 sailing and apply to the new booking. Things are just too iffy  to keep sending additional money. about the 9/6/20 sailing, we are in new territory that we won't know how cruises go 8/1/20. Any advice?

I don't know what's so iffy, except cruising is on hold for a while.  I figure if we don't cruise until next April, we have a good chance of having a vaccine in us, and RCCL will have smoothed out the "new style" of cruising with fewer passengers, social distancing in the formerly cheek-to-jowl eating venues, masks, deep cleaning, etc.  

 

I cancelled a cruise this morning with an NRD going to an FCC for the full amount.  That saved $200 in fees right there.  I booked the cruise I wanted in 2022 with another deposit, knowing the FCC would pay down the balance due.

 

RCCL has set the precedence now:  if things go sideways again, they will protect themselves and their customer base.  The announcement this morning basically reverted their change and cancellation policy back to what it used to be:  no fees, switch to another cruise, etc.  Even if it's temporary, the bar has been set to this level now.

 

I would go for the cancellation/FCC because you KNOW right now that you will NOT pay a cancellation fee.

 

Oh, and the new cruise I booked was the same ship, same number of nights, almost identical itinerary, and $500 lower with a refundable deposit.

 

I've been with RCCL for 46 years, and this is the way they used to work with their customers.  I predict it will be like this, or similar, for at least 2 years.  Don't forget there is a 20% unemployment rate in the US right now, and RCCL knows that.  So, they will cater to those who want to buy a cruise, and they will be nicer to us about it. Buyer's market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly- we made the hard decision to cancel our July 31 cruise.  We had final payment coming up of appx 7K and had already paid 1200 in non refundable deposits.  Our only option was to pay the additional 7K or take the 1200 of deposit money in future cruise credit.  I really don't think our July 31 cruise will go forward and we would have received everything back once Royal cancelled, but, I have not received final payment monies back from Royal for a May cruise yet and it makes me nervous to shell out more money.

 

Of note to anyone in this situation- when I asked the Royal rep about final payment date they kind of hinted they would be willing to extend it.  Not for sure they would but worth a try if it helps anyone out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if RCL and the other cruise lines knowingly let customers make final payment on cruises that they know will be canceled just to increase their cash flow. This way they can hold on to the full payment for months. Let's face it .... this is the only way these companies are getting any cash flow. Personally, I don't blame them for doing this (because they desperately need the funds) but as customers, we have to make a decision that is best for each individual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bucket29 said:

Sadly- we made the hard decision to cancel our July 31 cruise.  We had final payment coming up of appx 7K and had already paid 1200 in non refundable deposits.  Our only option was to pay the additional 7K or take the 1200 of deposit money in future cruise credit.  I really don't think our July 31 cruise will go forward and we would have received everything back once Royal cancelled, but, I have not received final payment monies back from Royal for a May cruise yet and it makes me nervous to shell out more money.

 

Of note to anyone in this situation- when I asked the Royal rep about final payment date they kind of hinted they would be willing to extend it.  Not for sure they would but worth a try if it helps anyone out.

 

And it makes me frustrated/angry that Royal has not cancelled this cruise before I had to make the choice.  I think it is wrong to put people in this position- there is NO indication that cruising will go forward in July.   My opinion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...