Cruise Critic Community
Italy52

Cancellation Refund-- Itemized Statement?

How cancelled cruises are handled is new to me.  We have two Princess-cancelled cruises that we are awaiting refunds for and know that it will take some time to be reimbursed.  We chose Option 1 in both cases/cruises were also paid in full.  My question is this:  will we received an itemized statement showing how the money was refunded:  so much to credit card per refund policy (taxes/port fees, excursions, etc), so much to FCC per refund policy, so much to FCD (which we used on 1 of our cruises) per refund policy, etc.  We also had Princess gift cards that were used on both cruises.  Spelling out line items will sure make it easier to reconcile my records vs. Princess.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted (edited)

The FCC will show up in your personalizer as separate entries for the cruise fare amount and the bonus amount split between passengers. As for the other items, not yet. I sent an email to Princess a week ago asking for the same thing. Some sort of itemization including as to the what is on the mysterious "holding account".  No Reply, other than the automated, "we got you email". 

Edited by Musky Ike

To OP:  for my port taxes, fees, drinks, dining, & excursions refunded to my credit card there was no itemized list provided. I had to look at the booking emails I had received when I prepaid for those things. It never showed in my Personalizer nor did my TA get a list. 
the FCC shows up in her Captain Circle account once they give it to you. 

I cannot answer any other questions. Be safe

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.  Have a spread sheet already prepared, guess I will just check off items as they are processed.

As I understand it now and what happened with my cancelled Tahiti cruise after I selected Option 1 was:

1. Cruise fare was converted into Future Cruise Credits and showed up unannounced in my Cruise Personalizer

(These FCCs were then applied in some fashion to 2 different cruises I have booked. Initially against the cruise fare of my 2nd cruise.  Then a week or so later against most of the cruise fare of my soonest cruise.)

2. Port taxes, fees, and insurance premium went into a separate account in my Cruise Personalizer. They are no longer automatically refunded to your credit card.  I had called my PVP and she pointed out they were available to be used aginst similar costs on future cruises.  We agreed to apply them against my 2nd cruise.  They have yet to show in the amount due for the cruise though this was 2 weeks ago.  My PVP said she could request them to be refunded to my card if that is what I wanted.  I decided otherwise.

26 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

As I understand it now and what happened with my cancelled Tahiti cruise after I selected Option 1 was:

1. Cruise fare was converted into Future Cruise Credits and showed up unannounced in my Cruise Personalizer

(These FCCs were then applied in some fashion to 2 different cruises I have booked. Initially against the cruise fare of my 2nd cruise.  Then a week or so later against most of the cruise fare of my soonest cruise.)

2. Port taxes, fees, and insurance premium went into a separate account in my Cruise Personalizer. They are no longer automatically refunded to your credit card.  I had called my PVP and she pointed out they were available to be used aginst similar costs on future cruises.  We agreed to apply them against my 2nd cruise.  They have yet to show in the amount due for the cruise though this was 2 weeks ago.  My PVP said she could request them to be refunded to my card if that is what I wanted.  I decided otherwise.

Thanks for your response.  So the "unaccounced" FCCs placement into your Cruise Personalizer is something I have been hearing about and plan to keep a watchful eye out for these.  Now, as far as the FCCs being applied to already booked cruises is something new.  Was this done automatically by Princess/PVP?  We do not book directly with Princess and use an outside TA.  When our cruise was cancelled by Princess I called my outside TA and rebooked our cruise.  I am guessing that since I did not book directly with Princess they would not automatically transfer anything without consulting with me or my TA ---Yes???

Port taxes, fees now going into a separate account in the Cruise Personalizer.  Is this the "holding account" I have heard mentioned?  I assume this money can be used for anything cruise-related that I choose to use these funds for:  port taxes, fees, shore excursions, drink pkgs, etc?

Any clarification you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.

The FCC was applied arbitrarily by P. I assume it was the computer because my PVP was not aware of it nor was I until I called and discussed things.  After the phone call I went into my Cruise Personalizer and found what she had seen in the system during our call.

14 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

The FCC was applied arbitrarily by P. I assume it was the computer because my PVP was not aware of it nor was I until I called and discussed things.  After the phone call I went into my Cruise Personalizer and found what she had seen in the system during our call.

Thanks.

I am still waiting for our March cruise credit to show up.  I was checking my credit card statement once and a while for refunds, none have shown up.   Princess is probably bleeding too much money now for cash refunds.  I would rather have the future credit anyhow ( positive thinking ). 

I didn't need an "itemized statement" from Princess that explained how they calculated my FCC. I took the fare amount from my booking confirmation and divided by 4. EZPZ.

35 minutes ago, muffydawg said:

I didn't need an "itemized statement" from Princess that explained how they calculated my FCC. I took the fare amount from my booking confirmation and divided by 4. EZPZ.

Wish it was that easy for me.  I have cruise fare, excursions, water packages and gift cards associated with the cruise.  I have all my back-up documents so at least I have something to compare my refund to in case the numbers don't jive.

This might not relate exactly, but for our cruise cancelled for medical reasons I had to do the math myself. Adding Insurance refunds and various amounts refunded to credit card. The numbers did add up to our total expense but it was not clear what individual amounts were for.

I printed my invoices after each payment.  When I last spoke to a Princess representative, I was told the cruise fare refunds would be returned to the last credit card used for final payment but additional payments for shore excursions, coffee cards, gratuities, etc. would be refunded to the cards used.  I received my future cruise credits but no refunds and now over 60 days.

My first booking that was canceled was relatively simple.  My cruise was canceled by Princess on March 12th and I chose option #2.  I briefly conferred with my TA and told her I would take care of sending in my choice and sent her a copy.  Back in mid to late April, I received my FCC in my account.  Even though I have a cruise booked directly through Princess for later this year and two other cruises booked through travel agents for next year, my FCC has not been applied to any of these sailings.  It is showing in my personalizer and ready for me to use it when I am ready to apply it.  Because it takes soooo long to get it back, I don't want to apply it until 

1) they are back up and running 

2) final payment is due 

As for the FCD (future cruise deposit), just yesterday, I noticed the FCD I had down on this cruise was sent back to my account with the status of 'Active'.  I'm not sure if they extended the expiration date but, either way, I'm fine with it being returned as such.  

Now, for my credit card refund, I haven't gotten anything back on this as of yet.  This is where mine is just a little more complex but not by much.  I actually put $500 on one card and paid the balance on another card when final payment was due.  Not sure how that is going to come back yet but so far, I'm not seeing a refund on either card.  

As for my other couple of cruises that were canceled, well ... I don't think we are even close to expecting anything to be done on those as of yet.  I have a couple of gift cards involved but, otherwise, they are also pretty simple.  

5 minutes ago, Ereggae said:

I printed my invoices after each payment.  When I last spoke to a Princess representative, I was told the cruise fare refunds would be returned to the last credit card used for final payment but additional payments for shore excursions, coffee cards, gratuities, etc. would be refunded to the cards used.  I received my future cruise credits but no refunds and now over 60 days.

The timing on this was quite apropos.  thanks!  I had that same question myself.