Masks probably required

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No, because I was told it wad good for the greater good. My Aunt was one of the last to contract polio. I felt obligated. 

Of course there is a way around anything.  

But its sad. 

#wevaccsotheantivaxerscanlive

And don't for one minute get the impression that I am some sort of anti-vaccer. But I am very concerned about the hype, political input, and rush surrounding this future vaccine.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

And don't for one minute get the impression that I am some sort of anti-vaccer. But I am very concerned about the hype, political input, and rush surrounding this future vaccine.

No, I by no means think that. I've appreciated all you have shared on the subject recently and will definitely hesitate to be an early adopter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm def not an anti-vaccer either.  Currently waiting for our pharmacy to be able to give me the first of the shingles vaccine right now.

If we could wait a year or two to see how those getting the Covid-19 vaccine do, I would be all for it myself.  I don't like the idea of being in the 3rd testing group myself on a vaccine being rushed to market.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think this is one of the US CDC issues with the cruise industry. If this happens, I believe they want a plan for the cruise lines to handle the sick and not offload in a US Port. 

unfortunately i think you are right which is a cruise lines nightmare because  thats most folks fear.  Not being able to get off the ship if it get quarantined.  Im a cruising fanatic, but before i get back on the ships, i would need to understand how they would handle an outbreak situation.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 20165 said:

unfortunately i think you are right which is a cruise lines nightmare because  thats most folks fear.  Not being able to get off the ship if it get quarantined.  Im a cruising fanatic, but before i get back on the ships, i would need to understand how they would handle an outbreak situation.

That is also a concern of mine. I cannot have a one week vacation turn into three weeks.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thst is also a concern of mine. I cannot have a one week vacation turn into three weeks.

oh, i can just hear the conversation with my boss.  'boss, i wont be back to work because im stuck in quarantine on a cruise ship'  Boss to me 'why in the heck are you on a cruise ship, do you not watch the news??'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 20165 said:

oh, i can just hear the conversation with my boss.  'boss, i wont be back to work because im stuck in quarantine on a cruise ship'  Boss to me 'why in the heck are you on a cruise ship, do you not watch the news??'

And mine would say, "You did bring the laptop, right?  We will pay for wifi, but expect you to work."  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure that we would go in that circumstance either. We work hard, cruises are our vacation time and vacationing in a mask just doesn’t sound like a good time. We can stay home and catch up on American Horror Story on Netflix (sans mask). 

I would likely get the vaccine before DH - heck, I can’t get than man down for a flu shot (he acts like all the stuff they shot him up with during all those years in the military was enough for a lifetime 😂)

Edited by AlohaLivin

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. I get the vaccine for the flu but this is a rush job and cure may be worse than the disease. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Your come back reply could be ,"But the said it was a hoax".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree. I get the vaccine for the flu but this is a rush job and cure may be worse than the disease. 

When I was in College back in the 70s, my entire campus was marched down to the assembly hall to get the Swine Flu vaccine.  A large majority of the students and staff, including myself, were sick for days.  I will wait for a while  https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/the-public-health-legacy-of-the-1976-swine-flu-outbreak

"The Swine Flu Program was marred by a series of logistical problems ranging from the production of the wrong vaccine strain to a confrontation over liability protection to a temporal connection of the vaccine and a cluster of deaths among an elderly population in Pittsburgh. The most damning charge against the vaccination program was that the shots were correlated with an increase in the number of patients diagnosed with an obscure neurological disease known as Guillain–Barré syndrome. "

Edited by Lazz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lazz said:

When I was in College back in the 70s, my entire campus was marched down to the assembly hall to get the Swine Flu vaccine.  A large majority of the students and staff, including myself, were sick for days.  I will wait for a while

I remember my parents and the rest of the community going to the high school and standing in line to get that vaccine. They also were sick. Fortunately my brother and I never got the flu. 

I remember every school year having to have an X-ray because I always tested positive for the TB test. Every single time.

Yesterday I saw a video with some Ventura County official saying that people may have to be removed from the family apartment or home if it’s small and they test positive. So if a single Mom in a 1bath apartment has a positive test...which could be a false positive...do her kids go into foster care? Children are very low risk.

What if someone keeps testing positive as I did. Are they quarantined like Typhoid Mary until there’s a vaccine?  Unable to work or see family?

Instead of Leper Colonies, people can be carted off to COVID Confines?

Let’s see how that goes...

Edited by hazence

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

That would be unfortunate. I was hoping to get some indication of how cruising is going before my January cruise comes up. I might have to lift and shift it or just plain cancel.

Likewise.

Our next cruise is in February.

2 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Currently waiting for our pharmacy to be able to give me the first of the shingles vaccine right now.

Just wanted to say I had my first Shingrix dose in Feburary at Walgreens (pharmacy). As the pharmacies aren't giving vaccines in MD now when I became due for my second dose I looked around. Some Patient First urgent care network facilities carry Shingrix and luckily my local one was one that did and had it in stock when I called... they said come on in! Got my second dose Apr 23. Despite concern from my husband about going into an urgent care site I was one of only 2 patients there the whole length of my visit.. only one in the waiting room... saw the other patient in his own room in the back. Safer than the grocery store!

So might want to check out urgent care sites near you. A warning, the Shingrix vaccine has known side effects for many folk and I had most of them after both shots... lasted about 24 hours besides the super sore arm that lasted another day. Supposedly because it causes such a strong immune response. As my doctor said when she warned me, still better than getting Shingles! And I finally got my first dose the day my sister called and said she had Singles despite my doctor pestering me for 2 years after I turned 50.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

11 hours ago, James4me said:

What about having proof of vaccination?  I for one will not get vaccinated as I just don’t trust anyone in our government.  So, you think people will be denied cruising for proof of failure of vaccination?

Trust goes both ways.

Some countries currently require proof of certain vaccinations for entry. Would not surprise me if most countries will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination once a vaccine is available. Like visas, cruise lines will have to deny boarding to those that do not have required documentation.

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

There is no science indicating that the virus survives in highly chlorinated water.  

Is there any science indicating that the virus does not survive in highly chlorinated water?

1 hour ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Just wanted to say I had my first Shingrix dose in Feburary at Walgreens (pharmacy). As the pharmacies aren't giving vaccines in MD now when I became due for my second dose I looked around. Some Patient First urgent care network facilities carry Shingrix and luckily my local one was one that did and had it in stock when I called... they said come on in! Got my second dose Apr 23. Despite concern from my husband about going into an urgent care site I was one of only 2 patients there the whole length of my visit.. only one in the waiting room... saw the other patient in his own room in the back. Safer than the grocery store!

So might want to check out urgent care sites near you. A warning, the Shingrix vaccine has known side effects for many folk and I had most of them after both shots... lasted about 24 hours besides the super sore arm that lasted another day. Supposedly because it causes such a strong immune response. As my doctor said when she warned me, still better than getting Shingles! And I finally got my first dose the day my sister called and said she had Singles despite my doctor pestering me for 2 years after I turned 50.

Thanks! I appreciate the input on Urgent Care. A friend at work got shingles this year, and with her RA, had an awful time. Even involved the eyes. Fortunately, the doctor believes she won’t have permanent vision loss. But she still has pain in her face off and on, 5 months later. 

I had heard about the side effects, and hoped to get it during my upcoming vacation time....while we were supposed to be in AK. If the pharmacy doesn’t start back up next week, will look into Urgent Care. Appreciate it so much!

The EU with Schengen visa is considering something they call a "Covid-19 Passport" 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-mulls-covid-19-passports-to-restore-tourism-industry/

I talked with a resort hotel on Miami Beach last night about a June stay and they confirmed that face masks will be mandatory in all public areas. 

They did confirm that there would be no breakfast buffet and that the issue with the pool would be determined by the local authorities and they could not yet confirm the situation at the pool or beach. 

Trying to imagine getting enough masks for an 11 night cruise in October....each time you leave your room you’d need a new one because the one you came in the cabin with is technically dirty and should be tossed or cleaned.  Even at 1 a day each that’s 22 plus the plane and hotel stay.  Going in and out multiple times a day would need at least 3 times that.  ( 72!). I’d need an economy pack like diapers. ( And yes we get free laundry but someone would touch them so that’s not an option. )

If I bring 24 cloth ones will they let me bring everclear to spray them down each time.  Just asking....

And if I need that many I’d better learn to sew or start buying them now.

This is not to protect me but to protect others from me.  Hmmmm.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Trying to imagine getting enough masks for an 11 night cruise in October....each time you leave your room you’d need a new one because the one you came in the cabin with is technically dirty and should be tossed or cleaned.  Even at 1 a day each that’s 22 plus the plane and hotel stay.  Going in and out multiple times a day would need at least 3 times that.  ( 72!). I’d need an economy pack like diapers. ( And yes we get free laundry but someone would touch them so that’s not an option. )

If I bring 24 cloth ones will they let me bring everclear to spray them down each time.  Just asking....

And if I need that many I’d better learn to sew or start buying them now.

This is not to protect me but to protect others from me.  Hmmmm.

If you bring cloth reusable ones, I would think you'd maybe only need 3 or so per person.  You could just rotate them, washing in between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn’t seem very clean to take a germ covered mask and scrub them in my tiny ship sink.  Remember in theory this mask may have Covid 19 on the outside of it.  In trying to do so you may contaminate the sink and surrounding area. You’d need to then sanitize the sink, faucet and counter afterward for sure.  But you me given me food for thought and I’ll think about it.  It might be time to invest in one of those little portable washing bags.  ( I’ve tried ziplocks which didn’t hold and made a splashing mess.)

It might be better to spray them down with Everclear and re-use them rather then trying to wash them in your cabin.  Best would be disposable. Hopefully by then we’ll have more made in the USA masks available to buy.

Seems crazy to even discuss this on cruise critic but it might be information we need to know when cruising for a while.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1