Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
OSUTRIKERS

Refunds - any received to date?

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

 

Good luck with the phone call.  Can you report back what you learned?  This topic appears to be a big question mark.

 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, StartrainDD said:

Our refund of taxes, fees, and Flight Ease (return from Amsterdam) from our April 6 canceled cruise finally hit our account last night.  Like our traveling friends, we are $200 short ($100/pp) which may be the FCD we originally used to book the cruise - but the FCD's have not been returned for us to reuse.  Guess a phone call is in order.

 

Hello Silver!

 

I called.  Got through with no wait.  Long story, we will need to send an e-mail to this address:  reservations_submit@hollandamerica.com .  These FCD’s seem to be falling through the cracks…

 

I am pasting my e-mail (less personal information).  You can then just change the needed info for yourself and send one too.  I of course, have not yet received a response to the e-mail...

 

 

After a long wait some time ago we received FCC’s for our canceled sailing on the (ship name & date).  These appear to be correct.

 

Last night, a credit arrived to our credit card.  That amount appears to be $200 short, which is the value of the FCD’s used to book this cruise.  The FCD numbers were  (if not known, need to call HAL to obtain).

 

These FCD’s do not appear in my account on-line.  We would be just as happy (in fact, would prefer) to have the FCD’s re-instated as we would to receive a cash refund.

 

I was told to provide identifying information in this message.  DOB is ________.  My mariner number is __________.

 

This cruise was paid for as follows:

FCD: $200

Visa payment : $amount on date.

Total amount paid:  $amount + FCD.

 

“Credits” have been received as follows:

FCC for name:  $______  ($_______ plus 25% bonus)

FCC for name:  $______ ($_______ plus 25% bonus)

Total above:  $amount BEFORE bonus

Refund to Visa (taxes, fees, and Flight Ease) received date:  $amount

Total amount recovered:  $sum of FCC base and refund - likely $200 short

 

Balance remaining:  $Original amount paid - $base amount of FCD's and refund = $200.00.

 

Please let me know if the $200 will be refunded to the Visa card or if the FCD’s will be reinstated.  I can be contacted by phone if preferred at (number).

 

I hope this helps!  I will report back when I hear from them.  There is a cruise in Dec of 2021 we would like to book but I would much rather use an FCD to book it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

If HAL cancelled your cruise, use the credit card dispute route.

What are you waiting for - it is obvious the cruise lines are not interested in providing refunds in any timely manner.

Protect your interests.

 

 

I tried that along with my travel insurance.   Both refused due to the cancellation email I received from the cruiseline. 

 

Three ships were cancelled the night before sailing.  I was scheduled for one of them.  Holland sent an email to me on the 13th informing me I would get a FCC and a refund.  Because there was no "choice" and the company said in the email, they would refund my money, the bank and insurance both said they had no obligation to contest anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

We and 5 other friends had placed deposits for a cruise on Veendam for Jan 24, 2021 for a week cruise.   Then we worried that the 7 of us would not be able to congregate on the ship as we have done every year in the past, so we all decided to cancel and rent a large house in Florida.    Called in to cancel just after 4th of July.   We found our deposits credited back to our credit cards by July 10!!   We were told it might take 60 days!!   I was amazed when I saw the refund so soon!    Interesting to note,  we had not used a travel agent  as we typically do -- we all used a HA Personal Cruise Repr to make the bookings.....wondering now if that makes any difference?    

We had a deposit on an Oct 2020 cruise that we canceled on June 11. Our deposit was credited back to our credit card on June 12. We had booked it through the Big Box travel agent.

 

On the other hand, we are still waiting for a refund of the taxes and port fees for our June 7 cruise that HAL canceled on April 16.

Edited by IPB4IGO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 9:05 AM, vegas-cruiser2 said:

The cruise industry is hurting the entire world of passengers. Literally they are screwing themselves and if they don't get off their butts nobody will want to ever cruise again. 

HAL is hurting the travel agents as well.  Taking back earned and protected commissions  is no way to maintain

trust and brand loyalty.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

 

 

Hello Silver!

 

I called.  Got through with no wait.  Long story, we will need to send an e-mail to this address:  reservations_submit@hollandamerica.com .  These FCD’s seem to be falling through the cracks…

 

I am pasting my e-mail (less personal information).  You can then just change the needed info for yourself and send one too.  I of course, have not yet received a response to the e-mail...

 

 

After a long wait some time ago we received FCC’s for our canceled sailing on the (ship name & date).  These appear to be correct.

 

Last night, a credit arrived to our credit card.  That amount appears to be $200 short, which is the value of the FCD’s used to book this cruise.  The FCD numbers were  (if not known, need to call HAL to obtain).

 

These FCD’s do not appear in my account on-line.  We would be just as happy (in fact, would prefer) to have the FCD’s re-instated as we would to receive a cash refund.

 

I was told to provide identifying information in this message.  DOB is ________.  My mariner number is __________.

 

This cruise was paid for as follows:

FCD: $200

Visa payment : $amount on date.

Total amount paid:  $amount + FCD.

 

“Credits” have been received as follows:

FCC for name:  $______  ($_______ plus 25% bonus)

FCC for name:  $______ ($_______ plus 25% bonus)

Total above:  $amount BEFORE bonus

Refund to Visa (taxes, fees, and Flight Ease) received date:  $amount

Total amount recovered:  $sum of FCC base and refund - likely $200 short

 

Balance remaining:  $Original amount paid - $base amount of FCD's and refund = $200.00.

 

Please let me know if the $200 will be refunded to the Visa card or if the FCD’s will be reinstated.  I can be contacted by phone if preferred at (number).

 

I hope this helps!  I will report back when I hear from them.  There is a cruise in Dec of 2021 we would like to book but I would much rather use an FCD to book it!

 

 

 

Thanks! I will copy this and file it away for future use.  Not to be negative, but it may very well be necessary to do so.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 9:43 AM, Boatdrill said:

HAL is hurting the travel agents as well.  Taking back earned and protected commissions  is no way to maintain

trust and brand loyalty.    

 

Problem is that ALL cruise lines were / are affected. CDC just extended date that ships can sail to or from USA till Sept 30th which totally kills the Alaska runs this summer. Alaska will be hurting badly.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. Finally. Our 125% FCC showed up in my account today with an expiration date of July 16, 2021 to book and December 31, 2022 to sail. 129 days from cancellation date. The amount was correct, too. We did seem to lose our FCD of $200.00 that we booked with, but they converted it to the FCC, so I guess I'm happy. Relieved is more like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

Well. Finally. Our 125% FCC showed up in my account today with an expiration date of July 16, 2021 to book and December 31, 2022 to sail. 129 days from cancellation date. The amount was correct, too. We did seem to lose our FCD of $200.00 that we booked with, but they converted it to the FCC, so I guess I'm happy. Relieved is more like it. 

So glad to hear your wait is over...you were very patient!  I am still waiting for the full refund I requested in April for the HAL cancelled July 10 Alaska cruise.  Last week I received a full refund for the first of the 2 cabins I booked.  I did a live chat today and was given the # for accounting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Alaska 2021 cruise was cancelled last week and I received my $100 FCC immediately and my excursion refunds today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Crew News said:

My Alaska 2021 cruise was cancelled last week and I received my $100 FCC immediately and my excursion refunds today. 

Why did HAL cancel your cruise for next year ?  This makes it difficult to have confidence in the sailings listed on their website.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Why did HAL cancel your cruise for next year ?  This makes it difficult to have confidence in the sailings listed on their website.  

 

HAL sold the Maasdam on which I was scheduled to cruise to Alaska in 2021.  I opted for a Northbound and Southbound to replace it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crew News said:

 

HAL sold the Maasdam on which I was scheduled to cruise to Alaska in 2021.  I opted for a Northbound and Southbound to replace it.

Since the cruise was cancelled because of the sale, sounds like you moved to the front of the line for FCC and refunds. 🙂  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our Canada/New England to FLL on the Zuiderdam in October (that we booked thru that big box TA) was canceled by HA in early May,  and I finally got notice, a few days ago, from my credit card that our deposit was refunded by Holland America. 

Edited by Walfam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, vegas-cruiser2 said:

 

Problem is that ALL cruise lines were / are affected. CDC just extended date that ships can sail to or from USA till Sept 30th which totally kills the Alaska runs this summer. Alaska will be hurting badly.

Alan

Actually the problem for travel agents is  that HAL told them the commissions would be protected. That has turned out not to be true.    It's like receiving a pay check through automatic deposit into your back account, and months later, when the company is having financial trouble, they take that paycheck out of your bank account, with no explanation,  and no date provided for when you will be repaid. You call the company, and they agree that the commission is protected, but have nothing else to say about it.  

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, SilvertoGold said:

 

Good luck with the phone call.  Can you report back what you learned?  This topic appears to be a big question mark.

 

I received a response by e-mail from HAL last night.  The response I received read "We do show that the remaining refund in question is still pending processing back to the credit card company. It will be issued back to you as soon as we reach it in our que."

 

However, traveling friends (same cruise, same cancelation) received a different response.  That one read "The Future Cruise Deposit of $100 per person is included in the future cruise credit you received."  As they are still $200 short, needless to say they are following up yet again.

 

This really shouldn't be that difficult as it is basic accounting.

 

Good luck all!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StartrainDD said:

 

I received a response by e-mail from HAL last night.  The response I received read "We do show that the remaining refund in question is still pending processing back to the credit card company. It will be issued back to you as soon as we reach it in our que."

 

However, traveling friends (same cruise, same cancelation) received a different response.  That one read "The Future Cruise Deposit of $100 per person is included in the future cruise credit you received."  As they are still $200 short, needless to say they are following up yet again.

 

This really shouldn't be that difficult as it is basic accounting.

 

Good luck all!

 

 

Amazing!  We have decided not to use any of our FCDs when we book next.  Figure there is good chance cruise will be cancelled, so trying to keep it simple for the refund/FCC :)

 

Please keep us updated!  This is so unreal.  We are still waiting for our refund from the March 15 departure.  I would love to know how HAL is doing this: not believable that they are doing it "by sail date" which seems to be the mantra.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilvertoGold said:

 

Amazing!  We have decided not to use any of our FCDs when we book next.  Figure there is good chance cruise will be cancelled, so trying to keep it simple for the refund/FCC 🙂

 

Please keep us updated!  This is so unreal.  We are still waiting for our refund from the March 15 departure.  I would love to know how HAL is doing this: not believable that they are doing it "by sail date" which seems to be the mantra.

 

 

Just this week we used a Princess FCD to book a cruise for August 2021.  That is now the only sailing to Greenland next year other than Voyage of the Vikings, which is over our budget (was planning on Rotterdam, but she is now sold...).

 

Sure hope that happens!  Figure if they are not sailing by then the cruise lines are likely all bankrupt and we all will have lost any funds they have - this way we didn't need to put out any additional cash.

 

All the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StartrainDD said:

 

Just this week we used a Princess FCD to book a cruise for August 2021.  That is now the only sailing to Greenland next year other than Voyage of the Vikings, which is over our budget (was planning on Rotterdam, but she is now sold...).

 

Sure hope that happens!  Figure if they are not sailing by then the cruise lines are likely all bankrupt and we all will have lost any funds they have - this way we didn't need to put out any additional cash.

 

All the best!

 

You make a good point for using FCDs :)  We have to use our FCC by December this year, to sail by December 2021.  Not a lot to choose from right now, as we want to sail from homeport.  Will wait for November and hope HAL has more cruises set up. 

 

For you by August 2021, I hope so!  Have to be positive and consider we will all just be moving the FCCs along into the future, if the lines don't go under!

 

Will look forward to seeing what happens with your FCD and your cruise.

 

Edited by SilvertoGold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got our refund for the April 5th Volendam Panama Canal cruise a few days ago.

It took a couple of calls to get to the right person and then it was done shortly after.

 

We will probably book a similar cruise for 2022 if circumstances allow. 

2021 seems to be too soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, SilvertoGold said:

 

Amazing!  We have decided not to use any of our FCDs when we book next.  Figure there is good chance cruise will be cancelled, so trying to keep it simple for the refund/FCC 🙂

 

Please keep us updated!  This is so unreal.  We are still waiting for our refund from the March 15 departure.  I would love to know how HAL is doing this: not believable that they are doing it "by sail date" which seems to be the mantra.

 

 

Same here from March 21st sailing.

Seems most on that roll call received their refund or FCC already. Not us though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I had a cruise booked on the Maasdam for April 2021 that I paid another $550 for the Copper Canyon railroad tour, and I haven't jumped to the top of the line. And I don't want to-my cancelled TA (which was paid in full) and I asked to be converted to FCC was to be applied to the Maasdam cruise. On that cruise, HAL said they would give double FCC. My TA was cancelled over 2 months ago, and I have nothing. I got a notice about my tour money being refunded, but even that sait it may take 60 days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 11:48 AM, Boatdrill said:

Why did HAL cancel your cruise for next year ?  This makes it difficult to have confidence in the sailings listed on their website.  

 

 

Here's their weasel words regarding continuing to sell booking on cruises that may never sail.  This is from the top of the HAL home page:

 

"We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess booking one of those 'phantom' cruises would be fine if you are fine with buying a pig in a poke, are happy waiting a 100 days for a refund, or want to play the FCC  whack-a-mole mugs game.

 

We would take a different approach.  If due a refund we would go the credit card dispute route.  Our next booking will not be well after cruising has resumed to our satisfaction.....not to the cruise line's satisfaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have received all of our refunds, this last time just three days after HAL cancelled our 2021 Maasdam to Alaska by selling the ship.  We have yet to pick a new cruise to apply our future cruise credits but all our booked shore excursions were refunded nearly immediately.  Our 2020 Maasdam to Alaska, where we would be RIGHT now if the world hadn't changed, the refunds all received within 34 days.  We are not complaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...