YOU CAN FORCE CARNIVAL TO REFUND YOUR MONEY

Our 4/27/20 Mediterranean cruise was canceled by Carnival on 3/19/20.  On 3/20/20 I requested full refund and was told it would take up to 7 business days to appear on my Carnival Mastercard as a refund.  Repeated calls with Carnival over weeks resulted in them pointing fingers at the bank, saying the refund was processed in a timely manner, then later changing their story to "refunds are taking longer than normal."  After a month and a half I got fed up and told the credit card issuer I wanted them to proactively go after my money from Carnival.  That was three days ago.  This morning I got an email from Mastercard saying my dispute was resolved.  I checked my credit card account and the refund is posted!  Point is, if you're sick and tired of waiting for Carnival to refund your money, you can file a dispute (you'll have to provide details like date of purchase, date of expected refund, date of cruise) and hopefully your credit card issuer will take care of business with Carnival when they don't refund your money for months.

• Like 5

Last time I had to resort to something like this (my card number had been stolen)

The dispute resolution team credited my card the disputed charges in about 3 days (while the dispute was investigated) and then about a month later, I received an e-mail telling me the investigation was complete and the credits would remain in my account.

(of course a new card was issued)

The Fair Credit Billing Act, a federal law passed in 1974 gives you the right to dispute charges in case you are dissatisfied with the transaction through a process called Claims and Defenses. You must file a report on a disputed purchase within 60 days of the statement date on which the charge appeared. 

✌️

The credit card company issued the refund, then writes to the merchant and can keep the temporary credit on your account up to 90 days while the merchant issues their credit.

It doesnt speed up the merchant. Not unless the credit card company did a cnargeback. I'd have to know current terms they have with the merchant right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ObstructedView2 said:

The Fair Credit Billing Act, a federal law passed in 1974 gives you the right to dispute charges in case you are dissatisfied with the transaction through a process called Claims and Defenses. You must file a report on a disputed purchase within 60 days of the statement date on which the charge appeared. 

✌️

I would agree except for the 60 days. It's not that cut and dried. You order a wedding dress and dont get it for 6 months, some disputes you have longer to file.

The credit card company basically has 90 days to close your dispute. 

It's true your credit card company will try and not open the dispute the longer you wait.

I booked an MSC cruise in Oct 2019 for Oct 2020.  I canceled, well before final payment, in March 2020.  No refund within the promised time (I think it was 20 business days, I could be wrong) so I disputed the charge...6 months after I had made the charge.  The cc company gave me a temp credit...and sent the dispute to MSC on 5/5.  MSC has until 6/5 to respond.  If not, it will be a permanent credit.

Considering how horrible Barclay customer service has been in the past, I have my doubts that they did much of anything. I know of some who had a Carnival Legend June European cruise refunded the other day. I'm thinking coincidence.

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The credit card company issued the refund, then writes to the merchant and can keep the temporary credit on your account up to 90 days while the merchant issues their credit.

It doesnt speed up the merchant. Not unless the credit card company did a cnargeback. I'd have to know current terms they have with the merchant right now. 

it does if it closes the case as in his case .  likely carnival did not dispute it and it it is resolved.  in some cases yes you get the temp credit and then they fight it out or wait for the merchant to refund it. 

I cancelled my shore excursions and Cheers on 3/20 and yesterday and today received credit back on my Carnival Mastercard.

Just an FYI, once a dispute is filed with any merchant on any card,  you can't use that card to make future purchases with same mechant.  So you might now have a Carnival Mastercard that will not be able to charge Carnival product with.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EarloftheSeas said:

I cancelled my shore excursions and Cheers on 3/20 and yesterday and today received credit back on my Carnival Mastercard.

Just an FYI, once a dispute is filed with any merchant on any card,  you can't use that card to make future purchases with same mechant.  So you might now have a Carnival Mastercard that will not be able to charge Carnival product with.

Hmm....I disputed a small charge and it was auto-charged again the next month on the same card.

2 hours ago, EarloftheSeas said:

This is not the case with Sam's Mastercard - My refunds are coming in slowly for Cruise, Spa Packages and Excursions and just yesterday I charged a Spa Package for my upcoming cruise in August 2020 - Carnival took my money without blinking and the same card I have disputed charges with Carnival accepted the charge -

I even asked Carnival if they would just move the Spa Package from the cancelled cruise to the new cruise - nope

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Considering how horrible Barclay customer service has been in the past, I have my doubts that they did much of anything. I know of some who had a Carnival Legend June European cruise refunded the other day. I'm thinking coincidence.

I can’t really see Barclays really going out of their way either. As a merchant, the most difficult bank to fight chargebacks with is American Express.

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Good thing these aren’t legitimate charges. You can’t charge for services not rendered.

The point is that these were legitimate charges when they were made. The problem is not that they were illegitimate, it is the speed of the refunds. The cruise lines say they are being processed, but will take time. Many are saying way too slow.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The point is that these were legitimate charges when they were made. The problem is not that they were illegitimate, it is the speed of the refunds. The cruise lines say they are being processed, but will take time. Many are saying way too slow.

They are no longer legitimate charges.

• Like 2

I charged my deposit which was in Aug 2019 and final payment which was in February 2020.  Both are now a credit on my charge card while they work with Carnival.  If Carnival does not want my business in the future because I have disputed the charges then so be it.  I will not cruise again until all my monies are returned to me.

I have the same situation with a Princess cruise, but I have a future cruise with Princess for 2021.  I plan to go on that cruise.  If they cancel me because I have disputed a cruise they cancelled that was due to sail May 16th, so be it.  It would be their loss.

All total I have $6500+ in dispute - why do I have to wait 60 - 90 days when they wanted their money 75 days paid in full prior to sail date ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1