Wearing a mask

Bawbob

12 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Ding ding ding we have a winner. The mask mandate here in Kansas City does not specify how or what the mask is made of. it also says you can use one of the clear plastic face shields in place of the mask. I am going to make one of those from office supplies that I have on hand at my business. Plenty of youtube videos showing how to make a face shield in less than 5 minutes.

Susie,

Hate to say but you may not like it. I'm a nurse and the plastic face shields are hot as Hades. It's like a hot humidifier in there. Your nose acts like a heater with a fogger attached- I pour perspiration wearing one. Maybe you have something devised that controls that and is more ventilated. The regular masks are hot as it is, but plastic face shields HOT HOT HOT.

I've said this before but you can have fun making a regular mask,- Star Wars or Tahitian pareo or even Ruth Bader Ginsberg

masks. I get stopped with my Peppa Pig one. Very best to you.

• Like 1

Nancy, the ones I sewed over the weekend aren't too bad. My husband gave me a cotton madras shirt that he was getting rid of that I cut up and made the 2 masks from. The fabric is rather flimsy and I made it 2 layer. I found 2 patterns for masks that barely touch your face due to the construction and made one of each style.  My husband wore his yesterday while grocery shopping and reported it is preferable to the paper disposable ones.

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

Nancy, the ones I sewed over the weekend aren't too bad. My husband gave me a cotton madras shirt that he was getting rid of that I cut up and made the 2 masks from. The fabric is rather flimsy and I made it 2 layer. I found 2 patterns for masks that barely touch your face due to the construction and made one of each style.  My husband wore his yesterday while grocery shopping and reported it is preferable to the paper disposable ones.

Susie, it sounds great. I too made several out of husband's discarded Hawaiian shirts. Gave several away and people feel like they are their pretend-vacation masks. I have masks for every occasion- more masks than I have shoes and my husband gives me  a hard time on the shoes. Family and friends who don't sew are exceedingly grateful for them.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Ding ding ding we have a winner. The mask mandate here in Kansas City does not specify how or what the mask is made of. it also says you can use one of the clear plastic face shields in place of the mask. I am going to make one of those from office supplies that I have on hand at my business. Plenty of youtube videos showing how to make a face shield in less than 5 minutes.

So you think a plastic shield is going to be more comfortable than a soft, cotton mask?

Did you ever notice the same folks that don't wear masks at the grocery also don't pay attention to the directional arrows on the floor now recommended on the aisles? Some people just can't be bothered. I figure either they are really dumb or just don't care, or a combination of the two. 

• Like 3

I was thinking about making a face mask like this for use on planes to fly me to my cruise. This will also come in handy on the ship if cruise lines require use of a face mask onboard. You can eat and rink while wearing this style mask.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/22/national/veil-face-masks/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_23_06_2020)&fbclid=IwAR1I5hQ4qYFcaJdxrPkX54BCuM2CD34yfiD94cYmOSCH5vsDR-7qkiDzD6k#.XvIRfC2ZPeY

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I figure either they are really dumb or just don't care, or a combination of the two. 

As I replied earlier "or arrogant." When they don't do even those simple things I get them out of my life forever.

@susiesan

Susie- it looks pretty cool other than what is pictured is more like a thin see through veil, not really providing any protection when you cough or sneeze. If you make it out of a tightly woven fabric (batik is the best) it looks like you could make it work.

But depending on what else you're wearing with it people might mistake you for a belly dancer.😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CptBoatface said:

A prostitute sells their own body. A pimp or madam sells someone else. Human trafficking contributes to a legacy?

Perhaps rising above it does? Just stop it. 

I think we've beaten the subject of masks to death but wanted maybe end it on a hopeful note?

Someone this week made an entry (maybe not even on this thread?) saying the thought of people rewearing masks after wearing once was "yuck". But do many think of those that can't afford a mask or even have a home or a washer/dryer to clean them in? We all know that they aren't effective after one wearing but do the indigent know it, or if they do, how are they going to get extra masks or wash them yet?

The person who thought "yuck" I think lived in Colorado. There's a terrific website that lists organizations needing and distributing masks to the poor. It's Deaconess and there are a lot of others. This one lists them by state, and for instance. in Colorado there's CWEE that helps family in poverty. No, not suggesting anyone donate a washer/dryer 😉, but several masks can help people in your state.

https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask/Mask-Donations?page=2

You can buy them on Amazon or Etsy, lots of places. Or sew like the wind like the village people in The Three Amigos.👨‍💻👩‍💻

@Petoonya  Yes, that was me with the "Yuck" word.  I have actually purchased my masks and additional ones for all of my family members. The sources I have used for my masks donate additional masks to those who need one and cannot afford them with each purchase. Do not criticize if you do not know what others do. Tacky.

Also, most people who wash their face and brush their teeth everyday can surely wash the mask. Majority of them own a cell phone 😉 and much more expensive than a bar of soap.

A dirty mask helps nobody. "Yuck from CO"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

@Petoonya  Yes, that was me with the "Yuck" word.  I have actually purchased my masks and additional ones for all of my family members. The sources I have used for my masks donate additional masks to those who need one and cannot afford them with each purchase. Do not criticize if you do not know what others do. Tacky.

Also, most people who wash their face and brush their teeth everyday can surely wash the mask. Majority of them own a cell phone 😉 and much more expensive than a bar of soap.

A dirty mask helps nobody. "Yuck from CO"

TB,

I am heartily sorry that you felt criticized. It was not meant that way. I saw the word yuck and thought of some people I work with who are on the streets and struggle. They don't wash themselves everyday as they have no means to.

It's fantastic and generous that your sources donate masks to people like these who can't afford them.

Again very sorry. No harm or critique intended. I know how just a simple phrase or word said here can be misinterpreted and

pounced on. Again not my intent. Stay well.

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

We all know that they aren't effective after one wearing

I would suggest that they're not AS effective but rather better than nothing. And what constitutes "one wearing"? If I leave home and run four errands, putting my mask on before getting out of the car and removing if after the first store, is that one wearing? Or can I wear it to all four stores and that's one wearing? 

6 minutes ago, clo said:

I would suggest that they're not AS effective but rather better than nothing. And what constitutes "one wearing"? If I leave home and run four errands, putting my mask on before getting out of the car and removing if after the first store, is that one wearing? Or can I wear it to all four stores and that's one wearing? 

Cathy if you read this article by John Hopkins it explains it pretty well- how to care for your face mask. It sounds like masks should be washed daily but I interpret it is going to four stores in one day and then washing at the end of the day is perfectly fine. It really sounds like everyone needs a "wardrobe" of mask to be safe 🙂

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-how-to-care-for-your-face-mask

Some of sales and customer assistance people I’ve been working with now prefer the face shield. They like the customers see them smile and for the customer to be able to see and recognize their face. Additionally, their speech appears clearly  and less jarbled, not having to repeat themselves as often.

Least popular thing to see in many stores is a customer in a full face mask, dark glasses, and a hat!

Because Kansas City put in a mask mandate for the next 2 weeks, I reluctantly made 2 last weekend, one for myself and my DH. I have worn it on and off all week. I have not washed it yet. I keep it in my purse, pull it out when I have to wear one, take it off as soon as I can and stuff it back in my purse. I have only had it on a total time of maybe 1 hour for the whole past week. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

Because Kansas City put in a mask mandate for the next 2 weeks, I reluctantly made 2 last weekend, one for myself and my DH. I have worn it on and off all week. I have not washed it yet. I keep it in my purse, pull it out when I have to wear one, take it off as soon as I can and stuff it back in my purse. I have only had it on a total time of maybe 1 hour for the whole past week. 

Get used to the Mask

This won't be resolved in a few weeks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Cathy if you read this article by John Hopkins it explains it pretty well- how to care for your face mask. It sounds like masks should be washed daily but I interpret it is going to four stores in one day and then washing at the end of the day is perfectly fine. It really sounds like everyone needs a "wardrobe" of mask to be safe 🙂

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-how-to-care-for-your-face-mask

Thanks for that link. But it kinda contradicted itself with this:
"

• Disposable, blue surgical masks cannot be laundered or cleaned and should be thrown away when it is visibly soiled or damaged."

Also if my mask sits in my car for two or three days it's not going to be infectious.

19 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Least popular thing to see in many stores is a customer in a full face mask, dark glasses, and a hat!

I was waiting for a take-our order of Chinese food and the woman beside me had on a mask, dark glasses and perhaps a scarf. She seemed pretty knowledgeable about the food so finally I asked if she was Chinese. We both got a laugh out of that. Oh, right, she was.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Thanks for that link. But it kinda contradicted itself with this:
"

• Disposable, blue surgical masks cannot be laundered or cleaned and should be thrown away when it is visibly soiled or damaged."

Also if my mask sits in my car for two or three days it's not going to be infectious.

Cathy,

I'm baffled. The article said nothing about leaving your mask in your car for two or three days and expect it not to be infectious.....the Johns Hopkins article says it's ok to keep your mask in your car and not to forget to bring it inside to be cleaned. I might be wrong but I found nowhere in the article did it say what you claim.

"Keep your mask on until you have finished your trip, errand or work shift. You can remove it outside, once you are away from others, or in your car on your way home. Don’t forget to bring your mask inside to be cleaned. If you wait to take your mask off until you have returned home, it may be easier to put it directly into the laundry."