Cruise Critic Community
Janet76

Can't use FCC as a deposit for future booking

We opt for some in FCC and rest as cash refund for canceled May 2020 sailing.  Called today to rebook for 2021 and HAL would not use FCC as a deposit for future sailing.  HAL said FCC is for base fare only.  We are still waiting for cash refund for May  sailing.  HAL says minimum 6 months or longer for refunds.  Are you kidding me?  Why would we pay  you when the refund is now taking more than 6 months.  We told HAL agent we would not rebook until refund is back in our accounts.  HAL's customer service is truly atrocious.  With the current pending lawsuits, convertible bonds and loans CCL is taking on, this tells me the company is headed towards bankruptcy.  OUR MONEY IS DOWN THE DRAIN.

Posted (edited)

It has been the policy from the start:   FCC for use towards base fare only, not for deposit, air, etc.  I think this was quite clear and sorry you missed it.  This can wreck plans, but it is what it is. 

FYI: My refund from a March 15 sailing hasn't come in yet, so there are others in the same boat as you, waiting and waiting.

Edited by SilvertoGold

What they did do on my booking was reduce the deposit by the amount of the fees and taxes that i was owed.  

our FCC is exactly $350 and the deposit for 2021 sailing is $350 so we wanted to use FCC towards the deposit but HAL said NO.  

Posted (edited)

I would call again? 

Here are the FCC terms and conditions.      Scott.

FCCs may only be applied to the cruise fare of a new cruise or Land+Sea Journey reservation with Holland America Line. All FCCs expire 12 months from the date of issue, but can be used towards Holland America Line cruises sailing through December 31, 2022, and are subject to published terms, conditions, and restrictions. For guests not paid in full, the FCC when applied to cruise fare, will waive any deposit requirement for the new cruise. For guests paid in full, funds guest paid in excess of the amount retained for purposes of calculating the FCC value may be applied toward the deposit amount required on a new booking. Offer cannot be transferred. FCCs may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, fees and port expenses, Cancellation Protection Plans, FlightEase air, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services. FCCs may be subject to additional terms and conditions. Guests or their travel advisors should verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time the new reservation is booked. For guests’ convenience, FCCs are built in direct association with Mariner Numbers so they will automatically be credited toward the cruise fare of the next Holland America Line sailing booked by the guest. Offer available to single, double, triple, and quad occupancy guests.

Source:   https://em.hollandamerica.com/pub/sf/FormLink?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGNk0v6LdRAe72zeT3CfHY5cSALmt5kX2m2khjO1abfuB8JPTUtHzcLO6CVXMtX%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGNk0v6LdRAe72zeT3CfHY5cRyJ8dIzgbqCuIdorA0rIEnSezgCRRzaTzdp1R&_ei_=EiUKvB23Nkn9mZvRKwAECTEpp_IV32A3bVn-Q6cXiBw.&_di_=plcercml5cfrd745sf0i3g6i0uqjmhtvka4vbgc6grco3hqlv5cg

Edited by YXU AC*SE

2 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

I would call again? 

FCCs may only be applied to the cruise fare of a new cruise or Land+Sea Journey reservation with Holland America Line. All FCCs expire 12 months from the date of issue, but can be used towards Holland America Line cruises sailing through December 31, 2022, and are subject to published terms, conditions, and restrictions. For guests not paid in full, the FCC when applied to cruise fare, will waive any deposit requirement for the new cruise. For guests paid in full, funds guest paid in excess of the amount retained for purposes of calculating the FCC value may be applied toward the deposit amount required on a new booking. Offer cannot be transferred. FCCs may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, fees and port expenses, Cancellation Protection Plans, FlightEase air, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services. FCCs may be subject to additional terms and conditions. Guests or their travel advisors should verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time the new reservation is booked. For guests’ convenience, FCCs are built in direct association with Mariner Numbers so they will automatically be credited toward the cruise fare of the next Holland America Line sailing booked by the guest. Offer available to single, double, triple, and quad occupancy guests.

Source:   https://em.hollandamerica.com/pub/sf/FormLink?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGNk0v6LdRAe72zeT3CfHY5cSALmt5kX2m2khjO1abfuB8JPTUtHzcLO6CVXMtX%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGNk0v6LdRAe72zeT3CfHY5cRyJ8dIzgbqCuIdorA0rIEnSezgCRRzaTzdp1R&_ei_=EiUKvB23Nkn9mZvRKwAECTEpp_IV32A3bVn-Q6cXiBw.&_di_=plcercml5cfrd745sf0i3g6i0uqjmhtvka4vbgc6grco3hqlv5cg

Thank you...

Posted (edited)

We have many cruises booked. Three have been cancelled. We elected to take the %125 booking bonus and $250 OBC bonus. We have now received two of the three (six weeks later)bonuses and have rebooked future cruises. The third one (scheduled for 10/3/2020) just cancelled on 5/6/20, so don't expect that credit to show until sometime in July. We'll continue to book into the future. If the cruise cancels, then another bonus/bonus will be on our books. I still look forward to our next sailaway

Edited by boze9999

I know it is not much help, but in Europe we can use the FCC for a deposit.

You will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit. The minimum bonus FCC amount is 100. For example, if you paid 200 per person, each person will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount paid plus a bonus FCC of 200. If you booked under one of our special low deposit deals and paid less than 100 per person, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit of the amount paid plus 100 per person bonus FCC. These credits may be used toward the deposit of a new booking, and the full Terms & Conditions can be found below.

Try again!

it seems to me that many of the agents aren't aware of what compensation each customer got and don't read notes in the file or something. 

I called yesterday and was told I was either getting refund OR FCC and I had to explain to her that the email I got from HAL said I would get both, she had to escalate me. 

I also learned the hard way that the FCC could not be used for a deposit......We were pumped to sail again and apply our FCC to a 2021 Europe cruise....Then we were told that we'd need to cough up $600 more for deposits.  Not going to happen right now. 

I'm all about the 25% bonus and I so want to sail again with HAL but the $$ at risk has me concerned. 

14 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Holland cancelled 3 cruises I rebooked 3 cruises they moved my FCC over no problem.

Gail/Marty --- were new deposits required on your new bookings?

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

No money out of pocket. the FCD was transferred.

Thanks for your reply.... I need to call them back !

I finally reached out to my TA.  I've had two cruises booked and cancelled.  Put deposits on both, had  one excursion paid for, had a beverage package paid for, one cruise paid in full and the second cruise deposit only paid...I think I know what I am due in cash refunds and I thought I knew what I was due in FCCs but I got the strangest email from HAL yesterday that didn't match any of it as far as FCCs...so I give up and am hoping my TA can figure it out otherwise I will call HAL and stay on the phone as many hours as it takes to get an answer.  I have a third cruise booked for next April - all the FCCs can go toward it so now I just want my $$...the 60 days will be up on May 30 so we'll see.....I'm not upset...yet...

I booked a Sept 2021 cruise on the Ryndam just 2 months ago.

I also had a Oct 3, 2020 Rotterdam cruise deposited, but final payment has not been paid yet, scheduled for July 4, 2020.   I just received the cancellation notice for the Oct 3, 2020 cruise and the bonus FCC.

The wording on the bonus FCC says the value of my original deposit on the Oct 2020 cancelled cruise will be doubled and it can be used for a NEW BOOKING as part of the cruise fare.   Because I have already booked and deposited the Sept 2021 Ryndam cruise,  will I get my cancelled cruise deposit be doubled and applied to my cruise fare ?  Or, does the new booking have to occur after receipt of the cancellation notice ?

There is a sentence that says it's the NEW bookings that it can be applied to. I'm going to ask my TA if that means we can cancel a booking for next summer and then rebook and allow the FCC to be applied...she's away until Monday...shall find out next week.

2 minutes ago, janmcn said:

There is a sentence that says it's the NEW bookings that it can be applied to. I'm going to ask my TA if that means we can cancel a booking for next summer and then rebook and allow the FCC to be applied...she's away until Monday...shall find out next week.

For guests not paid in full, the FCC whenapplied to cruise fare, will waive any deposit requirement for the new cruise.

We have not had the chance to call but I think HAL will waive a deposit if not paid in full. 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:58 PM, YXU AC*SE said:

I would call again? 

I assume that they one-year life of the FCC applies only to the pandemic cancellations and not to the FCC's that we purchase while onboard?  Aren't those good for four years?

Posted (edited)

Future Cruise Deposits -  FCDs -  that you buy on board are good for 4 years.  If you don't use them they will be returned to you at the end of that period. Future Cruise Credits - FCCs - are not the same as FCDs.  I'm not sure how long they last - it will probably be in whatever agreement you have with HAL.  I think the ones we received were good through 2021. - Or at least something had to be booked in 2021.  Something like that.

Edited by Vict0riann

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Future Cruise Deposits -  FCDs -  that you buy on board are good for 4 years.  If you don't use them they will be returned to you at the end of that period. Future Cruise Credits - FCCs - are not the same as FCDs.  I'm not sure how long they last - it will probably be in whatever agreement you have with HAL.  I think the ones we received were good through 2021. - Or at least something had to be booked in 2021.  Something like that.

Thank you.  I was confusing FCC's with FCD's.

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Thank you.  I was confusing FCC's with FCD's.

Just too many acronyms in the cruising world!  Don't forget OBCs and PCCs.  🥴

I was told today that our doubled deposit from an October 2020 Rotterdam cruise that was just cancelled, would be applied to our final payment for a Sept 2021 cruise, even though we booked the 2021 cruise before the virus screwed everything up.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, TAD2005 said:

I was told today that our doubled deposit from an October 2020 Rotterdam cruise that was just cancelled, would be applied to our final payment for a Sept 2021 cruise, even though we booked the 2021 cruise before the virus screwed everything up.

Wow. Really? From HAL or TA? It didn’t sound like that from the letter which indicated “new bookings”...my TA said Seattle is very confused at the moment so I’ll wait. Would love to have it applied to a 2021 cruise we booked right after our Med Cruise was cancelled.