Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jawz33

Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Interesting interview with FdR:

 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/05/articles/disease/ncls-ceo-del-rio-cruise-restrictions-should-immediately-stop/

 

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

 

Marc

 

Just another observation from this interesting article (thanks Marc for posting). The writer is clearly not sympathetic to FDR or NCL He writes as follows:

 

 "Ironically, NCL permitted its crew members to crowd together without masks during several parties earlier this month on the Norwegian Escape(above right) and Norwegian Epic (left) at the port of Miami. In an article titled “Ridiculously Overcrowded” Norwegian Escape Sails to Miami, we noted that after NCL assembled employees from several different NCL ships aboard the Norwegian Escape which sailed to Miami, the cruise line scheduled a series of parties on the pool decks of several of its ships. It made no effort to enforce social distancing or the wearing of masks."

 

LOL!!! These crew members have been for two months without outside contact, in essence in a forced quarantine . Why the heck should they be wearing masks or social distancing??? This is the lunacy we're living these days. Well, maybe I'm a contrarian, but if Mr FDR approved this party ( which I assume he had to), he's OK in my book!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that people that are quarantined together for a long period of  do not need to wear masks or do distancing.  It is like being home with our family!  Not sure why FDR would approve parties.  I assume that the CEO/President of Regent would do that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree that people that are quarantined together for a long period of  do not need to wear masks or do distancing.  It is like being home with our family!  Not sure why FDR would approve parties.  I assume that the CEO/President of Regent would do that.

 

 

Isnt he the Chairman of NCL? The ships where the parties occurred are Norwegian cruise line ships, not Regent. Anyways, that's not the point of my comment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Isnt he the Chairman of NCL? The ships where the parties occurred are Norwegian cruise line ships, not Regent. Anyways, that's not the point of my comment 

 

Sorry - did not realize that the parties were o a NCL cruise line.  Frank Del Rio is the CEO of NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings).  Each of the three brands have their own CEO/President.  This was something that FDR put into place the first year that he attained his current position.  I do not recall who the CEO/President is of Norwegian but it is someone that worked for NCL prior to FDR replacing the former CEO.

 

I saw a photo of Regent crew members having a pool BBQ.  That made me happy and likely made it a bit easier for the crew.  They were also staying in guest suites with I'm sure that they appreciated.  

 

Agree with you that the article was negative.  It is a shame that the writer was not fully aware of the situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Sorry - did not realize that the parties were o a NCL cruise line.  Frank Del Rio is the CEO of NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings).  Each of the three brands have their own CEO/President.  This was something that FDR put into place the first year that he attained his current position.  I do not recall who the CEO/President is of Norwegian but it is someone that worked for NCL prior to FDR replacing the former CEO.

 

I saw a photo of Regent crew members having a pool BBQ.  That made me happy and likely made it a bit easier for the crew.  They were also staying in guest suites with I'm sure that they appreciated.  

 

Agree with you that the article was negative.  It is a shame that the writer was not fully aware of the situation.  

Travelcat2 is correct.  Frank Del Rio is CEO of NCLH, the parent company of Norwegian, Oceania and Regent cruise lines.  The CEO of Regent is Jason Montague.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that this is posted on another thread but feel that it should be here as well.  Canada will not be accepting cruise ships through October 31st!  Time will tell if this also affects the opening of the border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

 

I was just going to post this.  Sayanora Alaska and St. Lawrence River cruising this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For clarification purposes only, Harry Sommer is CEO/President of NCL.  So, the person being criticized is not FDR but rather Mr. Sommer.  Many of us are used to FDR being in charge of Regent and Oceania so it is easy to forget that there are three CEO/Presidents plus FDR.  The CEO/President of Oceania is Bob Binder.  

 

Agree that it was a very biased article!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

For clarification purposes only, Harry Sommer is CEO/President of NCL.  So, the person being criticized is not FDR but rather Mr. Sommer.  Many of us are used to FDR being in charge of Regent and Oceania so it is easy to forget that there are three CEO/Presidents plus FDR.  The CEO/President of Oceania is Bob Binder.  

 

Agree that it was a very biased article!

Regardless of the Organization Chart, FDR is the top person at NCLH, which in turn owns these three companies, so obviously, he has a bit of saying on how things are run, don't you think? And FDR was the person interviewed for this article. Surprising he would agree to be interviewed by such an unprofessional , hit and run person, you would think FDR has better things to do with his time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Regardless of the Organization Chart, FDR is the top person at NCLH, which in turn owns these three companies, so obviously, he has a bit of saying on how things are run, don't you think? And FDR was the person interviewed for this article. Surprising he would agree to be interviewed by such an unprofessional , hit and run person, you would think FDR has better things to do with his time.

Frank did not give his “normal” response to the interview (keeping already announced protocols to himself).  He likely learned quickly where the interviewer was coming from.

 

In terms of having better things to do, he no longer runs the cruise companies but rather manages the people that run the three brands (these are his words - not a quote but close).  Of course he has a say in how the companies are run but I do not see him as a “helicopter CEO”.  He has people in place that have the ability to run the companies almost as well as he can run them.  And I have no doubt that he took the lead in terms of obtaining the funds needed to keep NCLH going for at least 18 months.

 

in my opinion, doing interviews and being transparent to the media as well as to the public is extremely important.  It isn’t an easy thing to do but he knows that this is necessary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

 

in my opinion, doing interviews and being transparent to the media as well as to the public is extremely important.  It isn’t an easy thing to do but he knows that this is necessary.  

And thank God for him! This may be one of your best comments ever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More of a problem is the US withdrawal from the WHO . This will put US citizens in a difficult position re arrivals in other Countries. Also the backing out of the WHO will make a global vaccine harder to share. Not everybody are dual nationals and so able to go to other countries to be vaccinated as Travelcat2 has said she will do. This is going to make recovery of the cruise industry much harder as the USA and others Countries could be on different paths.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Regardless of the Organization Chart, FDR is the top person at NCLH, which in turn owns these three companies, so obviously, he has a bit of saying on how things are run, don't you think? And FDR was the person interviewed for this article. Surprising he would agree to be interviewed by such an unprofessional , hit and run person, you would think FDR has better things to do with his time.

He was not interviewed by the hit and run attorney. The attorney took things out of context  from an interview with Breaking Travel News and put his own sleazy spin on it. There is a link to the original article in the attorney's post. Read the original article and compare it to the attorney's spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an interesting Travel Weekly piece, recapping separate interviews with FDR's counterparts at Carnival Corp (Arnold Donald) and RCCL (Richard Fain).

 

The lead off of the story mirrors recent comments from FDR.

 

Emphasizing that it is still premature to say when or where cruises are likely to resume and what the experience will be like, the CEOs of the two largest cruise companies offered hints recently about what a return to service could entail.

Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Corp., and Richard Fain, CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCCL), in separate conversations delivered some similar messages, each pointing out that many of the decisions around a resumption will not be theirs.  First and foremost, it will be determined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and its regulatory counterparts in other nations

 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/RCCL-Carnival-Corp-CEOs-offer-glimpse-of-return-to-sea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just read this morning that countries that will accept foreign visitors do not want people from the U.S. as we have the highest number of cases in the world.  Maybe it is time to enforce social distancing and masks or we could have this virus continuing indefinitely.  This not only affects cruising (and traveling in general) but our schools and jobs.  Hoping that we can all try to do better.

 

Note:  Not sure what will happen with WHO since the U.S. is disassociating itself from them.  

Edited by Travelcat2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Just read this morning that countries that will accept foreign visitors do not want people from the U.S. as we have the highest number of cases in the world.  Maybe it is time to enforce social distancing and masks or we could have this virus continuing indefinitely.  This not only affects cruising (and traveling in general) but our schools and jobs.  Hoping that we can all try to do better.

 

Note:  Not sure what will happen with WHO since the U.S. is disassociating itself from them.  

Don’t worry TC, your not on your own. The UK has been excluded from Spain and Greece possibly for the rest of the summer. We still have higher infection rates albeit the r value is running between  0.4 and 0.7.

 

The WHO will continue there’s been a commitment from a certain country to plow a considerable amount of investment.

Stay well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Herb and I took a drive to the beach today. I was so astounded at the number of people not wearing masks, and no social distancing. We were planning to take a short walk but decided against it. I really don’t understand people....

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Don’t worry TC, your not on your own. The UK has been excluded from Spain and Greece possibly for the rest of the summer. We still have higher infection rates albeit the r value is running between  0.4 and 0.7.

 

The WHO will continue there’s been a commitment from a certain country to plow a considerable amount of investment.

Stay well.

 

Thank you for your post.  It is good to know that we are not on our own.  Maybe a U.S./U.K. cruise would be good (if there is anywhere that would let us in):classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Herb and I took a drive to the beach today. I was so astounded at the number of people not wearing masks, and no social distancing. We were planning to take a short walk but decided against it. I really don’t understand people....

sheila

Sorry Sheila but, was it hot?? Even in 70 degrees temperature I cannot stand that mask if I'm going out for a walk, I start getting dizzy. I wear it (because I have no choice) when I go into grocery store. There're many studies about masks that show they dont really protect you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Just read this morning that countries that will accept foreign visitors do not want people from the U.S. as we have the highest number of cases in the world.  Maybe it is time to enforce social distancing and masks or we could have this virus continuing indefinitely.  This not only affects cruising (and traveling in general) but our schools and jobs.  Hoping that we can all try to do better.

 

Note:  Not sure what will happen with WHO since the U.S. is disassociating itself from them.  

Maybe having the highest number of cases has to do with our population, how much we're testing , and the transparency of our numbers?  No, its not time to enforce any masks, many studies that indicate they are useless. people that are afraid or high risk should stay home. You're welcome to keep using it, I certainly wont unless its forced on me,  at which time I'll look to move to where I can be free. 

 

Editing to add , since you mention the WHO, according to them only a sick person, or someone caring for an infected person needs to wear a mask https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Edited by cruiseluv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As per Foggyzx9r has said, different countries have different rules for other countries. 

Here, in the Bailiwick of Guernsey, we have had no new cases for 31 days and no active cases for 5 days. We are now allowed to travel within the Bailiwick and non essential off island travel is also allowed. However, no ferries and the airport open 5 days a week with 1 return flight a day to the UK. On return you are interviewed by border force (and video recorded), then 14 days self isolation which if broken brings a fine up to £10,000 or the possibility of imprisonment.

So, for those of you who have read that, it looks like no cruise anytime soon for us. 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One point on the WHO guidance - it's primarily for global distribution.  I was able to find a good supply of masks at my local Ace Hardware yesterday.  I wear them in public to protect others, as well as myself....and some of the WHO guidance reminds me of CDC guidance early on, when any type of mask was difficult to find, and there weren't enough for healthcare workers and first responders.  Public health recommendations, I think, often have to incorporate practicality as well as absolute science.

 

The answer may come down to practicality, according to Dr. William Schaffner, medical director of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases.

At this point in the United States' outbreak, nearly everyone can find a mask or make one, Schaffner explained, which may not be true in every country around the world, especially countries with fewer resources than the U.S.

Advising universal mask wearing in a place where it's impossible to adhere to that guidance could hurt the WHO's reputation in those countries, he explained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Sorry Sheila but, was it hot?? Even in 70 degrees temperature I cannot stand that mask if I'm going out for a walk, I start getting dizzy. I wear it (because I have no choice) when I go into grocery store. There're many studies about masks that show they dont really protect you. 

To be clear, cruise luv, we're being advised to wear masks not to protect ourselves, but to protect others from ourselves.  In addition to the practical aspect of this, it's a show of respect for those around us.  And if you think masks are uncomfortable, try being intubated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...