Latest Message from LLP regarding Crew

Dear XXXX

I sincerely hope you and your family continue to stay healthy during this terribly difficult time. Despite all that’s happening in the world, I continue to receive many wonderful notes from you, our loyal Captain’s Club members. There are two things I hear from you most frequently. First, you write to tell me that you can’t wait to get back on board. I can’t wait either. And second, you want to know how our crew is doing. It’s clear you care about them as much as we do.

The COVID-19 pandemic has been difficult for all of us, but it’s been especially hard for our crew members. They have been on board far beyond what we had originally planned. We’ve been doing everything in our power to keep them safe, healthy, and take good care of them. We have spent the last several weeks working with organizations and governments around the world to get our remaining crew home safely. This has included chartering flights and utilizing ships within the RCL fleet. We continue to work aggressively through ever-increasing restrictions to get everyone who wants to return home back to their families as soon as governments allow. We’re excited to share that we expect to do this over the next few weeks.

Coincidentally, today is my 35th anniversary with this amazing company. And nobody has inspired that journey more than our crew. Even today, their energy and love shines through in a lot of beautiful ways. They’re showing us what it means to be resilient and compassionate and to put others’ needs before our own. Their own personal stories, pictures, and art captures their spirit better than we ever could.
The Crew
They, like me, can’t wait to see you all again.
We cant Wait
We invite you to follow along with us to support our crew at celebritycruises.com/blog/i-am-celebrity and on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter channels where we’ll share their content using #IAMCELEBRITY. 

We look forward to calmer seas ahead and welcoming you back on board soon. Know that we are working hard to ensure that when we return to service, our ships will provide a healthy and safe environment for our guests and our crew. 

Until then all my very best,
LLP, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises
LLP
President & CEO, Celebrity Cruises

• Thanks 1

There are two things I hear from you most frequently. First, you write to tell me that you can’t wait to get back on board. I can’t wait either. And second, you want to know how our crew is doing.

I must wonder where "What about my refund?" ranks in LLP's list of queries from Captains Club members writing to her.  "Why are you still selling cruises bound to be cancelled?"  would have to rank highly on the list as well, I suspect.

Edited by marieps
  • Like 9

25 minutes ago, marieps said:

There are two things I hear from you most frequently. First, you write to tell me that you can’t wait to get back on board. I can’t wait either. And second, you want to know how our crew is doing.

I must wonder where "What about my refund?" ranks in LLP's list of queries from Captains Club members writing to her.  "Why are you still selling cruises bound to be cancelled?"  would have to rank highly on the list as well, I suspect.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Received the email and came on here to complain about the BS and yet no refunds. Your post saved me the trouble.

• Like 1

Perhaps Ms. Lutoff-Perlo is being disingenuous about the messages she receives, OR perhaps most people realize that refunds on this scale are unprecedented, and have some patience. 

Honestly the idea that every communication from Celebrity should be focused on refunds is evidence of selfishness of the first order.  The refunds are happening.  If you can't stand waiting, dispute it on your credit card. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Perhaps Ms. Lutoff-Perlo is being disingenuous about the messages she receives, OR perhaps most people realize that refunds on this scale are unprecedented, and have some patience. 

Honestly the idea that every communication from Celebrity should be focused on refunds is evidence of selfishness of the first order.  The refunds are happening.  If you can't stand waiting, dispute it on your credit card. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I certainly appreciate refunds on this scale are unprecedented but there has been little or no correspondence from Celebrity about refunds. Honestly. Taking fare payments for cruises that will not happen and at the same time almost neglecting refund payments is bad business. 

And yes I do think Ms Lutoff-Perlo is not being upfront. You can't tell me she gets more correspondence about crew, or sailing again, than refunds. I haven't emailed her or anyone else because this takes time but they are dragging the chain now in my opinion. 

• Like 4

When I saw this thread, I thought it would be nice to have fresh information from Celebrity’s CEO, Ms. Perlo about the safety and well being of the crews, and selfishly, may be a bit, to also have her perspective regarding the future of Celebrity Cruises on a short or medium term range.

The letter from Ms. Perlo is not as detailed as I hoped but it does provide information on the well-being of the crew, which I appreciated. I am happy to learn that the company seems to be taking care of its employees and doing what it can to bring them back home. 

This said, fellow Cruise Critics Members, I don’t understand why this thread is taking a turn focused on refunds. We already have a few threads on this topic. In my opinion, ( I understand that people still waiting for refunds, can be very anxious about this significant issue for them), it would have been nice to keep the refund discussion on the threads pertaining specifically to that issue.

Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Interview just now on British TV with 2 crew British crew members (Lauren Carrick and Joseph Harrison) currently stuck on Celebrity Infinity in the The Bahamas.

They describe terrible conditions, locked in their cabins for 21 hours a day (for a few weeks it was 24 hours a day).  They say the atmosphere on board is terrible and people are suffering health issues.  They are concerned because they claim that in a bid to save money Celebrity will not fly them home but is instead choosing to spend 16 days sailing them home. Lauren went on to claim that women are feeling particularly vulnerable on board.

They said the only crew who got balcony cabins were smokers.  They were moved from their crew cabin to one with a window only after intervention by their Member of Parliament,

Edited by DYKWIA
  • Like 1

Just watched that interview. I feel so sorry for them. The young woman was struggling to hold herself together. The whole situation seems totally ridiculous. They stated the ship had been clean / infection free since the middle of April. So why the heck will ports not allow them to just dock and disembark everyone. They said the crew from Asia, except those from India, and crew from Eastern Europe have now been flown home. But they are reliant on charter flights being arranged, and five had already been cancelled. I thought it was dreadful that the smokers were given priority, so unfair. I just hope their ordeal will soon be over. They said they will not be performing on cruise ships again.

I wonder if the idea to sail them home is also a way to get at least one ship to the Mediterranean, just in case a few itineraries can be operated?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I wonder if the idea to sail them home is also a way to get at least one ship to the Mediterranean, just in case a few itineraries can be operated?

Constellation is in the Med docked at Piraeus

Clearly the e-mail is a result of a PR campaign to hold on to loyal customers.  Is that cynical?  IMO the truth lies somewhere in the middle regarding the crew.  I have no doubt that some have spent some pretty lonely hours in isolation (on some ships) while others may have enjoyed more freedoms.  To be certain, living in limbo on a ship has to be hell for those who just want to get home.

I think addressing refunds is legitimate.  I'm still waiting on mine.  But I think the best PR move LLP can make at this point is to compose an email that cuts through the feel good fluff and gets to the heart of what's on people's minds.

Be transparent about:

• What health safety measures are you putting place for when cruising resumes?
  • What do you anticipate operations to look like for Celebrity pre-vaccine?
  • What's the reason behind the lengthy refund process?

At this point, I will remain loyal, Lisa...give me some transparency in return.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

35 years too long.

35 years with Royal...but already way too long with  Celebrity.  Finalizing the demise of X as  a sep entity,  with its own special identity will be one of the takeaways of her tenure!

Edited by hcat

All this time we've been told that LLP wanted to uplift women and LGBT.  How were these groups informed and cared for after disembarking Eclipse?  To the current crew on infinity, who's not getting the shaft?  Well, actions speak louder than words, she is giving top concern to the smokers!  Want your refund?  Hack a bit over the phone, and insist you just lit a Camel.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't doubt for a minute that X loyalists have expressed to LLP their desire to return to cruising, and their concerns for the crews affected.  Of course we feel for them, especially since many of us have befriended our favorites, having experienced their service on multiple voyages.  It's just that her letter ignores other concerns she obviously also has heard.  Just a line or reassurance would have been nice.  That's all I'm saying.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Clearly the e-mail is a result of a PR campaign to hold on to loyal customers.  Is that cynical?  IMO the truth lies somewhere in the middle regarding the crew.  I have no doubt that some have spent some pretty lonely hours in isolation (on some ships) while others may have enjoyed more freedoms.  To be certain, living in limbo on a ship has to be hell for those who just want to get home.

I think addressing refunds is legitimate.  I'm still waiting on mine.  But I think the best PR move LLP can make at this point is to compose an email that cuts through the feel good fluff and gets to the heart of what's on people's minds.

Be transparent about:

I guess you are a more loyal Captain's Club member than me.  I did not receive this email.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I guess you are a more loyal Captain's Club member than me.  I did not receive this email.

Interesting.  I would think that it would go to all the Captain's Club members but as you mention this, DH said he did not get an e-mail either.  

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Be transparent about:

I think that what we need to recognize is the fact that Cruise Critic members have a very different perspective on Celebrity, be it positive or negative, than does the average passenger. We are by far the minority, and emails of this nature really aren't intended for us as the target audience. To use a sports analogy, some people are just happy to know that their home team won, while others want all the gory details, stats, and rumours, plus a detailed forecast for the next game and the rest of the season. LLP is writing to the casual fan who takes in a game every couple of years. As you so nicely worded it, "the feel good fluff".

I posted on the refund board that moments ago I realized I had received my tax/port charge refund on the cancelled 3/27 Silhouette sailing.  I came as a credit on my CC yesterday.  Have faith.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think that what we need to recognize is the fact that Cruise Critic members have a very different perspective on Celebrity, be it positive or negative, than does the average passenger. We are by far the minority, and emails of this nature really aren't intended for us as the target audience. To use a sports analogy, some people are just happy to know that their home team won, while others want all the gory details, stats, and rumours, plus a detailed forecast for the next game and the rest of the season. LLP is writing to the casual fan who takes in a game every couple of years. As you so nicely worded it, "the feel good fluff".

I hear you, Fouremco.  I don't disagree with you.  But it does make me wonder if that's the case (your sports analogy), then why not make sure this type of e-mail reaches the masses, while tailoring a more in depth view of what's going on with Celebrity to the CC minority?  Maybe they are, I don't know.  I don't follow Celebrity on social media.

Don't get me wrong.  The gesture behind the e-mail was nice.  Who wouldn't want reassurances about the crew? and I think it's wise from a PR and marketing stand point to keep them flowing...at some point, more substance will be necessary.

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I hear you, Fouremco.  I don't disagree with you.  But it does make me wonder if that's the case (your sports analogy), then why not make sure this type of e-mail reaches the masses, while tailoring a more in depth view of what's going on with Celebrity to the CC minority?  Maybe they are, I don't know.  I don't follow Celebrity on social media.

Don't get me wrong.  The gesture behind the e-mail was nice.  Who wouldn't want reassurances about the crew? and I think it's wise from a PR and marketing stand point to keep them flowing...at some point, more substance will be necessary.

An excellent question. I guess I'm not convinced that current Celebrity management actually cares about what is said/asked/discussed by the CC minority. I'm not even sure that they still have anyone monitoring this board.

CC is one of the few places I have seen that people will endlessly bash a product, leadership, decisions, specific people, etc. then the next post is "well once I complete my next 316 cruises with Celebrity and book 9 more...we are done!!! No more! When do bookings for 2023 open???"  🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

CC is one of the few places I have seen that people will endlessly bash a product, leadership, decisions, specific people, etc. then the next post is "well once I complete my next 316 cruises with Celebrity and book 9 more...we are done!!! No more! When do bookings for 2023 open???"  🤔

Post of the Day Winner!!

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1