Cruise Critic Community
Sunchaser46

Cancellation Insurance

I have a cruise booked with HAC for March, 2021. Can I now purchase cancel for any reason insurance after I’ve booked? Does it depend on what company I purchase insurance from? I appreciate any input!

If you purchase the insurance from HAL, you can purchase it any time up until you make final payment on the cruise.

Please understand though that if you purchase it now or at any time prior to final payment if you cancel your cruise you will still have to pay the cost of that insurance.  Our very trusted TA advised us long ago to wait until final payment to make the purchase.  

1 hour ago, regnig said:

Please understand though that if you purchase it now or at any time prior to final payment if you cancel your cruise you will still have to pay the cost of that insurance.  Our very trusted TA advised us long ago to wait until final payment to make the purchase.

Depends on the state. In some, if you cancel before any penalty is due, the insurance has to be refunded. So if you book with a refundable deposit and cancel before final payment (or whatever the first penalty date is), you get your insurance payment back because the insurance company was not liable for anything.