Celebrity Changes in the Last Three Years?

Hi,

We hit elite in 2017 and stopped cruising Celebrity for awhile.  There were a lot of changes happening back then. So I'm sure there have been several in the past three years.  One thing we discovered when we just booked our Solstice A1 aft cabin for a June 2021 Alaska cruise is they no longer give Captains Club category upgrades in Aqua Class. Another thing I discovered is they now offer you three "free" perks but charge you an extra over $200pp fare for the perks.

So my question is, what changes can we expect not having sailed X in awhile?  Thankx for your help.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

If I am not mistaken they have upgraded all their ships. They did a whole revamp of the low class cabins and bonded some medium class cabins making them luxury cabins (not sure about the last one). Also there are way too many promotional events this days and their policy has been changing constantly in the last three years 

The one category up is still listed as a benefit under Classic. Your to book a A1, but pay the price of a A2. Must be asked for when booking. Over the years Celebrity has had problems with their IT department. Did Celebrity or your TA tell you that? We are booked on Millie for next June. Hoping to use our FCC.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

28 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If I am not mistaken they have upgraded all their ships. They did a whole revamp of the low class cabins and bonded some medium class cabins making them luxury cabins (not sure about the last one). Also there are way too many promotional events this days and their policy has been changing constantly in the last three years 

Only 4 ships have been revitalized.  The others have been put on hold.  And many do not think it is an upgrade at all when you don't even have a table in your stateroom and a minuscule one on your balcony.  Others like the IKEA like styling.

First, yes, you can get upgraded from an A2 to an A1 with Captains Club.  We do it all the time (and we've sailed a lot in the past three years, mostly in Aqua).

What has changed?  Hard for me to pin it down exactly.  I don't recall when the Solstice was to up updated, but given current issues I would expect that would be put on hold anyway, so it will not have changed a lot from when you last sailed.  The whole perk thing really varies by date and promotion.  I don't like how they do it now personally.  Also, until just recently, they were often advertising non-refundable deposit prices.  I think that is on hold with the current crisis, but it was a ploy they were using IMHO to fool people into thinking they were getting a deal.   Onboard not a lot has changed.  I feel like there is fewer staff per customer, but that might have been the case 3 years ago also.  Same with less live music in their bars, especially before dinner but I think that has been that way for quite awhile.  Honestly, I can't think of a lot that has changed recently as far as the onboard experience on the non-revolutionized ships.

The extra $200pp for 3 perks is a GREAT deal.  So, it costs you an additional $400, but you get $300 OBC ($150pp), the Classic Beverage Package for two, and either free Gratuities or the Internet.   

You are now only getting 1/2 the size of the original size chocolate on your pillow.  🍷

No daily bottled water in AQ class, just 2 bottles on the first day. The daily 3 pieces of fruit which we never ate, is also gone in AQ and maybe other classes that got it (Concierge)?.  Bottle of sparkling wine is not in your SR when you arrive.  If you don't ask for it you don't get it.

Yeah I've used the A2 to A1 before. However my TA called a rep Friday who said it wasn't available any longer to Aqua Class. So thankx for the tip.  I have her checking again but she was on hold for 3 hours today. She said she'll try again Monday.

They had already cut that water perk when I was in AQ before.  I usually give the sparkling wine as  tip to one of the crew I like. Not to my taste.

I do remember they had switched to cheaper cuts of meat in the Buffet and put a lot of dutch ovens out with heavy sauce to cover the tougher meat. I presume they're still doing that.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

While there have been some changes in the past 3 years I think when cruising restarts there will  be many more changes.

The change that comes to mind in the past 3 years is the change to the Captains Club cocktail hour.  It is still 5-7 but now you an get unlimited drinks from the Captains Club menu at most bars ( not MDR or restaurants) or you can go to the designated lounge as in the past.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 7:21 PM, Wine-O said:

Maybe your TA was thinking of C1.  You cannot upgrade to C1 at the C2 price, but always have been able to get A1 for the A2 price.  🍷

I  booked A1 last night.  there were no A2  cabins available only guaranteed.  I thought no big deal.  We are Select and felt they would probably change what the fee was and reduce our balance to that of the A2.  On hold forever and the rep said she cannot do that as there is a new promotion and it would cost me an additional $700.  So frustrated with this as it doesn't make sense to me.  We might just cancel altogether and not cruise next year.   

Our cruise this year on the Reflection in March was cancelled by Celebrity and we still are waiting for the refund.  It's a hot mess and am told one thing by our TA and another by the customer service people at Celebrity.   

7 hours ago, wallysdtr said:

I  booked A1 last night.  there were no A2  cabins available only guaranteed.  I thought no big deal.  We are Select and felt they would probably change what the fee was and reduce our balance to that of the A2.  On hold forever and the rep said she cannot do that as there is a new promotion and it would cost me an additional $700.  So frustrated with this as it doesn't make sense to me.  We might just cancel altogether and not cruise next year.   

Our cruise this year on the Reflection in March was cancelled by Celebrity and we still are waiting for the refund.  It's a hot mess and am told one thing by our TA and another by the customer service people at Celebrity.   

The Captain's Club one category upgrade benefit has always required there to be an available cabin in the lower category in order for it to apply.  Without an available cabin in the lower category, there is no official price (and the guarantee cabin price cannot be used instead.)

31 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

The Captain's Club one category upgrade benefit has always required there to be an available cabin in the lower category in order for it to apply.  Without an available cabin in the lower category, there is no official price (and the guarantee cabin price cannot be used instead.)

I got a one category  upgrade on an O/V where the Cat 07 was at a GTY price.  I got the Cat 06 for that GTY price which was around $40pp lower.  Also, I had an A2 stateroom that was sold out.  When an A1 became available, Celebrity let me upgrade to the A1 using the one category upgrade deal.

On the first one, I wasn't booked.  On the second one, I was already booked.  🍷

50 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

I got a one category  upgrade on an O/V where the Cat 07 was at a GTY price.  I got the Cat 06 for that GTY price which was around $40pp lower.  Also, I had an A2 stateroom that was sold out.  When an A1 became available, Celebrity let me upgrade to the A1 using the one category upgrade deal.

On the first one, I wasn't booked.  On the second one, I was already booked.  🍷

Congrats - as usual Celebrity is consistently inconsistent!  How did they come up with the A2 price when there was no advertised price since there was no A2 availability?

Regarding the use of guarantee categories, here is the "official" exclusion from their website:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes categories 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

Notice that it specifically states that guarantee categories are excluded - consistently inconsistent!

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Congrats - as usual Celebrity is consistently inconsistent!  How did they come up with the A2 price when there was no advertised price since there was no A2 availability?

I was booked and paid in an A2 stateroom.  An A1 on the hump (1606) became available, and my TA must have smooth talked the Celebrity agent to give me the A1 stateroom for the A2 price I had paid.  Maybe it was pure luck or caught the agent in a good mood.  🍷

On 5/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

We hit elite in 2017...

Unlimited CC HH drinks loaded on your Seapass card each evening (except the first evening) to have during the CC HH (5 to 7:00 PM) in most bars. The CC HH is still held in the Sky Lounge from 5 to 7:00 PM (except the first evening) on the M&S class ships.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, NantahalaCruiser said:

I called back and got a better deal with the celebrity rep who knew what she was talking about.  We were booked with A2 and upgraded to A1 and got 4 perks (instead of 3 without OBC) for only an extra $50.