Impact of Quarantine for U.S. passengers?

We used our FCC (which covered the amount paid for our deposit) yesterday, by booking on the CMV website.  We actually booked a cruise which was less than half the price of our original cruise, but was still more than the cost of our voucher.

The booking was straight forward and when the voucher code was applied, the voucher amount was deducted, but from the remaining balance and we had to pay the normal deposit amount for that cruise (£125pp), which we did.  Of course we are not insured for cancellation or curtailment due to COVID at present (in fact not sure that we would be insured at all since FCO still advising against travel) but the extra £250 will be covered by ABTA if CMV go bust.  We decided to take that risk though for the small amount concerned and we hope to get full insurance before our balance will need to be paid (which is after our annual insurance needs renewed next April).  We decided to go ahead with the booking as we are fussy about cabin location and are not sure what will happen to prices once travel restrictions are relaxed.  Good to have something to look forward to as well.

CMV have got some pretty strong T&C's in place for new bookings now regards not being responsible financially if you are not allowed onto/off the ship due to being suspected of having COVID by them or a port, so worth reading before making a booking.

For our situation the voucher worked well as we did not want to pay the balance and can easily hop on the cruise from our local port.  Just got our fingers crossed this will all be over before we are due to go and we are still in good health.  Hope everyone else reading this remains well too. 

Edited by tring

@tring

Thank you for the link and background on the ABTA coverage. I've purchased "cancel for any reason (CFAR)" coverage just in case, although I am hopeful that we will be able to fly to the UK in Sept. without the 14 day quarantine as we are both still working and wont want to use most of our years' vacation on quarantine (14 days is longer than the cruise) and I definitely don't have enough vacation to do 14 days both ends of a 11 day cruise!

Our Baltic cruise is on the Astoria and this fall looks like the last opportunity for any cruise aboard her (believe there are 2 others trips in Oct, but I have wanted to do CMV's Hidden Baltic for a couple years so I was glad these 2 meshed!

@comcox

Have you found a Roll Call for this 27 September 2020 CMV Astoria Hidden Baltics cruise in the "other" Roll Calls? 

I looked through about 8 pages of the most recent Roll Calls and didn't see one. However, I did stumble across your request for CC to create a CMV Roll Call section like other cruise lines wherein you mentioned 3 Roll Calls for CMV cruises.  So... if you are aware of a Roll Call for this cruise, can you post the link here? I f I don't hear/see a response, I will create one later this week and post the link here.

I had the same issue with my 2 previous CMV cruises and emailed/contacted  the POCs listed but nothing happened, so I'm not going through that effort again. I'll just post frequent updates as I find out info and try to keep the Roll Call on the first few pages where it can be found!  Frustratingly, people have created Roll Calls uder "other" for cruise lines that have their own (prominent) forum sub-category by line and ships.

9 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

@comcox

Have you found a Roll Call for this 27 September 2020 CMV Astoria Hidden Baltics cruise in the "other" Roll Calls? 

I looked through about 8 pages of the most recent Roll Calls and didn't see one. However, I did stumble across your request for CC to create a CMV Roll Call section like other cruise lines wherein you mentioned 3 Roll Calls for CMV cruises.  So... if you are aware of a Roll Call for this cruise, can you post the link here? I f I don't hear/see a response, I will create one later this week and post the link here.

I had the same issue with my 2 previous CMV cruises and emailed/contacted  the POCs listed but nothing happened, so I'm not going through that effort again. I'll just post frequent updates as I find out info and try to keep the Roll Call on the first few pages where it can be found!  Frustratingly, people have created Roll Calls uder "other" for cruise lines that have their own (prominent) forum sub-category by line and ships.

I've always used Roll Calls for my cruises but like several other CMV cruisers we've given up on the Roll Call section because the Admin has never created a separate section for us, even though Fred Olsen and P&O each have one.  It's just too difficult to find our CMV sailings in this "Other" section.  For CMV I now use Facebook instead for keeping up to date on everything CMV.

p.s. I'm on the 21 September Magellan Hidden Baltics.

P&O have cancelled all sailings until October the 15th:-    https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories

Within the text on their website they say, "We are working with government and industry bodies at the highest possible level, such as Public Health England and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to review every aspect of a holiday with us and establish a framework of policies and procedures. Our aspiration is to be adopting best practice in managing COVID-19 within the travel industry."

Fred also sent out a a similar text in an email a week or so ago, about working with other cruise lines, Government, Public Health England etc. about a way forward when cruises re start regards what will be needed on their ships.

Hence all UK cruise companies likely to be going along a similar route perhaps?  Info. for non Brits - P&O sail out of the UK, but have a wider age span compared to CMV and Fred, so less of a vulnerable age group, so may be viable to start with one or more family friendly ships first, but looks like even that will not happen before mid Oct.

Government having a second look at the quarantine, but IMO that will not be the problem for September cruises sailing out of the UK and only likely to be relaxed for certain countries - if that.  Sad situation, but so is a lot about the current situation.

Edited by tring

As an American I can say that we have been stuck at home.. well aside from the protests on the streets we have to reconsider our plans for both the summer and winter vacations. I doubt we will be able to travel anywhere soon. I only hope that there will be no more problem in the homeland. This is like the number one priority right now

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

As an American I can say that we have been stuck at home.. well aside from the protests on the streets we have to reconsider our plans for both the summer and winter vacations. I doubt we will be able to travel anywhere soon. I only hope that there will be no more problem in the homeland. This is like the number one priority right now

My thoughts are with you and also my niece and her family who are in Salt Lake City, though I do not know how things are there, or even how far out of the centre they live.  She is high risk of the virus due to a medical condition and her husband is also in a risk group.

Seeing your recent events on our news I did tend to think that there must be a lot of pent up frustration due to COVID restraints, that may well have had an effect on tipping peaceful protests into what they have become in some places.  We saw Trump's announcement live last night and his walk to the church.  Must admit my immediate thoughts at the time of the latter, and his photo opportunity, mirrored what has since been said by the US bishop for the area.

Sadly scenes we have been watching will not be helping with COVID restraints, so hope all calms down soon for all reasons.

I wish you well for your health and also hope you manage to do something with holiday plans, though admit we are thinking it is better not to plan too far ahead over the coming year. 

Edited by tring